• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, the way I see it, if you cherrypick characters based on this arbitrary notion of "all-star", you're intentionally narrowing down your potential roster via an incredibly strict set of criteria. Even the theory that Smash is a game for "all-stars" is, in itself, arguably fallacious: truth is that Smash has always had characters that have been chosen just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Can you honestly tell me that, if Smash was a totally new series, characters like Captain Falcon and Ness would be chosen? How about Jigglypuff? Would we see Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Game & Watch, Sheik? And what happens when we dry up the well of "all-star" characters? What are we left with when we've used up Mario, Kirby, Ridley and K. Rool? Where would the sense of excitement and diversity be if Smash was to be reduced to a clinical, paint-by-numbers process?

As @ StormC StormC said, a lot of characters are chosen not because "this character is totally recognisable to the layman", but because "this character can do something interesting". Captain Falcon was selected from the then-popular F-Zero series because Sakurai thought his superhero-esque design would work well with a Sentai-style fighting style, and it happened to work well with the unused Dragon King fighter concept; he chose Jigglypuff because she was popular in the Pokémon anime at the time and because Kirby could be used as a convenient build for her skeleton. If rumour is to be believed, Game & Watch was chosen based on a single fan request that intrigued Sakurai, while Marth brought a more traditional fighting style to the roster that had previously not been seen (it's also interesting to note that Marth was planned to not appear in the Western release of Melee, and the fact that Sakurai was willing to keep them in for overseas fans demonstrates his willingness to take risks for the sake of creative effort).

Don't get me wrong: as far as I'm concerned, there is no good reason for K. Rool to not be present other than a lack of recent appearance and possible apathy from Sakurai. Yet decrying the roster for not being "all-star" enough is not only an utterly narrow-minded opinion, bordering on outright elitist, it's detrimental to the variety and quality of design that is Smash's hallmark. Smash is not defined by how many people can name every character in the roster (something that would be very difficult even as far back as 64 - if you dispute that, you're lying to yourself), it's defined by how fun the experience is.

And honestly? I would gladly take Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Robin and every other character in the roster, clones and DLC characters included, rather than Total Shoo-In of the Day #69 and Muhrelevant Aaaall-Staaaar #529. That's what makes Smash so damn fun. There really is something for everyone!

StormC

Smash Hero
Toad is basically a representation (a... rep, even) of people valuing "relevance/importance" over an actually interesting fighter.

Sorry Toad fans. (I should clarify this doesn't apply to Captain Toad.)

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the way I see it, if you cherrypick characters based on this arbitrary notion of "all-star", you're intentionally narrowing down your potential roster via an incredibly strict set of criteria. Even the theory that Smash is a game for "all-stars" is, in itself, arguably fallacious: truth is that Smash has always had characters that have been chosen just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Can you honestly tell me that, if Smash was a totally new series, characters like Captain Falcon and Ness would be chosen? How about Jigglypuff? Would we see Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Game & Watch, Sheik? And what happens when we dry up the well of "all-star" characters? What are we left with when we've used up Mario, Kirby, Ridley and K. Rool? Where would the sense of excitement and diversity be if Smash was to be reduced to a clinical, paint-by-numbers process?

As @ StormC StormC said, a lot of characters are chosen not because "this character is totally recognisable to the layman", but because "this character can do something interesting". Captain Falcon was selected from the then-popular F-Zero series because Sakurai thought his superhero-esque design would work well with a Sentai-style fighting style, and it happened to work well with the unused Dragon King fighter concept; he chose Jigglypuff because she was popular in the Pokémon anime at the time and because Kirby could be used as a convenient build for her skeleton. If rumour is to be believed, Game & Watch was chosen based on a single fan request that intrigued Sakurai, while Marth brought a more traditional fighting style to the roster that had previously not been seen (it's also interesting to note that Marth was planned to not appear in the Western release of Melee, and the fact that Sakurai was willing to keep them in for overseas fans demonstrates his willingness to take risks for the sake of creative effort).

Don't get me wrong: as far as I'm concerned, there is no good reason for K. Rool to not be present other than a lack of recent appearance and possible apathy from Sakurai. Yet decrying the roster for not being "all-star" enough is not only an utterly narrow-minded opinion, bordering on outright elitist, it's detrimental to the variety and quality of design that is Smash's hallmark. Smash is not defined by how many people can name every character in the roster (something that would be very difficult even as far back as 64 - if you dispute that, you're lying to yourself), it's defined by how fun the experience is.

And honestly? I would gladly take Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Robin and every other character in the roster, clones and DLC characters included, rather than Total Shoo-In of the Day #69 and Muhrelevant Aaaall-Staaaar #529. That's what makes Smash so damn fun. There really is something for everyone!
Exactly.

