• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Mewtwo is a valid argument. The thing is, stage DLC hasn't even been announced yet. Its basically guaranteed to come, it just hasn't been announced yet.

I think the odds are pretty good of getting stage DLC released alongside certain character DLC. K. Rool is a good contender because DKC has no new stages on 3DS. Pokemon and Zelda both have three new stages between the two games.

Likewise, if we get a new IP represented in the game as a playable character, I DEFINITELY expect a stage. Ryu is a maybe since he's third-party, but if we get a Rhythm Heaven charcter or Isaac, I fully expect a stage announced alongside them as playable characters (perhaps there would be a bunlde featuring both a stage and character).
DLC stages are practically confirmed with the Miiverse stage, which technically is DLC (though it was for free right?). And also, New Pork City would be GREAT for 8-Player Smash.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't think Mewtwo is a valid argument. The thing is, stage DLC hasn't even been announced yet. Its basically guaranteed to come, it just hasn't been announced yet.

I think the odds are pretty good of getting stage DLC released alongside certain character DLC. K. Rool is a good contender because DKC has no new stages on 3DS. Pokemon and Zelda both have three new stages between the two games.

Likewise, if we get a new IP represented in the game as a playable character, I DEFINITELY expect a stage. Ryu is a maybe since he's third-party, but if we get a Rhythm Heaven charcter or Isaac, I fully expect a stage announced alongside them as playable characters (perhaps there would be a bunlde featuring both a stage and character).
Wasn't there datamined Street Fighter music aside from the victory theme? I feel like that's pretty telling that there's a stage coming.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Here are the sound file they found:

snd_bgm_F27_AIR_MoriStage_3DS.nus3bank (from Kirby Air Ride)

snd_bgm_H12_BW_Sentou_Zekrom_Reshiram_3DS.nus3bank
snd_bgm_SF01_SF2_Ryu_3DS.nus3bank (Ryu's theme from Street Fighter 2)
snd_bgm_T09_SDX_PupupuLand_3DS.nus3bank (Smash 64 Dreamland music)
snd_bgm_V01_PAC_PacMan_3DS.nus3bank
snd_bgm_Z80_F_Mewtwo_3DS.nus3bank
snd_bgm_Z81_F_Ryu_3DS.nus3bank (his victory theme)
snd_bgm_Z82_F_Lucas_3DS.nus3bank
snd_bgm_Z83_F_Roy_3DS.nus3bank

Each 3DS stage has 2 songs that can play.

There are 2 Kirby songs.

Dreamland 64 and Battlefield have a similar stage layout which may explain why that stage loads instead of another Kirby stage but it could just be a placeholder.

Also there's that Miiverse stage which we still don't have yet for some reason but I guess that's just a free update more than anything.

Still, it's something to keep in mind.

Luigi player

Smash Master
So I wanted to try changing the Paon design again a little to look more like the old K. Rool... this is how it ended (just did this with paint, so don't expect any amazing quality :p):

(left one is mine, right is the original)

I changed the teeth, lower mouth part, belly a little more yellow (golden armor would've been too much work lol), added a tail and of course resized the crown. :)

It's so easy to make K. Rool look so much better, hopefully they do it and not just reuse the Paon design forever...

Last edited:

King*Krool

Smash Apprentice
He will get in. I have boards and close friends changing IP addresses and voting non stop.

The True King will reign again.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm at my uncle's place and I just convinced him to vote for K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. on his computer.

You hear that, Nintendo? My uncle voted for K. Rool. Most definitely him.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't know why so many people dislike the Pain design. Its such an improvement to me.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't know why so many people dislike the Pain design. Its such an improvement to me.
Well, #1 reason is because his original look is just different and I grew up with it.
#2 is his old one just looked more fearsome. now he looks kinda fat, the teeth look a little boring, his head is so wide... and the crown looks a little silly being so small (I also always have to think of Wart). He also had nice scaly skin, the bloodshot eye was bigger, the gold belly looked more king-ly / strong.
#3 the tail makes a big difference as well... crocodiles have tails, tyvm. without one he looks too human-like.. all normal kremlings have a tail :/

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I do just want King K in the game... If I got to choose which version I wanted, I'd most certainly go with the Rare design all the way! He looks so damn maniacal compared to the more friendly/silly looking Paon design imo. I also wouldn't mind them combining the Rare and Paon design into a hybrid.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm not really picky. There are things I like about the Rare design and things I like about the PAON one.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Well, #1 reason is because his original look is just different and I grew up with it.
#2 is his old one just looked more fearsome. now he looks kinda fat, the teeth look a little boring, his head is so wide... and the crown looks a little silly being so small (I also always have to think of Wart). He also had nice scaly skin, the bloodshot eye was bigger, the gold belly looked more king-ly / strong.
#3 the tail makes a big difference as well... crocodiles have tails, tyvm. without one he looks too human-like.. all normal kremlings have a tail :/
I know, it's a bit of self-promotion, but doesn't my design fix these kriteria?

