• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
My Ideal K Rool design is the Paon design with a bigger bloodshot eye, slightly bigger crown, golden chestplate and tail. I love Paon K Rool's face its just so expressive due to the smaller pupils.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I like this mockup a fair amount too:

Seems like a reasonable compromise between the PAON and Rare designs.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically I think the gold belly is just body armor. That's not a central aspect and I don't think its necessary, although I would rather have it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
How would we feel if Sakurai chooses Dixie as DLC instead? I would be slightly disappointed for a couple of minutes, while happy for Dixie at the same time lol.

There must be at least one pallete/texture/costume swap with the Gold Belly Armor.:starman:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How would we feel if Sakurai chooses Dixie as DLC instead? I would be slightly disappointed for a couple of minutes, while happy for Dixie at the same time lol.

There must be at least one pallete/texture/costume swap with the Gold Belly Armor.:starman:
I'll accept Dixie in addition to K. Rool, but not instead of K. Rool. I'd definitely be peeved if we just got Dixie. If we got Dixie and Isaac, then I'd be ok with that, but there'd still be a K. Rool shaped hole.

lordrogersmith6485

Smash Cadet

I wouldn't be upset. Just having another DK character PERIOD would be a major victory for us DK fans. But still... I would ultimately lament for the King, as he was my preferred choice from the start.

Last edited:

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about Dixie at all. She wouldn't be a replacement, just another monkey. K. Rool is the only character I want when it comes to DK series. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge DK fan and I have nothing against Dixie in general. I just don't give a flying banana about her inclusion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still don't see why Diddy couldn't have been in Smash 64.

I mean Jigglypuff was a secret character but no Diddy? DK was at the top of his game at that point. Mario got Luigi, DK could have gotten Diddy in that game
This always bothered me. Luckily they are making Project M for N64 though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I still don't see why Diddy couldn't have been in Smash 64.

I mean Jigglypuff was a secret character but no Diddy? DK was at the top of his game at that point. Mario got Luigi, DK could have gotten Diddy in that game
For the same reason that Wario and Meowth and several other iconic Nintendo characters weren't in 64 - Sakurai simply didn't want them. As for Jigglypuff, one of the major reason she got in is because of how easy she was to implement as a Kirby semi-clone at the time, beating time constraints unlike Bowser, Dedede and Mewtwo, the only three characters planned for 64 that were cut. (I wonder if Luigi was among the final additions to 64 like Ganondorf in Melee due to being more easily implementable as a clone than the other, more unique characters of the original 12 or if he was implemented fully at an earlier point?)

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I still don't like to just "assume" we're winning even though K. Rool's chances of frontrunning the votes is extremely high. There's still millions of gamers out there who don't even bother with forums or consulting with anyone from the internet. we have no clue as to how the official poll is actually going through. I would be severely disappointed if K. rool didn't make it and would just look forward to him towards the next smash (if ever). I foresee large rants if K. Rool doesn't make it but it'll eventually be a thing of the past. Just look forward to what's best for one of the greatest villains of all time.
The thing is though that the people who don't use forms probably don't watch Nintendo directs and don't even KNOW about the poll. The results we have gotten from forums is a pretty good indicator of how the king is doing

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
K. Rool is in 1st place on that survey!

And I still find it odd that Shovel Knight has so many votes, but oh well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For the same reason that Wario and Meowth and several other iconic Nintendo characters weren't in 64 - Sakurai simply didn't want them. As for Jigglypuff, one of the major reason she got in is because of how easy she was to implement as a Kirby semi-clone at the time, beating time constraints unlike Bowser, Dedede and Mewtwo, the only three characters planned for 64 that were cut. (I wonder if Luigi was among the final additions to 64 like Ganondorf in Melee due to being more easily implementable as a clone than the other, more unique characters of the original 12 or if he was implemented fully at an earlier point?)
No, rather, time restrictions. Granted, Diddy Kong I think was ignored specifically because of Rare. Until the Rare buyout, no DK characters were really used outside of the DKC franchise except for DK himself because they were considered "Rare" characters regardless of Nintendo owning them.

By Melee Diddy could've been considered as well, but the Rare buyout really complicated things.

