• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whether K. Rool gets costumes probably depends on whether he uses crown attacks, and, consequently, whether he can replicate those attacks while wearing a crown-less costume.

Since costumes are such a big part of K. Rool's brothers' character, hopefully he's exempt from Sakurai's idea that customizable alternate costumes devalue characters.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
^^

I think we all want alt costumes for the King. It's easy enough to give the Blunderbuss to the King persona and have it make sense, and since it's his more common appearance, despite the awesomeness of the Kaptain, it makes sense to give him that one first.

Still though, give him a couple of costumes.
Honestly, it SHOULD be Kaptain K. Rool. In my opinion, that is K. Rool's perfect incarnation. His moveset potential is incredibly easy and unique, it's from the best game of all time, and it looks badass. However, as far as Smash goes, it can only be King. We all know this to be true.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I've been lurking this board and thread for a while now. Count me in for K. Rool support! Even though I want Dixie Kong more, this game could use both of them. K. Rool has plenty of moveset potential, and I would love to see Kaptain K. Rool appear in some way. DKC2 is one of my favorite games from my childhood, and I would love to see it get more love. I also think K. Rool needs to appear in Tropical Freeze in some way (that 4th unrevealed character would be an awesome reveal).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've been lurking this board and thread for a while now. Count me in for K. Rool support! Even though I want Dixie Kong more, this game could use both of them. K. Rool has plenty of moveset potential, and I would love to see Kaptain K. Rool appear in some way. DKC2 is one of my favorite games from my childhood, and I would love to see it get more love. I also think K. Rool needs to appear in Tropical Freeze in some way (that 4th unrevealed character would be an awesome reveal).

Welcome aboard! I'm glad to meet another person who thinks DKC definitely needs and is deserving of four characters. Of all series in Smash that don't have them and could use them, DKC is long overdo.

Seriously, why I'm not rooting primarily for Dixie right now, with Diddy being added in Melee and K. Rool in Brawl is beyond me. I think you and I have alot of the same ideas about Tropical Freeze. I personally think secret boss, but playable is my next bet, otherwise they wouldn't keep it a secret so hard. (I was right about Sylveon's type and Pokemon, so...)

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I was also thinking that he would be in Tropical Freeze because they have been keeping it a secret. Maybe the Vikings invaded the Kremling Isle too and kicked them out. This would make sense for the Kongs to team up with K. Rool to get their homes back. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Retro's cooking up. I didn't get into Returns because of the Tikis and the absence of Dixie and K. Rool. I was ecstatic when Dixie Kong was announced to return for Tropical Freeze, but it still won't feel quite like a DKC game to me without K. Rool.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I think what he means is that since it's confirmed that Kremlings aren't in this game AGAIN, it would HAVE been perfect if they were. But they aren't.

I have more hope for SSB4 than TF.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think what he means is that since it's confirmed that Kremlings aren't in this game AGAIN, it would HAVE been perfect if they were. But they aren't.

I have more hope for SSB4 than TF.
I'd like to see a source for the underlined, if you please.

Look, I don't know why you keep assuming things that we don't know, but don't make us all look bad by continually saying things that are factually untrue.

Look man, I know you probably need to be negative for personal reasons, but I've learned not to give up. Given what we know about all the fanservice in TF, to say it's been confirmed he's not in (especially when they're intentionally keeping character #4 a secret, when most Mario games just reveal them. Something about it is fishy.

People who come here to support K. Rool don't come here to be depressed. We come here to be logical, sure, but logic is a multi-way street. Chill out already, brotha.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Look, I don't know why you keep assuming things that we don't know, but don't make us all look bad by continually saying things that are factually untrue.

Look man, I know you probably need to be negative for personal reasons, but I've learned not to give up. Given what we know about all the fanservice in TF, to say it's been confirmed he's not in (especially when they're intentionally keeping character #4 a secret, when most Mario games just reveal them. Something about it is fishy.

