• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
DKC2 and 3 are both good enough that I think it comes down to mostly personal preference. I used to prefer 3, but I find myself slightly liking 2 more these days due to the (secret) ending, soundtrack, and Diddy/Dixie combo. But they're both two of the best games for the SNES.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the Japanese version of the DKC cartoon made K.Rool a more serious villain, in the Diddy Drop rap he whines "He broke my coconut!" in the Japanese version, I can make out "Crap, the snow's falling!"
Please, don't let this be his smash voice...

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
DKC1 on GBA was good! I really liked the score attack and how they kept track of the Kong letters for the levels.

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
I think the Japanese version of the DKC cartoon made K.Rool a more serious villain, in the Diddy Drop rap he whines "He broke my coconut!" in the Japanese version, I can make out "Crap, the snow's falling!"
Please, don't let this be his smash voice...
Fun fact: King K Rool's voice in Jungle Climber\Barrel Blast\Sugglers is preformed by Toshihide Tsuchiya who also did Guile's voice in MVC2 and Alpha 3.

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of curious what Nintendo will do once they're officially done with the Wii U. There will be a lot of DLC that future gamers will be unable to purchase when eShop is eventually dropped, so I'm curious if Nintendo will release something like those "GOTY Editions" (like how they have almost all the DLC and etc.).

I really hope they spend more time working on 5mash, though. Sm4sh is amazing (and I hope they keep the art style), but a lot of parts felt unfinished and bare. Master Orders/Special Orders REALLY could have been something amazing (like Tower of Smash), there were WAY too many returning stages rather than new stages (and some of the new "retro" stages just felt lazy. I mean, Pac-Land could have been all 3D, not pixelated). The 3DS version shouldn't have existed at ALL (I have never picked it up since I completed it, whereas the Wii U version is a different story), and there were a TON of stages that should have been on the Wii U (Pac-Maze, Green Hill Zone, Magicant, Balloon Fight, Paper Mario). Classic mode on Wii U and 3DS could have been a lot better too. The Wii U Classic mode felt kinda lazy, the 3DS one was kinda pointless (you always go on the path with more coins, there's not really anything hard puzzling about that), and they both shouldn't have had the difficulty thing from Kid Icarus (yes, it was good, but it took way too much inspiration from Kid Icarus, when Smash is a celebration of Nintendo, not Sakurai). Ridley should have been a character (there is a good way to make him work if you've seen the Brawl mod), and the game should have had a lot less advertising (Woolly World, Mushroom Kingdom U, and Kalos PokeMon League).

Smash Bros. is all about Nintendo history, not promoting new games (unless you have enough stages for each series to do so).

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Toshihide isn't a good VA for K.Rool, whoever did K.Rool in 64 is easily the best imo, shame the only person being called K.Rool's 64 VA says he didn't voice him
And yet the credits at the end mention his name as part of the support team, maybe he's just denying it for some odd reason. Even Grant Kirkhope won't tell me who voiced him and he was actually involved in it.

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
Toshihide isn't a good VA for K.Rool, whoever did K.Rool in 64 is easily the best imo, shame the only person being called K.Rool's 64 VA says he didn't voice him
Well acording to Behind the Voice Actors, Kevin Bayliss was the voice actor for K rool in 64.
And I agree he is the best voice for K Rool.
Though I think the'll go to the Animalistic route with K rool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And yet the credits at the end mention his name as part of the support team, maybe he's just denying it for some odd reason. Even Grant Kirkhope won't tell me who voiced him and he was actually involved in it.
Is Bayliss ashamed of his role then? Or is it genuinely someone who no one knows? Best thing I can think of is asking Playtonic

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well acording to Behind the Voice Actors, Kevin Bayliss was the voice actor for K rool in 64.
And I agree he is the best voice for K Rool.
Though I think the'll go to the Animalistic route with K rool.
I really REALLY loved K. Rool's voice in DK64, it matched his evil phychotic and humurous character. I loved when he went "Hooo!" and Yeeeaah C'mon!"

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Is Bayliss ashamed of his role then? Or is it genuinely someone who no one knows? Best thing I can think of is asking Playtonic
That's a good idea. I'd hope Kevin Bayliss would'nt be ashamed of his role as it, especially if Nintendo still used his voice for Diddy in post Rareware games.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm kind of curious what Nintendo will do once they're officially done with the Wii U. There will be a lot of DLC that future gamers will be unable to purchase when eShop is eventually dropped, so I'm curious if Nintendo will release something like those "GOTY Editions" (like how they have almost all the DLC and etc.).
GOTY edition would be neat to have the DLC characters on the boxart.

ISmash Bros. is all about Nintendo history, not promoting new games (unless you have enough stages for each series to do so).
Stages being based primarily on recent games has been the case since Melee, really. I agree though that there should have been more secondary stages based on older games (especially seeing how Zelda and Pokemon got two stages on 3DS and only one on Wii U).

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I love this. You should do a "Gators gonna gate" at the top and change the background from white if possible.
Way ahead of ya. BKupa asked for plain white (to begin with) background.

