• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know, I've been thinking about starting up a "Notable Links" section of the OP...not adding in an entire library of stuff like the old one, but putting in a few things newcomers might be interested in seeing upon a first visit. Stuff like the @Zombie Saurian and Daeyrat movesets, the Smashified video, the victory theme, the Gators Gonna Gate GIF when it gets finished...it'd be a neat little section to flesh things out.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Hahahaha... Awakening gives everything to be the ultimate "awakening" of the series... Yeah, some stupid pun here xD... Be loved (and hated) for a lot of people... and maybe Fire Emblem will left to be a "niche series" forever (Fire Emblem If is getting more notable support from Nintendo than all the other Fire Emblem games).

This sounds controversial, but I have a question...

Smash's Fandoms related (fans) with DK characters have problems with Robin and Palutena inclussion over characters like Dixie and K. Rool?

Is only my weird curiosity.
I don't think that's an accurate statement to say simply DK fans have problems with them but rather anyone who hasn't played / doesn't like fire emblem/kid Icarus games share that opinion. I think what it is, and this kind of goes for myself including, is that as people, we don't like having these newly created characters pushed on us when for years we've waited for our favorites to get in. It feels like our opinions and say-so are disregarded, and as people in rebound, we react very negatively to these "new, unheard of, bias chosen" characters. I think that's where the problem lies. I personally don't like how Nintendo is pushing fire emblem, probably and mostly because I'm a classic Nintendo kid. This ecchi, anime-esque, redundant game doesn't match up well with games like Super Mario 64, and Pokemon stadium etc. The Nintendo I grew up with focused on gameplay and unique environments.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't think that's an accurate statement to say simply DK fans have problems with them but rather anyone who hasn't played / doesn't like fire emblem/kid Icarus games share that opinion. I think what it is, and this kind of goes for myself including, is that as people, we don't like having these newly created characters pushed on us when for years we've waited for our favorites to get in. It feels like our opinions and say-so are disregarded, and as people in rebound, we react very negatively to these "new, unheard of, bias chosen" characters. I think that's where the problem lies. I personally don't like how Nintendo is pushing fire emblem, probably and mostly because I'm a classic Nintendo kid. This ecchi, anime-esque, redundant game doesn't match up well with games like Super Mario 64, and Pokemon stadium etc. The Nintendo I grew up with focused on gameplay and unique environments.
I remember those days.. Saturation comes around sooner or later I guess.., but either way, I am glad to be a long-time Nintendo fan so that I can remember how it use to be and compare/contrast.

StormC

Smash Hero
This sounds controversial, but I have a question...

Smash's Fandoms related (fans) with DK characters have problems with Robin and Palutena inclussion over characters like Dixie and K. Rool?

Is only my weird curiosity.
Palutena was one of my character requests so nope.

Robin was a great choice for a Fire Emblem character. Awakening getting a new character is fair for its massive success. It was really just bad timing that led to Dixie and K. Rool's exclusion, as Tropical Freeze was still in the early stages of development and DKCR had nothing new to show for itself.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
[...]This ecchi [...] game[...]
Nah. That is ecchi:

(Why hello beautiful. Wanna know how I got these scars?)

The Nintendo I grew up with focused on gameplay and unique environments.
The content! Why does nobody ever mention the content? People flipped out back in the day when Miyamoto announced that there were 8 friggin worlds in Super Mario Bros. Back then, 5 worlds were considered to be a lot! So people went bonkers and bought the **** out of Mario, for the same reason they buy the **** out of Smash Bros nowadays.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Nah. That is ecchi:

(Why hello beautiful. Wanna know how I got these scars?)

