• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer a poll that has almost 3000 votes than one that garnered barely 200.

Just don't stop voting K Rool, we need as many votes as possible!

Also, if anyone knows of an animator/film guy maybe we can all pitch in to make a very official looking King K. Rool Kampiagn video.

My buddy is into film so I'll ask him but I'm urging everyone to go out and search for someone.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd prefer a poll that has almost 3000 votes than one that garnered barely 200.

Just don't stop voting K Rool, we need as many votes as possible!

Also, if anyone knows of an animator/film guy maybe we can all pitch in to make a very official looking King K. Rool Kampiagn video.

My buddy is into film so I'll ask him but I'm urging everyone to go out and search for someone.
Just to make sure, some of the other polls we have seen have more than a thousand votes?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
As long as we keep our votes up and the King is up there or on top we should be good. Lucas was mostly wanted in Japan more so than over here as they have a larger Mother following. If he got picked to come back due to fan demand largely put forth in Japan than K. Rool is realistically able to get in through western demand.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Honestly, if K. Rool doesn't make it in this time, I'm going to have to assume that:

A: Sakurai doesn't like him.
B: Sakurai is really unfamiliar with him.
C: Nintendo doesn't want Sakurai to include him.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I've started campaigning on For Glory using the name Vote4KRool. Hopefully this reminds people on who to vote for.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
(This is my first post here)

King K. Rool is probably the best option for the series. He definitely has popularity and would (hopefully) not mean another clone character for the series. Even if (for some reason) he doesn't get in Smash 4, the fans have had enough support to bring him into Smash 5. As others have said, the King K. Rool love has to keep its momentum throughout the end of the ballot (or if he gets announced early). He would have appeared in the series already if Sakurai thought that he was a high profile character (at least in his opinion). I'm very happy that we have such a strong lead, but I do know that characters like Inkling, Isaac, and Shovel Knight, which I would also love, are battling with K. Rool in the top 5 spots and will possibly take precedence over King K. Rool (depending on how the rest of this ballot goes)

#KrocTheVote
#BringBackKRool

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Here's a bit of news for everyone. The website is updated, and there are 5 blank spots next to Mewtwo, so maybe that could signify how many DLC characters they are planning on creating? Here's an image:

Of course Lucas is also going to be one of them. And Wolf is probably another. So that's 3 spots for the King to try and grab!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Eeeeee....if this was a worldwide poll, I'm sure Banjo would be ahead of Shovel Knight...

Keep going, Banjo!!

But also, **** yeah for the King!

Here's a bit of news for everyone. The website is updated, and there are 5 blank spots next to Mewtwo, so maybe that could signify how many DLC characters they are planning on creating? Here's an image:

Of course Lucas is also going to be one of them. And Wolf is probably another. So that's 3 spots for the King to try and grab!
That's odd. I mean, they used to just be potential placeholders, but then they disappeared even after Mewtwo was there for the direct. Why suddenly add them back?

5 characters, likely 3 from the poll? Man, that'd be a dream.

K. Rool, Banjo and Isaac/Dixie plox.

Last edited:

doesnt mean anything. didnt before release either.

the number of boxes changes based on zoom or if you are on mobile.

Steelia

Smash Champion

It's always been like that, even before the release of Smash for 3DS/Wii U. It depends on your browser, or what you use to surf the web. Don't look into it too much :)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Decided to spend my time wisely and start working on a tribute to our king.

Now let's actually finish things for once.

D

Deleted member

To add some fuel to the fire, the mobile version of the site uses 5 x 7 instead of 7 x 5. (Technically it's 4 x 7 now, but with Lucas it would become 5 x 7)
With Mewtwo, every current row is filled.
When Lucas gets added to the site, a new row will appear, with the exact same amount of remaining placeholder spaces.

The placeholders may not have meant anything in the past.....but I hypothesize they mean something now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Instead of thinking why King K. Rool I tried thinking why not?

The only two reasons I got were

Too complex to make new moveset out of and hasn't appeared in ages.

To those I say "Sakurai made a moveset out of a turtle in a clown car and a yoga trainer" and "Ganondorf hasn't appeared in a main Zelda game since Twilight Princess, so what?"

Seriously, if we don't get K. Rool and/or Dixie (or Cranky) there's some DKC bias going on.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Snake is not happening ok. I have never been more dead serious on a character's exclusion than him.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Snake has one of the worst positions to be in this time:

His creator has stated to leave the company (Kojima could be trolling).
Konami does not know what to do with the franchise.
Who owns Snake's character rights?

