• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
they've also done individual changes to moves (hitboxes, damage, knockback).... so yea sky's the limit.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
oh all the melee people know about it, you should have seen what happened to strong bad the last time he mentioned it lol
Maybe we can chalk that up to people in the midwest not typically being very open-minded about new things.

I mean for god's sake, most of the rest of the country (and the world) has moved on to Brawl, even with all its shortcomings.

Good ol' Midwest people are like the majority of the remaining melee players. God forbid they try something new.

I should move to cali ;p

my brother and tanooki played a recent version of brawl+ as a joke and i played one round as zelda. the hit stun is just as bad as ssb64
I really don't know what you're complaining about here.

The hitstun is much longer than in vBrawl obviously, to promote more combo based gameplay, like in melee.

However, I very rarely see 0% to death combos like in Melee that would turn the game into first hit wins.

Why does it matter how long the hitstun lasts if the characters can't unfairly capitalize on it?

The ability to combo stunlock someone to death is much more possible in Melee than in B+, so what's the issue?

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Good ol' Midwest people are like the majority of the remaining melee players. God forbid they try something new.

I should move to cali ;p
Trust me everyone TRIED brawl. It just didn't meet midwest's standards. Most people just don't want to rely on an already bad game that has just been modded when they are looking for a competitive game. Although it could have a fan base, I don't see it ever getting more popular than melee or brawl. That being said, you should probably just play other games if you're looking for a tournament game. I wouldn't mind coming back for a good ol' reunion at JCCC, so I could play a lil' brawl+ as long as Sonic is somewhat legit.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Trust me everyone TRIED brawl. It just didn't meet midwest's standards. Most people just don't want to rely on an already bad game that has just been modded when they are looking for a competitive game. Although it could have a fan base, I don't see it ever getting more popular than melee or brawl. That being said, you should probably just play other games if you're looking for a tournament game. I wouldn't mind coming back for a good ol' reunion at JCCC, so I could play a lil' brawl+ as long as Sonic is somewhat legit.
Well this may have more to do with people being afraid to hack their Wiis than anything else.

And I use the term "hack" loosely because you are not physically altering the Wii in any way, you are simply installing a new channel on it the way Nintendo allows us to do and then changing the Brawl codeset to make it more competitive and fun.

Most people think you have to install a modchip or sauter something to play the game. Which is absolutely false. As far as I know and have ever heard, there is no possibility of harming your Wii by playing B+.

As far as the legal ramifications, it gets a little more debatable.

The reason I couldn't care less about this aspect is that Nintendo actually CHANGED their original policy AFTER they discovered people were doing this.

So as far as I'm concerned, I bought my Wii over a year ago and am only adhering to the policy that was in effect at that time. I never signed a contract or statement that promised I would continue to accept new and ultimately absurd agreements put out by Nintendo whenever their feelings get hurt.

In addition, Nintendo probably deserves this. They created a console near the end of the first decade of the 21st century that can't ever patch its games, has horribly laggy online play, and has so many ways it can be exploited because of this.

If they had put in a little more effort, and created a system where Brawl could actually be patched and updated regularly like say Halo 3; instead of just releasing it and forgetting about it like the past 2 games, we wouldn't have to resort too this.

Having said all that, I think the biggest problem is creating awareness that soft modding your wii shouldn't make you afraid or feel like you're doing something wrong. It is Nintendo that left us with such ****ty support and a terrible Smash game. I personally am very glad this happened.

Hopefully if people start to understand all the problems with original Brawl and why it's okay to change the codeset, B+ can get a tournament following.

Whether or not that happens is a different story.

Wing

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to get meetings set up this afternoon. Because nobody provided me with any better workable times, I'm just going to get Tues evening and Fri afternoon.

New rule I'm going to implement this semester is NO MORE GAME-UAL HARRASSMENT! WE WILL NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT OF PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR GAME. K.

This includes all forms of teasing, molestation, down-talking or otherwise unwanted behavior regarding one's game-ual preference. We'd like to encourage people to be polite and open-minded as this is and always has been a multi-platform, multi-genre gaming club.

Examples:
I don't like playing that game. <- allowed
That is a terrible game for x reasons. <- questionable, but considered relevant game-based discussion
You are a loser because you play that game. <- untolerated game-ual harrassment

D

Deleted member

stealth you need to bring your laptop to the meetings so i can wreck you with my 2 day old kouma

i'll start bringing blazblue on the 26th so you guys can try that **** out. i think every1 agrees that its a not as hardcore as GG. so you guys wont be as overwhelmed with learning **** lol

then KoFXII on the 7th!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace08

Smash Lord
Cool it'll be fun getting some melee going again too. And smash 64 for sure. Samus is too fun.

Unfortunately, my work this summer may get in the way of JCCC smash, but I'll try to make every meeting I can. Look forward to seeing you all thar

D

Deleted member

mang i dont have a japanese PS2 and if i did have it on the PS2 that would be amazing.

you fear my kouma's Kusanagi fire

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
By the way I'm sorry if I made anyone think that I was bashing vBrawl or Melee. If that's how it sounded it was not my intention.

I merely meant to say that most people I know around here enjoy Melee much more than Brawl and that B+ is a lot better in that sense. At least as far as emulating what makes Melee so much fun, not "copying" the gameplay by any means.

There is nothing wrong with original Brawl, I just think trying to use it in any type of actual competitive setting is a joke. It was clearly not designed for that. Hence the random tripping, defensive gameplay, exploitability, and just overall slow pace. It's a great game, I just think a lot of people want something more tournament oriented.

