• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, I finally did! I got all 3,821 collectable in Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U Virtual Console). Time for the final battle with our King!

So what's going on in the Kroc's powerful kountry?
.....Was it really that many?

I remember that it was attrocious (500 Bananas and 25 Golden Bananas per world... plus the 5 blueprints, and then all the battle crowns, upgrade coins, Rareware and Nintendo Coins, and banana fairies....) but I didn't think it was THAT long.

After all, the Yooka-Layle kickstarter said that they brought back that collectables designer "But had a stern word with him."

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Beggars can't be choosers, but it'd be great if K. Rool were both playable AND the final boss. Basically, that'd be a role with more exposure, to the point where more people would start liking the character and singling him out as a favorite the way they do with characters like Wario and Dedede.

If Mewtwo can get a new voice, I imagine K. Rool will too, probably an animalistic one for consistency with the Kongs. I just hope he's able to have a crazy evil laugh instead of just mindless roaring.

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
I FOUND A DUTCH DKC TV CLIP!
K.Rool=W.Reed his Dutch VA does Squidward and Meowth, learn something new, his voice was done quite well considering the Dutch can't act
Fun fact. He was also the voice of Jerry from Totally Spies Dutch Dub.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
.....Was it really that many?

I remember that it was attrocious (500 Bananas and 25 Golden Bananas per world... plus the 5 blueprints, and then all the battle crowns, upgrade coins, Rareware and Nintendo Coins, and banana fairies....) but I didn't think it was THAT long.

After all, the Yooka-Layle kickstarter said that they brought back that collectables designer "But had a stern word with him."
201 Golden Bananas
10 Battle Crowns
20 Banana Fairies
40 Banana Medals
8 Boss Keys
1 Nintendo Coin
1 Rareware Coin
40 Blueprints
3,500 regular bananas

201 + 10 + 20 + 40 + 8 + 1 + 1 + 40 + 3,500 = 3,821

Also I think Playtonic said that Yooka-Laylee will never match the amount of DK64's collectable count.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
201 Golden Bananas
10 Battle Crowns
20 Banana Fairies
40 Banana Medals
8 Boss Keys
1 Nintendo Coin
1 Rareware Coin
40 Blueprints
3,500 regular bananas

201 + 10 + 20 + 40 + 8 + 1 + 1 + 40 + 3,500 = 3,821

Also I think Playtonic said that Yooka-Laylee will never match the amount of DK64's collectable count.
Kroking Donkeys!

Yeah, they said that the person behind the infamous colletacbles of DK64 was on the staff for it, but basically said not to worry about the volume being that obnoxius in a joking way.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
I'd like K. Rool to remain solely a villain. I liked that in the PAON games that he didn't respect Donkey Kong one bit when he did interact with him. Downplaying the ape's intelligence and generally thinking he's above the Kongs. When it comes to Bowser and Mario, King Koopa hates the plumber, but at least thinks that Mario is a worthy adversary. K. Rool doesn't have that relationship with Donkey. The Kongs are a bunch of stupid apes.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
K. Rool might be nice as a playable character, but I'd rather he stay a villain.

Maybe they should give him more cutscenes, so he can have more exposure.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If K.Rool returns in DKCR3, I think he should have a boss rush. By that, I mean you temporary fight him as one of his previous incarnations. Either because time travel or K.Rool forgot which tricks already failed, phase 1: King K.Rool fight. After that he flees and fights as Kaptain K.Rool. Baron K.Roolenstein follows shortly and after that, he gets so mad, he does something new

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Like, K. Rool tries to make his glorious return to terrorize the Kongs, but a new, much worse villain steals his thunder in the middle of it. Outraged at being upstaged, he (temporarily) teams up with Donkey Kong to kick the new villain's ***.
....then when the new villain is defeated, K. Rool steals whatever artifact they had that was the source of their power and becomes the final boss since the alliance is now terminated.
This plot seems... familiar. I can't put my finger on it, but I think I've seen something like this...

