• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I was mainly talking about the most promoted characters. Pokemon is more iffy on that subject, really.
Pokemon Trainer is the most promoted character from the main games.
I know that does not cover the spinoffs, and that he does not really cover the anime trainers, but he is promoted in each new game.
*Easily arguable if 'villager is all inclusive*

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I've been bracing myself for disappointment on the Donkey Kong front, I really can't fathom any reason we haven't seen a trace of K. Rool, Ridley or Mewtwo in the Pics of the Day or the leak. A deconfirmation in the form of a trophy, an Assist Trophy, a boss... anything. One of them would have appeared somewhere, and if any of them ARE unlockable, what are the odds that they would still remain hidden in the leak? The three most hyped characters and the leak doesn't spoil them?

So yeah, I'm starting to believe the theory that they're going to be a DLC package or they're going to be unlocked by connecting the Wii U and 3DS games. It would be Sakurai's way of giving the fans what they want without spoiling the surprise... while putting us through sheer agony in the meantime.
Actually, there's yet another possibility as well. They're all in the game by default, but Sakurai purposely held them back from the builds of the game sent out to NoA just in case a leak happened.

Pokemon Trainer is the most promoted character from the main games.
I know that does not cover the spinoffs, and that he does not really cover the anime trainers, but he is promoted in each new game.
*Easily arguable if 'villager is all inclusive*
Alright I suppose so.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
People seems to forget that Super Smash Bros is all about "Nintendo's All Stars", not "Nintendo's most recent creations".

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
People seems to forget that Super Smash Bros is all about "Nintendo's All Stars", not "Nintendo's most recent creations".
It seems like Sakurai is included.

...I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but it's harder than ever to stay optimistic.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Jesus.. Yeah you keep forgetting about the obvious facts that lead to K.Rool being a newcomer and keep bashing Sakurai.
I would make again a list about facts that clearly make K.Rool a huge newcomer potential, but I'm tired of you ignoring every single point of light just for pessimism's sake.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Jesus.. Yeah you keep forgetting about the obvious facts that lead to K.Rool being a newcomer and keep bashing Sakurai. I would make again a list about facts that clearly make K.Rool a huge newcomer potential, but I'm tired of you ignoring every single point of light just for pessimism's sake.
I'm a realist, not a pessimist. I will be OVERJOYED if K. Rool somehow makes it in as a playable character, but having blind faith isn't going to do me any good. I'm setting myself up for disappointment ahead of time because that's what Sakurai does best. Yeah, he has tons of potential; that's why I've been advocating for his inclusion since Melee. But so do a lot of characters that Sakurai has completely brushed off. The fact that DK isn't even getting a new stage in the 3DS version of the game says everything. You can argue that not all of the stages have been unlocked, but come the **** on. Is that why Jungle Japes has been featured prominently in all of the trailers? This is the kind of reaching I'd expect from the Ridley fanbase. I hope you're right. I really do.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
People keep going on about how they are pessimists or realists or whatever.

Well, I'm an istist, so I'm all those and none of those at the same time, so I say K. Rool is and isn't in the roster. :shades:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm a realist, not a pessimist. I will be OVERJOYED if K. Rool somehow makes it in as a playable character, but having blind faith isn't going to do me any good. I'm setting myself up for disappointment ahead of time because that's what Sakurai does best. Yeah, he has tons of potential; that's why I've been advocating for his inclusion since Melee. But so do a lot of characters that Sakurai has completely brushed off. The fact that DK isn't even getting a new stage in the 3DS version of the game says everything. You can argue that not all of the stages have been unlocked, but come the **** on. Is that why Jungle Japes has been featured prominently in all of the trailers? This is the kind of reaching I'd expect from the Ridley fanbase. I hope you're right. I really do.
Well, one thing is 3ds, and another thing is Wii U, don't you see pretty weird that the U version hasn't got a new DK stage revealed yet? I think is because it is gonna be Gangplank Galleon or The Flying Krok, I bet my ass.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As far as stages go on the 3DS, reasons why we haven't gotten a new DK or Metroid stage is pretty easy to think about. The DK/Metroid stages would be unlockable, and would confirm new playable characters from those franchises. I honestly don't understand the logic of giving two of Nintendo's biggest franchises only veteran stages... while both Mother AND F-Zero get NEW stages, even though they haven't had games in forever. I can easily see at least Metroid and DK getting new stages, they would just hint at certain things so they won't be showed off yet.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The only reservation I have about expecting unlockable DK and Metroid stages is that there are still other series like Yoshi, Wario, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit that haven't gotten stages on the 3DS, period, with Yoshi in particular getting just a Brawl stage. Maybe they really are getting the short end of the stick there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only reservation I have about expecting unlockable DK and Metroid stages is that there are still other series like Yoshi, Wario, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit that haven't gotten stages on the 3DS, period, with Yoshi in particular getting just a Brawl stage. Maybe they really are getting the short end of the stick there.
Wario also has WarioWare from Brawl. Wii Fit and Duck Hunt could potentially be missing out on stages on the 3DS since they are console games. I had a feeling that developing stages for both versions would end up either giving us too few stages or too many returning stages, but I never expected them to not make new Donkey Kong or Metroid stages for the 3DS, especially not with the former.

