• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Oh, when's the last week? I don't have a Wii U yet. I think a DK trailer is possible for a launch trailer, and if we did get one, there'd be no doubt in my mind Nintendo would cash in on it and announce Donkey Kong Land 1-3 for the west and perhaps even DKC1-3 GBA (they probably don't have the license to use Rare's name in the originals) for Virtual Console, which is also why they're waiting so late for the DK sale. They need more DK games before they can have a sale.
Just to clarify, Rare has said that it's all up to Nintendo whether or not they want to re-release the old DKC games and even games like DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie! I read it once in an interview that was written up years ago. It's all in the hands of Nintendo with what they want to do with any past game released on one of their past consoles.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just to clarify, Rare has said that it's all up to Nintendo whether or not they want to re-release the old DKC games and even games like DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie! I read it once in an interview that was written up years ago. It's all in the hands of Nintendo with what they want to do with any past game released on one of their past consoles.
I heard they couldn't keep DKC1-3 because they might need to give Microsoft licensing fees, and my thought is that it was due to Rare's name being in the games. Hmm...

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I heard they couldn't keep DKC1-3 because they might need to give Microsoft licensing fees, and my thought is that it was due to Rare's name being in the games. Hmm...
When you think about it, Nintendo owns every little last thing relating to Donkey Kong. Rare happened to be the developers Nintendo hired to make some of the games. Just because Rare made the game for Nintendo, doesn't mean that they'd have to pay a licensing fee due to Rare being properly credited. I just don't think this licensing crap adds all up.

(And yes, I'm fully aware of the DKC trilogy being taken off the Virtual Console, but that was just so Nintendo could basically say to Microsoft, "Hey, we're still allowed to do anything we want with any of the DK games made by Rare, deal with it." and probably because they might only want them on the Wii U's VC)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When you think about it, Nintendo owns every little last thing relating to Donkey Kong. Rare happened to be the developers Nintendo hired to make some of the games. Just because Rare made the game for Nintendo, doesn't mean that they'd have to pay a licensing fee due to Rare being properly credited. I just don't think this licensing crap adds all up.

(And yes, I'm fully aware of the DKC trilogy being taken off the Virtual Console, but that was just so Nintendo could basically say to Microsoft, "Hey, we're still allowed to do anything we want with any of the DK games made by Rare, deal with it." and probably because they might only want them on the Wii U's VC)
Its possible they're waiting to re-release them after K. Rool and Dixie Kong are announced! :D

Anyway, again, it was just a rumor. I know Nintendo owns everything related to DK, the only thing that I thought might cause them to have to pay fees is due to Rare logos in the game.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Its possible they're waiting to re-release them after K. Rool and Dixie Kong are announced! :D

Anyway, again, it was just a rumor. I know Nintendo owns everything related to DK, the only thing that I thought might cause them to have to pay fees is due to Rare logos in the game.
That would be very fitting :). But also, like I said in the previous post, those Rare logos are just giving credit where credit is due. I don't think any fees are necessary.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just to play Devil's Advocate, if the clones are going to end up with their respective series, then why are they put together in a group like that to begin with? And what if Lucina was just grouped with the other Fire Emblem characters in that magazine due to no other clones being revealed yet, thus forcing them to group her with her series to keep her from just being all alone?
Dr. Mario is not grouped with Mario for a while with the Mario series initially in Melee. Pikachu starts out next to Mario, and doesn't move down until either you unlock Pichu or Mewtwo.

On top of that, Brawl's entire roster is a mess from the get-go in terms of organization, and gradually all the series have historically had their characters next to one another in each Smash title.

Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario will 100% be moved when a certain character is unlocked. I hope it's Ridley, just to say "he's so big he made the roster a row wider!!!" :rotfl:
Trust me, you are not the only one here worried for that.
Remember when Fire Emblem fans said this before Ike was revealed and they got that WiiU Fire Emblem stage=???

How do they act now=??? :laugh:

If we get Dixie, K. Rool, Gangplank Galleon, and a DKC Returns stage, we're set for basically the next 3 Smash titles!!! :laugh:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dr. Mario is not grouped with Mario for a while with the Mario series initially in Melee. Pikachu starts out next to Mario, and doesn't move down until either you unlock Pichu or Mewtwo.

