• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was thinking, in the scenario K. Rool becomes an unlockable, he's either unlocked similarly to Ganondorf in Melee, in an event match featuring DK and Diddy against him, or by clearing Classic as one of the Kongs.

Gangplank Galleon as a stage can really be interpreted any number of ways. I envision it as a larger stage, but others see it as more of a Rainbow Cruise, with it eventually shattering against some rocks and its remnants drifting along to various islands.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I was thinking, in the scenario K. Rool becomes an unlockable, he's either unlocked similarly to Ganondorf in Melee, in an event match featuring DK and Diddy against him, or by clearing Classic as one of the Kongs.

Gangplank Galleon as a stage can really be interpreted any number of ways. I envision it as a larger stage, but others see it as more of a Rainbow Cruise, with it eventually shattering against some rocks and its remnants drifting along to various islands.
I would rather not have the stage move like rainbow cruise. I personally do not like moving stages and also the ship does not even move when you fight K.Rool in the DKC game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree this would be a poor approach to take for the stage, but when you look at the plethora of poor approaches taken in Brawl, it's not much of a stretch.

One thing I think is safe to say is that Gangplank Galleon would be larger than the oh-so-creatively-named "Pirate Ship."

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
King K.Rool

Pros: Probably the Most requested Newcomer for Smash......

Cons:.....in America

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Although by how much varies between regions, K. Rool is still an overall highly requested character. K. Rool is even requested somewhat in Japan too, which is kind of surprising considering the Donkey Kong Country games didn't sell like crazy over there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They were just mad that white men could make games just as good (Better) than them

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Chronobound made multiple posts about Japanese sites, one of which claimed K. Rool was the newcomer everyone seemed to be okay with, while another said that, while Dixie was more popular on the site he examined, usually K. Rool was the more popular request. Because multiple individuals who have examined Japanese sites said Mewtwo and Roy are the most popular requests as veterans, K. Rool could still very well be the region's most popular newcomer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Japan doesn't seem to realize that King K. Rool has alter egos. They treat Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein like they're King K. Rool's brothers or something. And the ironic part is, on the Donkey Kong 64 instruction booklet, Cranky Kong clearly stated that King K. Rool gave up his "silly" disguises.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Cranky Kong commenting about K. Rool losing the disguises was probably not translated into Japanese or simply overlooked. After all, hardly anyone reads the instruction manual to begin with.

The irony in ether case is that K. Rool does have an alternate identity as a boxer in Donkey Kong 64 named "King Krusha K. Rool".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cranky Kong commenting about K. Rool losing the disguises was probably not translated into Japanese or simply overlooked. After all, hardly anyone reads the instruction manual to begin with.

The irony in ether case is that K. Rool does have an alternate identity as a boxer in Donkey Kong 64 named "King Krusha K. Rool".
King Krusha K. Rool is hardly a drastic identity difference when compared to K. Rool's past alter-egos though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a fair deal of influence on K. Rool from DK64. Diddy sure received a fair deal of content from that game.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
^^ Well, that's probably because Diddy Kong didn't really have enough moves from the original DKC trilogy. If it wasn't for DK64, he wouldn't have a projectile (the peanut pop guns) and a recovery (the barrel jet pack). That's probably why Sakurai originally planned to give him Dixie Kong for more moves like throwing Dixie around or flying with Dixie. That's why I am personally hoping that Dixie would get Kiddy Kong as a tag team partner in SSB4. ;)

Anyway, King K. Rool has a lot of stuff to work with besides DK64. The boxing stuff from DK64 could be the basis for his regular A moves. I think it should work out well for him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Does anyone think, with all of K. Rool's moveset potential, Sakurai will resort to making up original moves for him? One wouldn't think this would be the case, but I could see K. Rool inheriting Bowser's Koopa Klaw from Melee, for example, or performing some all-new attack, simply because it is deemed 'fitting' for him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The standard attacks are probably going to be unique to Super Smash Bros, while the special attacks are going to be inspired by K. Rool in varies games. Those claws and gnarly teeth do give out leeway for standard attacks anyway.