I'll see what happens down the road. I'd like to take a break from this once I've got the bubble version completed.
It may not seem like it but I've been working on this thing non-stop since I offered to do it. I'm just a perfectionist is all.

This simple GIF has went through so much refinement and adjusting as I've went (it was originally a pose-for-pose redo of the original GIF it was based on and then I kept tweaking to make it more true to K. Rool's physique and posture. As much as I could muster anyway), often at the expense of progress.
It was a pain at times but I'm happy enough to do it.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

75% size

Edit: Btw, these things are done with 1.1 frame delay with Photoshop. Any quicker (like 0 for instance) in my opinion just makes the snap back to the front position too sharp. Especially when I've neglected to animate the cape it would be pretty jarring.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
So i have to do a persuasive speech for a class this week and my teacher let me do oe on why king k.rool should be in smash. could a helpful kutthroat give me a breif summary on the most notable key points commonly used? also, i recall seeing poll results for japan and america on previous non-smash ballot polls way earlier i the thread in pie-chart format. that would be most useful for slides but i seem to have misplaced them

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So i have to do a persuasive speech for a class this week and my teacher let me do oe on why king k.rool should be in smash. could a helpful kutthroat give me a breif summary on the most notable key points commonly used? also, i recall seeing poll results for japan and america on previous non-smash ballot polls way earlier i the thread in pie-chart format. that would be most useful for slides but i seem to have misplaced them
@PushDustIn made that poll (sorry for tagging you all the time buddy)
Popularity, potential, what he represents (DK character, villain, heavyweight), iconic design

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, theres the huge moveset potential he has (blunderbuss,crown,kannonballs,electricity,helipack,boxing gloves). Then theres the fact that he is one of two iconic Nintendo villains that has yet to be playable in the game for Nintendo all stars.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I do think they're more likely working on Diddy Kong Racing than DKCR3.

Personally, I don't think Retro is doing DKCR3 -yet-. I do think they will do it, though, after they release a project they've been working on for some time... *hint*

Still, I'd love it if the next DKC is actually Kremling/Krocodile Katastrophe.
The only reason I think they're working on a third DKC is because of an interview Retro did before TF where they talked about how a potential 3D DK could be similar to SM3DW. Idunno it's just a feeling I have....I'd be good with that or DKR as long as one of them or both feature King K. Rool.

However i also think it could be possible that they may fuse the ideas for a DKC 3 and DKR to make a racing/adventure title that has platforming and racing. Not like Nuts n Bolts though... More platforming. It could utalize the animal buddies more and bring K. Rool back as a major villain.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Just wondering but how did some of you guys react when the tiki's became the main villain of DKC return instead of the Kremlings and K. Rool?

I for one was hugely disappointed. The tiki's were just uninteresting enemies. The snowmads in tropical freeze were at least somewhat more interesting and cooler than the tiki's but still not the same as the Kremlings.

Let's just hope they bring back K. Rool and the Kremlings along with the Zingers in DKC 6. Going back to their roots.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

75% size

Edit: Btw, these things are done with 1.1 frame delay with Photoshop. Any quicker (like 0 for instance) in my opinion just makes the snap back to the front position too sharp. Especially when I've neglected to animate the cape it would be pretty jarring.
Are you going to make this a youtube vid with the Interior Crocodile Alligator song I posted in my last response to this? like I said, it's perfect, just seeing him strut here saying gators gonna gate, all you need is the troll music in the background and it's a win.

StormC

Smash Hero
You're far braver than I to do such an incredibly geeky project for school. I just want to share two tips.

1. Keep it simple. You could do a whole class course on Smash, Nintendo's history, and Sakurai's creative process.

2. Appeal to students' (who I assume is the audience) nostalgia.

lordrogersmith6485

Smash Cadet
Are you going to make this a youtube vid with the Interior Crocodile Alligator song I posted in my last response to this? like I said, it's perfect, just seeing him strut here saying gators gonna gate, all you need is the troll music in the background and it's a win.
It's already a win :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's a really interesting project idea. Just brainstorming, one way to go about it would be to talk about Smash as a source of fun and as a museum of Nintendo's history. Then, you can branch off from there and talk about how K. Rool would contribute to the game's fun (his moveset ideas, his personality, the rare chance to play and win as a villain) and its history (his role as DK's main villain, the size of the DK series and how it could use more stuff in Smash). And, of course, you can close by encouraging classmates, if they're interested, to go to the Smash website and put in a quick vote for him, heh. Best of luck to you, and be sure to let the thread know how the presentation turns out.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
You're far braver than I to do such an incredibly geeky project for school. I just want to share two tips.

1. Keep it simple. You could do a whole class course on Smash, Nintendo's history, and Sakurai's creative process.

2. Appeal to students' (who I assume is the audience) nostalgia.
After hearing about somebody doing a paper on freaking Rei ayanami of all things for a course i doubt i can get any geekier than that XD;It's also my last project for quite a while so i'm out of there after this and honestly i'm really bad at serious talk so i wanted to do something a bit more comical. I also can't be arsed to do actual "research" and stuff at this time(especially sine i've ben ill on and off and energyless) so i figured i'd do something i'm already involved in anyway.

Top Bottom