Big krown, muscular arms, the teeth and head from the old design, a golden belly, and a tail. (Only the the scales aren't there, but that's because I couldn't draw them.)
And the legs, hands, and the more upright stance. is from the paon design. (And I chose his brighter colors, because it looks more cartoon-y, like this Smash installment.)

For comparison:

StormC

Smash Hero
I do slightly prefer the darker green skin but it's a pretty minor issue, especially when I usually play with alt colors anyway. As far as design goes, that Rare/PAON combo is absolutely the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I just cooked up a 7th tentative victory theme for K. Rool, this time by editing a portion of the DK Jungle Climbers track: "K. Rool's Cunning Plan".

There it is:
http://picosong.com/jRGc

I have also added the link to the original post on page 688.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
So i think i just raked in more votes for the king. K.rool is one of those characters that has so much going for him that once you enlighten people it's like "why not?!"

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
When I was a kid I remember playing the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Lately I have been watching some of the old songs from the Donkey Kong Country series
And I have to say that those songs made me LOVE K. Rool
I should have done this a long time ago and I probably won't be really active in this thread but still
I'm just leaving here my support with this silly gif of K. Rool dancing I made :p

"Diddy for the Coconut, the Coconut for Diddy!!"

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
When I was a kid I remember playing the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Lately I have been watching some of the old songs from the Donkey Kong Country series
And I have to say that those songs made LOVE K. Rool
I should have done this a long time ago and I probably won't be really active in this thread but still
I'm just leaving here my support with this silly gif of K. Rool dancing I made :p

"Diddy for the Coconut, the Coconut for Diddy!!"

Good to see your support!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It has been awhile since I've posted here. As a DK fan, it is nice to come here and see all of the love for not only the King but the DK series as a whole. I firmly believe this kampaign has brought in new fans for the series and, for that, I thank you all. I wish I could do more. If I ever become a big time director, perhaps I could convince Nintendo into making a DK film if someone hasn't already done it first (and a Metroid film; and a 2D animated Yoshi's Island film).

Hopefully, we will see King K. Rool in Smash this E3. Crosses fingers for Diddy Kong Racing 2.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

CAUSE I'M ONE OF YOU, ONE OF YOU, THE SAME KREW, NOTHIN' I CAN DO, I CAN SEE I'M ONE OF YOU
ONE OF YOU, ONE OF YOU, THE SAME KREW!!

IM REALLY ONE OF YOU!!!! :4dk:
Lol! I really liked the songs from the DKC cartoon. I was so entertained by them. I even watch them again plenty of times.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
So I wanted to try changing the Paon design again a little to look more like the old K. Rool... this is how it ended (just did this with paint, so don't expect any amazing quality :p):

(left one is mine, right is the original)

I changed the teeth, lower mouth part, belly a little more yellow (golden armor would've been too much work lol), added a tail and of course resized the crown. :)

It's so easy to make K. Rool look so much better, hopefully they do it and not just reuse the Paon design forever...
It's defintley an improvement. I still wonder why Nintendo decided to shrink his crown and make him lose his tail after the Rare buyout yet keep all the kremlings the same, makes no sense to me.

I know, it's a bit of self-promotion, but doesn't my design fix these kriteria?

Big krown, muscular arms, the teeth and head from the old design, a golden belly, and a tail. (Only the the scales aren't there, but that's because I couldn't draw them.)
And the legs, hands, and the more upright stance. is from the paon design. (And I chose his brighter colors, because it looks more cartoon-y, like this Smash installment.)

For comparison:
Now that's a new design I could live with, I like how he looks mostly like his Rare one. If Nintendo is giving him a redesign which is the reason he's being held back from ssb4 right now then I hope it's something like this.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
I'm one of the only people who agree... The main improvements I notice are his proportions and the fact that he can make more than one facial expression.

ESPECIALLY when he's head on facing you with his mouth closed...You could actually see he has a lower jaw. (I swear that Kaptain K. Rool pic where he's facing the camera has a deer in the headlights look to it... was it the angle of his head? also why were his hands so large in DKC2 and 3?)

The only problem I have is the lack of a tail... But if it comes between having a long cape and having a tail, cape wins every time. The cape was shortened in DK64 and in Melee the K. Rool trophy had a little nub of a tail. The golden gut, I could give or take as it wasn't really much to me. The crown was GIANT in the older design (it looks just as goofy when it's halfway off of his head as it does when it's tiny) I think the TV show made his crown kind of cone shaped so that it fits of his head and still be wide. I don't know they did SOMETHING to make that crown not pop off of the back of his head... But if K. Rool starts dressing up again we won't really see the crown too much. So it doesn't bother me as much as everyone else.

StormC

Smash Hero
Something about K. Rool's Jungle Climber artwork looks... off. He looks much better in-game, in JC or otherwise.

Really like his King Of Swing art, though.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I'm one of the only people who agree... The main improvements I notice are his proportions and the fact that he can make more than one facial expression.

ESPECIALLY when he's head on facing you with his mouth closed...You could actually see he has a lower jaw. (I swear that Kaptain K. Rool pic where he's facing the camera has a deer in the headlights look to it... was it the angle of his head? also why were his hands so large in DKC2 and 3?)

The only problem I have is the lack of a tail... But if it comes between having a long cape and having a tail, cape wins every time. The cape was shortened in DK64 and in Melee the K. Rool trophy had a little nub of a tail. The golden gut, I could give or take as it wasn't really much to me. The crown was GIANT in the older design (it looks just as goofy when it's halfway off of his head as it does when it's tiny) I think the TV show made his crown kind of cone shaped so that it fits of his head and still be wide. I don't know they did SOMETHING to make that crown not pop off of the back of his head... But if K. Rool starts dressing up again we won't really see the crown too much. So it doesn't bother me as much as everyone else.
This image remind of another image...

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of the few that actually doesn't mind his PAON design. It has its ups and downs and so does the Rareware one. Overall I like the head of PAON's more as it can do more facial expressions but prefer the Tail of the older one. Also I wish the muscles on his arms were more defined and not fat looking.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of the few that actually doesn't mind his PAON design. It has its ups and downs and so does the Rareware one. Overall I like the head of PAON's more as it can do more facial expressions but prefer the Tail of the older one. Also I wish the muscles on his arms were more defined and not fat looking.
I've said it time and again but the reason why I adore the PAON design so, more than the Rare one is the whole "bruiser" look he has.
The muscular arms on top of the girth is a klassic look in my opinion and make him physically more intimidating. Which is never a bad thing for a bad guy!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My opinion would be that both designs have something to recommend them.

The Rare design radiates wickedness and carries across the point that this is a bad guy. He's the bad guy - you couldn't mistake him for a mere grunt or even a minion of any kind. He's quite clearly in charge. Not to mention that the design is rather striking: the bloodshot eye, large claws, rippling muscles and feral jaws are more than a little creepy, it's the kind of guy you don't want to mess with. On a more practical note, the enlarged krown is better for throwing, and the golden armour cover his species' innate weakness well. He just looks demented and demonic, it really fits his name and his personality.

On the other hand, the Paon design is a lot more expressive and arguably fits the cartoon ambiance of the series better (you may disagree with this, of course, as the games have always been a bit dark within their aesthetically happy-go-lucky environments). It also has brighter colours and a more rounded appearance that would fit well into Smash - you can see him really going wild with that nasty smile and bumbling mannerisms. The only issues I really have with it are that it's lacking the tail and the golden belly, which I feel were subtle yet important aspects of his original design. I'm not too concerned with the krown, though maybe making it a bit bigger for practical reasons would be a good idea, and if he just looked more robust overall it might embellish his role as the intimidating final boss character.

I think a synthesis of both design would be very cool - my ideal K. Rool would be the Paon design with a tail and golden belly, maybe with a longer snout and bigger krown. Overall, though, I don't think it's a poor design at all and I think it's nice that his design can evolve and transform as the series does itself.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
Actually for someone K. Rool's size, his arms are very muscular in the PAON model. Guys who are bulkier and buff have arms that look more like that than the tight looking biceps of a leaner person. It's kind of the difference between a swimmer and a football player. Both are muscular but their proportions are COMPLETELY different.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hopefully King K. Rool gets an Smash redesign like Bowser which combines both Rare and Paon best traits. That is one advantage of being a neglected character; you can look quite different from your main games since they happened so long ago.
But in the end I believe we all should be ready to embrace the Paon design just in case.
And a bit(a lot) off topic: one of the reasons I don't support Banjo-Kazooie as much as K. Rool is that Im certain we would get the Nuts n' Bolts blocksnouted stoned eyes design.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm also fully expecting animal grunts and growls, but I will cry and offer praise to Sakurai if we get an actual human being doing the noises.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think the Klassic design is awesome but of course that's what I grew up with I also like the PAON design. The one design reflects his insanity and animosity well. The other reflects his goofyness and oafishness both have their pluses and minuses. I could see Sakurai designing a meet in the middle look. Either way I just want King K. Rool.....I'm also expecting animal hurts but hopefully we will have a hint of his iconic UUUAAAGHHHH sound in there somewhere.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we're in the finals of a GameFAQs poll, which looking at the last few pages, got spammed by 4chan voting for Phoenix Wright instead. We're within winning range, so everyone who hasn't already, vote on GameFAQs and clinch us a victory!
Reminding people of this poll! Let's get a win for K, Rool if you haven't already voted!

Top Bottom