D

Deleted member

I would hope that K. Rool is more "punchy" than "claw-y", given DK64...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Sakurai may "create" a few of the standard attacks, like he has done for nearly every character in smash bros. thus far.
I think it would be awesome if there were multiple "battles" with K. Rool.
-Event Matches: Fight as Dixie Kong, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong against the ultimate K. Rool challenge. First fight the original "King," then fight the "Kaptain," then the "Baron," and finally the new and improved "King" again.
-Classic/Melee-esk Adventure Mode Mode: A "giant Donkey Kong"-esk boss battle with K. Rool, where you, with either Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, or Dixie Kong (to unlock him, you must have beaten say 1/3rd of those Kongs their previous classic mode, and must be on another Kong's classic mode playthrough), battle the King of the Kremlings! Then, after beating that classic mode, you get a "warning: challenger approaching" and fight him on Gangplank Galleon.
-Subspace Emissary-esk Adventure Mode/Boss Battle: Fights like he does in the DKC games. He is temporary invincible, and has few "openings" for getting damaged, like the regular bosses. Also, his power is strengthens throughout the boss battle. After you beat a "segment" of the boss battle, K. Rool runs away from say one ship to another, while many of his Kremling minions appear.
I imagine it as one ship with different parts to it; opening doors on both sides, perhaps some barrels rolling onto the stage, or banana peels being thrown onto the stage by Kremlings in the background! :laugh:
I'd like a DKC2 King K. Rool level. He's gotta be an unlockable character fought on said stage, with this playing.
Yes, yes, and YES!!!!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I hope K.Rool gets his tail. He looks like an obese frog with jagged teeth when he doesn't have it.

Does anyone think, with all of K. Rool's moveset potential, Sakurai will resort to making up original moves for him? One wouldn't think this would be the case, but I could see K. Rool inheriting Bowser's Koopa Klaw from Melee, for example, or performing some all-new attack, simply because it is deemed 'fitting' for him.
I think Sakurai would have to be pressed for time to choose this route.

EDIT: I love K.Rool and want him playable, but I refuse to join the KKK.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I'm worried about this too. In most cases people, like myself, see King K. Rool using abilities from his previous "alter egos." Since Sakurai believes them to be brothers instead of the same person, he might make his abilities based on being a giant reptile. However even if they are in fact "brothers," it shouldn't be ridiculous that King K. Rool would borrow moves from them.

I don't understand why he doesn't have a tail either. Sadly his most of his artwork features him without one. He probably won't have one in Smash.

Edit: KKK? Lol.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes! King K. Rool needs to have a tail. He did have it in the SNES/N64 games, right? I am pretty sure he did. I also support that suggestion about King K. Rool inheriting Bowser's Melee Side Special move. I think that fits him but maybe as a grab/pummel move?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
His first appearance without a tail was in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon, where it was left out because of shoddy animation (the same reason his long cape turned into a bib). I suppose Paon took inspiration from the cartoon for some reason and turned him into a grotesque frog-esque...thing.

Speaking of Paon's games, where only Kritters appear out of the classic DKC Kremlings, do you guys think a K. Rool appearance in Smash in his classic design would allow some of the older Kremlings to return as well? Perhaps Klump or Krusha, as in the OP's AT? Or some of the DKC2 Pirate Kremlings as hazards on a Gangplank Galleon stage?

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
If King K. Rool is in Smash, I think the more popular Kremlings; such as Klump or Krusha, would appear in some form; trophies, stickers, assists, or cameos. I would love to see Kremlings as enemies in story mode.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm not sure how they'd handle the other Kremlings, so I pretty much have no input.

