• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I found another language for the DKC cartoon, so far I found Japanese Dutch and now french!
EDIT: The Kremlings said they'll eat Diddy with peas. Fricasee is also a meat dish. K.Rool planned on eating Diddy!
On the one hand, this clip nicely brings back memories to me (after all, whenever I watched Donkey Kong as a kid, it was the French dub).

On the other hand, I never liked French rap. I much prefer the English version of the Diddy Drop Rap. The rhymes in the French version sound tacked on (of course, seeing as this is a dub) and forced.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Yeah, we can't read into everything. I'm sure many of us remember the KI newcomer/Ghirahim/Ridley speculation that came about when the Pseudo-Palutena, Fi, and King Kihunter trophies were shown in that one Direct and then KI was the only one of those three to receive a newcomer after the fact. (or at all, for that matter)
There also was the Tiki trophy with the Id Purpose song played, and we later got Robin and Lucina. Not only Palutena. Fun fact, maybe those actually were hints to future characters in hindsight: the 3DS trophies were actually hinting towards new characters, while the Wii U ones were hinting towards nothing :laugh:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, we can't read into everything. I'm sure many of us remember the KI newcomer/Ghirahim/Ridley speculation that came about when the Pseudo-Palutena, Fi, and King Kihunter trophies were shown in that one Direct and then KI was the only one of those three to receive a newcomer after the fact. (or at all, for that matter)
We definitely can't say anything for certain, but this is far more of an oddity than the trophy trivia was.

Three games were shown off, and Reggie was doing a variety of activities. All of his activities, except playing DKC and Virtual Boy, were sports-related. Wii Sports and Olympics NES are the other two games. Virtual Boy is quite obvious; its a joke, they constantly joke about it.

As if its bad enough that DKC is the only other non-sports related thing he does, its also specifically from a late game boss that happens to be the only boss that isn't fought directly. And it specifically shows off Kritters coming out.

Yeah, I'd rather brush it off as nothing, but it just seems way too contrived to be a mere coincidence. Why wouldn't they just show off the first level? Why specifically Dumb Drum rather than, say, the first boss? He's not even the final boss before K. Rool. If you want to dig even deeper, its the boss of Kremkroc Industries.

I hate jumping to any sort of conclusions, but... its just a huge oddity.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
been sick so i havnt really been making stuff.
but for now i compiled all of my krool fanart into one big image so that new people can see some of the older ones....click to zoom in for details.

i plan on doing king krusha k.rool next.

and kawaii k.rool looks so awesome! i hope that i can make art as good as you one day bellboy!
Heh, thanks, man! :) I'm quite chuffed with how it's coming out. Anime/manga is not my forte but I'm going places with it which is the best I could hope for!

And you will. Keep at it and keep trying however you can. Don't be afraid to look at stuff for inspiration (even if you're in danger of flat-out copying stuff). Quality comes with time. I'm better now than I was few years ago and I was better then than even further back.
The thing I can really appreciate about your work even just from a glance is your actually trying to make it look good. I mean I'm not trying belittle you or anything but I have seen so...garbage out there and it's because they just don't seem to care. And I'm certain that's not the case with you.
I'm sure you yourself will know that art isn't that easy. It can frustrating to know what you want and struggle to get there and lose heart because of it. I've definitely been there myself and I have had my doubts and struggles too.

Keep at it. I'm 26 years old at time of writing and I've been drawing most of my life. I do it because I enjoy it immensely and I love to create. Your skills and instincts will develop naturally.

Here. I'm going share a philosophy that I happened upon one day and stuck with and gave me the biggest improvement boon I ever had.
I pair it with a phrase that I heard on a TV advert once. A slogan I think they used for campaign to promote the Royal Mail once upon a time. (it was only a brief period but I'll never forget it.)

This is it:
It's the little things that make the big things happen.
I recalled this phrase when I started conscious putting in extra detail to my work. Subtle things. Like animal hairs. Light trails, glistening sparkles on water, faint shadow. Anything to make my picture "pop".
What I tried to do was make my work something that even if they took a segment of it and ignored the rest it would be a nice thing to look at on it's own merit. Like there would be nothing dead.
It's quite a demanding philosophy to be sure but it helped me push myself and it started to come naturally over time.