Is that so? 10 out of 12 newcomers are from recent games with Little Mac and Duck Hunt Dog being the only old characters. This game is very obviously much more focused on marketing Nintendo's current products than Brawl was.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can see Yoshi and Wario not getting new stages due to the franchises' being so small in size. I see that as a legitimate possibility. Metroid and DK, though? Seriously?

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
A. I honestly don't understand the logic of giving two of Nintendo's biggest franchises only veteran stages... while both Mother AND F-Zero get NEW stages, even though they haven't had games in forever. I can easily see at least Metroid and DK getting new stages, they would just hint at certain things so they won't be showed off yet.
Is there a confirmed Mother stage?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I wouldn't believe there was a new DK stage if it wasn't for the fact that two stagnant franchises got new stages. DK is still perfectly alive and well, better than ever really. If two stagnant franchises (yes, I'm pretty sure F-Zero's stage is new as well), veteran franchises with massive popularity should have new stages as well. They are probably holding back the new stages if nothing else than because they make more sense as unlockables. DK tends to start off with a jungle stage, Metroid with an acid stage, they don't need to keep repeating trends all the time.

Or, perhaps, again, these franchises ARE getting new characters and they want to reveal them alongside the characters. :p

Small in size?

WarioWare/Land - 22.6 million
Yoshi's Island - 19.1 million

They're both bigger than Metroid.
Fine. At the very least DK should get a new stage, though. $55 million right there, when the Mother franchise is so miniscule.

EDIT: I was mainly referring to the fact that Yoshi and Wario are constantly lumped in with the Mario franchises. Yoshi more specifically, his franchise has been stagnating recently. Hell, he's even right in the middle of the Mario characters.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Small in size?

WarioWare/Land - 22.6 million
Yoshi's Island - 19.1 million

They're both bigger than Metroid.
The Yoshi and Wario series' are totally in Mario's shadow. I really struggle to classify Yoshi as its own series due to it clearly being a spin off, and including Mario himself in most, if not all of them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Yoshi and Wario series' are totally in Mario's shadow. I really struggle to classify Yoshi as its own series due to it clearly being a spin off, and including Mario himself in most, if not all of them.
This, really. DK has done more than enough to differentiate itself from Mario. Wario and Yoshi are a bit different in that they actually are in Mario's shadow. Wario does differentiate himself quite a bit from Mario in the WarioWare series, though, so its not entirely the same.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I hope some people leak some things for the 3-ds version after it comes out because right now, I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order for it. Or at least, I hope they release some info on the unlockables for it.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I hope some people leak some things for the 3-ds version after it comes out because right now, I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order for it. Or at least, I hope they release some info on the unlockables for it.
My friend, it's Japanese guys we're talking about, those who posted on Youtube videos of the final boss of Pikmin 3 in less than 24 hours from its release date.

Imagine what they'll do with Smash...

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Is that so? 10 out of 12 newcomers are from recent games with Little Mac and Duck Hunt Dog being the only old characters. This game is very obviously much more focused on marketing Nintendo's current products than Brawl was.
Well then, if that turns out to be the case then we could say that Sakurai is "prostituting" the franchise, but I don't think he is that stupid.
And to be honest we already have from previous games most of the most iconic Nintendo's All Stars, so I think it's understandable he is putting in this game some recent rising stars.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario series definitely isn't in Mario's shadow lol.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This, really. DK has done more than enough to differentiate itself from Mario. Wario and Yoshi are a bit different in that they actually are in Mario's shadow. Wario does differentiate himself quite a bit from Mario in the WarioWare series, though, so its not entirely the same.
Yeah that's why I think an argument can be made that Wario is now a separate entity. The main thing that makes me really qualify him as a Mario character as he's still mainly seen that way. His most prominent appearances are in the Mario Sports titles as his own games generally don't generate much interest. Plus you have that Wario is pretty much "bad Mario".