People who come here to support K. Rool don't come here to be depressed. We come here to be logical, sure, but logic is a multi-way street. Chill out already, brotha.
Stealth pun alert. :awesome:

Hoots

Can Be Combative

To be fair, Nintendo like officially hates the Kremlings. I want K. Rool to make a comeback more than anyone, but I would bet my lucky penny that Funky is the 4th playable character in Tropical Freeze. I think Nintendo wants all of the DK fans to just forget that Kremlings, K. Rool included, even existed. That's why I honestly think that the only chance he has for any further appearances is from Sakurai, where Miyamoto's insane hatred has much less effect.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be fair, Nintendo like officially hates the Kremlings. I want K. Rool to make a comeback more than anyone, but I would bet my lucky penny that Funky is the 4th playable character in Tropical Freeze. I think Nintendo wants all of the DK fans to just forget that Kremlings, K. Rool included, even existed. That's why I honestly think that the only chance he has for any further appearances is from Sakurai, where Miyamoto's insane hatred has much less effect.

See, if they were trying their best to remove the Kremlings from existence, why would they lisence this product? I know it seems like Nintendo's trying to remove them, but by advocating things like Miiverse, they're only providing a way for fans to be vocal. Besides, by all accounts, Capcom felt the same about Mega Man until now.

I wouldn't mind Funky, but I really don't see any "hatred" from Miyamoto, for various reasons.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm not even sure if I'm serious when I reference Donkey Kong Country - He Came, He Saw, He Kong-Quered in relation to K. Rool being as important as ever, but in terms of Miyamoto and hatred shenanigans, if the Kremlings were really that despised, you'd think they wouldn't appear in games where, by all means, they have no real reason to appear, namely Strikers and Sluggers. And they wouldn't have had so many bloody trophies in Brawl.

Retro just has some compulsion to use revolving-door baddies that behave identically to Kremlings and pass it off as creativity, and Miyamoto feels no need to stop them, I guess.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
See, if they were trying their best to remove the Kremlings from existence, why would they lisence this product? I know it seems like Nintendo's trying to remove them, but by advocating things like Miiverse, they're only providing a way for fans to be vocal. Besides, by all accounts, Capcom felt the same about Mega Man until now.

I wouldn't mind Funky, but I really don't see any "hatred" from Miyamoto, for various reasons.
First of all, I don't think we should equate the atrocious DKC TV show with K. Rool at all, much less DKC the gaming franchise. They really are entirely unrelated in anything but name and vague approximation of shape.

Also, Miyamoto had a ton of input on Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and the first thing he did was axe anything that Rare created. Clearly, he begrudges them for taking his creation and turning it into a beloved franchise without him. Then in DKCR, which he had a lot of support in, he caved and brought back several fan favorite elements like Diddy, Kranky, Rambi, the music, etc. HOWEVER, they refused to bring back Kremlings. Retro even went out of their way to say "There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)," absolutely spitting in the face of fans of Kremlings by not even dignifying them by using their proper name. Miyamoto gave them the order "You are making a better DKC." Clearly, he thinks that the only way to improve Donkey Kong is abolishing Kremlings to oblivion.

I hate to be a pessimist, but it's pretty damn clear what Miyamoto thinks about Rare and the Kremlings, K. Rool included. When we discuss K. Rool, we need to take this huge hurdle in mind because it's very real. Luckily, K. Rool checks off literally every single requirement for Sakurai's criteria. Let's hope that that is what really matters.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Capcom really doesn't like MegaMan. Doesn't stop Sakurai from including him in Smash 4.

IF Nintendo doesn't like King K Rool, that won't stop Sakurai from including him in Smash 4. Heck, he doesn't even have to ask for permission to include King K. Rool due to first party status.

Though given that the original DKC games aren't on the Virtual Console anymore, I would say Nintendo isn't a huge fan of them. =/

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Capcom really doesn't like MegaMan. Doesn't stop Sakurai from including him in Smash 4.

IF Nintendo doesn't like King K Rool, that won't stop Sakurai from including him in Smash 4. Heck, he doesn't even have to ask for permission to include King K. Rool due to first party status.

Though given that the original DKC games aren't on the Virtual Console anymore, I would say Nintendo isn't a huge fan of them. =/
Wow......you're are completely wrong. The fact that Nintendo is still making DKC games says that they like them. (No offense but the *insert company here* hates their own IP argument is just something that annoys me a lot.)

It was probably some stupid legal issues with Rare.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyway, I feel that K. Rool would likely have his original look. But his moveset could implement things from all of his boss fights in the DKC games. Including some stuff in Donkey Kong 64 as well. All I'm really hoping for in his moveset is the musket what shoots giant spike balls.

Groose

Smash Champion
First of all, I don't think we should equate the atrocious DKC TV show with K. Rool at all, much less DKC the gaming franchise. They really are entirely unrelated in anything but name and vague approximation of shape.

Also, Miyamoto had a ton of input on Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and the first thing he did was axe anything that Rare created. Clearly, he begrudges them for taking his creation and turning it into a beloved franchise without him. Then in DKCR, which he had a lot of support in, he caved and brought back several fan favorite elements like Diddy, Kranky, Rambi, the music, etc. HOWEVER, they refused to bring back Kremlings. Retro even went out of their way to say "There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)," absolutely spitting in the face of fans of Kremlings by not even dignifying them by using their proper name. Miyamoto gave them the order "You are making a better DKC." Clearly, he thinks that the only way to improve Donkey Kong is abolishing Kremlings to oblivion.

I hate to be a pessimist, but it's pretty damn clear what Miyamoto thinks about Rare and the Kremlings, K. Rool included. When we discuss K. Rool, we need to take this huge hurdle in mind because it's very real. Luckily, K. Rool checks off literally every single requirement for Sakurai's criteria. Let's hope that that is what really matters.
I could attempt to refute your claim that Miyamoto hates the Kremlings. However, let's assume this is true for just a moment. What does that change?

Miyamoto is not the one drafting up the roster for the new Smash Bros. That duty falls upon the shoulders of Sakurai. Can you prove that SAKURAI hates the Kremlings?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I could attempt to refute your claim that Miyamoto hates the Kremlings. However, let's assume this is true for just a moment. What does that change?

Miyamoto is not the one drafting up the roster for the new Smash Bros. That duty falls upon the shoulders of Sakurai. Can you prove that SAKURAI hates the Kremlings?
That was actually my point. I believe K. Rool is dead outside of Smash. I said earlier that Smash is his last chance of continue as a character. This is our chance to have K. Rool resurrected, and if Sakurai really does listen to what fans want, it might just work.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well the main enemies are Vikings instead of Kremlings.
What if in the next DKC, it's Eastern Island Super Heads instead of Kremlings.
I think K. Rool is fading away from Sakurai, but if he listens to fans, It's the only way. At the moment, Dixie Kong has the spotlight of being in Smash.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think K. Rool is fading away from Sakurai, but if he listens to fans, It's the only way. At the moment, Dixie Kong has the spotlight of being in Smash.
That's a great idea. I would've preferred moai to vikings any day.

On-topic: We gotta chill on the mass pessimism here. Even if K. Rool doesn't get in, it's not the end of the world. To be honest, I'd probably be furious myself, but there's nothing anyone can do to change the final outcome of the game, so there's no reason to worry over what can't be avoided.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All this 'no need to worry' talk is especially...wait for it...relevant in light of the latest Sakurai interview, where he claims that the period for 'requests' is over (and has been over for a while). There's nothing any character fanbase can do to influence anything at the moment, not that there's a strong chance they ever could, but yeah. Basically, Sakurai put into words what some of us have been claiming for a while now: the characters are decided and all we can do is sit back and keep our fingers crossed, up until their reveal or the release date.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Is anyone noticing that TF is taking a more 3D style in a way that seems like Retro is progressing toward a 3D DK platformer? That's pretty cool, especially since many fans have been hoping for one. It's like their giving the fans what we want. Dave Wise, Dixie Kong, aquatic levels, pirates who aren't pirates...man, all we "need" is K. Rool and the naysayers can eat their words...

All this 'no need to worry' talk is especially...wait for it...relevant in light of the latest Sakurai interview, where he claims that the period for 'requests' is over (and has been over for a while). There's nothing any character fanbase can do to influence anything at the moment, not that there's a strong chance they ever could, but yeah. Basically, Sakurai put into words what some of us have been claiming for a while now: the characters are decided and all we can do is sit back and keep our fingers crossed, up until their reveal or the release date.
Do you have a link to that? I don't doubt you--I'm always happy to read an SSB article.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

Can you source this info? I follow the DK scene quite a bit and everything you are saying is mostly fan speciation about why the Kremlings weren't included. I've not seen any interviews where Miyamoto says he hated DKC or Rare's creations(as a matter of fact a few years ago he wondered where that idea came from) or where Retro appeared to hate the Kremlings. They just said there are no crocodiles in the game and laughed. They knew the gaming world was a buzz about them and just casually confirmed they weren't in.

The Kremlings appeared in almost every DK spin off and in the Mario Sports titles as well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Do you have a link to that? I don't doubt you--I'm always happy to read an SSB article.
Happy to oblige.

There was allegedly an old Miyamoto interview where he claimed that "DKC proves gamers will tolerate mediocre gameplay if the graphics are good" in response to being asked to use similar graphics for Yoshi's Island. Later, during DKCR's development, Miyamoto denied this, claiming that he was heavily involved with the original DKC and emailed the Stamper Bros. on a nearly daily basis. It also came out that Miyamoto himself requested that DKCR be made, an idea Retro was quite receptive to. I'd dig the interviews up myself, but my phone isn't being that cooperative.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
K. Rool is my most wanted character for Smash 4 next to Little Mac. His jarring absence in Tropical Freeze leaves me a little worried, but hopefully Sakurai's aware of the support for him. I swear to ****ing god, if Dixie Kong makes it in...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Given the reveal of the Villagers history in smash in that recent Famitsu article. I think King K. Rool might have a better chance than Dixie.
This quote right here shows where his mindset is for this game.
For Mega Man as well, if all we cared about was who we could get in the game, then he would just have regular old punches and kicks, like how he largely does in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.
He is focusing on character's moves and their special traits that they bring to the smash roster.

Now when you think about it, what can Dixie honestly do that is different from Diddy?
The only thing of worth that comes to my mind is hair twirling.
King K. Rool on the other hand has a far greater moveset pool than Dixie giving him a greater likelihood of having a moveset that is unique not only to the DKC series, but to the Smash series in general.

Also this is something minor and it may have been posted before (Sorry, there are 70+ pages in this thread I'm not going through all of them to check :dizzy:), but I think this is interesting to note:
(Goto 10:51)
At 10:51 we see the classic mode credits start to scroll. And what is the theme that plays? Its King K. Rool's Ship Deck theme.
Aside from the fact that this song is proof that the smash team recognizes the existence of KKR (Which Retro Studios refuses to do :sadeyes:), Sakurai and his team chose this theme out of all the other possible DKC songs to be the credits theme.
Showing that King K. Rool has played a key and memorable role in DKC history. So while it is still unknown and nothing has been mentioned or alluded too; King K. Rool may have possibly been slated to appear in Brawl, and like Villager he too was omitted from the final build.

Groose

Smash Champion
That was actually my point. I believe K. Rool is dead outside of Smash. I said earlier that Smash is his last chance of continue as a character. This is our chance to have K. Rool resurrected, and if Sakurai really does listen to what fans want, it might just work.
I apologize; it's not often that I overlook the direction of an argument. I don't entirely agree with you, though; Miyamoto doesn't hate the Kremlings so much as he is unaware of how to do them justice. Retro, on the other hand, wanted to make the series their own; I respect then for this reason. Seriously, Nintendo---after Tropical Freeze, let them create their own IP (or, at the very least, resurrect one that we haven't seen in at least a decade).

There was allegedly an old Miyamoto interview where he claimed that "DKC proves gamers will tolerate mediocre gameplay if the graphics are good" in response to being asked to use similar graphics for Yoshi's Island.
I believe this quote can be attributed not to Miyamoto, but to Cranky Kong. Didn't he say this in Donkey Kong Land?
Though, I suppose Miyamoto could also have said something similar.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For some reason, I want to do a Ridley vs. K. Rool fight first thing in Smash Wii U and/or 3DS at Dr. Wily's Castle to this song.
That's a bit of an overreaction. It's Retro, this game will still be good, and while people are vilifying them for not working on something else, it's not like this goes against their usual practice, we got three Metroid games from them in a row. Yeah, I would've preferred something else as well, but I haven't lost respect for them wanting to finish what they started.
DKC Returns easily had a lower budget than the Prime trilogy, and probably outsold all 3 of those games combined, too. People want that DKC money. Plus, David Wise. If that magical name doesn't get you hyped, then child Johnknight1 would like to have a word with you.
K. Rool too big...
Ridley too big...

