• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Hey Lux, I'm planning to drive out to Lawrence some time this week. If no one else ends up hosting melee, I want to get some practice in against you at the very least.
At this point, my work/school schedule is pretty hectic.

Tomorrow and Thursday, I work and then go to class at the Edwards Campus.

Friday, I have my intership 5-9am, work 10:00-2pm, 6pm-9pm. So I'll probably be napping between 2-6 because my class runs late on Thursday night

Saturday, I work closing 9pm-1:15am

Sunday, I work Opening 10am-2pm.

Smash Lord
Yeah Quote. Maybe I could tag along with you? What day?
Also, i`m thinking about going to the bi-weekly. Sounds tight. Doom, what`s the entry & venue fee look like. And what`s the time?
I really don't know. It's one of those wait and see if someone hosts kind of thing. I'm not entirely sure you'd be interested in this though, since I'm trying to play the melee crowd. Also, just a warning Lawrence operates on a wonky last minute scheduling basis. While Blake is cool and let's us know, 3+ hours in advance that games are going on, Lawrence in general is more like a mixture of calls/texts and posting, "Oh, I'm hosting now." at like 8:00-9:00. The only reason they ever get decent practice imo, is because they run things until 2-5a.m. That's one of the reasons I don't really make it out there too often. If you're still interested and can deal with the late night thing, I'll think about it, but picking you up adds about 40 minutes to my drive, so it's something I might not necessarily feel like doing.

Also, if I can make it to Whichita and back for 10$ (excluding food and tournament fees). I will go.

@Lux-Man, I feel sorry for you. That's really rough. I won't bother then if things are that hectic.

God, I need practice and I don't know how to get it.

Smash Lord
You sure. Gas is kinda expensive I think. I haven't done estimates or anything. If you are that insistent on going, you should see if you could get another person or two interested and if at all possible, and a more reliable car than mine. I hate driving for more than an hour consecutively, and honestly, when I do that, my driving starts to suck.

Btw if you don't have a drivers licence yet, this would be a very good way to build up hours.

EDIT:
It looks like 200 miles one way, I get almost 30mpg.

14 gallons from the looks of it price tag for gas is going to be about 42$ if this 3$/gallon sticks.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Bring more people to my event. I don't know if you were talking to the East Coast Doom or not, but I plan to have it as $5 singles and $10 per team (since it's only a biweekly). A setup isn't really necessary, since I already have two TVs. I'm pretty sure people from Wichita will provide more setups.

I'm starting things around 4pm, but games begin at 2.

DeLux

Bring more people to my event. I don't know if you were talking to the East Coast Doom or not, but I plan to have it as $5 singles and $10 per team (since it's only a biweekly). A setup isn't really necessary, since I already have two TVs. I'm pretty sure people from Wichita will provide more setups.

I'm starting things around 4pm, but games begin at 2.

How long has this been going on and how many people usually show? I plan to come to the next one regardless assuming I'm not working and not dead from Pound

Rockstar

Smash Ace
@ Quote. No. I have a good job, & don`t have to pay bills/college fees. It`s all good. So my wallets pretty fat now.

@ MegaRobMan. Idk about Aura`s. My mom might not wan`t me out that late. But if I can get her permission, then yeah for sure.

DeLux

So I just got off the phone with the library. And I'm going to consult with Fino on this today, but just to keep you guys posted.

If we wanted to use the Lawrence Public Library, we could definitely do it there if we wanted to pay. They said that the venue fee is $40/hour. However, they aren't open on weekends past 6. So if we were to do a two day 12-6 tournament, that's a total of $480. Which is roughly 100 people based on totals. Even if we combined facilities with the Melee group, (which is the plan anyways), we might be hard pressed to reach that many people.

Although there is talk in terms of waiving both fee and hours because we're trying to be charitable for the library and they kind of want the program exposure. So I'm having my contact talk to their higher up about it, to see if I can't find out tomorrow.

The other venue finance committee doesn't meet until February 13th and I won't find out their decision until the 14th. I'm relatively certain that one will be a go though.

Does anyone know of a cheaper backup plan?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
That's true, what Stealth said. One must factor in that people will leave to go get food when they're being called for matches. Also, don't forget time-outs. Expect a brawl set to last about 20-30 minutes. lol

DeLux

I agree. I'm attempting to get them to waive the hours of the library as well as the fee. Or I might try to get them to make it two days.

Aka: Day 1 of Pools. Day 2 of side events + brackets.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=59789

Here it is. If things go as planned, we could have the tourney end by no later than 8PM. But the MW is so slow and we have time-outs in play. *coughMcoughJcoughGcoughMrcoughDoomcoughHolmscough*

Thanks.

Sounds good. If Quote wants to go, then i'm down.
Alright, I just have to run this by my parents.

On a side note having another person for the ride would be appreciated. An extra driver (stick shift), and/or a more reliable car would be greatly appreciated.