The content! Why does nobody ever mention the content? People flipped out back in the day when Miyamoto announced that there were 8 friggin worlds in Super Mario Bros. Back then, 5 worlds were considered to be a lot! So people went bonkers and bought the **** out of Mario, for the same reason they buy the **** out of Smash Bros nowadays.
But that character is meant to be ecchi. Fire emblem is what Nintendo is pushing towards, this polished, ecchi, etc. etc. rant rant. blah blah blah. Either way reflecting back, I'm very biased and want what I want. Sorry fire emblem and kid icarus, I'm not much of a fan.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
But that character is meant to be ecchi. Either way reflecting back, I'm very biased and want what I want. Sorry fire emblem and kid icarus, I'm not much of a fan.
Sadly..I have to agree. I consider myself to have only played the video games that most people had. Didn't get to play games much back in the day UNTIL I was given a Sega Genesis and my first game ever was Sonic 2 (which came with the system). Later on, I played Super Mario Bros. for Gameboy Color (also came with the system) then got an N64 with Super Mario 64 included. The only time I got to play this game called "Donkey Kong Country" was when I visited my grandparents..and oh boy that was always my favorite game on this console called the "SUPER Nintendo". I also loved Killer Instinct and Super Mario World. I had never heard of Metroid, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, or even Legend of Zelda until later on.. Down the road I'd heard so much about Ocarina of Time being a great game though.. DK 64 was my Ocarina of Time lol.. I can't remember what was next after that..besides I started playing WoW and then..everything changed lmao. Wouldn't recommend starting that game for anyone who has thought of doing so... It was very addicting.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Thaaaank you. :3
[I'd put Kid Icarus in this complaint too,.. but you know.. Sakurai game...]

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Didn't get to address it earlier, but @ StormC StormC brought up "nostalgia" in reference to K. Rool, how he sometimes gets smeared as being a character people only care about because of nostalgia. First off, looking at all the people in this thread who haven't or have barely played the old DKCs, or just recently started playing them, that's patently untrue. Second...why the bloody heck is "nostalgia" being used as a pejorative buzzword in relation to a goddamn Smash Bros. game?

This is a series that would be absolutely nothing, a niche one-off starring stick figures on the N64, without the nostalgic thrill of Nintendo All-Stars fighting on iconic Nintendo locales using game-inspired attacks. Can people really be that ignorant? Honestly, what characters are people requesting for Smash without nostalgia as a driving factor? There's whatever bandwagon characters are currently in upcoming games or trendy leaks, but otherwise, pretty much everyone wants their character because they enjoy something they've seen of that character in the past, be it in a game, a cartoon, an online post, whatever.

Rant over, heh. Personally, nostalgia, appreciation of character and excitement over moveset are the big reasons I want K. Rool in Smash. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm not alone in those being big reasons for others as well.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Rant over, heh. Personally, nostalgia, appreciation of character and excitement over moveset are the big reasons I want K. Rool in Smash. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm not alone in those being big reasons for others as well.
For me, it's those in addition to immortalizing K. Rool as a Nintendo all-star and guaranteeing his return to DKC proper.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Fire Emblem has been around for decades and has earned its rightful place alongside Nintendo's other legendary franchises. I have no problems with the recent push it's been receiving. Kid Icarus on the other hand? It would still be dead right now if Sakurai hadn't revived the franchise himself. I don't resent the fact that Palutena is a playable character, but I do resent the fact that she is a playable character before King K. Rool. It's all about priorities. From here on out, I don't care who they add. I just find it disturbing that Nintendo's third most iconic villain behind Bowser and Ganon is still not playable, and nobody seems to understand why.

Except me. I'm a crazy person who has an even crazier theory. Please hear me out.

Speculation:

- Retro Studios is currently working on two titles; a third Donkey Kong Country game for Wii U, and Metroid for NX
- Sakurai wanted K. Rool in Smash, but he was deliberately held back because Retro is working on a redesign for DKCR3
- Retro completed their Metroid Prime trilogy before moving onto another franchise, and history tends to repeat itself
- Out of all of the top newcomer picks for SSB4, K. Rool is the only character unaccounted for. Ridley is a boss, Mewtwo is DLC, and the rest (Mega Man, Palutena, etc.) are all playable. I don't think this is a coincidence. And I don't think Sakurai hates K. Rool either.

Facts:

- Michael Kelbaugh mysteriously began following the Kremling Kampaign Twitter account last year
- Tropical Freeze had fewer levels than DKCR, and concept art teased a "hidden moon world" that never came to fruition
- Also cut from the finished product was an achievement system, discovered by hackers in February 2015
- Kensuke Tanabe teased their plans for the future, admitting that he wishes they had "done more with the Animal Buddies"

What does this all mean? Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Katastrophe is coming, and it's slated for a spring 2016 release. Many fans have speculated that the ballot is a sham, but what if it is a sham... for K. Rool? Nintendo knew K. Rool would win the ballot, so he was intentionally held back as DLC so he could be revealed alongside a new DKC title at E3, complete with a brand new redesign courtesy of Retro Studios. Imagine how hyped everybody would be if they unveiled Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Katastrophe, then immediately announced K. Rool as the first ballot winner. The excitement would be unreal, and K. Rool's popularity would explode.

"Millions of dedicated fans have cast their votes since the Super Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot launched in April. Your voices have been heard, and Donkey Kong's arch nemesis King K. Rool will be available as a downloadable fighter this coming spring when Donkey Kong Country™: Kremling Katastrophe, the latest installment in Retro's DKC series, hits store shelves and the Nintendo eShop. Thank you for your ongoing support, and please look forward to hearing about our next ballot winner sometime in the near future."

Tropical Freeze was supposed to come out in 2013, so a 2016 release for the hypothetical Kremling Katastrophe wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Imagine you are in Satoru Iwata's shoes. Which scenario would generate more hype and positive PR?

1) K. Rool is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

OR

2) K. Rool is held back as DLC, wins a popularity contest, and launches alongside a new DKC title that coincidentally stars K. Rool and his band of Kremling Kutthroats

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fire Emblem has been around for decades and has earned its rightful place alongside Nintendo's other legendary franchises. I have no problems with the recent push it's been receiving. Kid Icarus on the other hand? It would still be dead right now if Sakurai hadn't revived the franchise himself. I don't resent the fact that Palutena is a playable character, but I do resent the fact that she is a playable character before King K. Rool. It's all about priorities. From here on out, I don't care who they add. I just find it disturbing that Nintendo's third most iconic villain behind Bowser and Ganon is still not playable, and nobody seems to understand why.

Except me. I'm a crazy person who has an even crazier theory. Please hear me out.

Speculation:

- Retro Studios is currently working on two titles; a third Donkey Kong Country game for Wii U, and Metroid for NX
- Sakurai wanted K. Rool in Smash, but he was deliberately held back because Retro is working on a redesign for DKCR3
- Retro completed their Metroid Prime trilogy before moving onto another franchise, and history tends to repeat itself
- Out of all of the top newcomer picks for SSB4, K. Rool is the only character unaccounted for. Ridley is a boss, Mewtwo is DLC, and the rest (Mega Man, Palutena, etc.) are all playable. I don't think this is a coincidence. And I don't think Sakurai hates K. Rool either.

Facts:

- Michael Kelbaugh mysteriously began following the Kremling Kampaign Twitter account last year
- Tropical Freeze had fewer levels than DKCR, and concept art teased a "hidden moon world" that never came to fruition
- Also cut from the finished product was an achievement system, discovered by hackers in February 2015
- Kensuke Tanabe teased their plans for the future, admitting that he wishes they had "done more with the Animal Buddies"

What does this all mean? Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Katastrophe is coming, and it's slated for a spring 2016 release. Many fans have speculated that the ballot is a sham, but what if it is a sham... for K. Rool? Nintendo knew K. Rool would win the ballot, so he was intentionally held back as DLC so he could be revealed alongside a new DKC title at E3, complete with a brand new redesign courtesy of Retro Studios. Imagine how hyped everybody would be if they unveiled Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Katastrophe, then immediately announced K. Rool as the first ballot winner. The excitement would be unreal, and K. Rool's popularity would explode.

"Millions of dedicated fans have cast their votes since the Super Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot launched in April. Your voices have been heard, and Donkey Kong's arch nemesis King K. Rool will be available as a downloadable fighter this coming spring when Donkey Kong Country™: Kremling Katastrophe, the latest installment in Retro's DKC series, hits store shelves and the Nintendo eShop. Thank you for your ongoing support, and please look forward to hearing about our next ballot winner sometime in the near future."

