• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
As much as I'm looking forward to King K. Rool's possible inclusion, all I ask of Sakurai and his team is that they give him tools that will make him VIABLE!

• Decent or above average grab range with the grab animation being being average or only a little laggy.
  • Average or good recovery
  • Combos or setups of some kind
  • Reliable KO options or even KO setups
  • A projectile or some form of reliable spacing
  • Safe or useful approach options
  • Mobility that's average or top tier.
  • Average or no lag on his attacks.
I'd probably play as and enjoy him regardless, but I WANT K. ROOL TO HAVE TOOLS THAT WILL LET HIM TAKE TOURNAMENTS!!!
Same. especially since we're paying for him seperately so he better be a good viable, well thought out character. rather tan another poorly planned character with a mountain of very noticable and glaring flaws.(YOU HAD 3 GAMES TO MAKE ZELDA GOOD, SAKURAI. 3 GAMES)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I never said anything about moveset. I meant that since the Ice Climbers had to be cut, there was a need for a different NES character.
But you said that they were chosen to REPLACE Ice Climbers as an NES rep.

This is false. The two both being from the NES was because Retro Nintendo more or less has to be NES. :4rob:'s game was also on the NES, so the "need" for any NES character isn't there.

The Ice Climbers were dropped from the work some time after spring 2014 based on an interview with Sakurai stating that Ice Climbers were giving the team difficulty, not had given in attempt to have them work on the 3DS version.

Sakurai also went on record that the roster was decided before development of the game was, with specific citings of :4greninja: being chosen from concept art and :4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario: being changed from alternate outfits to full fighters very late in development.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I never said anything about moveset. I meant that since the Ice Climbers had to be cut, there was a need for a different NES character.
Oh, now I see what you meant. I assume you wanted to say that they added Duck Hunt, because the Ice Climbers had to be cut.
I thought you meant they replaced them only for the reason that they both are NES duo-characters.

Yet, we still have no evidence to say so, Sakurai could easily have wanted both in for the beginning, since the roster was decided before they even started to develop the game.

Also, I'm sorry for sounding rude, I misunderstood what you said.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
But you said that they were chosen to REPLACE Ice Climbers as an NES rep.

This is false. The two both being from the NES was because Retro Nintendo more or less has to be NES. :4rob:'s game was also on the NES, so the "need" for any NES character isn't there.

The Ice Climbers were dropped from the work some time after spring 2014 based on an interview with Sakurai stating that Ice Climbers were giving the team difficulty, not had given in attempt to have them work on the 3DS version.

Sakurai also went on record that the roster was decided before development of the game was, with specific citings of :4greninja: being chosen from concept art and :4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario: being changed from alternate outfits to full fighters very late in development.
Alright, alright, I get it. Sheesh.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Let's look at the DLC:

Mewtwo: Top of EVERYONE's Wishlist tied with Mega Man. Very iconic, major franchise and technical "villain" rep, Melee vet.
Lucas: Most requested and anticipated Brawl vet, even more so than Snake and Wolf. His home game has HUGE widespread critical acclaim and demand for a worldwide release. Second Mother rep, and again, Brawl vet
Roy: Rumored by the Royu leak. (I am like 89% sure I was the first person to use that term btw). Melee vet, popular with Smash fans, plenty of demand for return
Ryu: Rumored by Royu leak. Huge Gaming icon, plenty of moveset potential from standard fighting alone, new third party rep, possible advertising for something Nintendo is hiding from us...

And now let's look at King K. Rool.
K.Rool: Highly requested character for a Brawl AND this game, results claim him to be leading the ballot, much wanted third DK rep, MAJOR FRANCHISE VILLAIN AND NEW HEAVYWEIGHT WITH UNIQUE MOVESET POTENTIAL, HIGHLY INTERESTING DESIGN.

I may not be the biggest King K Rool fan, but as someone who thinks he more than deserves it, it makes too much sense.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, look at this! Imagine if it was an actual stage, I'd be so excited! I still want the Gangplank Galleon more!

