• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I'd also delete Mii Fighters from existence. Because **** them. Waste of resources on 3 movesets for a Mii when that could have been 3 more iconic Nintendo characters.
That sure is correct until you realize that Miis, in themselves, are iconic Nintendo characters. Their execution in Smash 4 could not have been better.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I actually think DK got represented pretty fairly in Brawl. Two new stages, a new character, a bunch of really cool trophies like Squitter, and fan favorite songs like Gangplank Galleon and Bramble Blast. Besides not having an AT when almost every other franchise had one, having the Barrel Cannon removed, and maybe better song selection overall, it got a pretty damn good hand of cards, especially considering the rocky status the franchise had during the GameCube/early Wii era.

It's only NOW when the DK series is back to the forefront that it starts feeling relatively shunned.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
TThat is entirely a subjective opinion and I disagree with you.
Why's that? I think they encompass the whole customization aspect of Miis very well. Not only from being able to make their face, but being able to adjust their height and weight (and thus their strength and speed) and being able to choose from different archetypes to suit your fancy and many different special move options.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Also, I actually think DK got represented pretty fairly in Brawl. Two new stages, a new character, a bunch of really cool trophies like Squitter, and fan favorite songs like Gangplank Galleon and Bramble Blast. Besides not having an AT when almost every other franchise had one, having the Barrel Cannon removed, and maybe better song selection overall, it got a pretty damn good hand of cards, especially considering the rocky status the franchise had during the GameCube/early Wii era.

It's only NOW when the DK series is back to the forefront that it starts feeling relatively shunned.
Eh, I agree and disagree.
I think by Brawl, DK at least deserved Dixie or K.Rool. That being said, DK really didn't have a ton going on when Brawl came out, so I don't blame them for focusing elsewhere.

At this point in the Smash series though, I think DK really does deserve 3 or even 4 reps, and I think it's ridiculous that we don't have that yet.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
That sure is correct until you realize that Miis, in themselves, are iconic Nintendo characters. Their execution in Smash 4 could not have been better.
Yes, I realize Miis are now literally the face(s) of Nintendo. I just think there's been a lot of work done and resources set aside for a "character" that's actually many characters in one. I think I would have preferred a single Mii moveset using stuff from Mii related games and software and such, where you could just upload your Mii face onto it. Having 3 movesets, completely different customs, and loads of outfits (including ones of actual characters) is a bit much, especially for something you can't use online outside of friends.

Probably the biggest thing for me is excluding them from online outside friends if I recall. I think it's been mentioned that tournies allow them? I don't have the Wii U version anymore.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Why's that? I think they encompass the whole customization aspect of Miis very well. Not only from being able to make their face, but being able to adjust their height and being able to choose from different archetypes to suit your fancy and many different special move options.
Because I feel as though way too much time and effort was spent on a character that can't even be used online. Nobody I play Smash with even bothers with Miis, and they account for basically three separate characters.
All of the time spent making the three separate mii fighter classes could have been used to better the game in other areas, and I would have preferred that.

I honestly do enjoy the clothing options, but I don't care much for the move/stat customization. I would have preferred a single Mii character with a moveset based on the Wii series of games. That's just me though.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I realize Miis are now literally the face(s) of Nintendo. I just think there's been a lot of work done and resources set aside for a "character" that's actually many characters in one. I think I would have preferred a single Mii moveset using stuff from Mii related games and software and such, where you could just upload your Mii face onto it. Having 3 movesets, completely different customs, and loads of outfits (including ones of actual characters) is a bit much, especially for something you can't use online outside of friends.

Probably the biggest thing for me is excluding them from online outside friends if I recall. I think it's been mentioned that tournies allow them? I don't have the Wii U version anymore.
Tourneys DO allow them, which makes their exclusion from online matches even more baffling.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Yes, Miis are playable in tournament mode.
And I knew I was going to get :4greninja:'d.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Having 1 moveset for the Mii would have been a big disservice to Miis imo. Swordfighters, Gunners and Brawlers cover 3 basic archetypes which most of the fighters in the game cover and having only 1 archetype would be ignoring a large aspect of customization, which is what Miis are all about. They're all about what you want, they're your own personal guy.

Also you can still use Miis online with friends, and jut because nobody you know enjoys Miis doesn't mean there aren't alot of people out there who do.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Yes, Miis are playable in tournament mode.
And I knew I was going to get :4greninja:'d.
Like @ KawaiiPiranha KawaiiPiranha mentioned above, I think it's rather baffling that they are allowed in Tournies but not For Glory, though understandably Tournies came out much later (a few days ago) versus the vanilla For Glory. I wonder if For Glory will ever be updated to include the Miis but somehow I doubt it.

Also, I'm still sticking to my guns on the Miis. You can customize their face, height, and weight and I think that should translate into smash, with their actual moves being Wii game based ones, rather than trying to mimic three common archetypes in Smash when that work could have been used on other Nintendo characters.

I realize that lately I've grown to detest Miis because of the recent debacle with Kosplay K. Mii.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
In other news, if you see a green DK on FG with the tag "VOTEKROOL", that could be me. :-)

spreading the word, folks

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I was reading somewhere (forgot where it was but I knew it was posted around the time that the Mewtwo DLC was revealed) that Dixie Kong wasn't "forgotten" by the general public (or at least the gaming scene) the same way K. Rool was. Is this true? Like maybe in the mid-late 2000s when there wasn't much going on for DK as a franchise? Has one always had more prominence in the average gamer's mind or have they usually been around the same level?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In other news, if you see a green DK on FG with the tag "VOTEKROOL", that could be me. :-)

spreading the word, folks
Likewise! Post 1.1.0's launch when I got the K. Rool Kostume, I've recently picked up :4dk: and adopting a similar tag with "K.Rool4DLC" in For Glory too! He's probably my 2nd most played heavy character in Smash 4 alongside Ganondorf. I've been meaning to drop by the DK Social thread anyways, if he's slowly becoming a secondary of mine.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie missed the biggest DKC game to date, the original. But unlike Rool, she was the co-protagonist of two DKC games ( Rool only showed up at the end). She fell off after that, however. Didn't show up at all in 64 (Rool did of course), which was bigger than DKC2 and 3. But showed up in some Mario spin offs later. And of course, TF. I would say they are about the same. I don't think the difference is that big, if any. I think they are both modestly known among gamers.

But there's no real way to know. Probably just some overzealous dixie supporter/K. Rool detractor.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Likewise! Post 1.1.0's launch when I got the K. Rool Kostume, I've recently picked up :4dk: and adopting a similar tag with "K.Rool4DLC" in For Glory too! He's probably my 2nd most played heavy character in Smash 4 alongside Ganondorf. I've been meaning to drop by the DK Social thread anyways, if he's slowly becoming a secondary of mine.
glad to hear that!
I mained DK back in my casual Melee and Brawl days, but dropped him until recently in smash 4. The new buffs he received do him really good. It's almost like coming back home for me :-)

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
For the kampaign!

I know it's a DK video, but as stated, I go by "VOTEKROOL" on FG and this match was full of shenanigans i couldn't withhold from you, guys. :)

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
For the kampaign!

I know it's a DK video, but as stated, I go by "VOTEKROOL" on FG and this match was full of shenanigans i couldn't withhold from you, guys. :)
Speaking of that, I just used the Youtube feature for the first time, and I gotta say, it ain't too bad. (the items were due to it being tournament mode :()
Now it's time to go play as Green DK with the name "VoteK.Rool" because Shia LaBeouf told me to.

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Star Fox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong are starting to feel like the ******* children of Smash for some people. The reason I bring up those three in particular because they're still among the more popular IPs alongside Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda, yet don't really receive much in the way of new stuff.

Jungle Hijinks is great, Pyrosphere is a painful reminder of what could have been, and Orbital Gate is just too chaotic for my tastes where it feels like the objective is to avoid dying on the stage as opposed to fighting the enemy.
I'll agree with you on Metriod and Donkey Kong but Star fox honestly got far more attention than it deserved in the Melee/Brawl era, besides the space trio, not much has actually remained consistent of the Star Fox plot. Also, I'm not sure if there are any character that they could add, which wouldn't be a semi-clone at best.

