• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Smash Lord
Hey Lux if you still need people after rockstar to fill the van/cut the cost you should post something on the KC/Lawrence thread. Jace looks like he's interested in a NE tournament. I heard that there would be something down there with melee. Anyway he probably wouldn't be able to make it on his own due to car issues. I watched his car stop working at 4 in the morning at Wraith's place a month and half ago and to be honest, I think it's still there.

Smash Lord
Yeah Quote my moms only asking me not to during the week. She doesnt care about weekends @ all
I'll get back to you on this in a bit. I got drafted to usher for the KCJO tonight. Kinda pissed about it since I've been doing too much stuff this week. I was looking forward to just chilling for the rest of the day but it seems that I can't really do that. I have to leave now.

Dnyce

Smash Master
According to mapquest with the directions I put in, the trip should take apx 3 hours and 10 mins.

Blake told me that we will pick up rockstar on our way out, since he lives close to blake and is on the way.

Regardless if the trip actually ends up being 3.5 hours, the tournament wont start until 1ish... and we're leaving at 9

There's a difference between punching in cities and actually using the addresses =p

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Yeah true that. Big difference apparently haha. Well appreciated dude. So what time should I go outside and wait? Blake knows where my address is right? My phone is dead so dont text now anyone.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Rockstar, if we haven't rung your doorbell by 9:00, then we are late and you should be waiting outside for us.

Your address is in http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11782120&postcount=2311 - you're clear. By the way guys, he's by the Johnson County Library on 87th Street, not to be confused with the Billington Library building on the JCCC campus.

This monday I would like the help of a couple volunteers to move this couch down to my basement :D It's a double-recliner and is heavy because of the moving parts.

Duckersmsh3

Smash Cadet
i can try and help also qoute i need you to try and come to the 16 so i have my dad to help otherwice your going to have to do alot of lifting

Smash Lord
Rockstar, if we haven't rung your doorbell by 9:00, then we are late and you should be waiting outside for us.

Your address is in http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11782120&postcount=2311 - you're clear. By the way guys, he's by the Johnson County Library on 87th Street, not to be confused with the Billington Library building on the JCCC campus.

This monday I would like the help of a couple volunteers to move this couch down to my basement :D It's a double-recliner and is heavy because of the moving parts.
I'll help with this. I don't have school so I'll probably end up sleeping in till about 3 in the afternoon. Just have someone get on my case to get up there early that day.

i can try and help also qoute i need you to try and come to the 16 so i have my dad to help otherwice your going to have to do alot of lifting
So on the 16th? What time?

EDIT: I'm probably not going to do anything tomorrow. It's looks like the wind chill is going to be ungodly low tomorrow. I've been out in this stuff all day today and don't want any more of it. I don't even want to go outside to walk the two 35 feet to my car it's that bad. Sorry rockstar. Maybe the week after if it's not stupid cold like today.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Fino and Scrub got second in Nebraska in doubles. Fino took second after losing two sets in Grand Finals. He played the first set with a different character each game. Discuss.

If we're playing on Monday, I can't make it the next two weeks because of work.

Also, I can probably host on this Wednesday in Lawrence. For those of us that don't have finals, feel free to come out.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i am going to add feature i see a lot of threads have. i would like everyone to fill this out

Smash Tag
Brawl Main
Brawl Secondary
Real Name (if you dont mind)
a picture (either one of you or one that represents you i dont care)
Location (can be general like lenexa or overland park etc)
Phone number (if you dont mind)
info (brief description about yourself, maybe something about you, maybe a quote, whatever you want)

if yall can do it i will be adding them all to the OP

DeLux

Smash Tag - (Lux)
Brawl Main - Wario
Brawl Secondary - Toon Link
Real Name (if you dont mind) - Philip
a picture (either one of you or one that represents you i dont care) - See Avatar
Location (can be general like lenexa or overland park etc) - Lawrence
Phone number (if you dont mind) - PM me for it
Description (brief description about yourself) - No homo

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Smash Tag - (Lux)
Brawl Main - Wario
Brawl Secondary - Toon Link
Real Name (if you dont mind) - Philip
a picture (either one of you or one that represents you i dont care) - See Avatar
Location (can be general like lenexa or overland park etc) - Lawrence
Phone number (if you dont mind) - PM me for it
Description (brief description about yourself) - No homo
you trolling?

Smash Lord
Tbh I think Danny would envy you quote.
i would just like to stress just how right blake is
HOLY SH*T. Just how bad is it?

Also, I can probably host on this Wednesday in Lawrence. For those of us that don't have finals, feel free to come out.
I'll try hard to make this.

Smash Tag: Quote
Brawl Main: No clue, maybe kirby right now.
Brawl Secondary: Marth, Kirby
Phone number: nine one three seven o four seven nine o seven
Description: red hair, extremely pessimistic

My phone number is only available for you guys. I don't want it in the OP.
well, last time i checked you main IC's
Lux doesn't troll. You should know this.

DeLux

This weekend showed me how deficient my wario is compared to my IC's. And everyone hates you for playing such a broken character. So I'm going to focus on my Wario for a while except in competitive/MU learning situations. IC's are just not fun to play, unlike Wario and TL. And I for the most part what I need to work on now with my IC's I can practice alone on my own time on a cpu hahahaha

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i may give people crap about their char sometimes but i really dont hate LOL. plus i neeeeed the ics practice, and your different playstyle from fino helps lol. dont let other people tell you what to main, though if you want to get your other chars up to the level of your ics thats fair enough

also the description doesnt have to be a physical description, just something about yourself you would like to share, maybe a quote, etc

DeLux

It's kind of ironic, I said no homo but the characters I'm working on are IC's, Wario, and TL.

I mean I play IC's differently than Fino because I know more intricate desync setup bs than anyone else in the nation by far. I don't necessarily use it all, but I know the theory. It's why he's better at the ditto. He's by far a better player head to head and overall in general. But in terms of gimmicky stuff that doesn't apply to the ditto and only to non IC matchups, I can only think of two players that might know as much globally. it's why I'm in the smashlab haha

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my place 5:30-11:00pm, address is on first post.

Today we're going to move a couch down to the basement.

Smash Tag: DUCK^
Brawl Main : R.O.B.
Brawl Secondary : None (If had to pick, ZSS)
a picture : See avatar
Phone number : (913) too oh six for on tree for (text preferred)
Description : Long wavy brown hair, male

Smash Lord
added description(let's call it a bio):
My favorite The best video game of all time is cave story. My name and avatar come from it. My time going through Hell/the sacred grounds in that game is 3'33.6. I'm going to KCKCC. I love smash 64 and main captain falcon there. There is nothing I appreciate more than a forward throw to forward air z cancelled into an upsmash followed by two upairs into a dair spike or off stage upB. Well except for more complicated combos.

Not sure if I will make it tonight (make sure you have enough consoles). Long story short I busted up my face bad enough to not want to go out in public yesterday. I'm only coming if no one says anything. The actual circumstance is kind of embarrassing so please don't ask.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Smash Tag: Ares
Brawl Main: Falco
Brawl Secondary: Marth, Lucario
Picture
Phone number: 913.742.2565

DeLux

Bio: The only Asian member of the KCKrew. Dreams of one day leaving the KCKrew to make a Lawrence crew.

DeLux

Until any of my guys in Lawrence go to a legit tourney, there is no Lawrence crew and I'm just going SoPo.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Smash Tag: Dnyce (aka Fino)
Brawl Main: Olimar, Ice Climbers, Metaknight
Brawl Secondary: Captain Falcon, Luigi, Marth, Pikachu, Snake
Phone number: 913-704-7907
Description: unavailable

And everyone hates you for playing such a broken character.
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=47258

and

Condensed version of Sirlin's section "Introducing the Scrub" said:
In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing.
A common call of the scrub is to cry that the kind of play in which one tries to win at all costs is “boring” or “not fun.” Who knows what objective the scrub has, but we know his objective is not truly to win. Yours is. Your objective is good and right and true, and let no one tell you otherwise. You have the power to dispatch those who would tell you otherwise, anyway. Simply beat them.

The scrub has still more crutches. He talks a great deal about “skill” and how he has skill whereas other players—very much including the ones who beat him flat out—do not have skill. The confusion here is what “skill” actually is. In Street Fighter, scrubs often cling to combos as a measure of skill. A combo is a sequence of moves that is unblockable if the first move hits. Combos can be very elaborate and very difficult to pull off. But single moves can also take “skill,” according to the scrub. The “dragon punch” or “uppercut” in Street Fighter is performed by holding the joystick toward the opponent, then down, then diagonally down and toward as the player presses a punch button. This movement must be completed within a fraction of a second, and though there is leeway, it must be executed fairly accurately. Ask any scrub and they will tell you that a dragon punch is a “skill move.”