Anyway, I actually like the Kritters current look more than their appearance in the older games. They look more menacing than K.Rool, which is funny/sad when your lowest level minions look more threatening than you. Imagine a Koopa Troopa looking more vicious than Bowser.

EDIT: Sure, the visible scales in their older appearance make them look uglier, but they have more of a sleezy feeling overall. Their recent look seems more brutish.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I saw this awesome 1080p HD picture of Brawl (on a Dolphin Wii/GameCube emulator, which can allow the game to run at that speed, although it runs very slowly), and I am salivating at the thought of K. Rool in a game that looks 10 times better! THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!! :psycho: :grin: :awesome: :cool: :shades: :rotfl: :)
**** yes. I've been waiting since SSB64 for this. It's going to happen. It MUST happen.
I'm on the same boat at this smart smash brothah. K ROOL IS A MUST!!! 5 year old me would be so hyped if he was playable and will come out if when K. Rool gets confirmed! :)
EDIT: I love K.Rool and want him playable, but I refuse to join the KKK.
That made me laugh so hard! :chuckle:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What better way for K. Rool and the Kremlings to return than in full-blown HD, with magnificent textures all over that fantastic classic design?

I actually just completed the GBA port of DKC2 earlier today, which reminded me...how should K. Rool's power and size compare to that of his eternal rival, DK?

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
U know? I've been putting more thought into Krool, and i think i might support him as the third rep for DK

The reasons why i had a change of heart is because the other options for reps ( funky,dixie) can actually be costume swaps?

And krool cant :/

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What better way for K. Rool and the Kremlings to return than in full-blown HD, with magnificent textures all over that fantastic classic design?

I actually just completed the GBA port of DKC2 earlier today, which reminded me...how should K. Rool's power and size compare to that of his eternal rival, DK?
Perhaps he can be heavier, while DK is stronger (based on that uppercut from DKC2). Maybe K.Rool can be faster than DK, based on the fight on Gangplank Galleon, and possible have a slightly better jump height than DK and Diddy. Just some possibilities.

The reasons why i had a change of heart is because the other options for reps ( funky,dixie) can actually be costume swaps?
IDK about that. They pretty much avoided that concept since Smash64 (Mario had a Wario color scheme but certainly wasn't Wario), continued that in Melee with Peach (who only had Daisy's colors and dress but not her hairstyle, thus still being Peach) and maintained the same idea with Luigi's Waluigi colors. DK and Diddy might have alt colors that reference Funky and Dixie, and that doesn't disqualify them as a possibility. DK could have all of Funky's clothing (including the shades) except the bandana, since DK's too cool to let his hairdo mimic someone else's. And, Diddy's already got Dixie's color's, but that ponytail is certainly something that he couldn't imitate--even with his tail.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've rewatched the boss fights of K.Rool from the Country and 64 games again. This guy is such a crazy reptile. xD

I do hope that if he becomes playable, that his moveset will remain as quirky as it was in those games. :)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool for Smash 4.
And, I think he'd be a unlockable character, since there's very few unlockables from the Mario/'assistant' series.

RNH

Smash Cadet
K rool will probably make it in but Im actually not that excited, he is still my no. 3 after Demise and Shulk

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've rewatched the boss fights of K.Rool from the Country and 64 games again. This guy is such a crazy reptile. xD

I do hope that if he becomes playable, that his moveset will remain as quirky as it was in those games. :)
K. Rool's quirkiness will likely depend on whether he receives his classic design or Paon one, as is the case with his tail and voice. Fortunately, based on the Kongs' designs, the former seems most likely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, after going through the many pages from the old Smash 4 thread, I've managed to find the image that displays K. Rool's special move concepts...

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
K. Rool's quirkiness will likely depend on whether he receives his classic design or Paon one, as is the case with his tail and voice. Fortunately, based on the Kongs' designs, the former seems most likely.
Paon? The King of Swing game?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
...or they could combine both Rare's and Paon's styles for the Smash version of King K. Rool.

Top Bottom