• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

SamDvds

Smash Ace
hey jesi, that tourney u wanted to go to in chicago the 20th...thats evo..and they want items on in brawl -_-...so do u still wanna go?

D

Deleted member

people need to stop bashing brawl and just play the **** game jesus

how do you think the 64 players felt when all their combos were lost in melee?

D

Deleted member

i know you are entitled to your own opinion

but all this brawl bashing is just aggrivating lol

its a good game you just have to adapt to it

only1Z

Smash Champion
Preaching to the wrong choir here, most of us have been in the tourney scene long enough, we understand the meta game for brawl and melee, we've been playing it for months, been to and hosted multiple brawl tournies. You can come to barrio and ask most people there, and they will say this, "Brawl is good...but melee is just so much better, funner, faster, exciting." I understand you're new, probably new to the tourney scene as well, but going between melee and brawl is like going from a fine wine to a crude vodka.

D

Deleted member

ik i also believe that melee is better than brawl in everyway dude, i did play melee competitively

but btching gets you no where, look at the CS scene, every1 hates css but 1.6 will never come alive competitively again :(

and this is just my opinion, if you want to start a flamewar you are wasting your breath lol

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman
people need to stop bashing brawl and just play the **** game jesus

how do you think the 64 players felt when all their combos were lost in melee?
i'll stop bashing brawl when your not invincible during rolls, and when spamming, and camping in general arent being rewarded in the game. Oh wait, that will be never, guess you will have to live with the bashing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The bashing is pretty ridiculous; it doesn't accomplish anything and only serves to make events less fun for brawl players. I don't know if people realize this when they go on tirades against brawl, but it's really frustrating to be winning a brawl match while your opponent complains that brawl sucks and takes no skill as it's not a very thinly veiled insult (I'm better than you, but it's the game's fault I can't win!). The fact is that some people prefer brawl for whatever reason (there are many reasons one can prefer brawl, regardless of what anyone says), and it seems like they're being held in an odd limbo. The scene right now seems to still want to include them but to retain the right to be periodically demeaning. I don't see how this can go both ways. Brawl players will not just disappear. In the long term, are people going to just leave brawl alone or tell the brawl people to get their own scene? I'm not saying you shouldn't play melee; everyone should play whatever game he likes best. I'm just saying that the bashing is really non-productive and needlessly frustrating.

On a more pleasant note, yeah, it's unfortunate that so many brawlers missed the barrio last Saturday. Hopefully for next week that stomach virus and 21st birthday will be cured; you guys are great opponents I always look forward to playing.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Why should we just play Brawl when we like Melee so much better? Why should we ignore Melee and play a game that's in our eyes, inferior? There just aren't really any good reasons why we should play Brawl over Melee. We're not trying to tell anyone else to play Melee. So don't tell us to play Brawl. And we can bash the game all we want, it's our opinion.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I don't want to start another flame war here, but it's our opinion. So let's just stop the argument right here. Get at me on aim sometime tomorrow at papermarkis0 if you have anything more to say.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to start out by stating my lack of enthusiasm for R.O.B in Brawl. I may main falco, but I find R.O.B to be the gayest of all characters in brawl.

*Fixed from Rickroll Post, because they stopped being funny 3 years ago (I forgot to check my calander :S )

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Can we just stop the potential flame war here? And Charlie you really shouldn't be saying anything since you were on the Brawl side during our last little flame war.

EDIT: Linkwoot, rickrolls stopped being funny 3 years ago.

CFMV

"The Marf"
Yeah maybe like before the game was released. And then I played it and realized it was kind of a ****ty game.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
No one should get all butthurt about Brawl bashing. Before brawl came out I thought it would bother me, but once I played the game I seemed shift into silent agreement. Being on a gaming forum means you gotta be able to take all kinds of opinions.

If you love to play brawl, and enjoy it as a game, then cool! But don't think that when people are insulting brawl they're insulting your skill at the game, or somehow demeaning you. I think that no one intends that personally, and there is frustration playing brawl at times in comparison to melee.