On top of that, Brawl's entire roster is a mess from the get-go in terms of organization, and gradually all the series have historically had their characters next to one another in each Smash title.

Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario will 100% be moved when a certain character is unlocked. I hope it's Ridley, just to say "he's so big he made the roster a row wider!!!" :rotfl:

Remember when Fire Emblem fans said this before Ike was revealed and they got that WiiU Fire Emblem stage=???

If we get Dixie, K. Rool, Gangplank Galleon, and a DKC Returns stage, we're set for basically the next 3 Smash titles!!! :laugh:
All I want is Dixie and K. Rool in Smash Bros. and I'll be fully 100% content with the DK representation. Hell, if K. Rool and Dixie are both in and mostly originally, DK is already getting more than most franchises, as they get four completely original characters. Although I highly doubt Dixie will be 100% original, if she's playable she'll probably basically be the DK franchise's Wolf.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All I want is Dixie and K. Rool in Smash Bros. and I'll be fully 100% content with the DK representation. Hell, if K. Rool and Dixie are both in and mostly originally, DK is already getting more than most franchises, as they get four completely original characters. Although I highly doubt Dixie will be 100% original, if she's playable she'll probably basically be the DK franchise's Wolf.
Eh, I REALLY WANT THAT ANIMAL CRATE.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Shulk is the most out of place character on the board- the characters are in no clear order- which, they need not be, but Pokemon being in the middle of the board is what is jarring to me. I am aware saying my aesthetic versus Sakurai's is not an argument most can comply to, so I do not argue it, but it certainly is enough to sway me, since it has been accurate... all the other times, so far.
They're listed by year, and then guests.

Shulk's franchise is the newest (2010), thus him being on the bottom makes sense.

Pokémon first came out in 1996, thus they would appear in the middle.

The franchises with a single playable character are in random spots as well, although I find it weird Ness is so low seeing as how his franchise is from the 80's.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. Dr. Mario is positioned to the left of Mario when he is unlocked; in other words, with the rest of the Mario series. Pikachu does actually start out in the middle of the Mario characters for some reason, though it's not the unlock of Pichu or Mewtwo that moves him. That would be Luigi, who takes Pikachu's place next to Mario when he's unlocked.

Brawl's roster was definitely a mess until all the characters were unlocked. However, it's somewhat different here. The characters seem to be in reasonable positions for the most part, with the exception of the clone characters who are grouped together in a corner. However, this seems less like part of a process of rearranging characters as they're unlocked and more like deliberate positioning. If the clones were supposed to end up with their respective series once all the characters are unlocked, I doubt they would be grouped together like that to begin with.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
This leak still has me down, to be honest. But my outlook is improving.

But why do I suddenly feel like the best may be yet to come?

Masahiro Sakurai lives up to his, well, "nickname": a man of surprises. ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. Dr. Mario is positioned to the left of Mario when he is unlocked; in other words, with the rest of the Mario series. Pikachu does actually start out in the middle of the Mario characters for some reason, though it's not the unlock of Pichu or Mewtwo that moves him. That would be Luigi, who takes Pikachu's place next to Mario when he's unlocked.
Yeah, I meant Luigi!!! :laugh:
Brawl's roster was definitely a mess until all the characters were unlocked. However, it's somewhat different here. The characters seem to be in reasonable positions for the most part, with the exception of the clone characters who are grouped together in a corner. However, this seems less like part of a process of rearranging characters as they're unlocked and more like deliberate positioning. If the clones were supposed to end up with their respective series once all the characters are unlocked, I doubt they would be grouped together like that to begin with.
This is why I think the roster is mostly like Melee's.

It currently has added 1 row horizontally (going from 5 to to 6) and added 1 row horizontally (from 8 to 9), which is why I am inferring it will be 10 horizontally.

Also, if it's exactly like Melee, it will have that extra row, and have two "missing" slots on the bottom row, which would actually make the roster 60 characters large!!! :laugh:

(Okay I'm not that crazy, but I'm not un-crazy enough to say "no".)

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
source please

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've always had hope.
Down to early on when I wanted to make a thread called 'obvious choices,' about how none of the clear cut choices for this game were yet revealed- and still have not been.

Yet there were comments about Palutena and Little Mac being "obvious," and I just flat out disagreed that they were not on the same level as the Mewtwo, K Rool, and Ridley. That we have a clear marketing reason for ignoring the most highly wanted characters (sans third party) this entire time.