To those arguments, I merely shrug and point out Bowser.
Bowser's taller in Smash Wii U and 3DS (well, at least in the sense that he's no longer leaning down).
And it's so easy to make up even more for him, since he's insane and inclined to take new personas. Plus, he has rather unique body shape and build, and his Krocodilian ancestry can give him other interesting talents, like the death roll.
K. Rool changes personalities 1,000,000 times faster than your average pro wrastler.
You're speaking in the past tense, as if the game has already come out.
That's because Future Johnknight1 confirmed to volbound that K. Rool is in DKC: Tropical Freeze.

Also, wouldn't it be funny if K. Rool had a mere cameo role in Tropical Freeze=??? Like he's there at some level, but it's like he's in "super planning mode."
That SSE cutscene was amazing. And so was everything with DK and Diddy in the SSE. It was one of the few things I actually liked about it.
I think that was "proof" that Sakurai is a secret huge DKC fan. He loves his platformers, and I think DKC is no exception.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

You're making baseless assumptions and falling in with the bandwagon crowd. Especially with the Dixie comment. You're making the same fallacies made by too many pre-Brawl. Am I going to have to lay the smackdown on every single person aside from BKups and Johnknight tomorrow? I'm starting to feel that way.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Something I wanna ask, though. Am I the only one that would prefer if the K.Rool we get is Kaptain K.Rool? I mean, with the blunderbuss and everything. Pirate kremlings are best kremlings. K.Rool should get the Wario treatment and get different costumes, while we're at it.

Although he's most likely going to show up as king, Kaptain K. Rool would be pretty awesome. Plus, the Kaptain would be the easiest of his three personas to make a moveset out of. I mean that flame jet move that propels him in a direction is so versatile - it could be used as his dash, dash attack, side b, and even up b recovery move. Standards are covered by the butt of his gun. Specials are covered by the Kannonballs, status mists, and suction. Dat blunderbuss.

But does anyone here prefer Baron K. Roolenstein? Due to the Baron persona being so overshadowed by the others, there's probably no chance that will be the default/main costume. Therefore I hope K. Rool gets a down b transformation move to switch between his different personas with different movesets (although that's not likely to happen either since it'd be a lot of work). But yeah, I've always liked the Baron the most . . . and DKC3 out of the DKC trilogy. *gasp* Oh s**t I mean like DKC1 and 2 better!!! heh heh... DKC3 sucks and Kiddy sucks and the soundtrack sucks and DKC1 and 2 are the true titles that live up to the DKC name DON'T YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND!!! :troll:

Groose

Smash Champion
But does anyone here prefer Baron K. Roolenstein? Due to the Baron persona being so overshadowed by the others, there's probably no chance that will be the default/main costume. Therefore I hope K. Rool gets a down b transformation move to switch between his different personas with different movesets (although that's not likely to happen either since it'd be a lot of work). But yeah, I've always liked the Baron the most . . . and DKC3 out of the DKC trilogy. *gasp* Oh s**t I mean like DKC1 and 2 better!!! heh heh... DKC3 sucks and Kiddy sucks and the soundtrack sucks and DKC1 and 2 are the true titles that live up to the DKC name DON'T YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND!!! :troll:
Country 3 definitely wasn't my favorite game in the series. Heck, I think I prefer Returns. Even so, it still lived up to the Donkey Kong name.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
DKC3 is underrated. Sure, Kiddy was kinda boring to use (no offense to his fans), and there were some lackluster parts of the game, but man, the environment and setting was great, and some of the music from that game was really, really good. Using Dixie Kong in that game was nothing short of a blast, and I felt some of those levels were really, really good.

Also, is it just me, or would Lanky Kong be a freaking amazing 4th playable character in DKC: Tropical Freeze=??? Long extendable arms, flying via gas, handstand walking, arm extending attacks, and attacks while doing a handstand sound freaking golden. He'd be a great contrast to DK, Diddy, and Dixie IMO, and a heck of a lot better choice than Funky Kong.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
No, he just has really long arms as far as my knowledge goes. They're kind of stretchy I think, but not Luffy stretchy

And, um, he's from DK64 lol.

Top Bottom