Anyways:
I'm going to get meetings set up this afternoon. Because nobody provided me with any better workable times, I'm just going to get Tues evening and Fri afternoon.
Alright can you please be a little more specific than that? Just using the terms "evening" and "afternoon" leave a lot up for interpretation and should probably be more precise.

Also, what building and room are we meeting in?

Wing

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
it was tuesday 4pm- to around 9 or 10 and then Friday 12pm-i think it was 5
im guessing its the same?

Jace08

Smash Lord
From first post:

here is a map: http://www.johnco.cc.ks.us/home/image/6035/

the corner lounge is on the north side of campus, right in the center of the big building SC/COM. It is under a large stair case at the east end of the cafeteria. head down the stairs to the side of the big staircase to find us.
Wing you can always call one of us if you have trouble finding us. My number is 787-3094.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also, what building and room are we meeting in?

Wing
the student center, go through any entrance and go through the food court to the end of it and then go down a small set of stairs into the Corner Lounge.

I'm sure if you asked, someone here would post up a cell phone # for them to go get you/direct you if you couldn't find it.

EDIT: lol ninja'd 24 minutes beforehand.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this semester you should all learn to play real games
"real games"
I am perfectly content in only playing imaginary games, thank you.

oh yeah by the way I'm bringing my Brawl+ set-up (as well as melee + cube of course), as I prefer to play with my favorite texture hax. so no one else has to bring theirs if they don't want to, but they can if they want. ^^ see you guys... later today! XD

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Meetings will be Tues 4-9 and Fri 1-6 (those are the official times but we usually always remain longer) in COM CORNER LOUNGE where we've had it the past Fall and Spring semesters. With two date exceptions.

Except TODAY, where it will be CRAIG COMMUNITY AUDITORIUM (Second floor GEB little theatre) and the 16th (next tuesday) will be [Edit: CARLSEN CENTER 211]

GEB is the building that is directly connected to the COM building. Go up the giant stairs from where our normal meeting spot is, walk down that hall, and you'll encounter the door into the GEB theatre a short ways down.

Carlsen Center 211 we've been to many times in the past. It's a large lecture hall classroom whose door is facing you from the Carlsen Center's elevator on the 2nd floor.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Well, shucks; it looks like I found out too late this time, but I will try to be there Friday. There's a certain something I've been wanting to try out with you guys (Stealth should know what it is). I'm looking forward to it.

Jace08

Smash Lord
It looks like I'll be able to be there Friday until like 3:40ish. Then I gotta work.

Do any melee players wanna show up around like 12:30 or something to get some early games in?

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there.

Looking forward to OWNING Stealth again.

Man, I'll be surprised if he shows up after what happened Tuesday ;p

Wing

D

Deleted member

stealth got owned by a scrub and the pika chat all in one day

i guess i'll still bring my ps2 set up just in case if somebody wants to play, they'll be able to. i really doubt i'm going to play a lot of melee or ssb64 tho because smash is so boring now....

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I'll come if there's any B+ friendlies. The tournament obviously takes precedence, but in-between battles or after being eliminated I wouldn't mind playing with people.

I know that we've converted Stealth and the SSB master ;p

Fino and Strong Bad already like it, and a few people haven't even tried it so I think there will always be enough for a game.

BTW I was just kidding about Stealth. I got stomped for like 5 hours straight. Until he picked Ganon that is. Hahahahaha

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sorry I didn't play much w/ you Wing, but Jace and I are a lot closer in skill level in melee than you and I in brawl +. it's just more fun for me. you'll get better, though, and I'll play more during later meetings :) it was definitely nice meeting you ^^

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Nah man it's cool. You guys have been playing these games for years at a competitive level.

I haven't really had much competition around where I live or any reason to try and improve.

I intended vBrawl to be the game that I seriously got into but I really disliked it after I bought it. I has only been B+ that has inspired me to actually get good.

Besides, if you had played with me then Jace would have been alone lol..

I'll get better don't worry. I've been practicing a lot and watching some useful videos. It might take a couple weeks, but I'll be at your level soon.

Wing

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh yeah btw
i'm probably not going to be there today. I'll be like two blocks away at like 2:30-4 or so, which is humorous, but probably won't be showing up. XD have fun today guys :) see you on tuesday!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
since duck is not responding to me right now, assume that it is CC211, since that is what i think its going to be. ill leave my number so you guys can call me, though duck gave a pretty good description on the previous page. my number is 913-485-0664. if you get there and dont see me or any tvs call me

IMPORTANT EDIT: we are meeting in the corner lounge

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Well ****, I guess this Friday got shafted.

Apparently Stealth and Ampharos came at around 1 o'clock and the tvs were supposed to be in the com corner lounge. They asked the jccc people to move the tvs down there but they were being rude or something and it never happened.

Jace and I got there at around 1:30 and I guess everyone else was already gone.

We checked the com corner lounge first and nobody was there so we went up to the craigs auditorium room and saw that the tvs were there, so we assumed that's where it was.

We played for awhile then at about 2:15 the JCCC people came into the room saying they had been given an order to move the tvs down to the corner lounge. We told them it was fine and that we would just have it in the auditorium.

Jace checked the corner lounge 3 times after that to make sure nobody else had come, but I guess you guys were already gone.

So it was just me and Jace til about 330 then he had to go to work.

Hopefully next time we can be more coordinated ;p

Wing

Top Bottom