I think a change in avatar is in order...
Where is your avatar from anyway?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Having 1 moveset for the Mii would have been a big disservice to Miis imo. Swordfighters, Gunners and Brawlers cover 3 basic archetypes which most of the fighters in the game cover and having only 1 archetype would be ignoring a large aspect of customization, which is what Miis are all about. They're all about what you want, they're your own personal guy.

Also you can still use Miis online with friends, and jut because nobody you know enjoys Miis doesn't mean there aren't alot of people out there who do.
I think having 3 different classes of Miis, that are all completely random is a disservice to Miis. There should have been 1 Mii, who was usable in all game modes, simply called "Mii", whose moveset is based on the sports titles and other appearances they've had. You could still customise the face and clothes but not size.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I think having 3 different classes of Miis, that are all completely random is a disservice to Miis. There should have been 1 Mii, who was usable in all game modes, simply called "Mii", whose moveset is based on the sports titles and other appearances they've had. You could still customise the face and clothes but not size.
I understand what you mean, but part of the appeal of Mii Fighters is "Anything can join the fight" as Sakurai said. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice to have a more inspired moveset but at the same time I'm sorry, if I want to play as Goku, Reggie, Obama or myself in Smash I want to see them using actual weapons and fighting techniques, not golf clubs or tennis rackets, which would have been a disservice to the "anyone can join" concept imo.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I like miis the way they are, I just wish they were implemented better. Although sometimes I wish they were never introduced so we would have been sparred from this K. Rool outfit madness.

Speaking of K. Rool, I'd like the final design with claws on his hand. He just looks silly and much less menacing without them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Personally, I HATE the idea of Mii's using abilities from other Mii games. The problem is that goes completely against the notion of what Mii's are. Mii's are supposed to represent you. As such, they are never consistent, they always play how the game in question wants them to play.

Making Mii's use sports-based attacks does not feel right at all in Smash, a fighting game. It makes a lot more sense to have Mii's be customizable and, well. FIGHT. Because they adapt to the game they are in. I still dislike Mii's being in the game, but in my opinion they handled Mii's in the absolute best way they could have.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Making Mii's use sports-based attacks does not feel right at all in Smash, a fighting game.
The fact that Wii Fit Trainer is in 4 makes sentences like this completely irrelevant. It's not about IF you fight, it's about HOW you fight.

(In regards to the miis) I'm no game designer, so I wouldn't know the best way to pull the concept off. On one hand, you have a big casual audience who probably bought and played Wii Sports, etc, and like putting on those fun little cosplay costumes and don't mind the moveset.

On another you have hardcore fans who want their actual character in the game as opposed to a costume and generic attacks.

I feel like this thread has become more bitter as the days rolled on, as opposed to optimistic speculation when the costume was first released. But yeah, we should move this discussion aside in favor of something... better.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The fact that Wii Fit Trainer is in 4 makes sentences like this completely irrelevant. It's not about IF you fight, it's about HOW you fight.

I'm no game designer, so I wouldn't know the best way to pull the concept off. On one hand, you have a big casual audience who probably bought and played Wii Sports, etc, and like putting on those fun little cosplay costumes and don't mind the moveset.

On another you have hardcore fans who want their actual character in the game as opposed to a costume and generic attacks.

I feel like this thread has become more bitter as the days rolled on, as opposed to optimistic speculation when the costume was first released. But yeah, we should move this discussion aside in favor of something... better.
WFT exclusively fights with fitness techniques. Jayden was talking about how Miis represent the player and not sports

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
I suppose just using the Wii Sports games wasn't the best idea, as miis have been in more than that. Like the games in 3DS Mii Plaza. I won't try and extend this debate, though.

Moving along, anyone posted/seen this?

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
So Killer Instinct just got Rash from Battletoads. I don't know about you, but this makes me want K. Rool more now than ever.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
For the kampaign!

The new replay feature is PRETTY krisp. I'm sure we'll see a ton of K. Rool replays posted here once he's playable

Top Bottom