• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I really appreciate that K. Rool fans aren't arrogant or aggressive. Certain characters have very vocal fanbases that seem to think they need to put down other characters in order to bring their own up, which makes being around them unpleasant (even if I support them). Here, it's about K. Rool and positivity, not talking trash about Isaac/Wolf/Banjo/Snake/whoever. I feel more comfortable here, in any case.

Also the "popularity alone" argument is silly. Sakurai has said characters considered for inclusion in Smash need to have their first appearance in a video game. I know we like to say "Sakurai works in mysterious ways," but there's a limit to his trollishess. If everyone started voted for George Washington and he came out the obvious 1st place winner, it wouldn't mean anything. Let's not be obtuse.
He would make it in though.

As a Mii costume :)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you're spamming someone, expect to get blocked. Sakurai was in the right. Dunno what that guy was expecting, if he's being earnest. But something tells me he's not. I searched for a history of tagged Sakurai posts on twitter within the last day (his thread was made 5 hrs ago), and I do not see any that fit his description. He's probably trolling to amuse himself or to try make K. Rool fans look badly.

Even if this somehow ended up being true, that should not reflect on our community as a whole.

We don't spam him. He might get a lot of notifications from RTs and Favorites, but that's a different thing entirely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is seriously not the right way to go about asking for King K. Rool.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72272053
People like that only gives us a bad image.

I don't want people to think that the K.Rool fanbase i just a bunch of vocal whiners that annoy Sakurai just to get him.

I want people to give respect to our fanbase, just like we must give respect to other fanbases despite the disagreements with their choices. That guy over there at GameFarts GameFaqs is NOT helping the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So what do you guys want/think King K. Rool's Final Smash would be. I've seen like 2 popular options.

1. Kannonball Kastastrophe: King K. Rool rains Kannonballs down onto the stage like what he does in DKC.
2. Kredits: King K. Rool fakes his death while the Kremling version of the Kredits scrolls (I'm guessing those hurt people).

I like both, do you guys have any other ideas.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
People like that only gives us a bad image.

I don't want people to think that the K.Rool fanbase i just a bunch of vocal whiners that annoy Sakurai just to get him.

I want people to give respect to our fanbase, just like we must give respect to other fanbases despite the disagreements with their choices. That guy over there at GameFarts GameFaqs is NOT helping the cause.
Not to give this any more attention than it deserves, but trolls on Gamefaqs make up ridiculous stuff like this all the time and pretend to be K. Rool fans to make genuine K. Rool fans look bad.

D

Deleted member

So what do you guys want/think King K. Rool's Final Smash would be. I've seen like 2 popular options.

1. Kannonball Kastastrophe: King K. Rool rains Kannonballs down onto the stage like what he does in DKC.
2. Kredits: King K. Rool fakes his death while the Kremling version of the Kredits scrolls (I'm guessing those hurt people).

I like both, do you guys have any other ideas.
3.One of Us: starts singing One of Us and everyone commits Suicide, becuase the song is so awesome that's there's no reason left to live (because there's nothing more awesome than One of Us).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Something that may seem far-fetched but that is yet another possibility to consider...remember when people were suggesting that K. Rool's trailer show a lot of Kremlings voting for/supporting him? What if the costume is just a set piece so they can show different people as Miis, being fans of a character before the real thing shows up?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Something that may seem far-fetched but that is yet another possibility to consider...remember when people were suggesting that K. Rool's trailer show a lot of Kremlings voting for/supporting him? What if the costume is just a set piece so they can show different people as Miis, being fans of a character before the real thing shows up?
That'd be pretty kool IF we don't have anymore CGI cutscenes (we should though cuz those looked good).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was thinking that'd be cool as well, but I'd prefer it if there were also Kaptain and Baron in addition to King.

EDIT: Or get Kritter and Klump instead.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
I don't think Sakurai will consider alternate costumes for K. Rool, he wouldn't bother create Kaptain or Baron costumes considering how unrepresented the DK franchise is.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 Good thesis and explanation on this mysteriously large "casual voting audience."
Another part of it that I neglected to mention:

Even for those casuals aware of the ballot, how many do you think voted on it? Or who do you think they voted for?

Let's look at the first aspect. I know of people ON THIS SITE who haven't voted for a character yet. They just haven't bothered. The casual players are just that: Casual. They may see the ballot, go "oh, that's neat", and vote. Or they may put it aside to vote later and forget about it. They may think about it, and not be able to think of anyone they want to put in, leaving it blank. Or not want to fill out any reasons, and abandon it because of that. There are tons of other reasons why they may not fill it in, just because they are not as dedicated to the series. Ballots and surveys take time, and a lot of casuals don't want to bother to give it. So a lot of casuals, even if they KNOW about the ballot, probably haven't bothered to fill it out.