It's not that big of a deal, some people need to take the ego out of their gaming and realize that games are meant to be played for fun, regardless of the competitive aspect.

Serious business.

Last weekend was the first time I've been there since Brawl came out I think. I played a little bit of Brawl with some friends and it ended up that my Wii couldn't read the disk. I've been practicing the game a little bit this week and I think I might be able to put up a better challenge than I did last weekend.

Seems like I like it a lot more when there aren't as many people there. I get a little bit of hands-on training with the D man himself and I don't have to worry a bout some kids watching over my shoulder giving me tips about when and how to use my F-laser. Also the amount of melee that was being played was cool too. Melee matches are generally awesome to watch and way more exciting than a Brawl match.

darkrain

Smash Ace
We can't all pretend like we hate brawl and have always hated brawl. I know most of us thought it was the best thing ever when it first came out and didn't have any interest in melee for awhile.

I thought brawl was amazing the first time I played it, the new characters, the updated graphics, the level editor, all of the new features... the game is very appealing on the outside and has a lot going for it. Its very accessible and thats why the newer players flock to it. So it's understandable that brawl has such a huge following.

People also think that the game is more balanced and therefore, a better game. The problem is, it's forced balance, and it doesn't work... there isn't a lot to learn in terms of technical skill and there is almost nothing below surface. All techniques are easy to do and most were posted in the dojo before the game was even released. Save a couple character specific techniques that have been found (none of them game breaking). This causes the game to be very shallow, there is no layers of depth like there was in melee. I beat most people because I take advantage of the games shallow system. Taking a defensive approach, using well spaced airs and tilts, and abusing the shield mechanics is basically all I do, and so far it is the dominating style everywhere brawl is played. I don't claim to be a god at the game I just play smart.

I personally prefer to play melee but brawl is still welcomed in the barrio and I enjoy playing it in small doses. There is no need to rehash arguments that have already been made on both sides of the melee vs. brawl debate. I could literally go on and on about why melee is a superior game competitively but that would be a waste of time because most of us already know why and thats not really the purpose of this post. The point is melee isn't for everybody and brawl is the game of choice for some. The problem is, are the communities for both of these games cohesive?

ON A MORE IMORTANT NOTE:
NO BARRIO SMASH THIS SATURDAY, JUNE 14TH OR NEXT SATURDAY JUNE 21ST

Me and jesi will be out at a grad party out in Lenexa and the next week we will be in Chicago... so mark your calenders! Should be good to go on the 28th but I'll keep you posted.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
My only opinion is that there are some people who arent good at the advanced moves of Melee, or came to the competitive scene very late and never really mastered the advanced techniques (like me). Such people are can still be very good at the basic techniques and find the change of pace and the lack of advanced moves refreshing. I like both equally, and will eventually work on Melee stuff, but Brawl is a place where people can show their skill at the more basic concepts of the game. Melee is more of a game for the highly competitive people who want to show off there skills, and Brawl is more liked by more casual players. I can see why people say that only those that suck at Melee like Brawl. That may or may not be right but.......so? Brawl bashing doesnt bother me much- every game has it haters. I m sure people have encountered Melee haters. And people shouldn't judge others off of what game they like.... or if they think a game is better then your favorite. Either way it is just an opinion. I think Halo sucks, and I know some people would try to kill me if I said that.

Jesi

Smash Ace
nah, halo does suck. lol

and as far as June 28th...I really want to go to Texas sometime in June...and since the next two weekends in June are taken up... it might end up being the last weekend...or maybe I could push it to July...we'll see lol I hate to make barrio disappear for half a summer! @_@

Cups

Smash Ace
I would ask if brawl was the first game of the smash series, without any prior knowledge of how the game worked, would you still like it. Of course you would, you would think it is amazing. However, I have played the others, and now I don't prefer Brawl b/c it isn't in my interest. I literally stop paying attention in matches and look around during play b/c I'm bored, prolly b/c of melee's quick matches. The reason I don't like Brawl is b/c I take the way I think the game should be played: aggressive and trying to outsmart your opponent by being clever, but still lose, not because I was outsmarted or out-teched, but because defense heavily outweighs offense. I say look at it from a different POV, what if in Madden games the Linebacker sacked the QB every down b/c your linemen were *******, would that be fun? No, and that's how I see Brawl.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
only1Z: Oh man... I love Z

ArkiveZero: Lawl at CS buck sixty reference.

Amazing Ampharos: Uh... dubya tee eff

CFMV: So Aggressive...

linkw00t: HAHA he said butthurt!

darkrain: You are the king.

SilentJupiter: YAY FOR HALO

Cups: Football? Don't make me giggle.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for replying to everyone, adhdsoad, reading down the list I got all excited that you might reference me, then it happened.

You all know what's really, really about brawl? Co-Op HRC! I know a lot of you pro's (Z) don't really mess around with serious business like HRC, but me and Chad played it for about 2 hours today and got about 8.5k ft with Ganondorf and Yoshi, it was cool. We're working on the world record.

BTW, DYC what is your fastest time on the 15 puzzle? Assuming a smart guy like you would have played it. Because I was playing the 15 puzzle mini-game on Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls on the GBA and got like 16 seconds, I'm not sure if that's the world record or not.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think people like Brawl because it's more accessible, I think they just simply like the game simply because it's the new game. If Melee had came out after Brawl, they would be liking Melee. But that's my opinion and it can't really be proven.

DYC

Smash Champion
i know you are entitled to your own opinion

but all this brawl bashing is just aggrivating lol

its a good game you just have to adapt to it
I don't have an issue adapting to brawl, I have an issue with the fact that there is no adapting to do. I have to adapt back to melee when i play brawl, but brawl is so childishly easy and the sheer fact that the entire metagame is rolling and spamming projectiles makes a game that is so incredibly un fun it boggles the mind.

To sum up, I won all my pools matches at the JCCC tourney after playing melee straight for an hour, I then proceeded to go back to playing Melee and forfeited myself out of the tournament because I couldn't stand playing another 8 minute match of projectile spamming, sidestep spamming, and roll spamming.

Brawl is only a good game if you never played Melee. The fact that you claim you were a "competitive" Melee player and then say that brawl is a good game is laughable.

Anyone who played Melee and enjoys Brawl enjoys it because they think that because technical skill is no longer a factor that they can actually win. Well allow me to burst your bubble with a simple question. Who won the JCCC tournament? The same guy who won all the Melee tournaments. Do you know why this is? I'll tell you why. It's because he simply is better at video games than you are. He will always be better than you. He might not **** you as hard in brawl as he did in melee, and that is only because the game will not allow him to **** you as hard as he did in melee. The sheer amount of limitations brawl places on what you are able to do to people is laughable.

Jesi

Smash Ace
I really liked DYC's post. DYC is the man. darkrain's post was pretty good too, I love my boyfriend. :p

I too <3 Z, and I <3'd him first, so STEP THE F off. lol

There's a reason why it says Smash n00b under the name you know...

YOU'RE NOT READY YET!!!!

lol

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman
Darkrain and DYC's post were really good. I've reached my epiphany after playing melee on Saturday, f**k brawl. Suprisingly, It was actually a roll spamming zelda that did it, not a spammy snake, Nick.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I think I had a PC chris sighting at Kohl's tonight, but I don't talk to people in public so I let him be.

I feel the <3 Essi-gamer

cue

Smash Journeyman
i rule at video games! :)

tournie pushed back a week come out ya'lls ! ( if i have time maybe we could throw in a 3s tournie)

oh and for those of you who dont like brawl play a real game like guilty gearrrrrr :laugh:

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Mwahahahaha I literally laughed out loud after reading that one. Too good Z.

Man DYC is definitely the man now. That last post summed up brawl better than anything I've heard so far. Good s**t.

Top Bottom