• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

It's only being proven further and further. Not good, I tell you, not good.:ohwell:
I love it how people keep citing that image, but failing to realize that Dixie, Chorus Men, and Ridley aren't in the main leak at all. Dixie, Chorus Men, and Ridley were in a TOTALLY SEPARATE leak not at all related to the main Ninka leak. It happened to coincide with some of the characters from Ninka, but they could've gotten the info from the same source as well. Jeez...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Dixie was planned to be a tag team with Diddy Kong.

Tropical Freeze is not getting represented in Smash Bros. Sakurai had no idea it was in development. He could've contacted Retro, but clearly he didn't.

Dixie taking substantially less work than K. Rool is actually moreso a hint at getting both of them. All clones / semiclones in this game are only added to franchises that already got a fully original rep as well. Dixie would be the sole exception.

Sorry, none of the arguments stack up. King K. Rool is more important to the DK franchise than Dixie Kong, has more major appearances in the franchise than Dixie Kong, has only taken a hiatus from the franchise ONCE (Dixie has taken a hiatus TWICE), Dixie has not played any major roles in any DK games prior to Tropical Freeze since DKC3 while K. Rool has continued to be the main antagonist of the franchise and in all spinoffs, and King K. Rool isn't just extremely popular... he's the MOST REQUESTED NINTENDO NEWCOMER PERIOD.

Honestly, I think its far more likely to get both K. Rool and Dixie as a semiclone than just Dixie Kong.
When you think about it:

:4mario:=:4dk:
:4luigi:=:4diddy:
:4bowser:= King K. Rool

You got the protagonist, the sidekick, and the Villain all bundled together to represent the series.

The only representation of Tropical Freeze I think we are getting are mainly some Trophies or Assist Trophies, Smash Run enemies as well.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Dose this mean that he's going to be obsolete?:urg: I hope he won't be forgotten because I really want him to be playable in Smash 5 then, since he wasn't included in smash for Wii U/ 3DS.:scared:
:facepalm: It has been said many times that the list of characters is fake, but everything below that is presumably true.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When you think about it:

:4mario:=:4dk:
:4luigi:=:4diddy:
:4bowser:= King K. Rool

You got the protagonist, the sidekick, and the Villain all bundled together to represent the series.

The only representation of Tropical Freeze I think we are getting are mainly some Trophies or Assist Trophies, Smash Run enemies as well.
Trophies, but that's about it. We'd have probably seen Smash Run enemies along time ago, and there aren't any viable AT's from Tropical Freeze which haven't already appeared in past DK games (Dixie Kong if she's not playable, and Rambi).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Trophies, but that's about it. We'd have probably seen Smash Run enemies along time ago, and there aren't any viable AT's from Tropical Freeze which haven't already appeared in past DK games (Dixie Kong if she's not playable, and Rambi).
The Tikis from Returns are in Smash Run, but I have not seen high or low of any Donkey Kong Country Assist Trophies. There is only the rumor of the Chunky Kong Assist Trophy running about.

Rambi would be a perfect choice for an Assist Trophy.

Edit: I meant the Tikis are from Returns not Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
The Tikis from Tropical Freeze are in Smash Run, but I have not seen high or low of any Donkey Kong Country Assist Trophies. There is only the rumor of the Chunky Kong Assist Trophy running about.

That got me thinking, what if the other animal buddies could be assists? I would even love to see the very obscure ones from Jungle Beat since I adore that game.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
The Tikis from Tropical Freeze are in Smash Run, but I have not seen high or low of any Donkey Kong Country Assist Trophies. There is only the rumor of the Chunky Kong Assist Trophy running about.

The tikis are not from Tropical Freeze. They are from Returns, in which tikis were the main villains.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Smash 4 not having any Tropical Freeze rep doesn't change the fact that Dixie is relevant and K Rool is not.

