• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Groose

Smash Champion
How would you guys feel if K. Rool were in the game, but was a tag team with Cranky Kong? It would work something like the Ice Climbers, or like this:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A DK64 rerelease would be beyond amazing...for every knee-jerking bandwagoner claiming it's a bad game, I'll disagree and offer that it's not great for a DK game, but it's still a great individual game. I also feel as though the more light-hearted, goofy Banjo-esque humor fits fine within the DK universe, even though others may not.

Just get rid of the bloody Jetpac game if it's that big a copyright problem, and we're set.

Groose

Smash Champion
A DK64 rerelease would be beyond amazing...for every knee-jerking bandwagoner claiming it's a bad game, I'll disagree and offer that it's not great for a DK game, but it's still a great individual game. I also feel as though the more light-hearted, goofy Banjo-esque humor fits fine within the DK universe, even though others may not.

Just get rid of the bloody Jetpac game if it's that big a copyright problem, and we're set.

The reason people don't remember DK64 as fondly is that there weas a great deal of 3D platforming competition on the N64. You had Banjo, you had Mario 64, you had Conker. DK64 was an excellent game, but it had very strong competitors and didn't shine through as much as it could have in a weaker environment.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The reason people don't remember DK64 as fondly is that there weas a great deal of 3D platforming competition on the N64. You had Banjo, you had Mario 64, you had Conker. DK64 was an excellent game, but it had very strong competitors and didn't shine through as much as it could have in a weaker environment.
Oh, I remember DK64 perfectly fondly, I just don't believe it necessarily lived up to the incredibly high bar set by the Country trilogy. For example, I can appreciate stuff like its collect-a-thon nature, which game journalists enjoy holding against DK64 specifically, rather than the handful of other comparable games of the day.

K. Rool and Cranky would end up fighting over the symbolic umbrella from their youth and become enemies again.

Hey, maybe there's an excuse to bring back the Parasol item. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A DK64 remake would be amazing.

Am kinda saddened that this thread doesn't grow as much anymore as it used to...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Am kinda saddened that this thread doesn't grow as much anymore as it used to...
It *is* difficult to find things to talk about these days. All we really have to do is sit around waiting for more game announcements, details and character reveals.

If anyone's good at programming, we could discuss an ideal K. Rool PSA for Brawl or something, as I have yet to see one anywhere, but...yeah, not much else I can really think of to discuss.

As a side note, I'll probably be replaying DK64 *again* once I get out of school in three weeks. Such an amazing game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
DK64... Such a great game. I remember playing it for the first time.... Wondering why Diddy could swim... hold it.. ACK!!! *Nostalgia Attack*

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

Eh, it's sort of a given. We've seemed to have gone over every possible discussion that needs to have been held, and any and all arguments against K. Rool have been debunked many times over.

And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Ridley, and of Little Mac, and of Isaac, and of Mewtwo; of Pac-Man also, and Megaman, and of their supporters:

Who through faith subdued fandoms, sought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of fanboys.

Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the trends, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the detractors.

Fans received their hopes raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting arguments; that they might obtain a better end result:

And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of trolls and irritants:

They were flamed, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain by the bored: they wandered about in forums and chat rooms; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

[Of whom the character was not worthy] they wandered in 4chan, and in GameFAQS, and in dens and caves of their moms' basements.

And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promises:

Sakurai having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made happy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What to do, what to do...hey, I know! Let's spin some totally accurate conspiracy theories in the meantime to make ourselves feel better! :bee:

--Veteran characters are being revealed after major series releases. This means we'll see Diddy in November due to Tropical Freeze, opening the door for K. Rool to be revealed afterward (so he can beat up both Kongs in his trailer).
--Sakurai claims the Wii Fit Trainer is powerful against 'characters like Bowser.' He could be referring to heavyweights as a whole, or, more specifically, to the massive combo targets like K. Rool not yet revealed.
--Bowser is posed in a more upright stance so he can face his reptilian rival eye-to-eye rather than hunch beneath him.

Totally true stuff right here guys.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
--Bowser is posed in a more upright stance so he can face his reptilian rival eye-to-eye rather than hunch beneath him.
For some reason, I'm now getting a feeling that K. Rool might take up the hunched pose of Bowser, including the hovercar dash. Oh my...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
For some reason, I'm now getting a feeling that K. Rool might take up the hunched pose of Bowser, including the hovercar dash. Oh my...
In all fairness, I have alwayst found it difficult to imagine K. Rool running in Smash Bros. Not that I haven't seen him run before, of course. Just, in Smash, I find it hard to see for some reason. I don't know why.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Still expecting K. Rool to show up? I'm more optimistic than ever. Why? Because of fan demand, and he's the most logical DK newcomer right now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In all fairness, I have alwayst found it difficult to imagine K. Rool running in Smash Bros. Not that I haven't seen him run before, of course. Just, in Smash, I find it hard to see for some reason. I don't know why.
Well, depending on who you ask, K. Rool won't run at all. Instead, he'll use the jet function of his blunderbuss to glide along the ground. Which, actually, is the closest sensible equivalent to Bowser's glide we may get!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, depending on who you ask, K. Rool won't run at all. Instead, he'll use the jet function of his blunderbuss to glide along the ground. Which, actually, is the closest sensible equivalent to Bowser's glide we may get!
I like that idea, BKupa. I always thought of it as a dash attack, but applying it as his running animation is very clever. Plus, it'll be good for those who may end up missing Bowser's unconventional dash. I gotta say, I kinda miss it already.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thinking about it, K.Rool getting the hovercar dash wouldn't be really out-of-place.

You'd expekt a krokodile to krawl. :p

D

Deleted member

I'm just wondering if he will appear in Tropical Freeze as part of the Viking team.
The name "Vi-King K. Rool" is just too good to pass up.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm just wondering if he will appear in Tropical Freeze as part of the Viking team.
The name "Vi-King K. Rool" is just too good to pass up.
It'd be stupid to pass that up. I think he might make a cameo as a boss. It would certainly patch things up with DKC fans. The Kremlings are certainly better than those crappy Tikis.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, I'm conflicted in that regard. On one hand, you can argue that Retro is adding back everything fans wanted from the original DKCR (water levels, snow levels, Dave Wise, more unique bonus rooms, more Kongs), and that K. Rool would be at the top of this list. That said, you can also argue that all of these (except maybe more Kongs) were in their design plans for the original (based on unlockable concept art and a Dave Wise interview), but were scrapped for time, whereas K. Rool wasn't. Time well tell, I suppose.

On the subject of Tropical Freeze, am I the only one nervous about the returns of Cranky, Rambi and Squawks? You'd think they'd be obviously in, but because the Kongs are now traveling across different islands instead of regions of an island, I'm worried Retro will omit them on the grounds of them not being native to those islands or something. I sincerely hope this fear proves baseless.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yeah, I'm conflicted in that regard. On one hand, you can argue that Retro is adding back everything fans wanted from the original DKCR (water levels, snow levels, Dave Wise, more unique bonus rooms, more Kongs), and that K. Rool would be at the top of this list. That said, you can also argue that all of these (except maybe more Kongs) were in their original design plans for the original (based on unlockable concept art and a Dave Wise interview), but were scrapped for time, whereas K. Rool wasn't. Time well tell, I suppose.

On the subject of Tropical Freeze, am I the only one nervous about the returns of Cranky, Rambi and Squawks? You'd think they'd be obviously in, but because the Kongs are now traveling across different islands instead of regions of an island, I'm worried Retro will omit them on the grounds of them not being native to those islands or something. I sincerely hope this fear proves baseless.

Cranky will definitely return. There's no way around it. I'm not sure about Animal Buddies, but I'm fairly certain that Enguarde won't appear. As for King K. Rool, a Vi-King K. Rool would be the greatest thing in the history of EVER.

D

Deleted member

Banana Coins are still there, so it probably means Cranky is still there unless someone else runs a shop instead of him.

And then again, Cranky could just as easily be the secret 4th character. :troll:
We have DD Barrels and DX Barrels, so why not a CK Barrel?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Oh, I remember DK64 perfectly fondly, I just don't believe it necessarily lived up to the incredibly high bar set by the Country trilogy. For example, I can appreciate stuff like its collect-a-thon nature, which game journalists enjoy against DK64 specifically, rather than the handful of other comparable games of the day.
That's because DK64 was a far worse offender of the whole "collect a bunchy of things to win" philosophy than any other game of the time. Even Rare's other N64 games... there's a reason Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day are held in higher esteem than DK64/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am thinking Enguarde WILL appear. He has no reason not to.

I did like DK64 for what it was worth back in the day. Wish I could actually play the game, but my N64 controll stick is seriously jammed

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DK 64 was a fun game. Not the best, but certainly worth playing.

Multiplayer was the **** though. I want a whole game like that!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK64 Multiplayer was awesome. Too bad I was too good in it for my friends... Much like Smash and Diddy Kong Racing, nobody would ever play my favorite games with me :/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DK64 Multiplayer was awesome. Too bad I was too good in it for my friends... Much like Smash and Diddy Kong Racing, nobody would ever play my favorite games with me :/
I know that feel bro....

I know that feel....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was "too good" in DK 64's multiplayer because I was the only one that actually ran around getting watermelons when my health was low.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of DK64, I think people rag on it too much for being a "collect-a-thon." Maybe it didn't bother me simply because how young I was when I played it but it was a game that I played through to 100% multiple times and I probably wouldn't have any issue doing that again now-a-days. It was a great game despite not being good as the Banjo Kazooie or original DKC games and I honestly think that's the reason why it gets so much flak but, let's get serious, it's kind of hard to compete with some of the best 2D and 3D platformers ever made.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, since it's all the rage now to create support threads for generic enemies with no chance to be playable, let's draft some K. Rool-related ones in here!

--The Klump 'General' Discussion Thread
--Kritter's Marching Line - Hop to It!
--Krusha's Bodybuilding Boogaloo

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Hey, since it's all the rage now to create support threads for generic enemies with no chance to be playable, let's draft some K. Rool-related ones in here!

--The Klump 'General' Discussion Thread
--Kritter's Marching Line - Hop to It!
--Krusha's Bodybuilding Boogaloo

--Klaptrap's Bite-Sized Support Thread
--A Neck Ahead of the Competition: The Necky Support Thread
--Bazinga! Zinger's Discussion Group

And some non-K. Rool ones
--Tiki Goon Drums Up Support!
--Why Nitpick? Nitpicker Has a Support Thread!
--In Shock and Awe, Let's Discuss Snapjaw!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was thinking something like that too, since Gnawtys were the DKC equivalent of Goombas.

D

Deleted member

It also works as a reference to the first boss of the DKC series, Very Gnawty. :troll:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The Generic Penguin Viking for SM4SH! Just because you don't have a name (or a purpose in life) doesn't mean you shouldn't be here!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I support K.Rool but, I must admit, I've never really paid too much attention to the discussions so I have a question for the mainstays here: which appearance is preferred? The King look? The Kaptain look? The Baron look? The Sluggers look? I'm extremely biased because DKC2 is in my top 5 favorite games of all time so I'd actually prefer the Kaptain look over the significantly more likely King/original look.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I honestly think the King look would be the one they go off of. It's simply the most well known. I wouldn't be surprised if they added Kaptain as an alternate costume, however.

Top Bottom