• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

dmac

Smash Champion
oh god linkwoot chill out. lololol. just calm down man, it'll be alright. oh jeez. jayray no more n bombs. keep it civil, keep it safe.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone needs to calm down with this argument its getting a little out of control, but I also don't understand why it's happening in the first place, if you prefer brawl over melee, then good for you, but if thats the case you REALLY shouldn't be posting in this thread (this only applies to the idiots that feel strongly enough about it to actually spam up this thread with brawl>melee crap) -_-

Anywho... heres something to lighten the mood...maybe? >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxugiN_1bE

Most ******** match ever. XD

dmac

Smash Champion
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

reading most of this will make you a better player, probably. have fun! most of it is applicable to us, and many many issues we face are present. i based my attitude on the game from articles i read from this guy about 4 years ago, just noticed that his entire book was readable online, so i'd figure i'd share it with you doods!

dmac

Smash Champion
pyroty, after watching your friendlies with bhlmro... we need to convince that guy to come to the barrios and play with us, hes pretty solid lookin. need more melee players...

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
I love how most of you are in college, and here I am, sophomore in high school, and I'm being more mature than some of you about this whole Melee/Brawl thing.

Again, stop throwing your opinions around like they're fact. They're not. Get over it.

Anyways, tomorrow's Halloween! Why so serious, everyone?

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Mature? This is a forum. There is no level of maturity when you're typing on a freaking keyboard. We'll trash talk Brawl and Brawl players all we want to. It's not our fault they're getting so overly sensitive that no one likes their stupid game.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
dont worry about it dobaga. just play brawl, and ignore what they say lol.

EDIT: Rice, if you want melee, set up a time and i know me and attackstorm would love to come.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This thread has really gone way too far. It's one thing to not like brawl. It's another thing but a thing we can maybe tolerate to go out of your way to a nearly ridiculous extent to let everyone who might ever enjoy brawl know that you think it's total garbage. It's just plain across the line when it's gone from attacking brawl to attacking brawl players. The tone has been on that for quite a while, and I think some of you guys need to step back and look at what you are saying. The greatest "offense" brawl players ever did to you was support a game you don't like. Some of them may have even expressed mild dissatisfaction with a game you do like. Oh no? Event 52 even happened at JCCC, and unless the situation changed, that required the cooperation of the brawl-centric gaming club there. That sure seems like a group that's out to get you to me. Then you just get the ridiculous. The personal attacks on Fino are just absurd; since when does being mildly disagreeable warrant such extreme responses?

The fact of the matter is that the brawl players have done their best to get along this whole time despite the fact that the constant trolling of brawl really does get under some of our skin. Any insinuations that we've been unreasonable are completely unfounded; try to point out any time that we said or did anything half as inflammatory as what you guys are posting on a routine basis. I won't even get into the claim that we didn't give melee a chance; it's just patently untrue.

So, seriously, lay off. Fino's not that bad, and neither are the rest of us. If you really disagree, I'd love to see a list of grievances, and I hope "they don't agree with me" isn't one of them.

Cook

Smash Master
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

reading most of this will make you a better player, probably. have fun! most of it is applicable to us, and many many issues we face are present. i based my attitude on the game from articles i read from this guy about 4 years ago, just noticed that his entire book was readable online, so i'd figure i'd share it with you doods!
My problem with Sirlin is that his argument is (as far as I can tell) that if you're playing to win then it's acceptable to do whatever it takes (short of actually cheating), and that you are a scrub if you don't. This only works if you are playing solely to win. Personally, I like to win, but I also like to feel like I should have won, not like I just happened to win because of some (possibly) cheap thing I did. For instance, if I wobbled someone for three stocks then it wouldn't feel to me like a deserved to win. Sirlin's argument is begging the question.