If you plan on going to this, let me know. At the moment, I can still fit 2 more people in my car comfortably. It'd be a waste to not use them.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Alright. MM. Whoever wants it. I`m not picky.

Rockstar (Ness) vs Mr.Doom (Ike) Best 2/3.

Rockstar (Ness) vs MJG (Toon Link) Best 2/3

That`s what`s up.

Smash Lord

Lux and I are interested in going... I've texted you twice now with no reply...
Sorry I was getting some desperately needed sleep for I don't remember how long. It must have been a while. Sorry. Yeah I can take you guys.

How soon are we going to need to leave on Saturday morning? Also, how can we meet up so I don't have to drive three different places on Saturday morning.

EDIT: Checked my cell phone. I don't have any messages from you right now Fino. My cell phone is probably doing that stupid texting lag thing again, but just in case you got the wrong number (I don't think this is the case). My number is 913-704-7907. I know that it's kind of dumb but if you just call me this problem usually doesn't occur.

EDIT2: I need some practice practice before Saturday. Someone please help me out with this. I know that I'm not good. But I just don't want to be known as something worse than the guy who got eliminated round 2.

DeLux

I might have found someone. If they want to go, I will send them in my stead and they can champion my cause.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Quote you could just pick me up from the johnson county library as usual, since it`s easier to spot than my house. I think Wichita is like 3 hours from us, so i`m guessing we`d leave @ like 10/11.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I like a full car load. Also, I don't know if this will happen this weekend or not, but gas prices might jump up another 10 cents, climbing slowly up to $4 a gallon.

DeLux

I should be going. There is another person or 3 from Lawrence that said they might be going. I actually haven't met/played with them, but they were wanting to go to UNK3 but their friend's got sick so they had no ride.

They're a longshot, but possibility. Any other crews confirmed yet, Mr. Doom? I heard rumors that
Where you come from? omaha
Nebraska is making the trip.

My vote is that we leave from Lawrence that morning. I can't drive stick shift because I'm Asian and can't drive, and I get carsick if you suck at it. My van gets bad mileage too.

Smash Lord
Quote you could just pick me up from the johnson county library as usual, since it`s easier to spot than my house. I think Wichita is like 3 hours from us, so i`m guessing we`d leave @ like 10/11.
We are going to leave significantly earlier than that. I tend to start slowing down unless someones constantly tailgating me. On top of that, Lux will probably get carsick on the way. I can't drive for three+ hours straight without starting to get a little sloppy with my driving so that should be taken into account. The last time I went to Wichita, it was roughly 3.5 hours. The thread says that stuff starts at 12.

Adding things up, I would set aside at least 4 hours for drive time and about an hour for pick up time. I would likely have to leave at about 7 to get there by twelve if I'm picking everyone up. I'd probably pick you up around 7:30. I don't know where fino lives, and after that I need to head into Lawrence to pick up Lux. I'm thinking that that will happen around 8-8:15 if I'm lucky. Then we can leave land head in.

Depending on how late you guys feel like getting there/getting up, I can change this. But I want to get stuff earlier rather than later since I'll probably get home at about 3:00 in the morning and I'm not looking forward to that drive at all.

@lux-I know this might sound like a stupid question, but is there any otc medication you can use to deal with carsickness. It could be a good investment, for these kind of trips because it would cut down on drive time.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Any other crews confirmed yet, Mr. Doom? I heard rumors that
Where you come from? omaha
Nebraska is making the trip.

My vote is that we leave from Lawrence that morning. I can't drive stick shift because I'm Asian and can't drive, and I get carsick if you suck at it. My van gets bad mileage too.
I think it's only you guys and some locals from Wichita going to this. I'm not that concerned about it.

Man, come on. Stickshifts are fun to drive.

Also, tourney begins at 2PM, but I take it that you guys would want friendlies. (And how the heck does it take 3.5 hours to get to Wichita from KC? I get there in 2.5 -> 3 hours. >_>)

DeLux

When I took Fino and MJG to SLAST1, I made the drive in 2hours 15 minutes

But I'm Asian so that means I'm 2 fast 2 furious
in a Van

/drift

we should plan to arrive around 1ish instead

Smash Lord
I think it's only you guys and some locals from Wichita going to this. I'm not that concerned about it.

Man, come on. Stickshifts are fun to drive.

Also, tourney begins at 2PM, but I take it that you guys would want friendlies. (And how the heck does it take 3.5 hours to get to Wichita from KC? I get there in 2.5 -> 3 hours. >_>)

First of all. I live in Leavenworth. Second, I have to pick people up. Third I don't know where Fino lives and I'm gawdawful with directions. I'll honestly probably make lux spew out his lunch with the number of U-turns I make.

Friendlies = my main reason for going. I'm by far the worst out of KC, Unless there is someone in Wichita that you just picked up, I won't be making it past the second round.

I guess I could delay things, but it'd a bit dissapointing for me.

By the way, do you play 64?

Top Bottom