K. Rool is in 1st place on that survey!

And I still find it odd that Shovel Knight has so many votes, but oh well.
As I've stated before, Shovel Knight is a western only thing. Shovel Knight would significantly drop if it was a worldwide thing because he's not in Japan at all, whereas Snake, Isaac, Wolf, and Roy would probably all jump ahead of him (Banjo might stay ahead, though; that depends).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Coming from Dixie-support thread to talk about what ChronoBound told us:

He suggested that we should make Dixie be more supported towards PM than Smash 4 Ballot due K.Rool's bigger and more active presence. Which has me asking, should Dixie be removed from K.Rool's competition completely for an inferior spot because of her fanbase not being as big yours?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

He suggested that we should make Dixie be more supported towards PM than Smash 4 Ballot due K.Rool's bigger and more active presence. Which has me asking, should Dixie be removed from K.Rool's competition completely for an inferior spot because of her fanbase not being as big yours?
I disagree with this notion honestly. I'd far rather try and get Dixie in Smash alongside K. Rool than to sacrifice this possibility and just "deal" with getting her into Project M instead.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Nah. I'd personally really prefer K. Rool over Dixie because Dixie could potentially become a semi-clone, which I have very little interest in, but she should have her own fair chance.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What is miss with semi-clones again? Last time I checked, Wolf and Lucas, two semi-clones, where far more popular than "highly unique" characters as Ice Climbers, and even Snake.

Semi-clones aren't bad.

Sure, I prefer K.Rool over Dixie, but I really, really want Dixie as well.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What is miss with semi-clones again? Last time I checked, Wolf and Lucas, two semi-clones, where far more popular than "highly unique" characters as Ice Climbers, and even Snake.

Semi-clones aren't bad.

It's a subjective thing. I prefer new stuff over old stuff, and semi-clones are partially old stuff. This is also why I harbor very little interest for the Brawl veterans that have been left out, but that's just me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Semi-clones aren't bad.

That's not actually an accurate assessment of the situation. You see, Ice Climbers also have this problem known as Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. There's sort of a problem that prevents them from working on it. Because they can't work on it after Sakurai tried developing them for a while, the odds seem to be stacked against them for getting into the game. So they have far less support than they normally would.

Ice Climbers in general are the most missed veteran because they were cut after being in Smash two games straight. Wolf and Lucas are more popularly requested because more people think they'll make it in.

Regardless I would definitely not mind a semi-clone Dixie, and personally, I feel that is the best fit for her, anyway.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman

Semi-clones aren't bad.

Sure semi-clones aren't BAD, but unique characters are better. And Ice Climbers and Snake aren't getting as many votes because realistically they both have almost no shot of coming back.

AbsoluteZer0Nova

Smash Cadet
These are some of my views on the characters selected in the polls.

1. King K. Rool has popularity from both the east and west. Not only that he has a campaign over in Japan helping him immensely along with even games like the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and even 64 on the Wii U VC in helping him be more known to young gamers. Very likely to be selected.

2. Shovel Knight while popular here in the west is not known in Japan due to the fact his game was never released over there (Little Mac at least did have games released over there and was acknowledged by some). Not likely to be selected.

3. Banjo-Kazooie a popular Rare character who is getting a lot of support. The only problem is that if he were to be chosen Nintendo would be taking a Microsoft character who will never appear in any future games for a Nintendo console and his 64 game will not appear in the Wii U VC. At best they would be helping their rival and at least 3rd party characters like Snake, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman have had past and future Nintendo games. Not likely to be selected.

4. Snake is a popular 3rd party many want to see return, however given what has happened in Konami with his creator Kojima leaving this could complicate things a bit. Not sure if he will be selected and I'm not really hopeful of him coming back.

5. Issac a very popular newcomer from the RPG Golden Sun who can bring a lot to the table for a moveset given his psynergy abilities despite being another swordsman and falls into the same category as I would say Robin with him be more magic based (amusingly enough he is called Robin in Japan lol). Golden Sun's music is within the game and Issac does not appear as an trophy assist this time around as he did in Brawl. Likely to be selected.

6. Wolf's very likely to return and probably he won't be the selected Fighter Ballot character due to the fact Star Fox Wii U is coming soon and he was just behind Lucas in popularity. He might very well be our August DLC character shown to us in a E3 trailer in June.

7. Inkling with Splatoon gaining even more recognition and hype it is very possible that this one will be selected as DLC from both old and young gamers alike and will get more votes once the game releases in May.

8. Roy another Marth clone who Lucina already covers and I doubt he would have any changes due to how most of the returning fighters (exceptions being like Zelda, Sheik and ZSS who only having 1 different move change) are in this game have the same moveset. There is also the issue of having the Fire Emblem series with 5 reps getting the same amount as Zelda and while the series has gained more popularity due to Awakening's success it was a surprise in itself with it getting 4. Not likely to be selected.

9. Shantae suffers from the same problem as Shovel Knight. Not likely to be selected.

10. Paper Mario... what I got to say for this is that Dr. Mario was and still is a mistake in bringing into the game. Maybe I would have been more acceptable of Paper Mario had Dr. Mario not return because for sure he would have had a different moveset and would have been the Toon Link of the Mario series. Not likely to happen given we have 7 reps already.

11. Ice Climbers have the issues of the 3DS bringing them down and Sakurai might not want to have to go through the trouble of separating them and making Nana an alternate skin of Popo as some people have suggested. Not sure on this one.

12. Ridley is already in the game as a boss, that's all that needs to be said.

13. Bayonetta despite being another Sega rep has had much support from Nintendo. One problem I could see is how the game's rating with her inclusion would be, maybe a different design like ZSS could help with that. Could possibly happen.

14. Waluigi is already an assist trophy and is just as bad a pick as Daisy (alt skin of Peach anyway). 100% sure not to happen.

15. Rayman has recently have many Nintendo games as of late and after the stunt that was pulled by Omni many Rayman fans felt enraged and disheartened by what happened. This could very well be their chance despite him being a 3rd party. Could possibly happen.

Luigi player

Smash Master

Imo that's a terrible idea.
I'd really like Dixie in Smash even though I want K. Rool more. Nintendo has to see that she's wanted too. The more DK characters pop up on their poll the better (they'll see DK characters are wanted and are more likely to include at least one if not two of them).
Dixie could theoretically still come with/after K. Rool as DLC if she gets enough votes, and even if not, Nintendo could likely look at the poll for characters to add in the next Smash.

Definitely support her for PM, but don't let her miss her chance for the official games!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
With the increasing optimism about the Krok King's chances and the faith we got back about him, I thought about creating and posting a graph relevant to the subject :awesome:

"Shoo-in" is obviously not to be taken literally and I'm not taking seriously my use of this word here. Though I legitimately think that the DK releases on VC increase his chances, because it means that more people can easily enjoy the famous games he's featured in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
With the increasing optimism about the Krok King's chances and the faith we got back about him, I thought about creating and posting a graph relevant to the subject :awesome:

"Shoo-in" is obviously not to be taken literally and I'm not taking seriously my use of this word here. Though I legitimately think that the DK releases on VC increase his chances, because it means that more people can easily enjoy the famous games he's featured in.
Well, to be fair, the people saying those things were two different groups of people. It is true that many considered him a shoe-in prior to release, but right now people don't consider him a shoe-in. They just consider him very, very likely, and his odds LOOK good, but no one right now considers him a shoe-in; they've learned their lessons on that at least.

Now, yeah, there was a downtime where K. Rool fans lost all hope and optimism. However, at the same time, K. Rool's fans never said he was irrelevant. That was merely the detractors.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Say, if the King does make it into Smash, and assumedly the next DKC, anybody else think it would be awesome to get a series of shorts explaining what he's been up to in the interim(from either Jungle Climber, 64 or Dk Barrel blast depending on canonicity)? Reassembling his forces, doing a stint as an archeologist(complete with getup) and "accidently" releasing the Tiki's, then discovering the ancient snow horn of a mythic tribe to the north, then in the next short donning an explorer getup, finding the snowmads giving them back their heritage and warrior spirit, then being betrayed. The Final short would have him escape barely, just to finally find the weapon he needs to destroy the kongs, then leading into the next DKC games

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Dixie gets in I expect her to be a semi-clone, it just seems like something Sakurai would do given her similarites to Diddy.
Agreed. I've been saying this for a while; even though she COULD be a fully original character, she has the potential to be a semiclone, and I think Sakurai would definitely go for it considering her similarities to Diddy. I doubt she'd be fully original. However, she -should- be original enough that she's more like Wolf or Lucas rather than Lucina.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I've been saying this for a while; even though she COULD be a fully original character, she has the potential to be a semiclone, and I think Sakurai would definitely go for it considering her similarities to Diddy. I doubt she'd be fully original. However, she -should- be original enough that she's more like Wolf or Lucas rather than Lucina.
I'd imagine she'd have different A-attacks, a unique recovery, with the other 3 specials being similar to each other. She'd probably shoot bubblegum instead of peanuts, maybe with different properties like speed, damage, trajectory, etc. Her Side-B would probably still be the Monkey Flip, with some changes. Her down B could be her leaving Bubble Gum on the floor, rather than banana peels, which could cause opponents to stop in place rather than trip?