To get in, Snake needs to perform some kind of Circus Act where he appeals to Kojima (if he holds the rights), Konami and Nintendo at the same time.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, regarding Dixie:

I like Dixie a lot, I do. Going into Smash 4, my top five requests were K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena, and Dixie. However, DLC has made wanting a Smash character in to essentially be a free for all, with everyone having to pick a side, since we don't know HOW many characters we're gonna get. It would be nice to get K. Rool and Dixie, yes, but by current projections it doesn't seem super likely. I want K. Rool much more than Dixie so if Dixie got in I'd be happy but bummed that Sakurai, who has previously neglected Donkey Kong, probably just picked the easier, less popular choice, and moved on.

The precedent for two new characters from the same franchise in the small pool of DLC characters has simply not been set. There are plenty of other characters that could be added before Dixie, going by popularity polls.

Wouldn't be surprised if Konami starts selling out the Metal Gear franchise after Kojima leaves
They've already said on their site they're looking to reboot the series after Kojima leaves.

There's no way Konami would give up their ONLY moneymaking video game brand.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I just can't stop voting.
That's the way, right ?

I really think that they will give us Wolf this year, then 3 or 4 characters from the poll.
I think if any veteran (besides Snake) be at the top of the ballot, they will include one anyway to build one DLC each 3 months in 2016. And I don't think more than 2016 is possible... maybe then stages?
It would be cool to keep the game alive and well.
Also, all new DLC character should bring a stage ¬¬

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Hello Komrades Kremlings! Long time no see! Already a while since my last visit on Smashboards! Being an very active supporter of Pac-Man, and the most I could of the King Kroc! .. but now, that I can have some freetime again, I'll be aboard the Gangplank Galleon until the end of the ballot! Already did my past contributing with several votes for K. Rool in several computers, and bringing more Kremlings to the cause!

here's my humble way to spread the Kremling Kampaign:

Soon, I'll bring some animated ideas for K. Rool's moveset that will help to convince some doubters. =P

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
*makes poll*

*doesn't have King K. Rool in poll*

Fail NintendoLife, FAIL.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...you_want_to_win_the_smash_bros_fighter_ballot
This is what happens when video game journalists have agendas. Remember this beaut?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2010/07/28/donkey-kong-country-returns-everything-we-know

Cam Shea said:
Still, we're glad to see the backs of the Kremlings, and we're also keeping our fingers crossed that the extended Kong cast won't be returning either. Cranky Kong and Candy Kong served a purpose in the first game (even though the latter was frankly disturbing – a blonde-haired, makeup wearing female ape in hot pants? No thanks), but after that it just got ridiculous. Chunky Kong? Kiddy Kong? Wrinkly Kong? Dixie Kong? Funky Kong? Enough already.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Not to mention half the poll isn't even Nintendo characters. That site is slowly losing my respect by the day.
Was just posting on there earlier, one of the writers complaining about DK64 basically making it sound like he's forcing himself to play it because he never played it before. Aside from that he thinks the controls are bad and there's too much collecting........I was like wow....

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hello Komrades Kremlings! Long time no see! Already a while since my last visit on Smashboards! Being an very active supporter of Pac-Man, and the most I could of the King Kroc! .. but now, that I can have some freetime again, I'll be aboard the Gangplank Galleon until the end of the ballot! Already did my past contributing with several votes for K. Rool in several computers, and bringing more Kremlings to the cause!

Soon, I'll bring some animated ideas for K. Rool's moveset that will help to convince some doubters. =P
Glad to have you on board! If you need ideas to animate, there is a ton here:

I kame to the realisation earlier that whilst K.Rool kould easily be implemented as a klone of Bowser, he kould also (special moves wise at least) also be implemented as a semi-klone of Dedede; he has the vakuum, the spiked kannonballs instead of Gordos, the jump and ground pound, with the only thing missing being the Down Special.

Obviously none of this is ideal. But this is why I think we should kome up with a kollaborative moveset which we link to in our votes, to really push the uniqueness we want - K. Rool as a reskin of an existing heavyweight isn't much better than no Rool at all. Moreover, if we had one of these we kould link to, we kould also use it as something to konvince people who are on the fence as to whether he's a good kharakter choice or not. I have a load to start with. It's already fairly kollaborative as a lot of the ideas inkluded there are other peoples. I am not sure which kredit goes to who (Shoutouts to @ BKupa666 BKupa666 for a lot of it though, especially the grab).

Move / Name / Origin / Time / Description

The moves are labelled by the key above. If a move is taken from one of the games, then the time represents the time you can see it being used in said game in one of the videos below:

DKC1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvpRdZJpZnU
DKC2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky6mkDQA2z4
DKC3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgHo678iYpU
DK64 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bK41EFtxA
King of Swing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnA8a-QoPC8&oref=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnA8a-QoPC8&has_verified=1

SPECIAL ATTACKS:

King K. Rool's special attacks focus on his most iconic tools and gadgets from his DKC boss battles, giving him a set of slow but powerful ranged options which set him apart from similar heavyweight characters.

Neutral Special - Blunderbuss Kannon - DKC2 - 0:06 - King K. Rool takes out his blunderbuss, charges and then fires a cannonball from it, which is affected by gravity. Its speed, knockback and damage are affected by length of charge. Upon striking the ground, it becomes an item in a similar vein to ROB's gyro. K. Rool cannot fire another one until this disappears. The direction of fire can be angled.

Side Special - Krown Toss - DKC1 - 0:07 - King K. Rool throws his crown out to the side as a boomerang. It bounces off surfaces, and the direction of throw can be angled. The closest comparison is Toon Link's Side Special, though the crown would have different properties.

Up Special - Kopter - DKC3 - 2:10 - King K. Rool takes out his helicopter pack from DKC3 and uses it to soar upwards. The helicopter blades are damaging to foes who try to strike from above.

Down Special - Inkoming! - DKC1 - 0:38 - King K. Rool stomps the ground in front of him, causing a cannonball to fall down from the sky above in front of him. The stomp causes minor damage (and can spike like Luigi's down taunt). The cannonball falls from the top so is useful for attacking airborne opponents. It can also be useful in guarding the ledge in a similar way to Villager's Bowling Ball attack, though it has farther to fall and as such is more predictable and easier to react to.

SMASH ATTACKS:

King K. Rool is notable for having strong, disjointed smashes which are balanced by having very exploitable weaknesses as homages to his boss battles.

Side Smash - Vakuum - DKC2 - 0:13 - During the charging animation of this attack, K.Rool activates the vacuum on his blunderbuss, sucking in opponents and items. During this period, he has super armour. Then, he unleashes an explosion from his blunderbuss with a strong disjointed hitbox, the strength of which varies depending on the distance from the blunderbuss barrel. However, if he is hit with a projectile during the charging period, his blunderbuss explodes, causing damage.

Up Smash - Kround Pound - DK64 - 1:57 - Whilst charging, K.Rool crouches. Then, he leaps upwards, with an invincible damaging hitbox on his crown. Whilst falling, he has a spiking hitbox that buries anything underneath him. Upon landing, he generates shockwaves, the magnitude of which depend on the charge. This is strong and difficult to punish if he lands, but leaves him very open at the sides during the attack.

Down Smash - Elektrokution - DKC3 - 2:50 - Whilst charging, K. Rool takes out a remote. Then, he activates it, electrifying the ground in front of him and stunning opponents standing there for a follow-up attack in a similar fashion to Zero Suit Samus' paralyser. He is completely open with no non grounded hitbox during the attack, however.

STANDARD ATTACKS:

King K. Rool's standard moveset primarily takes inspiration from his boxing in DK64. This forms a weaker but more speedy part of his moveset with which he tries deal with opponents who manage to close the distance to him.

Jab - Kombo - DK64 - 2:14 - King K. Rool does a multi-hit boxing jab combo. Low damage and knockback, but fast.

Dash Attack - Krash! - DKC1 - 0:12 - King K. Rool charges forwards, ramming the opponent. To make this more visually distinct from his run, it could involve his head lowered, charging with his crown, or a leap forward, taken from the games.

Side Tilt - Katch! - DK64 - 4:10 - King K. Rool punches forward. His boxing glove also flies off his fist, giving some extra range. Whilst this glove is disjointed with no hurtbox, it is also extremely weak, similar to one of Mega Man's pellets. This is compensated for by extra ending lag on the move, making it easy to punish.

Up Tilt - Upperkut - DK64 - 15:41 - King K. Rool delivers a strong uppercut as he does to Chunky Kong in DK64 (though you cannot see it fully in this video). A good out of shield punish.

Down Tilt - Send Me a Postkard! - Original - K. Rool quickly swipes at the opponents legs, tripping them. If he is using a tail design, then using the tail, else just a low swipe using boxing gloves.

AERIAL ATTACKS:

K. Rool's aerial attacks are mostly original, though take heavy inspiration from his boss appearances. In general they are fairly slow, making him more susceptible to combos.

Neutral Aerial - Kurling - King Of Swing - 1:15 - K. Rool spins in midair. This is a very fast aerial covering all directions that deals low damage and knockback but breaks combos well.

Forward Aerial - Klaw Swipe - Original - K. Rool swipes the air in front of him using either claws or boxing gloves. If claws, then it is slow but powerful, like Bowser. If gloves, it is faster but less powerful.

Backwards Aerial - Momentum Kancelling - DKC2 - 0:11 - K. Rool fires his blunderbuss behind him, propelling him forwards in midair. Improves horizontal survivability as it cancels some momentum. Similar to ROB.

Up Aerial - Kopter Kutter - Original - K. Rool's copter blades extend upwards and spin. This disjointed attack is similar to Rosalina's up Aerial.

Down Aerial - Kannon Pogo - Original - King K. Rool fires his blunderbuss downwards, spiking opponents and propelling him upwards slightly. This is virtually identical to ROB's down aerial.

MISCELLANEOUS:

This contains the rest of K. Rool's attributes.

Krawl - K. Rool can crawl along the ground like a crocodile. (Admit it; you want to see this)

Grab - K. Rool brings a barrel down on his opponents head, trapping them in an animation very similar to Villager's grab that is inspired by his capture of Diddy Kong.

Final Smash - Kredits - DKC1 - 1:40 - K. Rool plays dead and the kredits roll. These form rising platforms that the opponents must escape before it drags them off the ceiling. Other alternatives involve the Blast-O-Matic, King Kut Out, KAOS, and King Kraid Rool (DKC Jungle Climber) but the Kredits seem the most fun and original to me.

EDIT: Konveniently, this seems to be what we're already diskussing. Also I have no idea why the double spoilers are happening in there.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Can I put in a request if you're doing animations?

Animate this with K. Rool thinking "Gators gonna gate" so it can get posted on NeoGAF whenever they start whining about how "ugly" he is.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Animate this with K. Rool thinking "Gators gonna gate" so it can get posted on NeoGAF whenever they start whining about how "ugly" he is.
Ugly? lol have they ever looked at Rosalina ha ha ha

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I voted for K. Rool the moment I could since he's my most wanted newcomer for this game besides Shulk. Hopefully he gets in to give the DK series some love and I would love to have an amiibo of him in my room with Lucas, Ness, Shulk, Wolf etc.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Not sure if I can handle an animation with this much detail, but I'll love to do something to shut some mouths (principally on NeoGAF). =P .. soon I'll post a preview of what I'm planning.

Glad to have you on board! If you need ideas to animate, there is a ton here:
Thanks! and Thanks for the suggestions too! I'd like to share some of my own too, since I played everything with K. Rool in (including the little cameos in Donkey Konga XD); hope you guys like. =)

StormC

Smash Hero
(This is my first post here)

King K. Rool is probably the best option for the series. He definitely has popularity and would (hopefully) not mean another clone character for the series. Even if (for some reason) he doesn't get in Smash 4, the fans have had enough support to bring him into Smash 5. As others have said, the King K. Rool love has to keep its momentum throughout the end of the ballot (or if he gets announced early). He would have appeared in the series already if Sakurai thought that he was a high profile character (at least in his opinion). I'm very happy that we have such a strong lead, but I do know that characters like Inkling, Isaac, and Shovel Knight, which I would also love, are battling with K. Rool in the top 5 spots and will possibly take precedence over King K. Rool (depending on how the rest of this ballot goes)

#KrocTheVote
#BringBackKRool

Shovel Knight is a total non-threat. There is NO way a company as ethnocentric as Nintendo is going to add a western indie character that had one game last year and was never released in Japan. His popularity is just a fad pushed by Yacht Games tweeting about him.

Inkling, Isaac, and, strangely, Bandana Dee seem like K. Rool's only serious competition for newcomers. Inkling in particular is going to be a problem if they're already this requested before the game is even out. I mean, otherwise K. Rool is up against a bunch of D-listers.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Shovel Knight is a total non-threat. There is NO way a company as ethnocentric as Nintendo is going to add a western indie character that had one game last year and was never released in Japan. His popularity is just a fad pushed by Yacht Games tweeting about him.

Inkling, Isaac, and, strangely, Bandana Dee seem like K. Rool's only serious competition for newcomers. Inkling in particular is going to be a problem if they're already this requested before the game is even out. I mean, otherwise K. Rool is up against a bunch of D-listers.
Bandana Dee really is a weird one, seeing as he is basically just a regular enemy with a pointy stick and some headwear. Still, he's appeared surprisingly often now, and is a character of his own. The moveset potential is there, too.

Top Bottom