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Also, I definitely don't think K. Rool would occupy his spot in the current Smash zeitgeist if it wasn't for his fans being so organized, dedicated, and united. We should pat ourselves on the back even once the fat lady sings for the work we've put in to get the character this recognized.
I'm gonna sound even more pessimistic, but I feel like that may be part of what makes K. Rool's chances not as good as we think. Since we're so organized, we always make sure to spread K. Rool's name wherever we can. I feel like all of us spreading #KrocTheVote means that if we ever see people advocating for K. Rool around the internet, we're just seeing each other's posts, meaning there's not as many of us voting for K. Rool as we think.

There's definitely other people voting for K. Rool, just not as many as we may think.

God I'm sounding like a downer. I swear I don't mean to.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Alright, alright, I get it. Sheesh.
Sorry if I was a bit intense.

This was my last day of finals, tomorrow I'm going to go through a confrontation with a family member I've been avoiding for... 8 or so years now and this day was full of having to calm down people saying that Inklings were deconfirmed today.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^DKC2
Iwata's very words on the DLC Ballot was that they were taking the requests for future fighters. I honestly believe we will get 3-5, and given how things are shaping up, it will be full Newcomers.

King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong seem like our big 5, with my expectation being 3-5 characters.
Do not underestimate wolf. both japan and the west have a high demand for returning characters and out of those wolf is consistantly near the top. I have seen no bandana dee support outside of a few rather dedicated fans on smashboards honestly.

StormC

Smash Hero
There is no corner of the globe where Dixie is more requested than K. Rool. If she got in and he didn't, it's because Sakurai simply chose to overlook K. Rool and/or she was chosen for, yes, relevancy.

K.Rool: Highly requested character for a Brawl AND this game, results claim him to be leading the ballot, much wanted third DK rep, MAJOR FRANCHISE VILLAIN AND NEW HEAVYWEIGHT WITH UNIQUE MOVESET POTENTIAL, HIGHLY INTERESTING DESIGN.

I may not be the biggest King K Rool fan, but as someone who thinks he more than deserves it, it makes too much sense.
It makes sense to us, is the key difference. Sakurai may feel differently and not value things such as villains and heavyweights.

Burruni

Smash Hero
^DKC2
Do not underestimate wolf. both japan and the west have a high demand for returning characters and out of those wolf is consistantly near the top. I have seen no bandana dee support outside of a few rather dedicated fans on smashboards honestly.
I'm not underestimating Wolf.

Quite the opposite.

I didn't put him on that list because I expect him to be DLC that was decided without the ballot. Across pretty much all the stages of speculation he was considered on par of :4lucas: and frankly I can't see one coming back and not the other by a plan... especially with Star Fox having that new game that got hyped up last E3.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Let's look at the DLC:

Mewtwo: Top of EVERYONE's Wishlist tied with Mega Man. Very iconic, major franchise and technical "villain" rep, Melee vet.
Lucas: Most requested and anticipated Brawl vet, even more so than Snake and Wolf. His home game has HUGE widespread critical acclaim and demand for a worldwide release. Second Mother rep, and again, Brawl vet
Roy: Rumored by the Royu leak. (I am like 89% sure I was the first person to use that term btw). Melee vet, popular with Smash fans, plenty of demand for return
Ryu: Rumored by Royu leak. Huge Gaming icon, plenty of moveset potential from standard fighting alone, new third party rep, possible advertising for something Nintendo is hiding from us...

And now let's look at King K. Rool.

Agreed. He NEEDS to get in this time, along with Isaac.

We're coming closer and closer to the perfect all-stars game...

StormC

Smash Hero
I just can't imagine more than six DLC characters for as long as they seem to take to develop. That's insane.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I just can't imagine more than six DLC characters for as long as they seem to take for development. That's insane.
Ya I am having a hard time seeing that too. No more than 6 total is looking like the most they will go for, but they might have a surprise here and there.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm gonna sound even more pessimistic, but I feel like that may be part of what makes K. Rool's chances not as good as we think. Since we're so organized, we always make sure to spread K. Rool's name wherever we can. I feel like all of us spreading #KrocTheVote means that if we ever see people advocating for K. Rool around the internet, we're just seeing each other's posts, meaning there's not as many of us voting for K. Rool as we think.

There's definitely other people voting for K. Rool, just not as many as we may think.

God I'm sounding like a downer. I swear I don't mean to.
Believe me, it's easy to feel down when we're so in the dark about the ballot. There's no objective way to determine who's at the top, but there is a fairly sensible process of elimination you can use to winnow down who's a viable contender. From what we see online, the characters rivaling K. Rool are veterans and third parties. Veterans will likely already be considered, whereas most third parties are some combination of one-off, Western-centric, or first party rival-owned.

That leaves K. Rool and a smaller pool of others facing the same issues, and even different ones...is their support as big as a forum can make it appear? Do people in Japan really care about them? In any case, just anecdotally, K. Rool is one of the few characters who seems to pop up on random wishlists most often, get the most upvotes in Reddit comments, score most highly on polls (with thousands of voters, not just the few dozen or so who frequent this thread). Does that reflect the voting base as a whole? Maybe not, but the hardcore fans are absolutely the ones with the bigger sway than casuals, given how they actually care to rally around characters instead of just haphazardly vote for a random favorite.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
K. Rool has the advantage of aside from diehard fans (like us) that want him in he's generally viewed as a deserving character. A lot of people agree that he SHOULD be in the game. Which is a nice thing to have, thing is it's not an untrue statement to say that K. Rool should have been in Smash before now whether it had been Melee or Brawl regardless he should have been there. He's long overdue and while there's a bunch of characters that I feel deserve a shot King K. Rool should have had his shot and hasn't yet. There's a lot of people out there who feel the same way and I'm grateful for that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, K. Rool is no Geno (sorry, Geno fans): a completely random character with no real basis besides "we like him lots."

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Yeah, K. Rool is no Geno (sorry, Geno fans): a completely random character with no real basis besides "we like him lots."
To be fair, Geno was really wanted back in Brawl days, and is a great character. If you haven't played Super Mario RPG, I highly recommend it.

However, he wasn't getting in Smash. He was a one time character from a pretty old game. Also, Square Enix owns him, and they're real sticklers about their IP's, so it wouldn't have happened anyway.

That flying ship first appeared in Donkey Kong 64, but I do not know who has made the artwork and where it came from.
Actually, it first appeared in Donkey Kong Country 2. It's where you fight Kaptain K. Rool.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Geno was really wanted back in Brawl days, and is a great character. If you haven't played Super Mario RPG, I highly recommend it.

However, he wasn't getting in Smash. He was a one time character from a pretty old game. Also, Square Enix owns him, and they're real sticklers about their IP's, so it wouldn't have happened anyway.

Actually, it first appeared in Donkey Kong Country 2. It's where you fight Kaptain K. Rool.

Wow.. I was going to correct the first appearance but thanks!

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, Geno was really wanted back in Brawl days, and is a great character. If you haven't played Super Mario RPG, I highly recommend it..
I've played Super Mario RPG since it came out. It's a fantastic game. But there was never an argument about Geno's inclusion in Brawl based on his importance to Nintendo and Mario (or even just Super Mario RPG).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That flying ship first appeared in Donkey Kong 64, but I do not know who has made the artwork and where it came from.
Yeah, that's a high quality model of the Flying Kroc from DKC2.

Honestly, Flying Kroc is my preferred idea, due to the unique design it could make for a great stage. I imagine it working similar to Corneria where you're on top of the ship as its flying around the DK Isles and Crocodile Isle. I really, really like the idea of also being able to Smash the propellers and it'll crash into the sea, then it will float around for a bit (or perhaps you fall off of it and onto Gangplank Galleon) while Kritters repair the propellers.

I think it'd be a really kool stage. But Gangplank Galleon would be amazing as well. Either way I want an official K. Rool medley.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

Honestly, Flying Kroc is my preferred idea, due to the unique design it could make for a great stage. I imagine it working similar to Corneria where you're on top of the ship as its flying around the DK Isles and Crocodile Isle. I really, really like the idea of also being able to Smash the propellers and it'll crash into the sea, then it will float around for a bit (or perhaps you fall off of it and onto Gangplank Galleon) while Kritters repair the propellers.

I think it'd be a really kool stage. But Gangplank Galleon would be amazing as well. Either way I want an official K. Rool medley.
I always thought the Ship Deck 2 song was a sign that one day we would get our most beloved King. Not to mention, the official/alternate name for the song is "King K. Rool". What a great reveal song that would be...

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I always thought the Ship Deck 2 song was a sign that one day we would get our most beloved King. Not to mention, the official/alternate name for the song is "King K. Rool". What a great reveal song that would be...

I'd like to a hear a new remix of it maybe with the jolly roger intro then cuts to a rock theme of it, that'd be cool.Something like this:

I wish the K. Rool Medley in Omni's recent video render of K. Rool was made as a real official theme though, could be a nice alt. one for the stage.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll be very surprised if K. Rool gets a trailer that DOESN'T use that specific remix.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I've played Super Mario RPG since it came out. It's a fantastic game. But there was never an argument about Geno's inclusion in Brawl based on his importance to Nintendo and Mario (or even just Super Mario RPG).
Honestly, I could give a few, but I try to avoid these debates because they get... Messy...

image.jpg

"First three rows are a splash zone.." -Kirito, SAO Abridged

I'd honestly just prefer Gangplank Galleon, tbh.

Always thought it weird that when you fight King K. Rool, he is on a Pirate Ship. When you fight Kaptain K.Rool, he is in an airship. When you fight K. Roolenstien, he is in a castle.

You'd think it'd be King = Castle, Kaptain = Pirate Ship, and K. Roolenstien (who is a scientist) = Airship but no.

... No.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Honestly, I could give a few, but I try to avoid these debates because they get... Messy...

View attachment 50733
"First three rows are a splash zone.." -Kirito, SAO Abridged

I'd honestly just prefer Gangplank Galleon, tbh.

Always thought it weird that when you fight King K. Rool, he is on a Pirate Ship. When you fight Kaptain K.Rool, he is in an airship. When you fight K. Roolenstien, he is in a castle.

You'd think it'd be King = Castle, Kaptain = Pirate Ship, and K. Roolenstien (who is a scientist) = Airship but no.

... No.
That is one of the main reasons I love this character to death....that is true insanity..whether that was planned by Rare or not is so amazing to me. O.O

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
There is no corner of the globe where Dixie is more requested than K. Rool. If she got in and he didn't, it's because Sakurai simply chose to overlook K. Rool and/or she was chosen for, yes, relevancy.

It makes sense to us, is the key difference. Sakurai may feel differently and not value things such as villains and heavyweights.
This. Sakurai at the very least clearly does not value villians as right now after 4 entries only mario, zelda, and kirby have a iconic villian character.(starfox had one too before smash 4 ofcourse) and in total there are only 3 reoccuring main villians, 1 lesser villian(bowser jr.), and only a few rivals(wario, metaknight, dark pit) despite the fact that nintendo has a treasure trove of much beloved villians. and the fact that series such as f-zero, donkeykong and metroid still are lacking in characters despite having great playable character potential in their series and being common demands amongst the fans.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Mewtwo got the Victory Road music as his trailer music, so I'm pretty sure K. Rool will get his theme that's already in game.
If that's the case then hopefully it will get moved from the kongo jungle 64 stage and onto the new gg one(if there is one for dlc).

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
If that's the case then hopefully it will get moved from the kongo jungle 64 stage and onto the new gg one(if there is one for dlc).
Believe me, I really want that to happen, and I have a good feeling it could happen.

K. Rool getting his own stage, whether it be on the Gangplank Galleon or the Flying Kroc would be hype as ****.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Believe me, I really want that to happen, and I have a good feeling it could happen.