Tropical Freeze was supposed to come out in 2013, so a 2016 release for the hypothetical Kremling Katastrophe wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Imagine you are in Satoru Iwata's shoes. Which scenario would generate more hype and positive PR?

1) K. Rool is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

OR

2) K. Rool is held back as DLC, wins a popularity contest, and launches alongside a new DKC title that coincidentally stars K. Rool and his band of Kremling Kutthroats

I've never wanted a game that hasn't been confirmed even more than this. Well, maybe Metroid Prime 4 EDIT: RETRO'S ALSO WORKING ON SOMETHING OR MULTIPLE GAMES! IT ALL ADDS UP

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I dunno if I kroc'd the vote...
But I can say now that I certainly voted the kroc ifyaknowhatimsayin'

edit:lol accidentally censored.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
All I know is, if K. Rool is konfirmed, I can probably safely mentally check out of Smash speculation forever. Free me, Sakurai.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman

Speculation:

Facts:

OR

This all makes sense now... I really want this to be true! D:
Nintendo, Retro Studios, Sakurai... TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Speculation:

Facts:

OR

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Though I feel like Retro may be working on Diddy Kong racing AND DKCR3 and someone else is making Metroid but other than that you stole the thoughts right out of my head....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Though I feel like Retro may be working on Diddy Kong racing AND DKCR3 and someone else is making Metroid but other than that you stole the thoughts right out of my head....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
I do think they're more likely working on Diddy Kong Racing than DKCR3.

Personally, I don't think Retro is doing DKCR3 -yet-. I do think they will do it, though, after they release a project they've been working on for some time... *hint*

Still, I'd love it if the next DKC is actually Kremling/Krocodile Katastrophe.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Actually, DKC: Kremling Katastrophe is a great subtitle... I can already imagine going back to Kremling-infested crazy levels, swamps, mountains, factories... Wouldn't it be great if K. Rool during all this time of absence was conquering other islands to build up his strength and release an all-out attack on DK isle as Konquistador K. Rool? The Kongs would start with getting rid off the Krems who already installed in DK isle during the invasion, but they just keep on coming because of the constant influx of reinforcements, so they're forced to travel to the Kremling conquered isles and foil the plans of the Kremling Krew leaders of each one (Klump, Krusha, Kludge, and maybe enemies from the past like a resurrected Kleever, Necky Sr...), until reaching K. Rool's headquarters, Crocodile Isle, back again from the deep of the seas!!

Hmm, now I'll be extremely disappointed if this doesn't end up happening... :glare:

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Last edited:
These are all great but what is number 3 from?
that is a part of the song from the secret "lost world" from donkey kong country 2

the purple and blue volcano is the kremling kore which keeps kremling island afloat,it might even be the source of k.rools powers(invisibility)....you fight kaptain k rool here for the second time.

here is the song

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
that is a part of the song from the secret "lost world" from donkey kong country 2

the purple and blue volcano is the kremling kore which keeps kremling island afloat,it might even be the source of k.rools powers(invisibility)....you fight kaptain k rool here for the second time.

here is the song
That explains it, never beaten the lost world in DKC2 before. I have only completed the DKC3 lost world.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This really puts in perspective, though. Metroid has such a small sell point namely due to a very narrow span of games, namely in the Pre-64 era for such a Nintendo franchise and frankly a really narrow set of repeating characters.
If there was a metroid on the N64 it would have helped alot.
Could you imagine if Rare devolped it?
And it had multiplayer?
Would have been one of the best games ever made imo.

Rares multiplyer was top notch for pretty much everything they touched in the N64 days.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
All in all if I wanted to get
I have never played DKC3 :)
You should get it on Wii U then if you have one. I didn't play it til I was like 13 ish, 18 now, and played the first two my whole life. Definitely worth it, the environments in dkc3 are really unique.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
All in all if I wanted to get

You should get it on Wii U then if you have one. I didn't play it til I was like 13 ish, 18 now, and played the first two my whole life. Definitely worth it, the environments in dkc3 are really unique.
Is the whole DKC trilogy on WiiU VC?
I only just played and finished DKC2 just last year...need to play it again ******** how good that game is compared to #1 and #1 was goood finished it like 3,4 times lol and played since young.