Again. I would love for K Rool to be in. But were NOT getting 2 new DK reps and Dixie is way more likely then K Rool. Agreeed that K Rool is possibly the most requested(Not 100% sure if he's over ridley) But he was also highly requested back in brawl as well. Sakurai overlooked him then when dixie and K rool were in the same ball park. Dixie has new found relevance now while K Rool is still hanging on from memories of older gamers.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Agreeed that K Rool is possibly the most requested(Not 100% sure if he's over ridley) But he was also highly requested back in brawl as well. Sakurai overlooked him then when dixie and K rool were in the same ball park.
K. Rool is in the top 3 in Japan, Europe(?) and USA, above Ridley. Also, K. Rool didn't get super popular until AFTER Brawl.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That got me thinking, what if the other animal buddies could be assists? I would even love to see the very obscure ones from Jungle Beat since I adore that game.
If we got Animal Buddy Assists, I'd think Rambi, Squitter, and Squawks are the most likely. As much as I'd love Enguarde, he'd be a fish out of water. :p

I'd rather we just got an Animal Crate, though. It could even include non-DK animal friends such as Poochy, Ricky, or Tricky. Although its highly unlikely.

Smash 4 not having any Tropical Freeze rep doesn't change the fact that Dixie is relevant and K Rool is not.

Again. I would love for K Rool to be in. But were NOT getting 2 new DK reps and Dixie is way more likely then K Rool. Agreeed that K Rool is possibly the most requested(Not 100% sure if he's over ridley) But he was also highly requested back in brawl as well. Sakurai overlooked him then when dixie and K rool were in the same ball park. Dixie has new found relevance now while K Rool is still hanging on from memories of older gamers.
The thing you're completely missing is that Sakurai likely had ABSOLUTELY NO ****ING IDEA TROPICAL FREEZE WAS IN DEVELOPMENT! Which means he'd have NO idea that Dixie Kong was coming back. If Dixie is back, its on her own merits, not because she's "relevant."

And as BKupa said, relevance means jack ****. Besides, the argument is recency, not relevance. K. Rool is more than relevant, he's just not appeared recently.

As far as popularity goes, based on what I have read... K. Rool is the #3 most wanted character overall, and the #1 most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Ridley has been wanted longer (we had to wait until we got Diddy Kong before other DK reps were viable), but Ridley is only #5 most wanted in the west, he's not even in Japan's top five (K. Rool is #3 in both).

Woah, what's with all the guests?
Its crunch time, so all the detractors are going to come in and bash us for believing K. Rool is in when he has no chance of being playable, just like they're doing for Ridley.

K. Rool is in the top 3 in Japan, Europe(?) and USA, above Ridley. Also, K. Rool didn't get super popular until AFTER Brawl.
This, basically. We needed Diddy Kong before K. Rool was a viable candidate. After Diddy Kong, K. Rool was by far the #1 most wanted and requested DK newcomer.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I wonder if something K. Rool related was leak...I mean was announced. Yes OFFICIALLY announced :troll:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

>Is the main villain of the series.
>Is somehow not relevant to said series?

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman But what caused this "crunch time"?

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Who is number 3? Mewtwo isn't a newcomer so im curious.
K. Rool is #3 while Mewtwo is #1 and Mega Man is #2. Popularity poll wise throughout the world regardless if he isn't a newcomer.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The thing you're completely missing is that Sakurai likely had ABSOLUTELY NO ****ING IDEA TROPICAL FREEZE WAS IN DEVELOPMENT! Which means he'd have NO idea that Dixie Kong was coming back. If Dixie is back, its on her own merits, not because she's "relevant."
Mmm, considering Tropical Freeze was in development at the same time as Mario Kart 7, I think Sakurai at least had some idea about it and Dixie/Cranky's roles within it (or maybe not, considering how minimally he's focused on DK thus far).

The underlying point is that, whatever faults he may have, the developer who stresses that "character decisions are stressful to the brink of death" does not choose newcomers by saying "Okay, you're in a new game? You're a SHOO-IN!" and "You're not in a new game? NO CHANCE!"