K. Rool getting his own stage, whether it be on the Gangplank Galleon or the Flying Kroc would be hype as ****.
Agreed, I'd love to see the alt. songs on there for it too. Chances are we could still get one or 2 variations of it along with different remixes from the DKC series like crococodile cacophony, lockjaw's saga, jib jig aka mainbrace mayhem, and snakey chantey.

D

Deleted member

Not contradictory because they're not the same. Duck Hunt is a retro character from a retro franchise, K Rool is a retro character from a healthy franchise. Naturally if Sakurai and co. were to look at "retro" characters they'd look at the retro franchises first and foremost, no?
And the way you're wording it seems to imply Sakurai actually actively looked at K Rool and went, "nope he's not in because he doesn't have a recent appearance". No, that's not what I'm insinuating. It could just be Sakurai did not think of K Rool as a worthwhile venture in terms of potential characters given his current standings. And I'm sure there's more complex reasons behind it, it could even be they're not even aware of K Rool, whereas Duck Hunt is popular enough that he's still an icon today.

And I only mentioned representation as an argument for why Duck Hunt may be considered over DK. Obviously there's more factors behind representation when we go to the Kid Icarus example, so it's not really comparable.
The reason why it's contradictory is because if the lack of a recent appearance killed King K. Rool, why didn't it do the same for Duck Hunt? It makes no sense to pick a character like Duck Hunt for being gone even longer when by the time the roster was decided (mid-2012), Duck Hunt has been gone for twenty-eight years. I seriously doubt a need to "rep" Duck Hunt was a factor in the character's inclusion nor do I think they were chosen primarily due to being "so dead it's retro".

I don't see what exactly would have hindered King K. Rool from appearing on the default roster. I mean, he is the main antagonist of the franchise and of many of the most significant games as well (DKC trilogy and DK64). Given how important the DKC series has been to video games, of course Sakurai would know about King K. Rool. Along with massive fan demand, fantastic move set potentials, etc, I was surprised that he didn't make the initial roster even in spite of his recent disappearance. It doesn't help that representation of DKC was poorly done. No DK newcomers (especially when Dixie was a perfectly good choice), barely any content from Tropical Freeze, only one new stage, no items from DKC, no ATs, and five or more different remixes of Jungle Hijinx that weren't needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Ha, won't it be great if/when, one day, people can reupload that song to YouTube attached to an actual render of K. Rool instead of Diddy?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Ha, won't it be great if/when, one day, people can reupload that song to YouTube attached to an actual render of K. Rool instead of Diddy?
AMEN!!! ....that day will come..whether its 2015, 2016, or (lets see, hypothetically, when will Smash 5 come out..?.) 2025-2030.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Dang, this thread moves fast. :4sonic:

Also, I have decided on a K. Rool specials move set:
Neutral B- Blunderbuss Shot
Side B- Krown Boomerang
Up B- Kopter Pack
Down B- K.Rool Rush (this one is something I have seen few people suggest. It is a chargeable, invincible, but highly punishable KO move where K Rool charges up and Slams the ground creating a shockwave. Shockwave damages, but the short range attack itself can kill easily)

Final Smash: Kredits
(K. Rool plays dead and these come from the bottom of the screen. Doesn't do much damage if at all, but moves swiftly and words come from random points on the screen, making it easy to be carried above screen by the Kredits and be KO'd)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I don't care if K Rool wasn't in Tropical Freeze. This music is just so damn good I'd love it on any DK related stage:

I can't believe I haven't played DKCTF yet, but I have no money to spend on anything right now as I'm moving out of my parent's house and trying to make a budget. One day though. One day.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't care if K Rool wasn't in Tropical Freeze. This music is just so damn good I'd love it on any DK related stage:

I can't believe I haven't played DKCTF yet, but I have no money to spend on anything right now as I'm moving out of my parent's house and trying to make a budget. One day though. One day.
I once read a good Youtube comment (imagine that) as to how a Scorch N Torch stage could work.

Top Bottom