Here's an example of what I mean. Have you ever heard of thing called "Drawception"? I'm sure some of the frequenters of this forum will have. It's something I've only discovered relatively recently. It's a web game where you are challenged to either describe someone's picture or draw something based on someone else picture.
You are only given 10 minutes to do so regardless.

I play the game occasionally as it can get absolutely bonkers and I can let my imagination run wild. As you can see...!
(And you'll probably see my ugly mug in my avatar!)

Anyway here's the example.

The game asked for a "A beach with two palm trees" in 10 minutes max (with a limited color palette).
The excessive detail is all me but look at what I did. It's grubby and unrefined but I did what I could to make it look nice. To make it special, even if it's only a little bit. Even the most subtle inconsequential thing when paired with a lot of other subtle inconsequential things can make some really cool stuff and go beyond what you could have imagined.
The little things make the big things happen.

Anyway, I hope this can help you improve. I'm trying to give some practical advice that may help in future as you go.
Sorry for talking your ear off. I'm not trying to be a pain. Just trying to be helpful if I can.
Hope you feel better soon!

(One last thing I'll say is don't get rid of ideas. If something is not working just shelve it for the time being. If it's something you believe in just because it's not working now doesn't mean it won't work ever. Under a different scenario. A fresh take.)

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey, @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , you know how you asked whether or not we're mean to Dixie fans?

Well... if we are, it probably goes both ways.

As far as K rool having a major pull on the fan base goes...(Probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but here we go...*prepares bullet proof vest*)
K Rool got a running head start. If I recall correctly the Kampaign originally started as "bring back K rool as a main baddie in the DK games" so naturally when the smash ballot was announced they kinda tacked that on with the original cause meaning that the smash cause got ALOT of supporters grandfathered in with it from the original cause.

I personally think it's ******** that they picked one character and decided to run with it. As soon as the smash ballot was started I think it should have been #DK DOUBLE tacked onto it to show Sakurai how bias he is toward the DK series as a whole. While not intentional that's pretty much how the divide in the DK fan base for DK smash reps started.

I would have supported #DK DOUBLE 150% but since it is clearly divided I will side with Dixie because she doesn't have as much support. The sad thing is that most people want BOTH and until Sakurai announces that we for sure will get multiple picks off the ballot I don't think the fan base will ever be unified for the smash cause.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , you know how you asked whether or not we're mean to Dixie fans?

This person is whining that his preference isn't getting as much support, boo ****ing hoo, I'm close to Bluepikmin when it comes to unpopular picks yet I'm not saying **** to people who don't care about Starfy, Dillon, BDee, Nabbit, etc.
I REALLY hope that Kremling meant something. Probably not though

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'd think if the main concern were to secure another Donkey Kong character in general over either K. Rool or Dixie specifically, the smarter thing to do would be to vote for K. Rool, since he'll be getting the majority of the votes anyway, making votes for Dixie split the vote and make a DK character overall less likely.

I totally agree that they should both be in. If we could vote for as many characters as possible, I'd definitely vote for Dixie as well as K. Rool. Because I assume we're restricted to just one vote (per IP anyway), I went with...well, if you know me, you know who I voted for.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
If something DK related is shown I hope Kremlings are involved. It sucks to be the only one who wasn't excited about the TF trailer when I saw DK was jumping on penguins. My reaction should have been "ANOTHER NEW DKC? AWESOME!!" Instead it was like "you've got to be kidding me..." (Don't get me started on the new and original villain Lord Fredrik)

It was especially funny when people would mention that we should be happy with new stuff while simultaneously wetting their pants over Dixie and David Wise...

Oh also people who hated Kremlings and we're happy with them being gone will sing their praises if Retro brings them back... Much like those bandwagoners did the same to water levels.

StormC

Smash Hero
The Dixie thread. I left out the poster specifically because I didn't want them to get rained on by K. Rool fans, but you can find the original poster easily if you so desired.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Donkey Kong is one of the few series where I wouldn't mind what character got in (within reason, of course) - the only other one I can think of that I feel the same way about is Fire Emblem. They just have universally excellent character designs and some of my favourite characters in vidya.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Who wouldn't want to beat up a Goddess as an ageing primate with a cane who babbles over "The good olden days"?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
DK is in desperate need of characters no matter how you look at it, and while I would like both K. Rool and Dixie, I'd give up Dixie in a heartbeat to get K. Rool, no question.