Now let's look at the last part. Who owns the casual voting block? The answer: Nobody. They're casuals. They each love a ton of different games, and for different reasons. Everything from My Little Pony to HALO, they vote for whoever and whatever they please. Individuals who are Smash fans have a better focus, and more deliberate votes because of it. But someone who is a casual Smash fan may be a dedicated Professor Layton or BlazBlue fan. The casual audience is so large specifically BECAUSE it lacks the centered focus. So there is no "OMG, Shrek is dominating the casual ballot". Shrek probably is... Among the Shrek fanbase. Or, more specifically, those members of the Shrek fanbase who also enjoy Smash and know about the ballot. Which is actually a fairly minuscule group. There is no unified "casual" fanbase all voting for a single character that is going to push that character above any of the dedicated Smash fan votes. The "casual" fanbase is in reality a thousand or more different dedicated fanbases, just not centered around Smash. And their votes are unfocused because of this.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't think Sakurai will consider alternate costumes for K. Rool, he wouldn't bother create Kaptain or Baron costumes considering how unrepresented the DK franchise is.
I don't expect Baron, but given how popular Kaptain is and how hard Sakurai works the fans I don't think Kaptain is out of the question.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't think you realize just how small the voting audience is.

The ballot was advertised in one Direct, and a couple Tweets. That's it.

Do you know how small a target that reaches? Just yesterday, I met a GameStop employee who (despite liking Smash and especially Lucas) didn't even know the ballot existed.

The Directs aren't watched by casuals. They're watched by fans. They're watched by the dedicated audience. If you're a kid who picks up the game, you'll see advertisements for DLC characters like Roy and Mewtwo. But you won't see an advertisement for the ballot, because it isn't advertised or pushed that way.

The casual vote is being massively overestimated here.
I agree with this. To add to that, I also called Nintendo yesterday (the 3rd) to ask if costumes disqualify a characters chances for inclusion....and the representative didn't even know about the ballot....he was like, "I don't recall them having a voting contest for Smash Bros..was this announced at E3 or?", so I sat there for about 20 minutes telling him all about the Smash Ballot and then he finally realized (after more than likely searching for it until he knew what I was talking about), "Oh, okay, I see what you mean now. Let me ask my higher ups." He did ask them though, and I waited on the phone, but I made sure he mentioned King K. Rool to them, because, "That is the character I've been wanting to vote for and if this costume counts him out of the running, then I won't even vote..blah blah blah." Anyways, he came back and confirmed from his "higher ups" that the costumes do not mean that those characters cannot make it.

Ironically the next day this just randomly comes out. (the 4th)
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/08/nintendo-listen-to-fans/

I know it doesn't have to do with Smash, specifically, but pretty nice to know that Nintendo is hearing us in some way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I see where he's coming from about the leaks, but he has to understand that we live in a day and age where people can strip games of hidden content within hours; it's going to happen.

What they should have done is not leave any unused content in the patches to begin with, and after the ESRB leak they should be on top of this stuff by now.
Well, they've done a good job with the past two updates at least.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I agree with this. To add to that, I also called Nintendo yesterday (the 3rd) to ask if costumes disqualify a characters chances for inclusion....and the representative didn't even know about the ballot....he was like, "I don't recall them having a voting contest for Smash Bros..was this announced at E3 or?", so I sat there for about 20 minutes telling him all about the Smash Ballot and then he finally realized (after more than likely searching for it until he knew what I was talking about), "Oh, okay, I see what you mean now. Let me ask my higher ups." He did ask them though, and I waited on the phone, but I made sure he mentioned King K. Rool to them, because, "That is the character I've been wanting to vote for and if this costume counts him out of the running, then I won't even vote..blah blah blah." Anyways, he came back and confirmed from his "higher ups" that the costumes do not mean that those characters cannot make it.

Ironically the next day this just randomly comes out. (the 4th)
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/08/nintendo-listen-to-fans/

I know it doesn't have to do with Smash, specifically, but pretty nice to know that Nintendo is hearing us in some way, shape, or form.
I knew it! I'm glad i'm not the only one who called nintendo and asked them this ^_^ so many people didn't believe me because "you don't have any proof blah blah". Just call for yourselves guys. Guess some people didn't know that, but this really does mean costumes don't de confirm a character. King K Rool is more likely to be in as smash DLC now than ever. At least i hope lol

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I knew it! I'm glad i'm not the only one who called nintendo and asked them this ^_^ so many people didn't believe me because "you don't have any proof blah blah". Just call for yourselves guys. Guess some people didn't know that, but this really does mean costumes don't de confirm a character. King K Rool is more likely to be in as smash DLC now than ever. At least i hope lol
It is obviously nice to have more people confirm it; though nothing short of an outright statement from Nintendo will confirm it for definite for everyone.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ugh, this is why I absolutely hate it when people hiss and swear at Sakurai for not doing exactly what THEY want, all while Sakurai is basically killing himself to get new content out for us.

Even us kutthroats are guilty of it, in the speculation era and even today. We can make jokes all day long about how Sakurai "hates the Donkey Kong series", or "only cares about Kid Icarus", but I feel like we never REALLY take the time to think about how hard doing this must be to him.

/rant

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can I just say something that's been on my mind for a while?