For f**k's sake, we're getting the Duck Hunt Dog, and people are still trying to claim Sakurai listens to their very own personal, ambiguous, inaccurate definitions of "relevance?"

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mmm, considering Tropical Freeze was in development at the same time as Mario Kart 7, I think Sakurai at least had some idea about it and Dixie/Cranky's roles within it (or maybe not, considering how minimally he's focused on DK thus far).

The underlying point is that, whatever faults he may have, the developer who stresses that "character decisions are stressful to the brink of death" does not choose newcomers by saying "Okay, you're in a new game? You're a SHOO-IN!" and "You're not in a new game? NO CHANCE!"

For f**k's sake, we're getting the Duck Hunt Dog, and people are still trying to claim Sakurai listens to their very own personal, ambiguous, inaccurate definition of "relevance?"
I know. Duck Hunt Dog ANNIHILATES the "relevance" argument. People will still bring it up, though.

As far as Tropical Freeze is concerned, I'm just saying that, as far as we are aware, Sakurai had no knowledge of the game at the start of development. He could have become aware of it, but he didn't bother. Of course, DK doesn't need a "new game" to justify adding K. Rool and Dixie Kong. DK's massive popularity and 6m sales figures of Returns would be more than enough, so honestly, I'm not bothered that Sakurai likely didn't contact Retro about TF. TF doesn't matter at all in the grand scope of things.

Basically I'm saying is that I was joking about a leak. The guests have died down in number now though...
I still see 44.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Ine
I know. Duck Hunt Dog ANNIHILATES the "relevance" argument. People will still bring it up, though.

As far as Tropical Freeze is concerned, I'm just saying that, as far as we are aware, Sakurai had no knowledge of the game at the start of development. He could have become aware of it, but he didn't bother. Of course, DK doesn't need a "new game" to justify adding K. Rool and Dixie Kong. DK's massive popularity and 6m sales figures of Returns would be more than enough, so honestly, I'm not bothered that Sakurai likely didn't contact Retro about TF. TF doesn't matter at all in the grand scope of things.

I still see 44.
I edited my post to slightly died down since I at one point saw 66. I only see 37 now

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

For f**k's sake, we're getting the Duck Hunt Dog, and people are still trying to claim Sakurai listens to their very own personal, ambiguous, inaccurate definitions of "relevance?"
Sakurai does not mainly draw his choices for characters from the Latest Games in the Franchises. He takes more time to make calculated decisions and gets down to the gritty philosophy of who would be the best character to have playable.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
>Is the main villain of the series.
>Is somehow not relevant to said series?

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman But what caused this "crunch time"?
He was the main villian of the dkc series. The brand has clearly moved on from that. And where are people getting Sakurai knew nothing about TF? He may not of known about the contents. But to think sakurai had no idea a DK Wii U game was in the works is mindboggling to me. Espcially consdering the huge delay TF went through.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
He was the main villian of the dkc series. The brand has clearly moved on from that.

Donkey Kong Country. Not Donkey Kong Adventure or Donker Kong Quest or Donkey Kong Wii U. Donkey Kong Country. Series still ongoing. K. Rool is still the villain that started it all. Referenced in both games. Still relevant.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He was the main villian of the dkc series. The brand has clearly moved on from that. And where are people getting Sakurai knew nothing about TF? He may not of known about the contents. But to think sakurai had no idea a DK Wii U game was in the works is mindboggling to me. Espcially consdering the huge delay TF went through.
Just like the Kremlings were the main enemies of the DK series, but clearly the brand has moved on from---

Oh, wait...

I beg to differ.
Not sure what point you're trying to come across with here?

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this. How about King Kut Out as an Assist? He would appear in the background or other parts of the stage and fire lasers at your opponents like in the boss fight. Just an idea I had in my head today.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, the Duck Hunt Dog is another example of a "retro" character (which is an arbitrary classification anyway), so people will argue that he was added because he was old, and that it doesn't affect the "relevance" argument.

