• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"He was OP so him getting cut is way too obvious"
How I laughed at those who spouted such heresy
"Your heresy shall stay your feet and you will be left behind"

At this point Smash 5 is a much better chance for Inklings than dlc but there's always a chance.

please no.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
"He was OP so him getting cut is way too obvious"
How I laughed at those who spouted such heresy
Just like how Mewtwo was cut because he was too popular and was just replaced with Lucario.
And how Lucario was going to be cut for Zoroark.
And how Ike was going to be cut for Chrom.
And how the trophies in the April Direct proved that Ridley and Ghirahim were going to be characters.
Edit: And how the Spirit Tracks stage deconfirmed Toon Link.

People have made a lot of bold claims in the speculation for this game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wow, weren't they aware that nerfs are a thing?
This was back when everyone thought Inkling would be a shoe-in *sees guns pointed at me* Let me finish! The same people expected Inklings in the game by default
Just like how Mewtwo was cut because he was too popular and was just replaced with Lucario.
And how Lucario was going to be cut for Zoroark.
And how Ike was going to be cut for Chrom.
And how the trophies in the April Direct proved that Ridley and Ghirahim were going to be characters.

People have made a lot of bold claims in the speculation for this game.
I was disappointed by no Zoroark but Greninja's better
Wait, trophy theory? *cries as I believed it*

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Inkings aren't deconfirmed. Smash already has a :4link: costume set for Mii and heargears of countless characters already playable.

Plus nothing is final until the Fighter Ballot concludes.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Inkings aren't deconfirmed. Smash already has a :4link: costume set for Mii and heargears of countless characters already playable.

Plus nothing is final until the Fighter Ballot concludes.
And Mario, Luigi and (Classic) Wario's hats, Peach's Crown, a wig of TP Zelda's hair, Sheik's mask, and Captain Falcon's Helmet included in the vanilla game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I do wish people wouldn't say "one character down, K. Rool's a shoo-in now!"

It's really disrespectful to fans of both characters.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I think the versatility of Donkey Kong's character is what makes him a great character. He could be a comical villain one minute, an all-out hero the next, and a balls-to-the-wall psychopath the minute after that. Jungle Beat was actually one of the best Donkey Kong games in my opinion even though it pretty much changed Donkey Kong entirely.
I like your point of view. I guess it has expandonged his character in ways. But there's no mistaking he was a labrat in terms of his mechanics throughout all his games. Which in terms of direct gameplay, is a step back and a step forward in many ways. I guess It's good they at least tried changing up donkey kong's gameplay... Maybe.

On the subject of the inkling costumes, I do think it technically lowers their chances of getting in, even though it is still so early, I feel this is Nintendo's way of giving a game that isn't EVEN OUT YET some type of representation in a very competitively rostered game. TO be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, it seems like instead of including Inkling characters as cross promoting DLC material, they're opting to use Mii Fighter costumes. Inkling characters COULD happen, but it would rely less on their use as advertisement and more on whether or not the fans want them.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Time Attack in DKL 3 is really crazy. I'd really like to see K. Rool use some electrical moves from Baron in Smash. Maybe as custom moves.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
As much as I'm looking forward to King K. Rool's possible inclusion, all I ask of Sakurai and his team is that they give him tools that will make him VIABLE!

• Decent or above average grab range with the grab animation being being average or only a little laggy.
  • Average or good recovery
  • Combos or setups of some kind
  • Reliable KO options or even KO setups
  • A projectile or some form of reliable spacing
  • Safe or useful approach options
  • Mobility that's average or top tier.
  • Average or no lag on his attacks.
I'd probably play as and enjoy him regardless, but I WANT K. ROOL TO HAVE TOOLS THAT WILL LET HIM TAKE TOURNAMENTS!!!

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
So how many characters do you guys think they'll actually make from Ballot votes?

If only one is getting made from the ballot, then I feel pretty worried. King K. Rool's pretty up there in votes, but there's other characters who are definitely getting a lot, if not more votes.

Isaac from Golden Sun seems to be absolutely everywhere. Every single site seems to have a good number of people voting for him (However, from what I've seen, Japan never talks about him). Not to mention, in the last Reddit survey poll, Isaac took second place over K. Rool (Banjo won 1st, but he's 3rd party and direct competition to Nintendo, so I'm not worried about him)
Shantae's probably the most popular at the moment. Japan doesn't talk about her either, but Shantae is always flooding comments on Youtube, Reddit, Smashboards, etc.
Japan seems to love Krystal from what I've seen. And while she may not be the highest voted now, with a trailer for Star Fox U coming this E3, she may pick up a lot of popularity soon.

Also, I'm not trying to sound divisive here, but even in this thread, a lot of you who are voting K. Rool are voting for Isaac or Shantae as well. Whenever I look in the other character threads, there's just not a lot of support for K. Rool. In fact, K. Rool is pretty polarizing as a character. People either love him and would kill to see him in Smash, or don't think he should get in at all.

