• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
At least Wario has an Assist Trophy from his franchise. DK didn't even get that...
Except that is from Warioware... the half of his ~14 games that people are upset at being everything for Wario despite him being a face for it more than an actual active part of it.

DK has been neglected, but it's not the only one.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
At least Wario has an Assist Trophy from his franchise. DK didn't even get that...
While that is true, Ashley isn't from the Wario Land games, she's from WarioWare, which seems to be Wario's only form of representation for his own series (besides relation to the Mario sub-series). Wario Land content remains hopelessly abysmal.

It may not be in the most satisfactory of terms, but the Donkey Kong series does somewhat have it better than Wario in terms of content, even when taking into account the general focus on WarioWare. I still can't get over how piss-poor Wario's trophy selection is in the 3DS version. They didn't even try.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Except that is from Warioware... the half of his ~14 games that people are upset at being everything for Wario despite him being a face for it more than an actual active part of it.

DK has been neglected, but it's not the only one.
Ya its still a Wario "thing" ,but DK is one of the "most popular" and at the same time "least recognized" franchises in Smash no matter which way you cut it. It has been that way since melee. I realize its not the only one neglected like Metroid, but still Metroid has 2 Assist Trophies in this game and Samus was good enough in Sakurai's eyes to make her 2 different unique characters. DK just hasn't got noticeable love from Sakurai besides Kremlings in Smash Run. That is just my opinion, but no denying that Donkey Kong being in the top popular and money making Nintendo franchises, has been more ignored than not.. for unknown reasons..unlike Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Mario, and Kirby or Fire Emblem some would argue. Just puzzles me.

I guess that is true about Wario though. I just am confused as to why Nintendo has been ignoring Donkey Kong the franchise.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ya its still a Wario "thing" though. DK is the "most popular" and "least recognized" franchise in Smash no matter which way you cut it. It has been that way since melee. I realize its not the only one neglected like Metroid, but still Metroid has 2 Assist Trophies in this game and Samus was good enough in Sakurai's eyes to make her 2 different unique characters. DK just hasn't got noticeable love from Sakurai besides Kremlings in Smash Run. That is just my opinion, but no denying that Donkey Kong being in the top popular and money making Nintendo franchises, has been more ignored than not.. for unknown reasons..unlike Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Mario, and Kirby or Fire Emblem some would argue. Just puzzles me.
Sadly a fair bit of it being how much DK as a series was tied to the glory of the 4 Rareware titles. The fact that the Returns games only affected this by getting a stage is a problem.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Sadly a fair bit of it being how much DK as a series was tied to the glory of the 4 Rareware titles. The fact that the Returns games only affected this by getting a stage is a problem.
But that is still so questionable. K. Rool was in mario sluggers, a 100% rareware created character. And so was... diddy kong... ... ... and... funky kong... *mario kart wii*, and ... all the kongs ... . :p I don't think the rareware thing is the bigger deal at this point.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
But that is still so questionable. K. Rool was in mario sluggers, a 100% rareware created character. And so was... diddy kong... ... ... and... funky kong... *mario kart wii*, and ... all the kongs ... . :p I don't think the rareware thing is the bigger deal at this point.
Not only that, but I figured since Namco was all over Sluggers, they would *wink wink* *nudge nudge*, go ahead and put King K in Smash Bros as well. Who knows maybe they talked about King K. RoOl before they game came out and couldn't finish him in time or Sakurai didn't see him as unique enough or something...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Except that Nintendo owns the full rights to those characters and the people chosen for Mario Spin-offs has a significantly different criteria than smash characters?

I mean... if people threw fits over Dark Pit, imagine Pink-Gold Peach.

At the end of the day.... it's how Sakurai observed and chose things. DK just fell at the wayside on many fronts.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Not only that, but I figured since Namco was all over Sluggers, they would *wink wink* *nudge nudge*, go ahead and put King K in Smash Bros as well. Who knows maybe they talked about King K. RoOl before they game came out and couldn't finish him in time or Sakurai didn't see him as unique enough or something...
It could be that K Rool wasn't really on their minds given he hasn't had a recent appearance..

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Except that Nintendo owns the full rights to those characters and the people chosen for Mario Spin-offs has a significantly different criteria than smash characters?

I mean... if people threw fits over Dark Pit, imagine Pink-Gold Peach.

At the end of the day.... it's how Sakurai observed and chose things. DK just fell at the wayside on many fronts.
I see what you mean. All I'm saying is if the reason K. Rool won't be in smash is because of the rareware trade off AGES ago that's a silly argument to make and won't get a ton farther than outer speculation. Is all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I see what you mean. All I'm saying is if the reason K. Rool won't be in smash is because of the rareware trade off AGES ago that's a silly argument to make and won't get a ton farther than outer speculation. Is all.
I was meaning on hesitation about how DK as an IP would develop because Rareware was bought out.

When you look at the games DK had between DK64 and Returns, we have...

3 Donkey Konga Games (somehow)

Jungle Beat, which featured ONLY DK as a previous character

King of Swing & Barrel Blast (minor games many forget about)

Am I forgetting one?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Please don't try to justify "oh a recent importance doesn't matter at all" with a character SPECIFICALLY chosen as a retro.
A recent importance doesn't really matter. Sakurai can and will do whatever he wants when he wants, BUT that is what the Ballot is for hopefully. A chance for us to actually pick who we want. As long as the Smash Ballot isn't a Kroc then all should be well.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Please don't try to justify "oh a recent importance doesn't matter at all" with a character SPECIFICALLY chosen as a retro.
This basically.
Also Duck Hunt Dog is from a franchise represented very scarcely in Smash compared to DK which has seen ample representation(at least compared to Duck Hunt), it would thus make more sense, from a representation standpoint(which is the standpoint many take for K Rool being in Smash to be justified), for Duck Hunt Dog to be considered first.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Hey! If the man sees the way sakurai and crew does character selection one way let him be. He's completely entitled to believe so.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I agree to an extent, but Duck Hunt was just random. Not a bad character by any means, but eh Sakurai will be Sakurai.

Hey! If the man sees the way sakurai and crew does character selection one way let him be. He's completely entitled to believe so.
it doesnt matter how he "sees character selection" its the fact that he used an example which is specifically the exeception to the rule.
it isnt his view but his unfair example.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Was walking through miiverse plaza when I saw some of these taped to several Mii's backs. Another major endorsement for the King! This time from the all-star from popstar.

EDIT - Ah ! Beaten to my own pic! Citizen journalism is hard.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I'm in the boat their chances got better, since Splatoon representation has been confirmed. Regardless, still hyped, and their just in a similar situation to Meta Knight, Samus, and Link - Just because they have a Mii Costume doesn't eliminate their chances at all!
yea but the thing with the other costumes is that those characters have already been playable in smash games. but this costume isn't just a hat or a shirt. Its the full character model looking like a inkling

Burruni

Smash Hero
A recent importance doesn't really matter. Sakurai can and will do whatever he wants when he wants, BUT that is what the Ballot is for hopefully. A chance for us to actually pick who we want. As long as the Smash Ballot isn't a Kroc then all should be well.
Yes. He CAN chose a character at random. But all of our newcomers have a fairly recent title or are a retro. Edit: Now that I think about it... I think this rule can basically be held for the newcomers in EVERY Smash title, with :ness64::falcon64::samus64::marthmelee::olimar: and :4littlemac: having some of the largest gaps.
:4villager:: City Folk when chosen for the roster. New Leaf being released weeks before the game was announced.
:4megaman:: Gaming ICON with last game being December 2012, with Street Fighter x Capcom.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:: Wii Fit U.
:rosalina:: Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 8, Mario Galaxy 2.
:4littlemac:: Punch-Out!! Wii, honestly the "oldest" of new titles on this list.
:4greninja:: Pokemon X/Y, was chosen from CONCEPT ART before the game was released.
:4mii:: Tomodachi Life. 3DS Street Plaza Titles.
:4palutena:/:4darkpit:: Kid Icarus - Uprising, the game Sakurai was working on months before he started development on Smash 4.
:4pacman:: Was honestly chosen as a retro, but we technically have Ghostly adventures.
:4robinm::4robinf::4lucina:: Fire Emblem - Awakening
:4shulk:: Xenoblade Chronicles
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:: New Super Mario Bros./Luigi U.
:4duckhunt:: Retro.

I'm not saying King K. Rool is unlikely because his last role was a 2009 (?) Mario Spin-Off game. Infact, he is top 3 of the Ballot if we disregard Roy and Wolf who are all but assured to be DLC confirmations before the ballot comes to a close.

But while it may or may not matter, it IS a present factor. A trend. Correlation does not mean causation but it's something that can be noted.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
it doesnt matter how he "sees character selection" its the fact that he used an example which is specifically the exeception to the rule.
it isnt his view but his unfair example.
Just my opinion. I totally believe that relevance has nothing to do with picking a character, but it just always confused me as to why Sakurai does stuff the way he does. I just am one of those people that wants to personally ask him what his thought process is.

If K. Rool doesn't get in through the Ballot...by the time Smash 5 releases he will have a shot at being that games *retro* character..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Precisely. As much as he gets looked at as some sort of overdog frontrunner, every inch of K. Rool's current standing came from the ground up, from the fans. He had no Gematsu, ESRB or "Major" leaks to conjur up support for him out of thin air, nor did he have any recent games to draw in a following. He's had to scrap for every bit of recognition he's had thus far, and only now is it starting to pay off...from getting noticed by Retro, supported by Playtonic and a bunch of big-name YouTubers, to getting articles published about him winning in the big exit polls and getting Smashified. It's a snowball effect for which the Kutthroats in this thread are very largely responsible.
And this is why I am confident that King K. Rool fans are going to be rewarded in the long run. Even if King K. Rool isn't playable as DLC, there is no reason to ignore him any longer and I expect at the very least to see him return as the main antagonist of the DK franchise.
if Roy and Ryu is really happening then i see only 2 more chars tbh.
If anything, the fact that we get a second Capcom character and a fifth Fire Emblem character could indicate we're getting more than we thought we would.
This basically.
Also Duck Hunt Dog is from a franchise represented very scarcely in Smash compared to DK which has seen ample representation(at least compared to Duck Hunt), it would thus make more sense, from a representation standpoint(which is the standpoint many take for K Rool being in Smash to be justified), for Duck Hunt Dog to be considered first.
So basically the argument is that King K. Rool wasn't added because he doesn't have a recent appearance yet a character who hasn't had a new game in over thirty years is good to go because of being "retro"? That's contradictory.

And I get tired of hear the "MUH REPRESENTATION!" argument. Look at how much Donkey Kong has gotten in comparison to Kid Icarus (a franchise revived by the very same man who made this game). Duck Hunt Dog wasn't made as some magical exception because "he's from an old franchise".

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
And this is why I am confident that King K. Rool fans are going to be rewarded in the long run. Even if King K. Rool isn't playable as DLC, there is no reason to ignore him any longer and I expect at the very least to see him return as the main antagonist of the DK franchise.If anything, the fact that we get a second Capcom character and a fifth Fire Emblem character could indicate we're getting more than we thought we would.
So basically the argument is that King K. Rool wasn't added because he doesn't have a recent appearance yet a character who hasn't had a new game in over thirty years is good to go because of being "retro"? That's contradictory.

And I get tired of hear the "MUH REPRESENTATION!" argument. Look at how much Donkey Kong has gotten in comparison to Kid Icarus (a franchise revived by the very same man who made this game). Duck Hunt Dog wasn't made as some magical exception because "he's from an old franchise".
Simple answer. Kid Icarus gets more due to Sakurai creating the characters...same with Kirby. I love both franchises, but if a different person who didn't create their own franchises, made a game like this there would more than likely be much more *equality* so to speak.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just my opinion. I totally believe that relevance has nothing to do with picking a character, but it just always confused me as to why Sakurai does stuff the way he does. I just am one of those people that wants to personally ask him what his thought process is.

If K. Rool doesn't get in through the Ballot...by the time Smash 5 releases he will have a shot at being that games *retro* character..
I know you posed that last bit as a joke... but his last role as a villain was Barrel Blast.

I'm honestly waiting for the heart-killer when Sakurai choses an SNES character for a retro, but there appear to still be enough high-demand NES Retros for this to not be a fear for Smash 5 (Donbe & Hikari for Smash 5 btw)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion

Not contradictory because they're not the same. Duck Hunt is a retro character from a retro franchise, K Rool is a retro character from a healthy franchise. Naturally if Sakurai and co. were to look at "retro" characters they'd look at the retro franchises first and foremost, no?
And the way you're wording it seems to imply Sakurai actually actively looked at K Rool and went, "nope he's not in because he doesn't have a recent appearance". No, that's not what I'm insinuating. It could just be Sakurai did not think of K Rool as a worthwhile venture in terms of potential characters given his current standings. And I'm sure there's more complex reasons behind it, it could even be they're not even aware of K Rool, whereas Duck Hunt is popular enough that he's still an icon today.

And I only mentioned representation as an argument for why Duck Hunt may be considered over DK. Obviously there's more factors behind representation when we go to the Kid Icarus example, so it's not really comparable.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Ok, guys. WE have a real tendency of going way off topic whenever smash related news is announced. I like that we speculate but maybe less argumentative? I'm no mod but would love to see more kindness and less showing each-other up. :) maybe.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ok, guys. WE have a real tendency of going way off topic whenever smash related news is announced. I like that we speculate but maybe less argumentative? I'm no mod but would love to see more kindness and less showing each-other up. :) maybe.
Correction:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
We are going to approach 1 million views in a period of time. The question is how to celebrate the 1,000,000 page views for King K ROOL?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With DLC, you have to count on individual character sales, rather than just getting fans to "eat your brussel sprouts and buy these random characters you don't care about." The fans are speaking loud and clear...it's no coincidence that the two apparent Nintendo frontrunners, K. Rool and Isaac, were belittled for years as "not relevant." This ballot has given fans a voice to say that Nintendo is missing some big diamonds-in-the-rough, and if they're at all wise, they'll listen instead of heaping on more thinly-veiled advertisements. Being in a new game doesn't make you a good character who instantly appeals to casuals, after all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
How rude.
While brash in how it was pronounced, it was because your claim is flat-out incorrect. :4duckhunt: was chosen because he embodies the Zapper as a controller medium and that is what his moveset revolves so heavily around. He was a retro chosen by hardware akin to :4gaw: as LCD "micro" games, :4rob:as the toy he was, and :4pacman:for the arcade goodness of old Namco. The fact that they're a duo from the NES is all the similarity that lies between the two. They don't have anywhere near the same playstyle or true simlarity in moveset. It's a more wild claim than saying :4lucario: or :4myfriends: replaced :4mewtwo: or :roypm: respectively.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
While brash in how it was pronounced, it was because your claim is flat-out incorrect. :4duckhunt: was chosen because he embodies the Zapper as a controller medium and that is what his moveset revolves so heavily around. He was a retro chosen by hardware akin to :4gaw: as LCD "micro" games, :4rob:as the toy he was, and :4pacman:for the arcade goodness of old Namco. The fact that they're a duo from the NES is all the similarity that lies between the two. They don't have anywhere near the same playstyle or true simlarity in moveset. It's a more wild claim than saying :4lucario: or :4myfriends: replaced :4mewtwo: or :roypm: respectively.
I completely agree, yet I have to finish what I started.

This wasn't rude. To claim something to be a fact, that is not only not true, but also confirmed by Sakurai to be false, is rude.
That's why I honestly was hopeing your comment is meant to be sarcastic.

The Ice Climbers were cut due to the 3DS limitations, they couldn't make them work on it.
I never said anything about moveset. I meant that since the Ice Climbers had to be cut, there was a need for a different NES character.

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I can't decide between these two. I'm pretty much throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks.

If anyone wants to see any specific colours, just tell me which to make what and I'll try my best.
I would use the Dark King K Rool scheme in smash battles even the White Color. Also loving the new render but i'd take him either way rare or new design.

Top Bottom