• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That was prior to Smash 4.
Pretty sure DK takes more from post-Rare now in design, specifically with DKCR.
Good point...looking at this new DK, he seems to have his darker fur from Returns (maybe a bit of Jungle Beat as well), along with a more original flapping mouth (since it borders on duck-like, maybe that's the cartoon's influence seeping in :troll:). Maybe the remaining DK characters will follow suit with partially-new designs of their own.

If K. Rool were just a bit larger in size, this thread would be stealing away views from the Too Big Crew just like they were golden bananas.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't think he was actually meant to be gold plated? Figured it was more of a... product of how models and such were made at the time. Everything back then was shinier. THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO BE WRONG, GOLD BELLY IS PRETTY COOL.
weather intentional or not, his belly is gold-plated. well, it sure looks like that in the Melee trophy, anyway.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he was actually meant to be gold plated? Figured it was more of a... product of how models and such were made at the time. Everything back then was shinier. THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO BE WRONG, GOLD BELLY IS PRETTY COOL.

I'm pretty certain K. Rool's golden belly is intentional; in DKC, when you attempt to roll/cartwheel onto his belly, you bounce off, meaning it's protected. This is further expanded upon in the GBA remake of DKC, where you can hear a metallic clashing sound when you bounce off (it's the same sound effect you hear when you get pushed back by Koin/Koindozer's shield, which is metal).

It makes sense that they'd armor plate his belly if you think about it; K. Rool is protected from frontal attacks by his chestplate, and he's protected from jump attacks by his golden crown. Without his armored belly, there would be no reason to wait until he throws his crown at you before attacking him. And besides, they could've just gave K. Rool Klump's belly (which is also yellow), but clearly skin colored and unarmored, as he is vulnerable to frontal attacks.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm curious but has King K Rool made an appearance in any recent game?

I'm just wondering how relevant he is these days since I don't play many Donkey Kong games.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I'm just wondering how relevant he is these days since I don't play many Donkey Kong games.
I think that he was in the most recent DK games before DKR, but that was last decade.

I THINK he only really made one appearance after brawl. not that it matters much.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

His most recent appearance was as a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers. He's been pretty much absent in the newer DK games, much to the fans' displeasure. But he's over all important enough to the series to warrant a spot, still.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
His most recent appearance was as a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers. He's been pretty much absent in the newer DK games, much to the fans' displeasure. But he's over all important enough to the series to warrant a spot, still.

Hmm I would still think that makes the situation iffy at best.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmm I would still think that makes the situation iffy at best.

To be fair, though, Diddy Kong didn't appear in Jungle Beat (the major DK game pre-Brawl), and he still made it in. Sakurai will probably notice his fan demand, which is massive both in Japan and internationally, and add him.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be fair, though, Diddy Kong didn't appear in Jungle Beat (the major DK game pre-Brawl), and he still made it in. Sakurai will probably notice his fan demand, which is massive both in Japan and internationally, and add him.

Probably.

Didn't he say it wasn't just popularity he looked for in a playable character though?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Probably.

Didn't he say it wasn't just popularity he looked for in a playable character though?

That is true, he also looks for gameplay potential and overall importance, as well as other things.

He's still seen essentially as the main villain, so there's the importance. That, and he has a plethora of things to work with as far as gameplay potential is concerned.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Off the top of my head, Sakurai's criteria:

1. The character must originate from a video game
2. The character must make people want to play the game.
3. The character must bring something new to the table.
4. The character must contribute to the game's balance.

Those are paraphrased from his speech at the GDC 2008, and are probably still applicable to his character decisions today, even though people on forums really only debate 2. and 3.

I look at relevance the same way I look at moveset potential, in that it can help a character get one foot in the door, but it's not the free pass so many people believe it to be. What's more, it borders on intentional ignorance to distill a process that Sakurai describes as 'stressful to the brink of death' down to 'determine the most recent characters and lock them in, whoever they are.' A newer character isn't inherently better than an older one, and an older character isn't inherently worse than a newer one.

Older characters aren't even actively hurt by missing appearances, they just remain stagnant, allowing newer characters to develop credentials of their own...which is arguably hurtful, but even then, only if you believe in the concept of 'representation,' a whole new can of worms.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Probably.

I love scrutinizing every one of Sakurai's words, even though he does change his mind frequently, but there's a lot of factors: Popularity, History with Nintendo/General game history, Nintendo's desires, fellow game companies, and then finally, actual game development.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of K. Rool. He kind of seems like an abandoned Donkey Kong character to me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That is true, he also looks for gameplay potential and overall importance, as well as other things.

He's still seen essentially as the main villain, so there's the importance. That, and he has a plethora of things to work with as far as gameplay potential is concerned.

I just think that King K Rool might have more stiff competition than people realize.

Also in regards to Sakurai's criteria....to be honest Sakurai doesn't really strike me as someone you can really hold to what they say. After all he seemed to be completely against an animal crossing rep on the surface during brawl development....but now recently we hear that Villager was planned to be in Brawl all along.

His criteria seems very logical though.

Groose

Smash Champion
I know this point was brought up a few weeks back, but let's revisit it: when would you expect K. Rool to be revealed if he is in the game?

Personally, I'd expect him as among the very next batch of newcomers or saved until release.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm really reconsidering how I expect character reveals to be pulled off this time, since everyone was expecting Brawl-like reveals up until the trailer, but that threw a wrench into everything. One thing I'm confident about is that Diddy will be revealed before K. Rool, just so he'll have more people to beat up in his debut. Other than that, it's anyone's guess.

I wonder if we can hire some Mr. Lange equivalent to bolster our views again...K. Rool's a large and in charge lizard too, so it's not an unreasonable request.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
On the subject of K. Rool's reveal: the only way I see him getting in as a starter or being seen before the game is out is, as I think countless people have mentioned before, is the possibility of Trouble Kings 3.

Groose

Smash Champion
On the subject of K. Rool's reveal: the only way I see him getting in as a starter or being seen before the game is out is, as I think countless people have mentioned before, is the possibility of Trouble Kings 3.
Sadly it seems that the "Big Three"---K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo--- will all be saved until after release, if they do make it in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm hoping at least one of those three will be revealed before release, just to really spark some excitement and optimism in general. I'd bet K. Rool and Ridley have better odds of being starters than Mewtwo, since he was a notorious unlockable in Melee (unless you knew to leave the game on overnight), whereas the others are starting from fresh slates.

Anyways, the Ridley thread has inspired me...is K. Rool believable?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping at least one of those three will be revealed before release, just to really spark some excitement and optimism in general. I'd bet K. Rool and Ridley have better odds of being starters than Mewtwo, since he was a notorious unlockable in Melee (unless you knew to leave the game on overnight), whereas the others are starting from fresh slates.

Anyways, the Ridley thread has inspired me...is K. Rool believable?
He's not. He's too green for smash, just like Ridley's too purple.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
K. Rool has size issues? o.O

I'm pretty sure he can't fit Donkey Kong in his hand.

D

Deleted member

Off the top of my head, Sakurai's criteria:

1. The character must originate from a video game
2. The character must make people want to play the game.
3. The character must bring something new to the table.
4. The character must contribute to the game's balance.

Those are paraphrased from his speech at the GDC 2008, and are probably still applicable to his character decisions today, even though people on forums really only debate 2. and 3.

I look at relevance the same way I look at moveset potential, in that it can help a character get one foot in the door, but it's not the free pass so many people believe it to be. What's more, it borders on intentional ignorance to distill a process that Sakurai describes as 'stressful to the brink of death' down to 'determine the most recent characters and lock them in, whoever they are.' A newer character isn't inherently better than an older one, and an older character isn't inherently worse than a newer one.

Older characters aren't even actively hurt by missing appearances, they just remain stagnant, allowing newer characters to develop credentials of their own...which is arguably hurtful, but even then, only if you believe in the concept of 'representation,' a whole new can of worms.
I haven't seen anywhere that Sakurai said the character must originate from a video game, only that manga characters wouldn't appear in Brawl. Sure it's seen as a well-known fact but I haven't really seen proof, at least not yet.

But anyway, the four criteria is the latter three and that they must fit into the style of Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

I don't know, guys.

King K. Rool was pretty big in DKC and DK64.
DKC2 and DKC3 don't count, as those were his little brothers. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He was just as big in DKC2 and DKC3 as in DKC I thought? But yeah, he was pretty damn huge in DK64. He was later downscaled again in the PAON games. Only his DK64 appearance really stands out.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool was graphically limited in Paon's games! Rare's intention was always to have him tower over the Kongs...think about how horrified they'd feel seeing some Chibi Rool!

D

Deleted member

K. Rool was graphically limited in Paon's games! Rare's intention was always to have him tower over the Kongs...think about how horrified they'd feel seeing some Chibi Rool!
I know, right? It would completely destroy K. Rool's character.

Groose

Smash Champion
Honestly, I've always thought that "too big" would be a decent enough argument against K. Rool. I used to have counterpoints prepared. But it seems as if all "too big" people flock to Ridley, so maybe I'm mistaken.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's a funny point...if Ridley gets confirmed first, will the Too Big Crew shift their energy toward K. Rool? That would be hilarious, but I doubt it would actually happen, since they'd be too busy shedding tears over the bittersweetness of playable Ridley. Plus, there are more convincing counterpoints against K. Rool to latch onto instead...like, "He can't get in because it would be weird for his icon to be the letters 'DK!'"

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
That's a funny point...if Ridley gets confirmed first, will the Too Big Crew shift their energy toward K. Rool? That would be hilarious, but I doubt it would actually happen, since they'd be too busy shedding tears over the bittersweetness of playable Ridley. Plus, there are more convincing counterpoints against K. Rool to latch onto instead...like, "He can't get in because it would be weird for his icon to be the letters 'DK!'"
king k rool cant be in becuz he hasnt ben in a dk game for years!!!!! god u guys r STOOPID IDIUTS. thas y pit and ic climers arent in teh game.

D

Deleted member

Nope, the Too Big crowd will simply collapse and will likely leave the community.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Mario Super Sluggers has K. Rool scaled down to about Bowser's size. He looks just fine. I believe a similar case preceded it in DK Barrel Blast. Let's not forget that DK and Diddy are almost the same size in DKC. Donkey Kong characters are size-shifting wizards, so who cares if K. Rool was "too big" a couple of times?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Wow, this thread moves faster than I thought it would.

I seriously don't see K.Rool being in any danger, but I will say this...if Ridley is included first, the too big naysayers won't swarm K.Rool...the idiots that say he's owned by RARE will.

Top Bottom