• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You'd probably be able to play as all four Kongs individually in multiplayer, but if you ever want to play as anyone but DK in single-player, you'd have to kill off everyone else and avoid the constant barrel floating after you, urging you to return them to the playing field. Pretty disappointing, and something you'd hope would have been rectified after DKCR...at least a Diddy-exclusive 'hero mode' would be a great bone to throw.

Also, if the fourth character wasn't a Kong, I don't think Retro would have the capacity to lie and claim it is, so this new interview pretty much narrows it down. If Dixie's being brought back in Retro's second game, it would follow that Kiddy would be saved for the third, as in the original trilogy, but who knows what could happen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Tiny Kong coming along with Dixie Kong and then in the third game have Kiddy Kong join in alongside Chunky Kong with the other Kongs. (Lanky Kong would be awesome to join in too of course) Sisters and Brothers kongs unite. It would be a nice way to bring back most of the kongs instead of just the ones from the SNES Donkey Kong Country games. Then again, I just would like to see some of the Kongs from Donkey Kong 64 make a return in a platformer adventure game for once....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the old Diddy thread in the pre-Brawl days, we had a lot of Donkey Kong discussion. It's safe to say most DKC fans are here now at the moment. So that's why I broughht it up.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, so, K. Rool is back in the DK franchise as the final boss after Smash quite literally saves his scaly ***. What new attack pattern does he possess and what's his new plot this time around?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh I'd like a mixture of a totally insane fighting style! Teleportation would be neat. As would very fast rushing attacks which are hard to dodge, but leave him open for attack in the end. I'd also like him to jump around and do attacks from mid air, uses attacks coming from the background or area (like the cannonballs in DKC and electrical lasers in DKC3) . Maybe summoning minons as Krusha, Kritters and Klumps to.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I found it on a Smash Tumblr page, then, per your comment, checked out Smash Flash 2. Lo and behold, there's Gangplank Galleon in all its seafaring glory. I enjoy DK and Wario's movesets in it as well, though I'm still baffled as to why we can't get a single one of these fangames made without a roster flooded with anime characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I found it on a Smash Tumblr page, then, per your comment, checked out Smash Flash 2. Lo and behold, there's Gangplank Galleon in all its seafaring glory. I enjoy DK and Wario's movesets in it as well, though I'm still baffled as to why we can't get a single one of these fangames made without a roster flooded with anime characters.
You might want to take a look at Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

It has only one anime character, Goku. The rest are all Video Game characters, 3rd parties included.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Okay, so, K. Rool is back in the DK franchise as the final boss after Smash quite literally saves his scaly ***. What new attack pattern does he possess and what's his new plot this time around?
K. Rool, now masquerading as a wizard under the pseudonym "J. K. Rooling", has decided that instead of eliminating the Kongs through violence or banana theft, he'll simply use thinly-veiled science magic to turn them all into crocodiles! In battle, he'd fly around on a comically undersized, jet-propelled broomstick (using it for ramming attacks), and use a wand to shoot energy blasts at the Kongs. He'd also teleport and summon minions to attack. He'd be able to turn DK or his ally into a Kremling to attack their friend until defeated (whereupon they would return to their normal state). His boss battle would feature a second phase. K. Rool would shout his defeat ("I'm melting!"), and seemingly dematerialize, leaving only his crumpled wizard robes. However, he'd reappear a safe distance away, and summon a giant, crocodilian dragon, the Kolossus, as a last resort to defeat the Kongs.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So with the news that Sakurai isn't taking character requests anymore and that they are implementing characters now doesn't that make Dixie's playable appearance in Tropical Freeze and the supposed lack of K. Rool in there once again completely irrelevant given that it was announced this late? If so K. Rool's chances might just have gone up, which I sure hope.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So with the news that Sakurai isn't taking character requests anymore and that they are implementing characters now doesn't that make Dixie's playable appearance in Tropical Freeze and the supposed lack of K. Rool in there once again completely irrelevant given that it was announced this late? If so K. Rool's chances might just have gone up, which I sure hope.
Not really, DKCTF started development right after the first, and theres no way to know if they werent given assets or anything to use from the game by then. For all we know they could have gotten whiff of it before development for ssb4 started, its hard to say at this point but that all depends on if they had any contact with the team or nintendo themselves put forth DKCTF stuff when sakurai and team were gathering resources.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If last year's rumors are to be believed, Retro pulled their game (which ended up being TF) out of last year's E3 presentation. This would mean that the game was in its planning stages around the same time Smash's roster may have been, so I'm revisiting how much I think this game could have helped Dixie's odds...and yeah, helped in the past tense, since character chances are no longer going up or down. Everyone's either in or out by now, and we're just stuck making educated guesses about which one until we know for sure.

Groose

Smash Champion
If last year's rumors are to be believed, Retro pulled their game (which ended up being TF) out of last year's E3 presentation. This would mean that the game was in its planning stages around the same time Smash's roster may have been, so I'm revisiting how much I think this game could have helped Dixie's odds...and yeah, helped in the past tense, since character chances are no longer going up or down. Everyone's either in or out by now, and we're just stuck making educated guesses about which one until we know for sure.
Meh. We may never know. We'll probably have to check the trophies after the game is released.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The news of Sakurai dedicating a period of time toward seeking fan requests shouldn't excite us for any reason related to Dixie or Tropical Freeze. It's thrilling because, one, Sakurai is seeking out fan requests, period, and two, K. Rool's been the most requested Nintendo newcomer all throughout this game's development, in both the East and West. Fan demand not being enough, my tail-less arse.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The news of Sakurai dedicating a period of time toward seeking fan requests shouldn't excite us for any reason related to Dixie or Tropical Freeze. It's thrilling because, one, Sakurai is seeking out fan requests, period, and two, K. Rool's been the most requested Nintendo newcomer all throughout this game's development, in both the East and West. Fan demand not being enough, my tail-less arse.
do you have proof of this? I want to see numbers :x

if it's true K. Rools chances can't be too bad, but I still rather not get my hopes up to then be disappointed... I rather don't expect him and then be really surprised and happy if he makes it in...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
do you have proof of this? I want to see numbers :x

if it's true K. Rools chances can't be too bad, but I still rather not get my hopes up to then be disappointed... I rather don't expect him and then be really surprised and happy if he makes it in...
K. Rool tops just about every poll if we disregard Mega Man who's announced and Mewtwo who won't be a newcomer but a returning character. K. Rool is usually face to face against Ridley in western polls,but K. Rool has a big edge over him in the east, essentially making K. Rool the most wanted newcomer by this point.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
According to this article, someone at Microsoft was under the assumption that they owned Donkey Kong after the acquisition of Rare. Which brings me to this: While I do believe our great Kutthroat leader, BKupa, has made mincemeat of any argument concerning Nintendo's intellectual grasp of the Kremlings through his expert rebuttals in the OP, this little run-down also gives a concise explanation of the situation.

It's been 10 years, but I still see people who are unaware that Nintendo still "owns" the Kremlings.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather have a DKC 2 stage...with a DKC 2 K Rool

He just seemed so much more piraty in the game where he isn't on a pirate ship

D

Deleted member

The only way to totally clear the misconception that the Kremlings are owned by Rare/Microsoft is to make King K. Rool playable in SSB 3DS and Wii U. It's aggravating that people still think this and as long as King K. Rool doesn't make a major appearance, people will continue to think this.

Kinda makes me wish I was wrong about my pessimism about King K. Rool being in Tropical Freeze because it'd clear it up even earlier.

Also noticed that King K. Rool's Melee trophy mentioned him having "a few fans over the years". I know others have noticed this, but I'm curious if this means Sakurai might be aware of the demand for K. Rool in a Smash game. Also interesting that he got a trophy in Melee and not Diddy Kong.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As far as popularity goes? The closest samples we have are Shortie's polls, where Mega Man, Mewtwo, K. Rool and Ridley have had the top four on lockdown for a long time (with the latter two even surpassing the former two in earlier polls). Then, you have guys like Toise and Chronobound checking out Japanese forums, commenting that "They really want K. Rool and he comes up regularly" and "He seems to be THE regular series newcomer everyone's okay with." It's still telephone-esque info, but given that Mega Man is in and Mewtwo is being "thought about," I'm willing to go out on a limb and put faith in it.

The DK series basically flew completely under the radar between DK64 and DKCR, hence some people being shocked Diddy got into Brawl despite also "being owned by Rare," or commenting on how much they hated DK's 'new' Scooby Kong voice in DKCR. Both had been around during that 'decade of nothing,' but had gotten so little exposure, they may as well have been brand new. K. Rool appearing would most likely prompt similar shock from these people.

Who knows what happened as far as Melee's trophies go...though the fact that K. Rool's bumbling nature is mentioned gives me hope that it would return in his potential moveset.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I highly doubt nintendo would ever go for something like DK64 again
I'm not saying they are trying to go that route, I'm only saying they're taking a more 3D approach in some aspects. It's not even an open-world type of game like '64 is; a more accurate but still very flawed comparison would be Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot games.

Moving on, I would LOVE to see a Yeti enemy as part of the Vikings. It makes perfect sense...the enemies are from the arctic, yetis are rumored to live there...it'd be pretty funny.

And thanks for the link Bkuppa. Reading it has made me feel that there's no point in hoping for K. Rool, cuz he's probably in the game already. Sakurai clearly knows what fans want, and even though he likes to troll us at times by doing things his way, he still understands who we hope to see. I wouldn't be shocked if he made a list during Brawl's development of who to save for a sequel. I'm pretty confident K. Rool's got a shot, as well as Dixie.

D

Deleted member

Smash DK is 64 DK. :)
Smash DK is also DKC DK, DKCR DK, Jungle Beat DK, Konga Trilogy DK, King of Swing DK, Jungle Climber DK, etc.
There's only two DK's, and one of them is Cranky. Smash DK is not Cranky, but his grandson, the modern DK.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Smash DK is also DKC DK, DKCR DK, Jungle Beat DK, Konga Trilogy DK, King of Swing DK, Jungle Climber DK, etc.
There's only two DK's, and one of them is Cranky. Smash DK is not Cranky, but his grandson, the modern DK.

Smash DK made his debut as 64 DK, and in Melee is still 64 DK as per the DK rap. I can't say anything for brawl cause I'm not much of a Brawl person.

Contradictions in stories suck, don't they? :p

D

Deleted member

Smash DK made his debut as 64 DK, and in Melee is still 64 DK as per the DK rap. I can't say anything for brawl cause I'm not much of a Brawl person.

Contradictions in stories suck, don't they? :p
Smash DK debuted as a particular game version of DK from a game that came out almost a year after Smash and has absolutely no reference to said game within Smash.

Tell me, how is life in the dimension where logic and common sense don't exist?

Top Bottom