I think Baron's cranial apparel is overdone. I mean, some kind of a hat or other item atop his head is mandatory, it's K. Rool's thing - I just think that the extended brow and the wig and the doctor's mirror and the neck bolts is a bit much.

That said, K. Rool, like Diddy, looks naked without his krown. It's a relatively subtle detail, but it's fundamental to his design. I guess it's part of why the Paon krown is so widely disparaged compared to the Rare krown.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That said, K. Rool, like Diddy, looks naked without his krown. It's a relatively subtle detail, but it's fundamental to his design. I guess it's part of why the Paon krown is so widely disparaged compared to the Rare krown.
I dunno, I don't think he looks as weird as Diddy without his cap.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I dunno, I don't think he looks as weird as Diddy without his cap.

Yeah, that's true. He does have a certain charm even when the krown comes off.

Diddy just looks bald without his cap.

Ironic because K. Rool, who is actually bald, can get away with it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ugh, this is why I absolutely hate it when people hiss and swear at Sakurai for not doing exactly what THEY want, all while Sakurai is basically killing himself to get new content out for us.

Even us kutthroats are guilty of it, in the speculation era and even today. We can make jokes all day long about how Sakurai "hates the Donkey Kong series", or "only cares about Kid Icarus", but I feel like we never REALLY take the time to think about how hard doing this must be to him.

/rant
Not everyone does this, or ever has.

I've pointed out a few times how folks will surely miss Sakurai when he retires from the series, as that's when Smash will be at the most risk of (amongst other things) being affected by the issues currently affecting the Mario Kart series' rosters. Anyone who feels like ranting really ought to bear this in mind when, a few years from now, we're going to be more likely to see Diddy and K. Rool cut to make room for Wiggler and Honey Queen, and the metal and leaf power-ups removed so as to give Metal Mario, Pink-Gold Peach, and Tanooki Mario their own slots on the Smash roster.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
With all due respect to Sakurai, because there's plenty due, he is a grown man in his 40s with over two decades of experience making video games. He is one of the most respected and critically acclaimed developers in the industry, easy.

He shouldn't be so sensitive about what a few people on the internet say about his games. He is providing a service we are paying for; unreasonable or otherwise, consumers will criticize you. Suck it up.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
With all due respect to Sakurai, because there's plenty due, he is a grown man in his 40s with over two decades of experience making video games. He is one of the most respected and critically acclaimed people in the industry, easy.

He shouldn't be so sensitive about what a few people on the internet say about his games. He is providing a service we are paying for; unreasonable or otherwise, consumers will criticize you. Suck it up.
Or, rather than suck it up, he could just stop.

It's not as though Sakurai NEEDS to keep making games. He could retire right now and live well for the rest of his life. He makes games because he wants to, and because he wants to make people happy with the games he makes. Naturally, the criticism bites at him, because he takes it as a personal failure to do that.

So why shouldn't he just quit? If he can't please the fans, he can just stop.

Or maybe you should stop commanding people to "grow up and suck it up" and realize that everyone has feelings, and those feelings are part of why these games are so good, and try to be supportive of the man.

D

Deleted member

Let's not start a debate please.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Or maybe you should stop commanding people to "grow up and suck it up" and realize that everyone has feelings, and those feelings are part of why these games are so good, and try to be supportive of the man.
I have no idea what Sakurai's personal life is like. Maybe it's great. Maybe it's terrible. But I'm not his coach or therapist or friend, I'm a consumer buying his products.

It's as you said, Sakurai has no obligation to keep making Smash. He could stop but he doesn't. I just don't care for the fans who feel the need to rush to the man's defense when he is one of the most talented person associated with Nintendo and gaming in general (not that you're doing that right now). He will be fine.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Or, rather than suck it up, he could just stop.

It's not as though Sakurai NEEDS to keep making games. He could retire right now and live well for the rest of his life. He makes games because he wants to, and because he wants to make people happy with the games he makes. Naturally, the criticism bites at him, because he takes it as a personal failure to do that.

So why shouldn't he just quit? If he can't please the fans, he can just stop.

Sakurai also doesn't need to listen to the vocal minority who are ok with openly criticizing him. I know most people here appreciate Sakurai and his work and are also willing to give healthy criticism.

If I were Sakurai I wouldn't care at all about what a few spoiled rotten people had to say about anything, he shouldn't focus trying to please the spoiled loud mouths of the community; it just won't happen. I'm sure the amount of people who appreciate Sakurai and the work he produces far outweigh those who'd rather whine and act childish on the internet.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So in Animal Crossing
I made a Krokodile's catchphrase "#KrocTheVote"
I leave for a week and every single villager in my town is saying "#KrocTheVote"
I legitimately regret everything, it was a terrible idea
But atleast they support King K., I guess :drshrug:

So in Animal Crossing
I made a Krokodile's catchphrase "#KrocTheVote"
I leave for a week and every single villager in my town is saying "#KrocTheVote"
I legitimately regret everything, it was a terrible idea
But atleast they support King K., I guess :drshrug:
Hey, SmashRiver64! Check out my conversations page on my profile page. You'll find out about my icon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom