• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Statistically it is unreasonable. But it is the only thing we have. I am all for K. Rool. But your Ness argument of inclusion falls flat because the inventor of Ness is the big bossman overseeing Smash. I think you are right, but using a flawed argument in protecting K. Rool's slim appearances. Except for your baseball example which does seem to hold water.

In any case, if Sakurai likes K.Rool he will show up. If not he won't. But, we do know that Sakurai was going to include Diddy and Dixie as a tagteam. Diddyn't pan out. However, mechanic or not, that does mean Sakurai dreamt about three DK reps.
I would think at this point, Sakurai is searching pretty hard for characters that have enough relevancy to be added to the already massive roster. K. Rool fits the bill quite perfectly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf might not be too pretty, but he's the ONLY BORN Gerudo male in a century of time. He's probably getting mad kitty cats.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd call that a rapist smile :smirk:
It's like him saying: You look like you've got yourself a virigin asshole. My lucky day!

So anyway, I'd totally want to sweep Bowser's face to the ground with King K.Rool actually. I think that'd be one of the first matches I'd fight as K.Rool if he got in Smash. Next, probably Mario.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd call that a rapist smile :smirk:
It's like him saying: You look like you've got yourself a virigin *******. My lucky day!

So anyway, I'd totally want to sweep Bowser's face to the ground with King K.Rool actually. I think that'd be one of the first matches I'd fight as K.Rool if he got in Smash. Next, probably Mario.
I was saddened that my first Brawl match couldn't be Mario Vs. Sonic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I remember one of my first matches of Brawl being Diddy vs Pit. Me against a friend. Was cool stuff. Glad I read up about Diddy's moves beforehand to. :awesome:

I'd probably forever main Diddy in Smash. But King K.Rool will defiitely be a secondary. Same with Donkey Kong, Ike and Mewtwo.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've always mained Mario, but I like playing with all characters semi-equally.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This isn't so much a pattern as an observation: with Brawl, Sakurai included all of the most popular characters at the time, with very few exceptions (I'd argue only one, Ridley), and few characters he added weren't fan favorites (pretty much just ZSS and ROB). It's no stretch to assume he'll carry on this mindset now, especially when popular characters are so hard to come across nowadays.

K. Rool vs. Bowser has been and will always be a lock for my first SSB4 match, assuming he's a starter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think K.Rool would be a starter. Hence why I don't expect him to be unveiled in any sort of E3 trailer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Changed the thread title per FalKoopa's suggestion. A hit or a miss? (the title, not the crown, that is)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm just wondering what we all discussed in all those pages...?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a little on the long side. The part in brackets might be unnecessary.

Plus why isn't crown spelled with a k? :troll:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Maybe people stopped coming because changing the name changes the address above? Or does the site redirect them? Idk.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This thread was linked as "K. Rool's Kountry Klub" on the board's list of character threads way back in the day, and it still works, so I don't think that's a problem.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I like the new name, but the name's not as important as the magic that happens in the thread.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just think it's admirable you do keep changing the thread title BKupa, it probably does help keep interest in the thread. I know I'm far too lazy and uncreative to do that with my thread. :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I just think it's admirable you do keep changing the thread title BKupa, it probably does help keep interest in the thread. I know I'm far too lazy and uncreative to do that with my thread. :laugh:
Well, since a K. Rool thread can't change costumes, changing its title is the next best thing. :smirk:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, I'd imagine K. Rool being a starter character. I mean, who knows at this point.
I think it's much more likely that he would be a starter.

He's not especially similar to any other characters or old/obscure. Plus he's one of the most popular characters around, so it makes sense that you'd show him off. I mean, look at Brawl's unlockable newcomers:
Lucario: He's actually the one that's hardest to pinpoint exactly WHY he's unlockable, though he took Mewtwo's place so there's that. So you'd have to ask why Mewtwo is unlockable but then you're back to where you started.
Snake: Third-party characters will always be unlockable according to Sakurai.
R.O.B.: OLD, but also kept a secret due to SSE.
Sonic: Third-party rule.
Toon Link: Similar to Link.
Wolf: Similar to Fox.

So I mean, K. Rool, Ridley... very much starter material.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think it's much more likely that he would be a starter.

He's not especially similar to any other characters or old/obscure. Plus he's one of the most popular characters around, so it makes sense that you'd show him off. I mean, look at Brawl's unlockable newcomers:
Lucario: He's actually the one that's hardest to pinpoint exactly WHY he's unlockable, though he took Mewtwo's place so there's that. So you'd have to ask why Mewtwo is unlockable but then you're back to where you started.
Snake: Third-party characters will always be unlockable according to Sakurai.
R.O.B.: OLD, but also kept a secret due to SSE.
Sonic: Third-party rule.
Toon Link: Similar to Link.
Wolf: Similar to Fox.

So I mean, K. Rool, Ridley... very much starter material.
Mewtwo was unlockable so you'd keep your GameCube on overnight.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Mewtwo was unlockable so you'd keep your GameCube on overnight.
I remember that night like it was yesterday :laugh:

I think starters generally need to be characters that are very central and most iconic to their games.
Which is why you get Pokemon trainer and Pikachu but not Lucario and why you get Fox as a starter but would never get a secondary Star Fox character starting.

I don't know the Kirby series very well but Metaknight seems like he might be the only contradiction to that. You could put that down to Sakurai bias though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I was Sakurai I'd make MetaKnight and King DeDeDe unlockables. Maybe Bowser to even.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe all but the main characters of each franchise should be unlockable

Arguably even the main characters of franchises that are spinoffs

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer even if like 70% of the cast was unlockable for some reason I cannot quite explain.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One question.

Did we ever get loads of visitors like this in the Pre-Brawl days?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One question.

Did we ever get loads of visitors like this in the Pre-Brawl days?
We get loads of visitors every time there's Smash news, and E3 slows down the server every year due to traffic. I'm sure individual threads of newly confirmed characters pre-Brawl received this kind of attention, but overall, I don't think any thread received like 27000 views in a week for no apparent reason.

In any case, post-trailer, we'll have a whole bunch more visitors and members on a regular basis. In every thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We couldn't really tell pre-Brawl cause the place was litterally flooded every day.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The expression "throwing one's hat into the ring" is used to signify one's contention for a title or position, as K. Rool is a contender to become a Smash newcomer. That, and his signature attack is throwing his crown, so this fits rather nicely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I get it now.

Hopefully I can throw crowns with K.Rool in Smash now to. :coolmonke:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I K. Rool's not in Smash 4, they better have a damn good reason.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly! I feel a DKC newcomer is overdue. I wouldn't mind no K.Rool if we got Dixie for example.

I would be more than mad if we got DK Jr. or Stanley the Bugman instead.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Would "we're running out of good characters to add, and we need to save someone for Smash 5" be a good reason? :troll:
No. They'll always have some characters to add. We still have Birdo, Skull Kid, over 700 Pokemon after X and Y, Kranky Kong, and anyone else not getting into Smash 4.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Indeed. We still have Funky Kong to support post Smash 4, and Dixie if she happens to not make it. (I'm of the opinion she will, as a clone-ish.) ALL of the Pokemon, and don't forget, there's a new Mario 3D game coming out, and a Yoshi game, etc. etc.

My real question is, after Mega Man, are there really any worthy 3rd parties? I know there's contention about Pac-Man, but I don't see the same kind of popularity for ANY third party character, or even close. Iconic status is also important. (Which Pac-Man has, but yeah)

Wait a minute...

<-----

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd rather not talk about 3rd party characters unless it's Banjo-Kazooie and the evil which has been inflicted on us forever.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd rather not talk about 3rd party characters unless it's Banjo-Kazooie and the evil which has been inflicted on us forever.
Diddy, have I told you that you're like, my favorite dude ever?

Seriously though, I think they've got a chance at some intense popularity post-Mega Man. I was thinking about this yesterday, and the fact that the game industry is being forced to become more privy to the desires of its fanbase. Unless you're EA, who's even still had to do that a few times.

However, B&K's inclusion could be just as important, if there were enough call for them, which I'm sure they could reach. I don't want to steer this thread into sad, dark places, but I have the feeling that one day they won't be a Microsoft property anymore, and the best way to ensure that is to talk!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diddy, have I told you that you're like, my favorite dude ever?

Seriously though, I think they've got a chance at some intense popularity post-Mega Man. I was thinking about this yesterday, and the fact that the game industry is being forced to become more privy to the desires of its fanbase. Unless you're EA, who's even still had to do that a few times.

However, B&K's inclusion could be just as important, if there were enough call for them, which I'm sure they could reach. I don't want to steer this thread into sad, dark places, but I have the feeling that one day they won't be a Microsoft property anymore, and the best way to ensure that is to talk!
Sad thing is I think Microsoft won't sell Rare, if only, to keep Nintendo from having it.

Top Bottom