I don't know. To me, it seems we have no historical Nintendo heavyweights. That is, Nintendo all-stars of intense merit who were clear 'shoe-ins' for this game. Main franchise necessities, I suppose. Ganondorf, Zelda, Mewtwo, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Metaknight, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer.

Just in comparison, I would put the lesser extent characters who are necessary but not critical in that exact way: Ike, Lucario, Falco, Wolf, Palutena, Robin. Probably a few more here.

Ah well. Time will reveal.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Was this really an argument? Because Ganondorf is basically a god, and he was a disaster in Brawl.
Well, to be fair, it came up maybe once or twice out of the entire fanbase, what with her basically being etched into the fanbase's collective mind as an "OMG SHOO-IN" because "OMG SAKURAI MADE UPRISING, IT'S HIS GAME, IT'S SO GOOD, AND HE THOUGHT ABOUT SMASH WHILE DEVELOPING IT," and, later, Gematsu 2.0. I just threw it in there for the sake of rounding out the most ******** arguments against popular characters (the guy in your avatar also being hit with "too irrelevant" like Rool).

The only other real argument against her was "Sakurai is too modest to add in an Uprising Rep." Hoo boy, did that backfire...

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm new to the site but been browsing this thread in particular for MONTHS. As I really want K.Rool in Smash as he is my favorite Nintendo villian, and DKC is my favorite Nintendo franchise. I've finally had the courage (and time) to join. I really enjoy reading this thread and seeing what other K.Rool fans are saying. I'd love for both him and Dixie to both be in Smash and for him to return as the villians of the DKC series. But one thing I wanted to point out that hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) is that if you read both Kritter trophy descriptions in Brawl both trophies make it clear that Kritters are followers of K.Rool. They mention K.Rool directly it even talks about how the blue Kritters jump out at DK and in Smash Run that's exactly what the blue Kritters do. Even with the recent 3DS leak I still have hope K.Rool will be in the game as more than just a trophy this time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only other real argument against her was "Sakurai is too modest to add in an Uprising Rep." Hoo boy, did that backfire...
Sakurai is so modest, he refuses to say the SSE was a failure. He blamed it not being brought back for Smash 4 because of "the amount of cut scenes." :facepalm:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I'm new to the site but been browsing this thread in particular for MONTHS. As I really want K.Rool in Smash as he is my favorite Nintendo villian, and DKC is my favorite Nintendo franchise. I've finally had the courage (and time) to join. I really enjoy reading this thread and seeing what other K.Rool fans are saying. I'd love for both him and Dixie to both be in Smash and for him to return as the villians of the DKC series. But one thing I wanted to point out that hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) is that if you read both Kritter trophy descriptions in Brawl both trophies make it clear that Kritters are followers of K.Rool. They mention K.Rool directly it even talks about how the blue Kritters jump out at DK and in Smash Run that's exactly what the blue Kritters do. Even with the recent 3DS leak I still have hope K.Rool will be in the game as more than just a trophy this time.
And before most of our mates who has abandon ship make no return for this newcomer, I'd be the one to welcome thee, my fellow brethren. In proper salutations!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

The Kremling Krew from DKC2 supports the King! Kaptain! Pilot! Scientist....The fat guy who leads them!

I just picked this from an old DKC2 manga and colored the images.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Personally if anyone abandons this thread shame on them. If K.Rool isn't in the initial roster than this thread should be made into a K.Rool for DLC thread, even if he's a boss or AT.

I don't plan on leaving even if I don't see that crocodile smile on the CSS come Sm4sh Wii U. Like I said if Big K isn't in the game at all come launch then it's a pro towards him being DLC. Reasons why K.Rool could be held off for DLC:

His character design/moveset was taking to much time so they saved him for DLC, which would give them more time to develop him.

To promote a future game (Diddy King Racing 2/ DKCR3)

Being a highly requested character perhaps Nintendo wants to release him in a pack with other fighters. Perhaps they feel it will make the DLC more desirable to have such a popular requested newcomer included with clones or even returning vets that were cut

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Personally if anyone abandons this thread shame on them. If K.Rool isn't in the initial roster than this thread should be made into a K.Rool for DLC thread, even if he's a boss or AT.