But I think BKupa666 summed it up best:

I just can't imagine Sakurai not giving K. Rool a chance just because he hasn't been in the most recent games, despite adding characters from not-so-recent games all the time.

I guess Ganondorf isn't the main villain of Zelda anymore. They've clearly moved on from that after killing him twice.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Meh i dont know why im aruging. As i said i would love for K Rool to be in as i think this series is in dire need of more villans. But just thinking logically i dont see him getting in. Not only does he have to get through dixie for the dk rep he also has to get through ridley for the villian rep. Just imo if Sakurai had any intention on adding K Rool he would of done it in brawl.

But hey we got less then a week to find out so i'll bow out this conversation gracefully! Good luck to the K Rool supporters!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this. How about King Kut Out as an Assist? He would appear in the background or other parts of the stage and fire lasers at your opponents like in the boss fight. Just an idea I had in my head today.
Sakurai: "The very first DK Assist Trophy, King K. Rool! Look at his majestic cardboard... oh, wait, its King Kut Out!"

I could see Sakurai trolling with that. If Sakurai did that, I'd be saying "King K. Rool confirmed!" :p

I guess Ganondorf isn't the main villain of Zelda anymore. They've clearly moved on from that after killing him twice.
Thank you. I forgot about that one. ****, prior to Hyrule Warriors and Link Between Worlds Ganondorf and Ganon both were absent for about 10 years.

Meh i dont know why im aruging. As i said i would love for K Rool to be in as i think this series is in dire need of more villans. But just thinking logically i dont see him getting in. Not only does he have to get through dixie for the dk rep he also has to get through ridley for the villian rep. Just imo if Sakurai had any intention on adding K Rool he would of done it in brawl.

But hey we got less then a week to find out so i'll bow out this conversation gracefully! Good luck to the K Rool supporters!
We can't have two villain reps? :p

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

"Villain rep"? Lol. Even if that were a thing, Ridley would be no obstacle since he's not going to be playable.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Doesn't the Ganon thing actually hurt your reasoning? Ganondorf was already added before the hiatus. And obviously Sakurai doesn't see Ganondorf as someone who should be a unique character despite the fans clamoring for a redesign for years. Ganon had 3 chances to not be a clone and he's still a clone.

Yet he's gonna add someone who hasn't seen the light of day on over 12 years?(DHD is a different subject. He clearly repersents the "retro" reps with ic's game and watch Rob and Little Mac)

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Sakurai: "The very first DK Assist Trophy, King K. Rool! Look at his majestic cardboard... oh, wait, its King Kut Out!"

I could see Sakurai trolling with that. If Sakurai did that, I'd be saying "King K. Rool confirmed!" :p

Thank you. I forgot about that one. ****, prior to Hyrule Warriors and Link Between Worlds Ganondorf and Ganon both were absent for about 10 years.

We can't have two villain reps? :p
Also at the Time of Melee Ganondorf was a one-off form of Ganon the main villain of the series, added merely due to his popularity, and having a similar build to Captain Falcon, not because he was the main villain at the time, it was still several years prior to Wind Waker as well.

Fact is at the time Ganondorf had less qualification than K.rool has even now, and only got in due to fitting the clone template, now by the time of brawl he was totally justified as a unique character due to being the villain of 3 LoZ games. Now mind you Ganondorf being a form of Ganon technically gives him more justification, appearance and significance wise K.Rool is more relevant and prestigious than Ganondorf himself, heck prior to Hyrule Warriors K.Rool had a more recent showing

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Doesn't the Ganon thing actually hurt your reasoning? Ganondorf was already added before the hiatus. And obviously Sakurai doesn't see Ganondorf as someone who should be a unique character despite the fans clamoring for a redesign for years. Ganon had 3 chances to not be a clone and he's still a clone.

Yet he's gonna add someone who hasn't seen the light of day on over 12 years?(DHD is a different subject. He clearly repersents the "retro" reps with ic's game and watch Rob and Little Mac)
You mean 6 years. K. Rool would be a perfect "Rare era" rep.

Top Bottom