Because i aint gottta SNES i played DKC1 on GBC. DKC2 was never on GBC.
Got a GBA but didnt know about DKC2 being on it or just forgot dunno...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is the whole DKC trilogy on WiiU VC?
I only just played and finished DKC2 just last year...need to play it again ******** how good that game is compared to #1 and #1 was goood finished it like 3,4 times lol and played since young.

Because i aint gottta SNES i played DKC1 on GBC. DKC2 was never on GBC.
Got a GBA but didnt know about DKC2 being on it or just forgot dunno...
All DKC games are on Wii U VC as well as DK64 and King of Swing, with Jungle Climber very likely coming soon. Also DK Land 1-3 are on 3DS VC.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who really didn't like the GBA versions of the games? They just seemed like crappy, down-scaled on art, versions of the original games. Took away from the feeling I got from the SNES versions a LOT with the light values.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Am I the only one who really didn't like the GBA versions of the games? They just seemed like crappy, down-scaled on art, versions of the original games. Took away from the feeling I got from the SNES versions a LOT with the light values.
I can see what you mean. The art does look weird when scaled down. Although the music in the first two GBA games were flawed some, I personally liked the music in Donkey Kong Country 3 for the GBA. I do like the original soundtrack better, but the GBA soundtrack is good to me, like the GBA Rockface Rumble music. Feel free to disagree, but that is just what I think.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3 was great because it featured an entirely new soundtrack courtesy of David Wise, new levels, and new mini-games that have cameos from Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong. The other two aren't worth it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
DKC and DKC2 GBA did have new minigames as well, but it didn't have anything else substantial. DKC3 did have the new levels and soundtrack, though, so its a huge plus.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
It's funny that we're currently discussing the GBA versions of Donkey Kong Country, because I remember I played the first two installments on a SNES I borrowed, and I played the third one on my GBA thinking that it was a new game for the series I previously played for the SNES. It's only since recently I figured that it was a remake and was initially released for the SNES like the other games, and that those got their GBA remakes as well :laugh:

Anyway, I'm happy to see that DKC3 seems to have the best GBA remake. If only I could find the cartridge... I'll gladly play it once again if I do. I recently beaten DKC1 and DKC2 I downloaded from the Wii U e-Shop, so why not beat the entire trilogy?

I also remember this level from DKC3 where controls were reversed for the entire duration of the level... it was so satisfying to beat ahah.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Funny, I'm listening to the DKC3 GBA OST right now.

The visuals and audio definitely suffered but DKC3 had some neat new content to make it worthwhile. They're interesting to play if you've played the SNES versions to compare with, but definitely not replacements for the originals.

I also remember this level from DKC3 where controls were reversed for the entire duration of the level... it was so satisfying to beat ahah.
That'd be Poisonous Pipeline.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Funny, I'm listening to the DKC3 GBA OST right now.

The visuals and audio definitely suffered but DKC3 had some neat new content to make it worthwhile. They're interesting to play if you've played the SNES versions to compare with, but definitely not replacements for the originals.

That'd be Poisonous Pipeline.
That level was hype. I'm a minority but I think I enjoyed DKC3 the most out of the trilogy. DKC1 is classic and I'm skilled enough to blitz through it through my dedicated childhood time with it (those things don't leave you). But DKC3 was a great adventure. Like a story playing out before you in what way it could.
DKC2 is too hard for me have great feeling on. I beat it in recent years for the first time but it was stupid in it's difficulty (like "I'm no longer able to enjoy it for what it's offering" difficult). Almost not worth it. I had no real fun by the end. Nothing even grabbed design-wise.

...Dunno where the mini-review came from but I'm aiming to finish my GIF tonight. BKupa has seen it in it's near complete form because I wanted to clarify stuff with him before I finished up (last minute changes, what he wants from it as it was his idea in the first place, what have you).
I only have a few frames to finish up and then the thought bubble stuff and then I'm done.

Please Understand.

Top Bottom