I'm not saying you can't vote for other characters, and certainly don't antagonize people who vote for other characters, but if only one character is getting in at the end of this, I think K. Rool might not have enough votes to overcome the competition.

EDIT: damn this sounds pessimistic. I'm not trying to crush anyone's spirit, here. There's just a lot of competition.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So how many characters do you guys think they'll actually make from Ballot votes?

If only one is getting made from the ballot, then I feel pretty worried. King K. Rool's pretty up there in votes, but there's other characters who are definitely getting a lot, if not more votes.

Isaac from Golden Sun seems to be absolutely everywhere. Every single site seems to have a good number of people voting for him (However, from what I've seen, Japan never talks about him). Not to mention, in the last Reddit survey poll, Isaac took second place over K. Rool (Banjo won 1st, but he's 3rd party and direct competition to Nintendo, so I'm not worried about him)
Shantae's probably the most popular at the moment. Japan doesn't talk about her either, but Shantae is always flooding comments on Youtube, Reddit, Smashboards, etc.
Japan seems to love Krystal from what I've seen. And while she may not be the highest voted now, with a trailer for Star Fox U coming this E3, she may pick up a lot of popularity soon.

Also, I'm not trying to sound divisive here, but even in this thread, a lot of you who are voting K. Rool are voting for Isaac or Shantae as well. Whenever I look in the other character threads, there's just not a lot of support for K. Rool. In fact, K. Rool is pretty polarizing as a character. People either love him and would kill to see him in Smash, or don't think he should get in at all.

I'm not saying you can't vote for other characters, and certainly don't antagonize people who vote for other characters, but if only one character is getting in at the end of this, I don't think K. Rool will have enough votes to overcome the competition
Iwata's very words on the DLC Ballot was that they were taking the requests for future fighters. I honestly believe we will get 3-5, and given how things are shaping up, it will be full Newcomers.

King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong seem like our big 5, with my expectation being 3-5 characters.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I'm not saying you can't vote for other characters, and certainly don't antagonize people who vote for other characters, but if only one character is getting in at the end of this, I think K. Rool might not have enough votes to overcome the competition.

EDIT: damn this sounds pessimistic. I'm not trying to crush anyone's spirit, here. There's just a lot of competition.
Better to die trying than to not try at all. We'll keep fighting for him no matter what.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
If oy

If you look at the bottom of this page: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/mewtwo.html

You see 5 slots after Mewtwo. People speculate that that's the max number of new characters we'll be getting. Take away Lucas, that leaves 4. If the Ryu and Roy rumors turn out to be true, then that leaves 2 more slots. Since Shovel Knight is apparently dominating the ballot with K. Rool in 2nd place, then that's all 5 slots.

Just my thoughts on it and just a bunch of rumors. Take everything with a grain of salt until it's confirmed.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If oy

If you look at the bottom of this page: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/mewtwo.html

You see 5 slots after Mewtwo. People speculate that that's the max number of new characters we'll be getting. Take away Lucas, that leaves 4. If the Ryu and Roy rumors turn out to be true, then that leaves 2 more slots. Since Shovel Knight is apparently dominating the ballot with K. Rool in 2nd place, then that's all 5 slots.

Just my thoughts on it and just a bunch of rumors. Take everything with a grain of salt until it's confirmed.
Except.... that it's a completely different amount of slots for mobile.

This theory was played before on how many newcomers we were going to get and its a bunk idea.

MainJPW

M.T.A

This theory was played before on how many newcomers we were going to get and its a bunk idea.
There're the duplicate slots found in the patch code, unrelated to that extra spaces on the website theory.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
If oy

I wouldn't look at this as proof of anything, but the data they found for 5 extra Mario's does seem to confirm that there will be 5 DLC characters. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu taking up 3 makes it 2 more slots, so then that means we'll probably get 2 DLC characters. I don't think Shovel Knight will get in because he only has one game and he isn't even released in Japan.

But anyway, even if it's just 2 slots for DLC, that makes me feel better about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that the Five Marios we have seen are pre-ballot characters (including Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu). I say this because it's taking six months to do the ballot and while it will be used for the next Smash game, I have a hard time believing that that would do a half year poll for one character only. I'm thinking two or maybe three ballot characters.

If there is only one thought, the only one I could see as competition would be Isaac from Golden Sun although he does have the issue of being infrequently requested in Japan. Whereas King K. Rool ranges anywhere from middling to being among the most wanted newcomers in Japan. I don't see any indie characters happening for various reasons. Shantae might be a popular request now but how long will that last? As for Krystal, let's see if she shows up at E3. If she does thought, then I could definitely see her as competition to K. Rool for the ballot.

Edit: I figure I should mention I see Wolf as pre-planned even if we only have six DLC characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507

Like I said, take everything about that with a grain of salt. It was just my thoughts.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I like your point of view. I guess it has expandonged his character in ways. But there's no mistaking he was a labrat in terms of his mechanics throughout all his games. Which in terms of direct gameplay, is a step back and a step forward in many ways. I guess It's good they at least tried changing up donkey kong's gameplay... Maybe.

On the subject of the inkling costumes, I do think it technically lowers their chances of getting in, even though it is still so early, I feel this is Nintendo's way of giving a game that isn't EVEN OUT YET some type of representation in a very competitively rostered game. TO be fair.
Being innovative in games should always be a positive thing. However, Nintendo rarely ever feels like new ideas can succeed without being carried by a big franchise name. Splatoon is, oddly, the exception to this, and has received a crazy amount of publicity. Nonetheless, DK: Jungle Beat introduced some badass characters into the DK universe that unfortunately haven't been seen since outside of some stickers in SSBB. Speaking of which... VOTE FOR SUMO KONG IN TEH SMASH BALLOT M8! Just kidding. Though it would be cool if one of the evil Kongs appeared in Smash somewhere down the line.

As for the Inklings, I don't really see how they can be implemented now. The Mii costumes look too much like the Inklings, so if they were added in as 'proper' characters some people would get confused. It's like when people use a white costume for Dark Pit and a black costume for Pit in a versus match.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm thinking 6 overall DLC characters is feasible. With Royu, I'm NOT assuming Wolf is a lock, so I'm thinking something like:

-Mewtwo, Lucas
-Roy, Ryu
-2 ballot characters (one of which could still be Wolf, the other most definitely a newcomer)

3 characters a year for the next two years seems realistic. DLC support into 2017 would be surprising to me.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
As for the Inklings, I don't really see how they can be implemented now. The Mii costumes look too much like the Inklings, so if they were added in as 'proper' characters some people would get confused. It's like when people use a white costume for Dark Pit and a black costume for Pit in a versus match.
Except you really can't confuse them because of the hair and the big freaking wings.

Even Inkling would have multiple palettes and possibly extra costume details, like headphones and sports jackets.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Truth is, there is a lot of characters that are being voted for. K. Rool has more competition than a few characters. He's up there on fan polls but we don't know his overall position. We also don't know if possition even means anything. It's entirely possible that Nintendo is looking at anything from a name that sticks out to frequency of votes per day for a specific character. I believe that any character that has over 1,000 votes would be considered anyone that has over 2,000 votes would be held in a higher regard. If you support K. Rool I suggest that you vote in his favor. We don't even know if voting multiple times wipes previous votes so those voting multiple times could be wiping out previous votes with others, which potentially takes votes from K. Rool if your voting for K. Rool then *insert character*. I just say keep voting and keep voting K. Rool that's all we can do. If you haven't voted yet, get on that ballot and do so. Please :)

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I definitely don't think K. Rool would occupy his spot in the current Smash zeitgeist if it wasn't for his fans being so organized, dedicated, and united. We should pat ourselves on the back even once the fat lady sings for the work we've put in to get the character this recognized.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

Inklings could be officially deconfirmed for smash bros ballot! well better chances for king k rool!! :3

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Inklings could be officially deconfirmed for smash bros ballot! well better chances for king k rool!! :3
I wonder how many times I'll have to post this picture every time someone says Inklings are disconfirmed.
I'm in the boat their chances got better, since Splatoon representation has been confirmed. Regardless, still hyped, and their just in a similar situation to Meta Knight, Samus, and Link - Just because they have a Mii Costume doesn't eliminate their chances at all!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it rules out the Inklings as pre-ballot DLC completely but doesn't offer anything concrete otherwise, besides maybe them losing the promotional potential Nintendo might see.

I could see Sakurai saying in a post-DLC interview "oh, but the Inklings are already in the game [laughs]" though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, I definitely don't think K. Rool would occupy his spot in the current Smash zeitgeist if it wasn't for his fans being so organized, dedicated, and united. We should pat ourselves on the back even once the fat lady sings for the work we've put in to get the character this recognized.
Precisely. As much as he gets looked at as some sort of overdog frontrunner, every inch of K. Rool's current standing came from the ground up, from the fans. He had no Gematsu, ESRB or "Major" leaks to conjur up support for him out of thin air, nor did he have any recent games to draw in a following. He's had to scrap for every bit of recognition he's had thus far, and only now is it starting to pay off...from getting noticed by Retro, supported by Playtonic and a bunch of big-name YouTubers, to getting articles published about him winning in the big exit polls and getting Smashified. It's a snowball effect for which the Kutthroats in this thread are very largely responsible.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Iwata's very words on the DLC Ballot was that they were taking the requests for future fighters. I honestly believe we will get 3-5, and given how things are shaping up, it will be full Newcomers.

King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong seem like our big 5, with my expectation being 3-5 characters.
if Roy and Ryu is really happening then i see only 2 more chars tbh.

Top Bottom