I once played a scrub who was actually quite good. That is, he knew the rules of the game well, he knew the character matchups well, and he knew what to do in most situations. But his web of mental rules kept him from truly playing to win. He cried cheap as I beat him with “no skill moves” while he performed many difficult dragon punches. He cried cheap when I threw him five times in a row asking, “Is that all you know how to do? Throw?” I gave him the best advice he could ever hear. I told him, “Play to win, not to do ‘difficult moves.’” This was a big moment in that scrub’s life. He could either ignore his losses and continue living in his mental prison or analyze why he lost, shed his rules, and reach the next level of play.

I’ve never been to a tournament where there was a prize for the winner and another prize for the player who did many difficult moves. I’ve also never seen a prize for a player who played “in an innovative way.” (Though chess tournaments do sometimes have prizes for “brilliancies,” moves that are strokes of genius.) Many scrubs have strong ties to “innovation.” They say, “That guy didn’t do anything new, so he is no good.” Or “person X invented that technique and person Y just stole it.” Well, person Y might be one hundred times better than person X, but that doesn’t seem to matter to the scrub. When person Y wins the tournament and person X is a forgotten footnote, what will the scrub say? That person Y has “no skill” of course.

You can gain some standing in a gaming community by playing in an innovative way, but that should not be the ultimate goal. Innovation is merely one of many tools that may or may not help you reach victory. The goal is to play as excellently as possible. The goal is to win.

Play ICs, beat us. You shouldn't consider picking up secondaries until you can at least go close even with Danny or I (unless you plan on playing to win with wario/tl instead of ICs). Find mastery of one character before learning many. Learning several characters at a time while still building your fundamentals will only inhibit your progress.

DeLux

To clarify:

I am not learning many characters. Just one. On specific levels. Or for specific match ups. I had too many "close" sets because IC's are unviable on Brinstar.

Last time Danny and I played, we went pretty even/ I won more against him than I lost. So that just leaves beating you. My IC problem matchups are ROB, snake, , Olimar and Zelda. The gap for ROB is slowly disappearing. The style of play I use isn't very good for those matchups. I'd go into detail as to why, but it doesn't matter. Win/loss is all that counts. I'd say based on my dropped grabbed stats, my worst match up is the chain grab. I dropped like a dozen against you and 9 on joker =/

Smash Lord
Smash Tag: Dnyce (aka Fino)
Play ICs, beat us. You shouldn't consider picking up secondaries until you can at least go close even with Danny or I (unless you plan on playing to win with wario/tl instead of ICs). Find mastery of one character before learning many. Learning several characters at a time while still building your fundamentals will only inhibit your progress.
You guys better help me get a main. It's a problem for me. Teach me the characters you know so that I can put the axe through a few of them.

If it's not already obvious, I'm not making it today. I'm trying to teach my brother how to play and got caught up with that, so I do have a legitimate excuse.

Dnyce

Smash Master
To clarify:

I am not learning many characters. Just one. On specific levels. Or for specific match ups. I had too many "close" sets because IC's are unviable on Brinstar.

Last time Danny and I played, we went pretty even/ I won more against him than I lost. So that just leaves beating you. My IC problem matchups are ROB, snake, , Olimar and Zelda. The gap for ROB is slowly disappearing. The style of play I use isn't very good for those matchups. I'd go into detail as to why, but it doesn't matter. Win/loss is all that counts. I'd say based on my dropped grabbed stats, my worst match up is the chain grab. I dropped like a dozen against you and 9 on joker =/
Yeah, I mean... that didn't stop me from learning how to play Olimar on RC, Jungle Japes, etc. In fact, those are the best stages to get better on with your main. You have to give yourself a mindset that Brinstar is your favorite stage or w/e and that your opponent must not know the MU to take you there (etc).
You guys better help me get a main.
:metaknight:

DeLux

Change my main to IC's and secondary to Wario. Fino is right in some respects. I'll worry about my TL for the IC ditto at some point down the line. I'm JUST starting to turn the corner in terms of competitive results, and messing with new stuff now might be detrimental.

Doesn't change the fact that you guys are going to see a lot more Wario from me at fests. Because I think I'll need that second at some point or another.

And I NEED TO STOP DROPPING GRABS. holy ****. More practice

Top Bottom