This is also the reason why I think someone like Paper Mario shouldn't be ignored just because he is from a spin-off.
If Sakurai could come up with a fun and interesting move-set for him, they should ignore the fact that he isn't from the "so well known and important" main-platformer series.

StormC

Smash Hero
I guess I should count myself lucky that I never actively wanted K. Rool since post-Brawl. Not that I was ever opposed to him, but Diddy was the priority for me, then other characters like Dedede, Olimar and Samurai Goroh (:sadeyes:).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
As for me, I've been supportive of King K. Rool since the 50-Fact Extravaganza. I'll admit that before the 3DS release, I didn't really care about what the DK series got in terms of content, mainly because my main focus was Roy and Ridley. Only until I started supporting did I realise that the DK series got less content than it should have in the first place.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
At this point if K. Rool gets snubbed I will be extremely disappointed/mad. I mean what else needs to happen

He's unique
He's a bad guy
Huge moveset potential
Lots of personality
Is relatively obscure by today's standards which makes him interesting
He has the votes
Has a huge fanbase
Supported or not he's known throughout the Smash community as a popular choice.

If he's ignored then I have my answer on not only Sakurais stance on DK but on Nintendos stance on K. Rool.....

In my ballot vote one of my reasons listed was he was an awesome choice to rep DK because he isn't a Kong and shows the series has variety. Which is beyond a doubt one of my top 3 reasons he should be there. Have a none Kong rep so that way it's not just apes. As much as I love Dixie I'd rather see Kongs plus Kroc rather than nothing but apes.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
At this point if K. Rool gets snubbed I will be extremely disappointed/mad. I mean what else needs to happen

He's unique
He's a bad guy
Huge moveset potential
Lots of personality
Is relatively obscure by today's standards which makes him interesting
He has the votes
Has a huge fanbase
Supported or not he's known throughout the Smash community as a popular choice.

If he's ignored then I have my answer on not only Sakurais stance on DK but on Nintendos stance on K. Rool.....

In my ballot vote one of my reasons listed was he was an awesome choice to rep DK because he isn't a Kong and shows the series has variety. Which is beyond a doubt one of my top 3 reasons he should be there. Have a none Kong rep so that way it's not just apes. As much as I love Dixie I'd rather see Kongs plus Kroc rather than nothing but apes.
Not to mention he has been around for over 2 decades and has helped shape the Donkey Kong Country series and the DK franchise as a whole into what it is today. He has been in over a dozen games and has been the only villain in the DK franchise to always return. With all of these unique attributes this guy should have been in a longtime ago.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I've wanted King K. Rool in since Melee as a 5 year old kid. DKC 1 and 2 were my first and FAVORITE game series. I even have memories of me being a kid from age 5-10 just really annoyed and sad that K. Rool wasn't in the game. But I'm 18 now and here we are. Going to riot 'til I see the big final boss crocodile on that ship I saw as a kid in smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The silly thing about this whole relevancy issue is K. Rool has been in more games with more major roles than almost all of the Smash 4 newcomers (third parties and maybe Bowser Jr. are the only real exceptions). All it takes is one game between Brawl and Smash 4 to be deemed "relevant" in Sakurai's (and the fans') eyes, looking at characters like Little Mac and Palutena. I guarantee that if K. Rool was in a Donkey Kong game after 2008 in any notable capacity, he'd have been on the table.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Hey guys! K. Rool isn't my most wanted character for the game but it would be really nice to see him in so could I could you add me to the list of supporters please?

HECK YES

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
King K Rool is a shoe in :)

Also why are the Ridley haters now going after King K Rools fanbase? I swear haters always wanna hate on anything popular smh

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282

Also why are the Ridley haters now going after King K Rools fanbase? I swear haters always wanna hate on anything popular smh
They're just using K. Rool as a scapegoat so that they can cope with Ridley's exclusion as a playable character.

TallT

Smash Apprentice

Where did you see this happening?

Cuz they are ********. Basically it.
I hope you realize a lot of K. Rool supporters once supported Ridley.

EDIT: Never mind read the first post wrong.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They're just using K. Rool as a scapegoat so that they can cope with Ridley's exclusion as a playable character.
He means that people who actively did not want Ridley do not want K.Rool.

Most of Ridley's fans wanted K.Rool too.

There was a reptilian duo thing for a while.

StormC

Smash Hero
Someone post the K. Rool-Ridley picture, the edit of Banjo-Kazooie's boxart.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I remember this beauty.

Who made this?

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
He means that people who actively did not want Ridley do not want K.Rool.

Most of Ridley's fans wanted K.Rool too.

There was a reptilian duo thing for a while.
Eh, I guess it's because they're haters. Hating is their job.
Either that or a lot of them are really bad trolls.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I remember this beauty.

Who made this?
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get on it Sakurai!

After all, DK and Metroid fans are f****** pissed a bit let down after that E3 presentation; they may both need a major character reveal to bring the hype back up.

Top Bottom