DK and Mario are on equal footing, they were both invented at the same time and have been kept largely apart since their conception apart from spin-offs, and their cross over series. DK even has own party games and his games have spanned numerous different genre. And of course other characters from his series' have even headlined their own games.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Exactly. It feels like they've gone the Playstation All-Stars route and are including characters like Rosalina and Greninja because they serve as glorified advertisements for games that are available for purchase right now. This is the number one reason why I'm worried that K. Rool won't be playable, even though we all know he's the most deserving candidate by far. Instead of tricking ourselves into believing that Sakurai ISN'T a biased prick, we should start petitioning.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Exactly. It feels like they've gone the Playstation All-Stars route and are including characters like Rosalina and Greninja because they serve as glorified advertisements for games that are available for purchase right now. This is the number one reason why I'm worried that K. Rool won't be playable, even though we all know he's the most deserving candidate by far. Instead of tricking ourselves into believing that Sakurai ISN'T a biased prick, we should start petitioning.
To be brutally honest, we could petition all day, and I highly doubt it would accomplish anything. If K. Rool does end up getting shafted, we'll just have to accept it and move on.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
To be brutally honest, we could petition all day, and I highly doubt it would accomplish anything. If K. Rool does end up getting shafted, we'll just have to accept it and move on.
Sadly, that's the truth. Sakurai and Nintendo don't really care if a bunch of fans are mad at them for not adding their most wanted character. They know that a Smash fan will most likely buy a new Smash game anyways, and that's what matters to them, because after all, they're a business company.

And because of that, they can also do the same strategy as PS All-Stars, adding characters to promote other recent games. I mean, why Ike (in Brawl) and not, say, Eirika, Lyn or Lyon? I'm not saying it happens with all the characters though, but it happens. That's why I'm so sure Alph will be Olimar's alt, to promote Pikmin 3. :/

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Love that new title. Well the time is near, what do you guys think about King K. Rool in the DKC cartoon? He always comes out as the reason I watched the show as a kid. That and I love his tiny cape and his office stool acting as his "throne".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sadly, that's the truth. Sakurai and Nintendo don't really care if a bunch of fans are mad at them for not adding their most wanted character. They know that a Smash fan will most likely buy a new Smash game anyways, and that's what matters to them, because after all, they're a business company.

And because of that, they can also do the same strategy as PS All-Stars, adding characters to promote other recent games. I mean, why Ike (in Brawl) and not, say, Eirika, Lyn or Lyon? I'm not saying it happens with all the characters though, but it happens. That's why I'm so sure Alph will be Olimar's alt, to promote Pikmin 3. :/
Ike was picked in Brawl because he WAS the fan favorite pick. Eirika and Lyon have got nothing on Ike. Lyn was fairly close, that's why she ended up as an AT. Ike is by far one of the most beloved main Lords in the entire series. He's also only the second main Lord to be the main Lord in two separate games.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Honestly, I wouldn't believe there was a new DK stage if it wasn't for the fact that two stagnant franchises got new stages. DK is still perfectly alive and well, better than ever really. If two stagnant franchises (yes, I'm pretty sure F-Zero's stage is new as well), veteran franchises with massive popularity should have new stages as well. They are probably holding back the new stages if nothing else than because they make more sense as unlockables. DK tends to start off with a jungle stage, Metroid with an acid stage, they don't need to keep repeating trends all the time.

Or, perhaps, again, these franchises ARE getting new characters and they want to reveal them alongside the characters. :p

Fine. At the very least DK should get a new stage, though. $55 million right there, when the Mother franchise is so miniscule.

EDIT: I was mainly referring to the fact that Yoshi and Wario are constantly lumped in with the Mario franchises. Yoshi more specifically, his franchise has been stagnating recently. Hell, he's even right in the middle of the Mario characters.
I think there's way too much focus being placed on stages in the 3DS version when there's no telling what stages will be included in the WiiU edition. I'm not sure if stages can be used as any indicator for what characters are in or out of the franchise. I do get your gripes about DK and Metroid being larger series, but I'd wait to find out what the other version of the game has to offer.