Idk, that doesn't really seem like a super interesting moveset but that's the best I could get. I still stand by the fact that I think the chances of DK getting two DLC characters is tiny and I see her as competition to the King more than anything. I'll support her AFTER we get K. Rool

Steelia

Smash Champion

tbh, we don't know how many Smash characters Sakurai intends on making. Most people predict up to 5, but the man flip-flops his opinion so much, and with this absolutely MASSIVE ballot campaign, him or the higher ups could change their minds and add a few more down the road. So I'd say don't give up on Dixie just yet; outside of K. Rool, she's really the only other rep the DK side needs.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
According to a DK Vine post, a Japanese guy dis a mini-survey of who people were voting for on social media, and the King got just a middling ranking.

While it is true that most of the characters above him have laughably little chance (Geno? Chrom? Sukapon?), if this isn't reason to get out today and ensure K. Rool receives more votes from the West, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Most of the characters above him are laughable at best.

Snake is NOT coming back, get over it. Geno is owned by an entirely different company and is still ranked low on most polls, Ice Climbers are not coming back get over it, Bandana Dee is laughable, Wolf is a shoo-in already, Roy...no Roy will never ever come back. Banjo is the only one with an actual shot and that's stretching it. Chrom was flat out deconfirmed and Inkling's game hasn't even came out yet.

Also, that is a very VERY small sample size.

HOWEVER go out and vote K Rool regardless, we cannot stop this avalanche!!

Last edited:
According to a DK Vine post, a Japanese guy dis a mini-survey of who people were voting for on social media, and the King got just a middling ranking.

While it is true that most of the characters above him have laughably little chance (Geno? Chrom? Sukapon?), if this isn't reason to get out today and ensure K. Rool receives more votes from the West, I don't know what is.
Viridi one place less than King K rool.

okay that is just ridiculous. Must be an outlier of some sort. and I sort of love it

bandana dee and Wolf are the only ones with a chance above k rool anyway

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I don't see Bandanna Dee getting in because, while Sakurai is biased towards Kirby he is biased towards the Kirby games that he made and I don't think he worked on Return to Dreamland. Also for Dixie I see her grab being her hair and using her hair for tether recovery too.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
8. Roy another Marth clone who Lucina already covers and I doubt he would have any changes due to how most of the returning fighters (exceptions being like Zelda, Sheik and ZSS who only having 1 different move change) are in this game have the same moveset. There is also the issue of having the Fire Emblem series with 5 reps getting the same amount as Zelda and while the series has gained more popularity due to Awakening's success it was a surprise in itself with it getting 4. Not likely to be selected.
Actually... Sheik has two different move change (Side B and Down B)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
10 votes DeMille (from Tomato Adventure)
The poll is rigged, go home everyone.

133 votes Roy (FE)
87 votes Wolf
82 votes Bandana Waddle Dee (47 Bandana Dee + 35 Waddle Dee)
53 votes Snake
46 votes Inkling
45 votes Geno
37 votes Ice Climbers
34 votes Sukapon
33 votes Chrom (FE)
32 votes Banjo Kazooie
30 votes King K. Rool
So let's see.
-Wolf is pretty likely, yes.
-Snake is also likely assuming Sakurai is willing to do the whole we-are-friends-pls-add-snake dance again.
-Ice Climbers will in all likelyhood not happen, unless they are willing to either screw over 3DS users or change their playstyle entirely.
-Geno rests in Squeenix's copyright hell.
-Chrom's day is not in the near future considering what Sakurai said about him.
-BK is possible, but even with the popularity it's still possible they won't make it.
-Sukapon is like the Ice Climbers; from a dead franchise with a single game. Maybe, maybe.
-Inkling is from a yet to be released game, and already fairly popular. Huh. Not sure.
-Bandana Dee is a weird one, isn't he, being an ascended mook and all. Maybe, I personally wouldn't add him but my opinion doesn't factor into it all that much.

Still though, what the bleeding hell is DeMille doing in this poll?

Top Bottom