I don't plan on leaving even if I don't see that crocodile smile on the CSS come Sm4sh Wii U. Like I said if Big K isn't in the game at all come launch then it's a pro towards him being DLC. Reasons why K.Rool could be held off for DLC:

His character design/moveset was taking to much time so they saved him for DLC, which would give them more time to develop him.

To promote a future game (Diddy King Racing 2/ DKCR3)

Being a highly requested character perhaps Nintendo wants to release him in a pack with other fighters. Perhaps they feel it will make the DLC more desirable to have such a popular requested newcomer included with clones or even returning vets that were cut
I don't know, I just don't know

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If K. Rool or any character is a boss or AT that doesn't have a clone, it's all over.

Although let me reiterate: If it's KING K. Rool who is that, it's over.

If not, WE STILL GOT A SHOT!!!

Still this new King Dedede Final Smash (where it combines Masked Dedede and the Poppy Bros as an attack) has me worried this roster is the roster of "Super Sakurai Bros. Uprising roster" (with the more and more likely Bandanna Dee), and not "the best Smash game roster possible for Smash 4".

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

Not to be a stickler John but I can guarantee that Smash 4 has a fluid roster like Brawl did compared to Melee's static roster. The proof is in the E3 build of smash 3DS. It matches the fluid architecture Brawl's roster had in the E for all build alongside the starting roster of that game. In fact the only way for the alignment to make any sense for the e3 build is for it to be fluid. You may want to jump to the conclusion that the e3 build has no credibility as it is only a demo build however the fact that it perfectly matches up to the current leak in character placement in the same way the e for all build did for Brawl's roster can't be sheer coincidence.

The thing that made Brawl's roster a jumbled mess compared to Smash 4's cleaner look is due to the alignment of columns versus rows. Both games have fluid architecture that moves characters to the right when an unlockable is added so for Brawl's columns, it was distorting for a column organized roster that moved by rows. Smash 4 doesn't have that so it isn't a issue. I'd be willing to wager that the three clones will never be a part of their franchise in organization.

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Man not even a new track from DK is announced yet. What's going on? I mean KI, a much smaller franchise, get's treated in SSB4 like it's one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo. Pit is even on both covers and DK only on one. DK has nothing yet, not even a freaking AT. It's really seems like Sakurai is not a fan of the DK-Series........:sadeyes:

lelelelelel

Smash Apprentice
Man not even a new track from DK is announced yet. What's going on? I mean KI, a much smaller franchise, get's treated in SSB4 like it's one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo. Pit is even on both covers and DK only on one. DK has nothing yet, not even a freaking AT. It's really seems like Sakurai is not a fan of the DK-Series........:sadeyes:
He was too busy thinking about the new final smash for kirby, dedede, meta knight and pit, but atleast we have gear getaway!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not to be a stickler John but I can guarantee that Smash 4 has a fluid roster like Brawl did compared to Melee's static roster. The proof is in the E3 build of smash 3DS. It matches the fluid architecture Brawl's roster had in the E for all build alongside the starting roster of that game. In fact the only way for the alignment to make any sense for the e3 build is for it to be fluid. You may want to jump to the conclusion that the e3 build has no credibility as it is only a demo build however the fact that it perfectly matches up to the current leak in character placement in the same way the e for all build did for Brawl's roster can't be sheer coincidence.

The thing that made Brawl's roster a jumbled mess compared to Smash 4's cleaner look is due to the alignment of columns versus rows. Both games have fluid architecture that moves characters to the right when an unlockable is added so for Brawl's columns, it was distorting for a column organized roster that moved by rows. Smash 4 doesn't have that so it isn't a issue. I'd be willing to wager that the three clones will never be a part of their franchise in organization.
Famitsu has the full announced character roster... with all the characters listed in the EXACT same order they are in the game. Except for Lucina, she's shown right next to the Fire Emblem characters. I think this proves that the clones will move after a certain point.

As for the layout being fluid, doesn't really mean anything. For all we know the unlockable characters shift around left and right. We haven't seen anything about that yet.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I just hope at least one of the big 3 is in the game before dlc, that way I won't have to be bored for months having to wait for the other 2. Otherwise, I'll just have to take out my frustrations on a "Mashedpotato Suckarai" mii created by your's truly.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Just one week left for "Super Smash Sakurais Uprising Dream Land", come on guys, we're right there! ^^

Top Bottom