N64

Smash Champion
Well, that is pretty much the meat of what Sirlin is saying. If you truly want to win, then there is no reason to avoid doing something within the allowed rules that would help you win. There are no 'cheap' tactics, only effective or ineffective ones. If you choose to avoid these tactics because of how you feel about their "skillfulness" then you aren't playing to win, as you said, and won't advance as far competatively as you would otherwise. Sirlin's argument isn't for everyone, I don't play to win, but it is sound and is for anyone who wants to be as good at a competative game as they can.

Cups

Smash Ace
i would say practice and experience is more informational than reading that.

affinity: we gotta deal with the trolls and crybabies somehow. I love how they keep coming back in to the thread and complaining instead of just ignoring it. This is why melee players coined the phrase "lol brawl players." Not everyone is as smart as you, some people do the same thing over and over expecting different results. We don't hate all brawl players, just the ones in here that boobar repeatedly.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
pyroty, after watching your friendlies with bhlmro... we need to convince that guy to come to the barrios and play with us, hes pretty solid lookin. need more melee players...
Yeah, I talk to him alot now, hes really cool but those were Event 52 friendlies, I'm sure he would come every weekend if he could, but he actually lives like 3-4 hours away, I really wish he wa sin KC, all the matches I played with him were epic, I think I forgot to tell all you about the set I had with him in pools... it was the most ridiculous set ever XD

1st match: Fox ditto at FD: I FOUR stocked him

2nd match: Fox ditto again counterpicks Yoshi story, I was up 1 stock and he only had 1 left, I forward smashed him off stage and WD'd backward for the edgeguard (and the win) and GUESS WHO APPEARS!? freaking WD'd onto the cloud, he grabs the edge; Shine spikes me, and comes back to win the match! WTF. XD

3rd match: I stay Fox, he goes Marth, and I go back to yoshi's it was a really good close last match but in the end he got the last kill, it was definitely the most interesting set I had at the tourny, if not the best ever.

Also hes got alot more footage he hasn't uploaded yet, there are ALOT better matches than the ones up right now, but yeah anyway I'll see everyone on saturday, Can't wait.

N64

Smash Champion
pyroooooooooooooooooo

where are teh chad + n64 awesome friendlies vids?

Also, you and efpy have gotten really freaking good in a short amount of time. You both are really fun to watch heh. I wish I was still around KC to play you guys more : /

dmac

Smash Champion
practice and experience are invaluable definitely(those also have their own sections), but the ebook thingie was more for ideas on attitudes and stories/issues that we can easily relate to. almost everything except the starcraft stuff is really easy to relate to as it uses many examples from fighting games.

its not for everyone for sure, but i'm almost positive everyone that reads it would be able to pick out useful pieces of information.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
amzoingamophroeious:

Whaaatever. No one cares. You can spout this brawl crap all you want. But ~fino's stupid *** coming in here and saying all kinds of garbage pisses people off. My idea of confronting someone isn't a TL;DR post about friendliness. Even Jesi threatened ball kickin' seriously, and she doesn't seem like the Warbringer type.

I personally don't find Brawl to be a game of any worth (game is garbage gtfo). I mean, the pre-Brawl Kansas City experience was something that couldn't be rivaled. Then all of a sudden, Brawl comes out and there's a coincodential influx of foul odors and an almost comical level of nerddom. I mean it never really made a lot of sense to me that Brawl peopel drove all the way out to the city to play a game with people who live in the same area anyway...Especially since from what I saw none of the KC peeps were messing around with Brawl. After the Brawl Epiphany (Brawl is garbage GTFO) there was still an entirely good room being used for Brawl while no one from KC had any interest in it. I mean how obvious must one make it? Seriously.

I'm not speaking for anyone else at the Barrio when I say any of this, I'm saying this on my entirely own individual opinion. I can bet that absolutely no one else in KC agrees with me in any way.

IMO, make a Kansas/Western Missouri thread for Brawl, and keep your silly propaganda there.

TL;DR = Brawl sucks, STFU, stop trolling, Barrio was a little more gay when brawl was around.

Responding to thedobaga below:

Obviously all you're doing is whining, all this TRASH TALK you think is going on you're participating at an equal level. Go ignore KC and play Brawl, a good idea like you said. No one gives a **** about what you, or the awesome super cool non-nerd/non-stinky brawl crew plays. Seriously, just GTFO, and don't be talking **** on Paper.

thedobaga

Smash Apprentice
Mature? This is a forum. There is no level of maturity when you're typing on a freaking keyboard. We'll trash talk Brawl and Brawl players all we want to. It's not our fault they're getting so overly sensitive that no one likes their stupid game.
If you can trash talk us all you want and we're not allowed to have a problem with it, why the hell should you have a problem with us talking about PLAYING Brawl?

It's not our fault the game wasn't made to your exact needs. Sorry it's not an exact clone of Melee like you wanted, go cry in your emo corner and get over it. It's a game. Just because you suck at it doesn't make it bad.

I think I'll take Stealth's advice now and ignore you as I go play BRAWL. Because, in my OPINION, Brawl is a better game. Get over it, and go play Melee. Atleast I won't whine to you about which game you enjoy playing more.

dmac

Smash Champion
*shrug* everyone calm down. the only person thats come in here with the intent to rile up everyone was fino and he did a good job, apparently. direct your complaints at him.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Thanks for that link, Dmac. I was wondering about the details of "yomi layers" when Jesi mentioned it a few posts back.

Oh and I wasn't gonna bother saying this but for any melee players who live somewhat close to JCCC, the club meetings are now more melee oriented over Brawl thanks to an increase in melee players showing up like 8-Bit and Arkive.

The bad news for me though is that I can't make barrio this weekend...

Fino

Smash Master
*shrug* everyone calm down. the only person thats come in here with the intent to rile up everyone was fino and he did a good job, apparently. direct your complaints at him.
I'll go on ahead an say this, but I never had posted in the KC/Lawrence thread, it was stealth's idea that I make the 6000th post in a HEAVILY melee oriented thread "brawl>melee". It was purely for lulz, but after the incredibly negative response from it I might have gone over with a poke here and there. Some posts were legit, some were to invoke the same response, the last was just plain silly; however, some of you need a chill. As I said before, I enjoy all the smash games. I still play smash64 and I occasionally pick up melee. Ask jace, I fail hard at the game compared to you all, but I still play it because it's a good game. I still enjoy it even though I continually get thrashed.
Given that, I still like brawl. I still will travel out to tournaments. You guys say that the game is a joke to where you won't travel out for it, yet look at the JCCC tournaments. Skill outweighs the noobish tactics that many brawlers use. To me, you have a gold mine of brawlers, fresh to the tournaments scene, just waiting to hand you their money. I jump at the opportunity. Maybe it's principle of trying to prove that 'brawl is garbage' I don't know, but I was thoroughly disappointed at the melee community from this.
kthnxbye

~Fino

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
people play melee because we love the game. brawl might be where the money is at, but brawl will never give the entertainment that melee has treated us with all these years. Come on, are you going to see a 10 hit combo by darkrain in brawl? nah, only in melee against cactuar lol. I heard this from several people that most just play brawl because they are good at it or money.

basically, in our opinions we like playing the better game (i speak for KC and NE because we all have comeback to melee).

Enjoy brawl while KC, NE and soon to come most of the entire smash community comes back to melee.

sorry if i invaded, i just wanted to get my word in cuz i feel that you all have the same opinion.

money isn't everything.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
And any other video game is different.. how? Yet, here we are, all playing video games.. hmm..
lol noob :)

I just want to let all of the KC crew that I love you very much, (especially linkw00t) and after reading the last 10 pages after being M.I.A. for a while (competing in a Starcraft League) was the most refreshing/hysterical thing I've read for a long time.

Pyroty I LOVED those videos! Hahahaha I lol'd so hard at the quintuple down aerial off the ledge by link.

Jessie that was good ****. You make fantastic arguments, as expected.

And Fino... You should probably change your signature. Ken is a MELEE player bro.

Also, I've seemed to be playing really well lately. I think I need a barrio visit to test it out! Switched main FTW

rezo

Smash Apprentice
You guys say that the game is a joke to where you won't travel out for it, yet look at the JCCC tournaments. Skill outweighs the noobish tactics that many brawlers use. To me, you have a gold mine of brawlers, fresh to the tournaments scene, just waiting to hand you their money. I jump at the opportunity. Maybe it's principle of trying to prove that 'brawl is garbage' I don't know, but I was thoroughly disappointed at the melee community from this.
kthnxbye

~Fino
We could spend a lot of time and energy traveling to/organizing major brawl tournaments and experience the full depth of that game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNa11bpyN6s, or we could do the same with melee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm26ec_90Us). When faced with these options, you're "disappointment" does nothing to sway us towards brawl. It would be like opting to spend my time and money to go see 10,000 b.c. instead of 300. we're not trying to "prove" that brawl is garbage (competitively, there's enough proof as it is); we're just trying to convince you not to go down with the sinking ship we believe it to be. That said, we're not spamming your thread with brawl sucks posts or stopping you in any way from running tournaments under your own steam. If brawl somehow turns out to be a solid game, then a solid community will form around it in the future without our help. If not, you can always come to the barrio and learn melee. We've helped newcomers for years--even though they often get a little discouraged when they realize the full depth of the game. Come and learn melee for a few months, and you'll see why the choice is easy for us.

god, who convinced me to go see 10,000 b.c.

~rezo

only1Z

Smash Champion
Oh ****, now that Rezo posted *with good comparison vids and analogy's* the argument is basically over...

You actually saw 10,000 bc? Wtf.

Fino

Smash Master
We could spend a lot of time and energy traveling to/organizing major brawl tournaments and experience the full depth of that game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNa11bpyN6s, or we could do the same with melee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm26ec_90Us).
Wow, this was this post rivals the stupidity of 'steak' on the sonic forums.
First of all, there's definitely no bias in those vids. You pick the dumbest brawl vid, and compare it to an amazing darkrain vid.

When faced with these options, you're "disappointment" does nothing to sway us towards brawl.
My disappointment has nothing to do with brawl vs. melee, more the melee community and it's attitude / reaction (looks at last 7 pages). linkwoot for example wants to kill/****/burn my house down... or something like that? I'm not even sure...

It would be like opting to spend my time and money to go see 10,000 b.c. instead of 300.
I agree with your analogy however, because seeing 10,000 BC would be as big of a disappointment as paying $25 for a melee tournament I knew would lose and go to mew2king while 300 would be comparable to paying (for arguments sake the same amount of money) and placing in money or even winning. 300 of course was a way better movie.
This analogy only works under the notion that I maintain (imo mind you) that both brawl and melee are fun games.

we're not trying to "prove" that brawl is garbage (competitively, there's enough proof as it is)
I ask, if brawl is proven to be garbage competitively... why are more and more people turning up to more and more tournaments for brawl?

If not, you can always come to the barrio and learn melee. We've helped newcomers for years--even though they often get a little discouraged when they realize the full depth of the game. Come and learn melee for a few months, and you'll see why the choice is easy for us.
On to your call, I would love to learn the full depth of melee; however, I think enough people want to chop my head after the pokes I've made :laugh: . If you guys would really be up to 'help'/teach me learn the depth of the game, I'd be willing to learn it. Tutorial vids on youtube can only show so much, and isn't near comparable to irl teachings and practice. I asked jace at the JCCC meetings, but he didn't want to spend his time teaching me the depth of melee... more just serving me **** lol. I'll head the challenge, and maybe eventually get close to almost getting you down to your last stock XD

~Fino

EDIT:
And Fino... You should probably change your signature. Ken is a MELEE player bro.
zomg rly? ur so smart, i dn't no.
//ends sarcasm
Wow.

Top Bottom