:231:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you read it correctly. Of course K. Rool doesn't become friendly. Basically, the entire idea behind it is a shaky alliance. K. Rool begrudgingly works with the Kongs, then betrays them after the fact anyway.

Honestly, I can blatantly see K. Rool trying to get friendly with the Kongs only to backstab them later. That's just how he is. He'll do anything to accomplish his goals. Personally I love this idea.
Yes, just re-read it just in case. Even if their goals are common, I think K. Rool would never ever work with the Kongs, in fact, imagining that happens, that another villain wants to take his place, he would begrudgingly work, as you say, with the villain himself and then betray him (a la Dimentio and Count Bleck), instead of with the Kongs to defeat the villain.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like that scenario, I simply don't agree with the approach on how things would turn out, that is, working with the Kongs.

This plot seems... familiar. I can't put my finger on it, but I think I've seen something like this...

Same here lol. I really recall it from a Mario game, I just can't remember which one... Dream Team, perhaps?

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Bowser did team up, yeah, stealing and becoming the final boss doesn't fit.

Oh well. I'll remember it in time.

Yup, Dream Team has something similar:

"Mario and Luigi leave the Dream World and after pursuing the evil duo, discover that Bowser was planning to double-cross Antasma all along. Antasma reveals he had made a wish on the Dream Stone for the ability to create Dream Portals at some point, and flies through one after challenging Dreambert to a duel. Bowser, meanwhile, flees with a Paratroopa holding Princess Peach."

- from the Super Mario Wiki

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bowser did team up, yeah, stealing and becoming the final boss doesn't fit.

Oh well. I'll remember it in time.

Bower's Inside Story where the final boss was a clone of Bowser (for half of it)

Dream Team where Bowser actually betrays the villain of the month to become the true final boss instead of the other way around.

Super Paper Mario where Luigi gets possessed to become the Final Boss.

Return to Dreamland (or Milky Way Wishes in SS) where the person who you thought you were helping turns out to be the final boss.

Those are the only ones in my mind.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Bower's Inside Story where the final boss was a clone of Bowser (for half of it)

Dream Team where Bowser actually betrays the villain of the month to become the true final boss instead of the other way around.

Return to Dreamland (or Milky Way Wishes in SS) where the person who you thought you were helping turns out to be the final boss.

Oh yeah, and Dr. Wily in Mega Man 3.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Right, it was Return to Dreamland. You help him throughout the game and he takes the final treasure and becomes the eldritch abomination that is Magolor Soul. :laugh: Yeah.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
This. Sakurai at the very least clearly does not value villians as right now after 4 entries only mario, zelda, and kirby have a iconic villian character.(starfox had one too before smash 4 ofcourse) and in total there are only 3 reoccuring main villians, 1 lesser villian(bowser jr.), and only a few rivals(wario, metaknight, dark pit) despite the fact that nintendo has a treasure trove of much beloved villians. and the fact that series such as f-zero, donkeykong and metroid still are lacking in characters despite having great playable character potential in their series and being common demands amongst the fans.
And the fanbase most certainly disagrees.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Did DK64 seriously have that many collectibles? Really didn't feel like it to me, even after getting every single one.

Maybe it's just because of my love of collecting things. A great man once said "Greed is good", after all.

StormC

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel about K. Rool being both heavier and faster than Bowser, if only slightly?

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
How would you guys feel about K. Rool being both heavier and faster than Bowser, if only slightly?
Yes to both of these. I definitely think he should be heavier than Bowser. He should be the same speed, if not a little faster. I don't want him Sonic or Falcon speed, though.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I know a lot of people would prefer for K. Rool to stay a villain, but I think Bowser's short misadventures as a hero or begrudgingly working with Mario helped him get further fleshed out as a character, and I think more people enjoyed him because of it. Not to mention, in the many games that the devs took a chance and made another non-Bowser villain, Bowser still showed up as either a 3rd party villain or even an ally.

Think of it this way:

King K. Rool could have done the same thing while bringing in the Tiki's and Snowmads. Having him be main villain only, that means he has to be on the bench anytime someone wants to bring something new to Donkey Kong. Where as you see a score of non-Bowser Mario villains with Bowser still remaining completely relevant throughout, instead of not getting a game in years. Not saying he has to do a Heel Face Turn and be a full time ally of the Kongs, he'd hate that, but you need to consider what role he would take if another villain showed up, as opposed to simply not being present at all like he has been.

Beggars can't be choosers, if we get K. Rool in another DK game.

He works great as a diabolical, if not bumbling villain, but if he was a little more dynamic and varied he could elbow his way into more games.

Edit: King Dedede does the same thing as well, having been playable even in Kirby's most recent game (scratch that, one of his most recent games) in Triple Deluxe. Sure, he's more of an anti-hero than a villain at this point and has been since Kirby first started, but it helped Dedede become more distinctive. Maybe I'm wrong and King K. Rool simply can't be seen as anything but the main villain like Ganondorf, but I think there's wiggle room there.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Give him slightly more weight, roughly the same speed (Bowser is 14th fastest in the game), but make him a slightly larger target with slightly slower and less effective physical attacks...he'd be range-based with projectiles and traps, so the physical moves would play second-fiddle to his weaponry anyway.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I know a lot of people would prefer for K. Rool to stay a villain, but I think Bowser's short misadventures as a hero or begrudgingly working with Mario helped him get further fleshed out as a character, and I think more people enjoyed him because of it. Not to mention, in the many games that the devs took a chance and made another non-Bowser villain, Bowser still showed up as either a 3rd party villain or even an ally.

Think of it this way:

King K. Rool could have done the same thing while bringing in the Tiki's and Snowmads. Having him be main villain only, that means he has to be on the bench anytime someone wants to bring something new to Donkey Kong. Where as you see a score of non-Bowser Mario villains with Bowser still remaining completely relevant throughout, instead of not getting a game in years. Not saying he has to do a Heel Face Turn and be a full time ally of the Kongs, he'd hate that, but you need to consider what role he would take if another villain showed up, as opposed to simply not being present at all like he has been.

Beggars can't be choosers, if we get K. Rool in another DK game.

He works great as a diabolical, if not bumbling villain, but if he was a little more dynamic and varied he could elbow his way into more games.
I'd argue that what helped Bowser was having competent villains take his role when he was playable.
SMRPG had Smithy and his lot who I very much enjoyed. Especially the Axem Rangers.
BiS is obvious because Fawful was my favourite thing about it. The charisma and goofiness whilst still remaining a threat greater than Bowser himself is why. Heck in M&L Bowser didn't know he was teamed up with Mario and Luigi. Instead he thought it was just "Chippie"/Starlow.

K Rool would need to see the possible villain as a big enough threat to him to want to team up with DK and even then I doubt he'd want to help and would instead opt to do his own thing separate from DK.
He could still be playable in a possible NSLU sort of deal but change the bosses slightly so you fight the Kongs at the end.