Cranky can wait for 5mash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The only reason I'd prefer K. Rool over Dixie is because this could be his big break.

We can rest easy knowing Dixie will still be a thing in future games.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

I don't understand posts like this. It's not about "DK reps", it's about getting K. Rool back. It's not even just about getting the character into Smash. His future as a character is in question because he hasn't appeared in a Donkey Kong game in nearly 8 years. Dixie has. I love Dixie as well, but not every K. Rool fan is obligated to feel the same way, nor should we have to "include" her in our campaign just so that her fan's feelings don't get hurt. As long as you aren't antagonistic towards them, we have nothing to feel guilty over. The only thing I feel guilty over is not doing this sooner. Quite frankly, the "Kremling Kampaigner" Twitter account should have been made as soon as Returns was released and the Kremlings were nowhere to be found. But sometimes in life you don't appreciate how important somebody is until they're finally gone. K. Rool is more than just a "SMASH REP" to me, and we need him back.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't understand posts like this. It's not about "DK reps", it's about getting K. Rool back. It's not even just about getting the character into Smash. His future as a character is in question because he hasn't appeared in a Donkey Kong game in nearly 8 years. Dixie has. I love Dixie as well, but not every K. Rool fan is obligated to feel the same way, nor should we have to "include" her in our campaign just so that her fan's feelings don't get hurt. As long as you aren't antagonistic towards them, we have nothing to feel guilty over. The only thing I feel guilty over is not doing this sooner. Quite frankly, the "Kremling Kampaigner" Twitter account should have been made as soon as Returns was released and the Kremlings were nowhere to be found. But sometimes in life you don't appreciate how important somebody is until they're finally gone. K. Rool is more than just a "SMASH REP" to me, and we need him back.
Not everybody feels this way, though. I sorely want the Kremlings to return to the series, and I want K. Rool in Smash more than anything, but that's partially because he overlaps with my desire for more Donkey Kong characters in general. K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, hell even Donkey Kong Jr....I like all of those characters and I want them all to be playable in Smash at some point. Because of this, I'm supportive of the Dixie fanbase, because while one of my goals is for the Kremlings to return, my more immediate interest lies in getting more DK characters in Smash in general. I do think that supporting K. Rool over Dixie, in scenarios in which that sort of decision must be made, is smarter, however, as like I said, K. Rool already has a more solid foundation behind his support. His inclusion over Dixie would also kill two birds with one stone, both bringing in a new DK character while also practically guaranteeing he'll return to his home series.

Not all Dixie supporters care to see K. Rool return to the series, however, and for this reason and others, I do agree with you in that there's really no sense in "merging" the two support groups. It's good to foster cooperation where it's needed and mutual respect in the downtime, but there are K. Rool fans who don't want Dixie at all, and vise versa. There will always be exceptions to the trend among the members who make up larger demographics, and they should be free to express their desires and act upon them as they wish. No one should be obligated to support these characters for the same reasons as anyone else.

tl;dr
Not everyone thinks K. Rool is the best choice because they want him to return to the DK series and sees him as the priority choice because of that, but I do think it would be the most logical to support him first if your ultimate goal really is to just have another DK "rep", regardless of which one it is.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Was this a serious question asked?

Why does it matter? You're an individual with agency, right? Then like or dislike the characters you want. Don't bother with sweeping generalizations of what the "fanbase" should or shouldn't do and just do what you do.

No one is obligated to throw support (or lack thereof) of any other character for arbitrary reasons: such a thing would be incredibly asinine. When it comes to characters, state your case as why you do or don't like them and another individual will likely counter your points to continue debate and discussion.

Bringing up other characters in this thread, whether for support or grievances, is likely off-topic for the K. Rool thread, so it's generally best not to bring it up and argue over it. After all, this isn't the Official Character Discussion Thread.

But why do some feel the need to make baseless claims on how a "fanbase" should or shouldn't treat another certain "fanbase"? All you are doing is falling into a trap of justifying another's own generalizations. Treat people as individuals and have contentions with other individuals instead if you have grievances with their opinions on other characters. I see little what it has to do with K. Rool or his "fanbase", or for any other character for that matter.

StormC

Smash Hero
I was pointing out an example of K. Rool fans being antagonized in the name of Dixie support, in response to something said about the opposite occurring. Don't read too much into it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ toadster101 toadster101 is right, the Kampaign is titled "Bring Back K. Rool" for a reason. I kicked it off July 2014 after Tropical Freeze came out and people largely didn't care about no K. Rool/Kremlings, and when it was looking increasingly like Smash was about to come out with no K. Rool and people were going to tie themselves into pretzels defending this. The characters were about to die silently, and that wasn't going to do.

The movement was intended to push developers toward caring about the character, but its biggest impact ended up being mobilizing the fans for this ballot, which no one could have seen coming. Anyhow, instead of coattailing off of the Kampaign (only after it's proven influential, of course), anyone wanting to push for a character for DLC can open a movement of their own. To my knowledge, we already have Twitter pages for Dixie, Ridley, Snake, Roy, Rayman, Isaac and Banjo. Nothing's stopping anyone from expanding their effort on those or opening a new one. Heck, there's even a DK Rep support thread on Smashboards, so anyone wanting "DK Rep for DLC" can organize there.

Also, food for thought, the most influential votes anyone can cast for this ballot are for characters like K. Rool or Isaac. Nintendo/Sakurai don't need to be told that handfuls of fans like Captain Toad, Inkling, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, etc., because they've seen the feedback about such characters in relation to the new-ish games they've been in. On the other hand, they could easily skip over the K. Rools or Isaacs of the world without a pointed outcry for them to pay attention. Now, with those two being the apparent top vote-getters on the first party newcomer side of things, attention is the very least those characters will be receiving from Nintendo/Sakurai.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Also, food for thought, the most influential votes anyone can cast for this ballot are for characters like K. Rool or Isaac. Nintendo/Sakurai don't need to be told that handfuls of fans like Captain Toad, Inkling, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, etc., because they've seen the feedback about such characters in relation to the new-ish games they've been in. On the other hand, they could easily skip over the K. Rools or Isaacs or the world without a pointed outcry for them to pay attention. Now, with those two being the apparent top vote-getters on the first party newcomer side of things, attention is the very least those characters will be receiving from Nintendo/Sakurai.
Yes. If those semi-important side characters like Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Impa were in the same case as K. Rool where they wouldn't have appeared in a game in their own series for a long time, I'm almost certain no one would seriously vote for them. They're only getting a substantial number of votes because people think that their appearances in recent games automatically make them good picks, not because people actually adore the characters or anything. The fact that our votes for K. Rool are surpassing those of those other ninnies shows that we vote for K. Rool not just because we think he should be in because of some dumb circumstances, but because we truly want him in, regardless of the circumstances. We truly love the character and that's why our unified voices should be the most significant to Sakurai.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
@ toadster101 toadster101 is right, the Kampaign is titled "Bring Back K. Rool" for a reason. I kicked it off July 2014 after Tropical Freeze came out and people largely didn't care about no K. Rool/Kremlings, and when it was looking increasingly like Smash was about to come out with no K. Rool and people were going to tie themselves into pretzels defending this. The characters were about to die silently, and that wasn't going to do.

The movement was intended to push developers toward caring about the character, but its biggest impact ended up being mobilizing the fans for this ballot, which no one could have seen coming. Anyhow, instead of coattailing off of the Kampaign (only after it's proven influential, of course), anyone wanting to push for a character for DLC can open a movement of their own. [...]
About that, there is a very nice thread right there.

StormC

Smash Hero
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 should get a mention in the credits of the next game to feature K. Rool. If nothing else, it will be satisfying to see your hard work and persistence finally pay off.

Speaking of, how would you guys feel about a DKCR3 where as the 100% reward, you can play through the game as K. Rool, Meta Knightmare style? This would be in addition to the Kremlings being the main baddies of the game, natch.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 should get a mention in the credits of the next game to feature K. Rool. If nothing else, it will be satisfying to see your hard work and persistence finally pay off.

Speaking of, how would you guys feel about a DKCR3 where as the 100% reward, you can play through the game as K. Rool, Meta Knightmare style? This would be in addition to the Kremlings being the main baddies of the game, natch.
That would be my absolute favorite DKC game ever. Ever. Holy crap I want to play as K. Rool in his own series so bad.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Not everybody feels this way, though. I sorely want the Kremlings to return to the series, and I want K. Rool in Smash more than anything, but that's partially because he overlaps with my desire for more Donkey Kong characters in general. K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, hell even Donkey Kong Jr....I like all of those characters and I want them all to be playable in Smash at some point. Because of this, I'm supportive of the Dixie fanbase, because while one of my goals is for the Kremlings to return, my more immediate interest lies in getting more DK characters in Smash in general. I do think that supporting K. Rool over Dixie, in scenarios in which that sort of decision must be made, is smarter, however, as like I said, K. Rool already has a more solid foundation behind his support. His inclusion over Dixie would also kill two birds with one stone, both bringing in a new DK character while also practically guaranteeing he'll return to his home series.

Not all Dixie supporters care to see K. Rool return to the series, however, and for this reason and others, I do agree with you in that there's really no sense in "merging" the two support groups. It's good to foster cooperation where it's needed and mutual respect in the downtime, but there are K. Rool fans who don't want Dixie at all, and vise versa. There will always be exceptions to the trend among the members who make up larger demographics, and they should be free to express their desires and act upon them as they wish. No one should be obligated to support these characters for the same reasons as anyone else.

tl;dr
Not everyone thinks K. Rool is the best choice because they want him to return to the DK series and sees him as the priority choice because of that, but I do think it would be the most logical to support him first if your ultimate goal really is to just have another DK "rep", regardless of which one it is.
More like 4 birds with 1 stone
Also need more heavyweights and VILLIANS ontop of what you said.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Don't jump to conclusions, DKC is just an extremely iconic and popular game. Still, it is nice that they actually showcased it in the preview.
Oh yeah I'm not jumping to any conclusion. Just my super hype lustful speculation :p But regardless, they SPECIFICALLY chose to showcase Donkey Kong Country, which means they actually took the time to think, "hey? which game and Why will we show for this part of the skit?" reply: "we should do donkey kong country because blah blah blah." Just sayin ;) AND not to mention he was eating a banana while watching the dkc clip, this really hints at some type of donkey kong SOMETHING for e3! Probably not K. Rool's big announcement obviously but SOMETHING donkey kong for sure.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If there is something Donkey Kong and Kremling related at E3 this year, I will possibly have a heart attack from over joy. I can already see a DK or SSB CG trailer with a bunch of Kremlings about to do battle again with DK and Crew and at some point K. Rool drops in and gives a look at them like " I'm back you annoying monkeys" then takes out and fires his blunderbuss at them with the rest of his army charging at them.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
If there is something Donkey Kong and Kremling related at E3 this year, I will possibly have a heart attack from over joy. I can already see a DK or SSB CG trailer with a bunch of Kremlings about to do battle again with DK and Crew and at some point K. Rool drops in and gives a look at them like " I'm back you annoying monkeys" then takes out and fires his blunderbuss at them with the rest of his army charging at them.
I imagined it would start out showing Donkey and Diddy Kong fighting two other fighters (Mario and Luigi?) and then pan out to show that it's just a screen of the battle. Then as the camera continues to move back a large silhouette of K. Rool sitting on a large chair is seen (DK 64 anyone?). As he watches K. Rool begins laughing and the camera fades black as he slams a button that turns on some kind of device (teleporter?). Going back to the battle the Mario Bros and DK crew are still fighting, only to be interrupted by K. Rool in some way.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Looks like we're in the finals of a GameFAQs poll, which looking at the last few pages, got spammed by 4chan voting for Phoenix Wright instead. We're within winning range, so everyone who hasn't already, vote on GameFAQs and clinch us a victory!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
They are 50/50 now!

Edit: I just posted that poll all over twitter. Once a majority of them see it, we should gain a nice lead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom