• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

dmac

Smash Champion
light if you scan ebay you can grab a HRAP SA2 for ~$100 depending on how lucky you get. thats an amazing deal for a sanwa stick and sanwa buttons ( i actually just ordered one myself). stock hori faceplate is kinda lame but you can mod it and put some decent artwork on it if you're interested.

is the specific stick im talking about

sanwa/seimitsu buttons are the brand used in japanese arcades. there are small differences between the two companies but they're negligible and 90% of players can't tell the difference on worn in sticks.
but like i said, small differences that are noticeable by diehards of either type. apparently most fighters use sanwa and shooters like seimitsu. the most distinguishing features about these brands are their ball tops and convex buttons. the buttons are also super sensitive.

they also feature a square restrictor gate that is widely considered to be the best kind of gate (for fighters)

when looking at hori sticks make sure they have Hori Arcade Real Pro (aka HRAP), as those are the "tournament" quality sticks. there are tons of HRAPs out there so make sure if you dont get the one above, you look for the brand of joystick and brand of buttons. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=95713 should cover any specific HRAP questions you have. just remember that unless it says sanwa or seimitsu its lower quality. if it says Hori stick and Hori buttons, its of lower quality(but hori uses all 3 for various different sticks(but consistently) so keep your eye open))

there is a korean brand that people call fantas(MyungSin), dont get those unless you know what you're interested in.

american arcades use happ sticks and happ buttons. bat top, more resistance in actual joystick motions, circular resistance gate, and concave or convex buttons.

may or may not be happ parts exactly, but thats what they look like, stick and button wise at least.

alternatively you can mix and match a lot of these parts on whatever stick you end up purchasing, you can get all the individual parts from the interwebs but it requires decent knowledge of how to work with a soldering gun and various other elbow greasy stuff. the best sticks are what you prefer, so its really a matter of tryin whats out there and figuring out what you like and then if you're able to make a stick that has everything you like, go for it

if you can wait till street fighter 4 comes out(slated for feb 2009), there will be limited edition tournament sticks that come out with the game that feature sanwa sticks and sanwa buttons with super high craftmanship... here are some very very early concept images of what they will look like, and will run for about 140 bucks.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162653 (changed it to the url cause the pictures are huge and forum breaking heh heh)

one ****ty thing about trying to convert sticks from ps2 to xbox360 is that the only *ONLY* converter out there is 90 bucks. there is no other option :( theres some weird crap microsoft does with controllers that makes it really hard to convert and this also requires you to have a *wired* 360 controller to get it to work.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-eq-49-en-70-2c8a.html

Cook

Smash Master
I'm not sure if I've spammed this thread already or not, but you guys should all come to our Brawl tournament in Kirksville, MO this Saturday. There will be some good players there and it will be lots of fun. I know we can provide a floor to sleep on for the night if you guys need it, and gas is dirt cheap right now, so you should take advantage of that. Plus, there should be some n00bs to win $$$ from. And I will buy each of you one free can of pop if you come! How's that for a sweet deal? :)

Fino

Smash Master
I don't know how apt you guys are to coming to lawrence, but I'm getting a sizable apartment next semester, and could host 'bario' for you guys. It wouldn't be darkrains, but I can only hope to help out ;) (you guys can teach me your game :D). Also, I have two rooms open if any of ya'll are looking for one down here ^_^;

~Fino

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
Plan on smash at my place this Saturday. It's likely that barrio smash will become phatgamer smash once more so we'll go off what we can throw together for this weekend. Don't know if it will be weekly like it was at David's but we can probably do bi-weekly depending on my work schedule. More to come as information warrants.

1111 NE Waterfield Village Dr.
Blue Springs, MO

From what I've heard from David, people will need to bring everything save TVs. The TVs that David was holding onto for people will now be kept at my house. Those TVs include mine, rezo's, jayray's, and both of the lawrence TVs(dyc's and z's). If anyone wants to take the TVs back with them, you are more than welcome but if not then they will stay at my house. David is stopping by after class to help me figure how to arrange the rooms for the most amount of setups and comfort to players.

Anywho, just plan on being at my place around 6:30 or 7 on Saturday. I work till 5 so this will give me some time to clean up and get everything ready for you guys. If anyone gets lost just give me a holler on my cell (816-878-3896) and I can direct you where to go.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Dude this is looking good, I'm excited. =D

Looks like I'm back to getting lost in Kansas City for an hour or so.

Jesi

Smash Ace
I'm sad that barrio smash no longer exists. I'm also sad I don't really have a solid home to go to when I come to visit KC, however, I'm really happy it's going to phat's place hehehe :p

I wish i could be there!! But over Thanksgiving break if there is smash on that Saturday I'll be there! :D See you guys around!

<3

Jesi

dmac

Smash Champion
markis it looks like a decent stick made by exar. people say it works decent but for the price it is you're gonna get budget buttons and a budget stick, and non mod-ability (supposedly). thats pretty subjective though so its not that big of a deal if you really like the design and feel of it. the biggggggggggggest problem with this stick is that it is a WII stick, specifically meaning you have to plug into a wiimote. means you wouldn't be able to use it for other systems.

if you're seriously considering buyin a stick buy a ps1/ps2 stick and pick up one of these
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-70-2pz1.html for tvc

Cook

Smash Master
So, who all is coming to Kirksville with Fino? Anyone that was at the FFC Brawl tournament in Omaha back in September?

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
Hey barrio is still going all night like usual correct? The reason I ask is I won't have a ride till after 10pm so yeah, don't wanna drive up there and only be able to stay a little.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Phat barrio this Sat.? If so I might be able to come, Blue Springs isn't very far.

dela

Smash Cadet
I might be able to come up to barrio before too long. I really want to play with people that aren't my roommate...for real, it gets boring after so long.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ah, yeah, darkrain told me that yesterday. I might be able to carpool over there if my mom thinks a University is "safe"?!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Only thing to do is convince my parents to A) let me carpool or B) give me a ride... :\ I hate being 15.

Cups

Smash Ace
Due to lack of places for smash to be on a consistent basis, papermarkis and I are offering up Cherry Street Residence Hall as a place to smash for this weekend. I have to see later on if it is something that we can do it on a consistent basis (which should be fine), but as for this weekend is fine. It will most likely be the place that we will meet from now on, which I will dub "Cherry Smash" from this day forth. We have a spacious basement that has held numerous smash tourneys in the past, numerous tvs, plugs, comfortable couches, vending machines, pool and ping pong tables, etc. It is a very good place that is safe and is pretty much centrally located for all those that attended Barrio smash in the past (besides Jayray, who will have to travel a bit further :( ).

The address:
5030 Cherry Street
Kansas City, MO 64110

The easiest way to get to us from the east is to get off at exit 6 (Van Brunt), turn left and take that all the way to Oak Street. Turn L and you should see Cherry Street Residence Hall, which is the older of the Residence Halls and is made of brick and is at the top of the hill. The parking lot is right next door and has free parking to the public on weekends. UMKC, being a largely commuter campus, most people leave on the weekend, so there should be plenty of spaces for everyone.

People from the west should look for 71 and get off on the Volker exit (you should see UMKC signs) and make a right. You will be on Van Brunt and can follow the directions listed above. NOTE: This is not the fastest way for either direction, rather it is the easiest, which is best because it is easy to get lost where the Residence Halls are located and end up in a very bad neighborhood. Thus, follow my directions to ensure safety and ease/lack of confusion.

Some Stipulations:
1) This is a completely dry campus, no alcohol is allowed anywhere on campus regardless of age or affiliation with the campus. My job is at stake for those that do not follow this rule. There is Westport some 5 blocks away where people of age can go out and drink.
2) Please bring a cube and game, we have televisions. NOTE: A "setup" consists of a television, cube, game, memory card. There seemed to have been some confusion on this last weekend. FURTHER NOTE: a DVD player is not a television.
3) Campus is right next to everything, so QT is close, the plaza, gamestop, the movies, Winstead's (a JV Denny's), so there is plenty to do if we don't feel like smashing.
4) I am an RA in this building, so my guests represent me and I will be punished severely for your actions. Please limit rascist comments, horseplay and overall bad behavior. Theft and other things will not be tolerated and will be dealt with by the police. Smoking is to be done outside. Photo IDs will be taken at the door and everyone should sign a sheet for sign-in. This is the guest policy and must be taken seriously.
5) Lastly, this is a Residence Hall (dorm) first and foremost, please respect the space of the residents and appreciate that they are paying to live here and are not paying for you to be here. Because of events/programs going on in multitude, I reserve the right to cancel Cherry Smash at any time for whatever reason. I will post in this thread ahead of time so check regularly. If I cannot host it, papermarkis should be available.

My number:
314-583-7584, no texts; it costs me moneyz. You may call to say "hey man my dude" or something of the nature. papermarkis will most likely post his number too. Darkrain also has information on Cherry Street so you may direct questions to any of us.

Thank you all and I hope you have fun!

papermarkis

Smash Lord
913-271-0143 is my number. Call me for pretty much anything but directions. Cups and darkrain will be 100x better at giving directions than I will be. Cups will likely not be there this weekend so I'll likely be running the joint. There will only be 2 full set-ups there with an extra 3 or so TVs so bring whatever you can.

Top Bottom