Ganondorf and Ridley do fine never allying with Link and Samus.
They're the sort of villains that would never ally with the Heroes anyway.
Ganondorf has the whole Demise curse thing from Skyward Sword so the various incarnations will be enemies for an eternity.
Ridley has the sadistic nature and bad blood between him and Samus. If anything he'd secretly just use her to achieve his goals then swoop in for the fight when the Finish is in sight.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
K Rool would need to see the possible villain as a big enough threat to him to want to team up with DK and even then I doubt he'd want to and do his own thing separate from DK.
They're the sort of villains that would never ally with the Heroes anyway.
Ganondorf has the whole Demise curse thing from Skyward Sword so the various incarnations will be enemies for an eternity.
Ridley has the sadistic nature and bad blood between him and Samus. If anything he'd secretly just use her to achieve his goals then swoop in for the fight when the Finish is in sight.
K.Rool's got too much pride to join sides I reckon
Ganondorf technically helped in SSE and did have good intentions for his kind in Wind Waker. Then we have Ridley who ate Samus' mother. NINTENDO IS KIDDY!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Ganondorf technically helped in SSE and did have good intentions for his kind in Wind Waker. Then we have Ridley who ate Samus' mother. NINTENDO IS KIDDY!
Ridley is among the most hardcore of Nintendo's villains.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Smash isn't canon to any of the Nintendo series repped in the games. It's all just toys the kid wants to play with and then he grows up and so on.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Smash isn't canon to any of the Nintendo series repped in the games. It's all just toys the kid wants to play with and then he grows up and so on.
Wait, so that means if we grow up our amiibo will beat the **** out of us?
Ridley is among the most hardcore of Nintendo's villains.
I say this is the list of the 5 most evil to me from what I've seen
Porky
Ridley
Xenoblade final boss
Ganondorf
K.Rool

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Porky
Ridley
Xenoblade final boss
Ganondorf
K.Rool
I'd have Metal Face in there personally. He has evil written all over him from his voice to his actions and role in Xenoblade.
Then there's Giygas/Giegue and Grima.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Ok, So I've been googling what Japan has been saying about what characters they want, and K. Rool is the most popular, by far. They really seem to love him over there, which is awesome. Not to mention, when I go on any Youtube videos about speculation of characters, there are always people voting for K. Rool. There are some people who specifically voice their dislike for K. Rool, but they usually want someone who isn't getting in like Bayonetta or Geno.

In short, I'm feeling a lot better about K. Rool being DLC. He is hugely popular now, It would take some serious Sakurai bias not to put him in as a character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'd have Metal Face in there personally. He has evil written all over him from his voice to his actions and role in Xenoblade.
Then there's Giygas
Metal Face is a tough case, faced mechon are brainwashed humans and Mr Spoilery Boss makes **** happen. I admit I don't know much about Giygas

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wait, so that means if we grow up our amiibo will beat the **** out of us?

Porky
Ridley
Xenoblade final boss
Ganondorf
K.Rool
Ashera of FE10 comes close to resetting all of time because Humans and Laguz are far too agressive a species and need to be taken back to a primordial stage to see if they'll "do better" with evolution on another ake.

Just one example.

Edit:
Irony. inb4 Xord trophy

Giygas is the Embodiment of Evil. I think that title speaks for itself really.
No... that's not exactly true.

Giygas is what remains of the festering rage of Gigue against Ninten and his family whose proximity to earth drew people and beasts to madness as he sent out Starmen to try to hunt down Ninten.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Irony. inb4 Xord trophy

Giygas is the Embodiment of Evil. I think that title speaks for itself really.
JADE FACE TROPHY SPOILED IT THO
To determine how evil someone is, I want to know personality and deeds. Ganondorf: King of Evil. Less evil than Ridley: Cunning God of Death who isn't as evil as Porky Minch, no title
Ashera of FE10 comes close to resetting all of time because Humans and Laguz are far too agressive a species and need to be taken back to a primordial stage to see if they'll "do better" with evolution on another ake.

Just one example.
That's...Not too bad in my eyes

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sonic Lost World Perhaps ?
'Twas resolved. Ended up being Magalor in Kirby - Return to Dreamland.

edit:
To determine how evil someone is, I want to know personality and deeds. Ganondorf: King of Evil. Less evil than Ridley: Cunning God of Death who isn't as evil as Porky Minch, no title

Maybe it's the whole "Ehh you people aren't to my taste. Let me just destroy everything that ever happened to see if random chance does better over a few million years" thing that got to me.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Giygas

That's all you need on Giygas. He pretty much earns his titles.

Top Bottom