Plus do we know if we've seen all the 3DS stages are? I forgot what the leak showed, but who's to say there's not multiple pages of stages?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think that's K. Rool's problem. I hate to bring up the relevancy issue, but all newcomers in this installment fall into three categories:

#1 Brand new character and/or franchise that are "hip" and "cool" in modern Nintendo gaming, examples being Robin, Greninja, and WFT.

#2 Similar to #1, only the character is revived from dormancy and currently in the spotlight, examples being Palutena and Little Mac.

#3 Retros from the NES/SNES era because nostalgia, aka Duck Hunt Dog.

K. Rool unfortunately is neither a retro, revived, or new character, he's stuck in-between every category in a limbo. His best chance is popularity and/or moveset potential.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think there's way too much focus being placed on stages in the 3DS version when there's no telling what stages will be included in the WiiU edition. I'm not sure if stages can be used as any indicator for what characters are in or out of the franchise. I do get your gripes about DK and Metroid being larger series, but I'd wait to find out what the other version of the game has to offer.

Plus do we know if we've seen all the 3DS stages are? I forgot what the leak showed, but who's to say there's not multiple pages of stages?
Most likely there's not multiple pages, the stages will just resize like the characters do. My bet would be on a new row of stages. I HIGHLY doubt its the full stage list, though. There's probably about 6 missing or so.

I think that's K. Rool's problem. I hate to bring up the relevancy issue, but all newcomers in this installment fall into three categories:

#1 Brand new character and/or franchise that are "hip" and "cool" in modern Nintendo gaming, examples being Robin, Greninja, and WFT.

#2 Similar to #1, only the character is revived from dormancy and currently in the spotlight, examples being Palutena and Little Mac.

#3 Retros from the NES/SNES era because nostalgia, aka Duck Hunt Dog.

K. Rool unfortunately is neither a retro, revived, or new character, he's stuck in-between every category in a limbo. His best chance is popularity and/or moveset potential.
Punch Out Wii came out in 2009. ONE ****ING YEAR SINCE K. ROOL'S LAST APPEARANCE!

Sorry, I think that kills any arguments against K. Rool. I know you're not trying to be a K. Rool detractor, but honestly, I'm just saying... Little Mac right there. His last game was five years ago. K. Rool, six years ago. Hardly a major deal here, and I mean, its not like K. Rool hasn't appeared at all. DK Land 1-3 popped up on virtual console in Japan as well. Little Mac can hardly be considered "in the spotlight" when his last game came out five years ago...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Watch the final launch trailer be of DHD, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. Hell we'll be lucky if even one of the big 3 is in it. Oh look a villains trailer, "Ganondorf returns to conquer" Bowser Jr. Koops his way into battle!, Wario's back to Crush!, the end credits roll but then go away, what's this? a huge scary dark figure flying in the sky shadowing over the other characters? why it's it's...Dark Pit! SSB Wii U/ 3-DS logo appears. Moments after on Mii-verse, people are saying how it was the best launch trailer ever and are trolling ridley and k. rool fans even more.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Punch Out Wii came out in 2009. ONE ****ING YEAR SINCE K. ROOL'S LAST APPEARANCE!

Sorry, I think that kills any arguments against K. Rool. I know you're not trying to be a K. Rool detractor, but honestly, I'm just saying... Little Mac right there. His last game was five years ago. K. Rool, six years ago. Hardly a major deal here, and I mean, its not like K. Rool hasn't appeared at all. DK Land 1-3 popped up on virtual console in Japan as well. Little Mac can hardly be considered "in the spotlight" when his last game came out five years ago...
That truth is irrefutable, but let's look more closely. Punch Out!! Wii was a main series title (the first in a while I might add). K. Rool? He appeared in a spin-off sports game that the mainstream gaming crowd doesn't even remember. His last game where he was the central villain was a few years before even that, so his last significant role was quite a while ago.

I'm not trying to be a detractor, I've stated my allegiance to the Kutthroat cause multiple times, I'm merely playing the devil's advocate and analyzing K. Rool's position so that I, and others, may easily understand the reason why he wasn't included should that outcome happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom