• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Someone should do this with all of the popular characters (Ridley/ Palutena/ Isaac/ Megaman/ Little Mac/ etc.). Any volunteers?
I would, but I'm at work and I don't want someone to walk past my desk and see my computer screen with weird tentacle beasts performing questionable acts on under age bunny rabbit people... or whatever they're into on 4chan these days.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Someone should do an experiment and link the Ridley thread on 4chan or a Japanese SSB forum and see if it has a similar effect on views to what happened here.

I sill find it hilarious that people thought 27 thousand Nintendo employees suddenly all viewed this thread :laugh:
Not even a tiny tiny fraction of that would have anything to do with the development of Smash games.
If they did view the thread (which they probably do all the time anyway), we wouldn't notice.
Posting other character threads to Japanese forums would be an excellent idea, considering there's not really much else we can learn from them...according to Chrono, their wants haven't changed much.

Also, whoever was visiting the page did so over the course of a week as far as I can tell, rather than all of a sudden.

People often give K. Rool a dancing victory animation, which isn't too out of character, I guess...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think K. Rool deserves a spot just because of how under-represented the DK series is.
He also deserves a spot on his own merits, though.
Couldn't agree more. K.Rool and Ridley are in very similar spots in my opinion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Linking to the Ridley thread in a Japanese forum might not provide the results you're looking for, he's not too popular over there. K. Rool is much more so.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Linking to the Ridley thread in a Japanese forum might not provide the results you're looking for, he's not too popular over there. K. Rool is much more so.
This is true...the Megaman, Shulk and Palutena threads, and the Mewtwo and Roy veteran threads, are probably a better bet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Now that the guests have stopped visiting, should the "Now Welcoming A Multitude of New Viewers" part of the thread's name be removed?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the 'guests' have seen enough. And to be honest, this thread might have one of the best source material for moveset potential on the internet thus far. So am not too surprised people might actually see what's up with the K.Rool fans. No doubt Nintendo / Sakurai has picked up the most popular character choices for Smash, but since K.Rool support is so widely accepted, and never once questioned -unlike Ridley and MegaMan- they might look for inspiration on him.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the 'guests' have seen enough. And to be honest, this thread might have one of the best source material for moveset potential on the internet thus far. So am not too surprised people might actually see what's up with the K.Rool fans. No doubt Nintendo / Sakurai has picked up the most popular character choices for Smash, but since K.Rool support is so widely accepted, and never once questioned -unlike Ridley and MegaMan- they might look for inspiration on him.
It's possible.

Hypothecially. IF the views were by Nintendo employees, what do you think their reactions would be to this conversation? :p

Also I am curious, do the Japanese have anything against Ridley? Or do they simply view him as not as interesting as other characters?

To stay on topic, if K.Rool took a new form for this game, what would it be?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Whether or not Nintendo sees this, name one reason why K. Rool SHOULDN'T be in Smash 4. Not many characters have priority over him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
K.Rool is basically inarguable at this point. At least I would think so. The only argument I see usually is "He hasn't shown up in a main DK title lately." But that's why they can put him in and bring him back. That doesn't really mean anything.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
IIRC Metroid just isn't very popular in Japan. That probably has something to do with it.
So not as important I guess? That's a shame.

Hopefully western demand gets him and Little Mac in.

Whether or not Nintendo sees this, name one reason why K. Rool SHOULDN'T be in Smash 4. Not many characters have priority over him.
A lot of arguments could be made.

K.Rool hasn't appeared in quite some time.

Dixie deserves it more.

DK doesn't need three characters.

Stuff like that. I don't agree with that, but those are some common arguments.

@ Scoliosis

DKC and DK64 aren't main DK titles?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe the 'guests' stopped visiting cause of us knowing they're here?

New form for King K.Rool? I don't know. Maybe more fighter orientated? Though 'King Krusha Rool' from DK64 would be plenty enough answer to that. I hope they come up with something creative. Depends on Nintendo's actual plans with the character / franchise I'd guess?

To all guests: I wouldn't even care if K.Rool didn't got into Smash, as long as K.Rool, the Kremlings, more animal buddies and more familiar old Kongs would return to the franchise. Returns was a real good game, but like Jungle Beat, it went too much in it's own direction. And we, the Donkey Kong Country fans firmly believe that staying with the actual true roots of the game would be best for the franchise. The characters in DKC are just as important to fans as Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Kirby, just to name a few. Yet these franchises didn't really stray as much from the core as Donkey Kong did.

Hence why I personally appriciated PAON's efforts with the characters so much in their games. Jungle Climber to me felt far more true to the DKC-envoirmental experience than Jungle Beat, and even DKC:Returns. While I don't think Jungle Beat and Returns are bad games in their own right, both the developers tried to mark their stamp on the series too much. I think that's mainly due to unfamilarity with the series. If Nintendo EAD, Retro and PAON could all develop one true Donkey Kong Country togheter, with platform elements as DKC:Returns, usage of the Rare-made content as enemies, helper Kongs and animal buddies (characters in general) as in Jungle Beat and DK:Barrel Blast, and the deep envoirments and battle styles of Jungle Beat you'd create one big master piece that'd surely sell as good as a Mario or Zelda title. And if you must, throw in Arcade styled levels as well. Please make Donkey Kong Country RETURN propper. That's all I'd want to see.

Greetings, a longtime fan.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
K.Rool hasn't appeared in quite some time.
Neither have the Ice Climbers

Dixie deserves it more.
Debatable, but why not both? The DK series isn't undeserving of 4 reps, seeing as it has sold almost 54 million units.

DK doesn't need three characters.
Kirby and StarFox do. The Kirby series has sold 32 million units, and the StarFox series has sold 11.5 million units. Compare that to DK's 54 million. 4 isn't even out of the question, IMO.

I know you're not arguing those, but I'm breaking them down one by one to show their weaknesses.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The only problem I have with your argument is that the Ice Climbers are a little different. They are a retro inclusion and aren't necessarily held to the same standard as the rest of the roster

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only problem I have with your argument is that the Ice Climbers are a little different. They are a retro inclusion and aren't necessarily held to the same standard as the rest of the roster
Yeah. This is the only real flaw with your counterpoints Holt. Retro choices are special.

Although I think Kirby deserves all three reps. Starfox is debatable.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
King K. Rool was in Mario Super Sluggers if that counts, but by that logic, Ness is in the same boat.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool is basically inarguable at this point. At least I would think so. The only argument I see usually is "He hasn't shown up in a main DK title lately." But that's why they can put him in and bring him back. That doesn't really mean anything.
He still has 'overall relevance to the series' as a big favour on him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Kirby reps that we have are basically all we need. So Kirby is fine. Star Fox on the other hand has been in a lot of trouble and I myself don't think that they need 3 yet.

Or if you are going to have 3 characters from one series, then you should have a new game in the series to help advertise it. Spots on the roster are like advertisement spots. For a series like Star Fox, which hasn't had a new game since Command, they need to have at least 1 new game before they get anyone else imo.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The point you are missing (Ben Holt) is the Sakurai opinion. Sakurai chooses. He chose Ice Climbers out of a horde of Retro characters. He chose Ness because he made Ness. Not every character can go through a broad spectrum of logic. The best guesses we have our through Sakurai's eyes. And the best way (unless you personally know him) is by looking at his patterns.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The Kirby reps that we have are basically all we need. So Kirby is fine. Star Fox on the other hand has been in a lot of trouble and I myself don't think that they need 3 yet.

Or if you are going to have 3 characters from one series, then you should have a new game in the series to help advertise it. Spots on the roster are like advertisement spots. For a series like Star Fox, which hasn't had a new game since Command, they need to have at least 1 new game before they get anyone else imo.
That's what I think every time I see a roster with Krystal.

He still has 'overall relevance to the series' as a big favour on him.
I agree 157%.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
King K. Rool was in Mario Super Sluggers if that counts, but by that logic, Ness is in the same boat.
True, but the overall relevance to that appearance is minor. He was an unlockable character in a spin off to a series that isn't even his own. This is a HUGE demotion from his previous position as DK's villain.

As for Ness, I've never played the Mother series but I consider him the face of the franchise. But like I said, i've never played it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The point you are missing (Ben Holt) is the Sakurai opinion. Sakurai chooses. He chose Ice Climbers out of a horde of Retro characters. He chose Ness because he made Ness. Not every character can go through a broad spectrum of logic. The best guesses we have our through Sakurai's eyes. And the best way (unless you personally know him) is by looking at his patterns.
I'm sure the big guys in Nintendo have quite a bit of influence.
Also, there are no real "patterns". There just haven't been enough games in the series to look at and say, "Ooh! A pattern!"
If Sakurai, by some crazy chance, doesn't put K. Rool in, then how many characters honestly have priority over him?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Patternism is a way of looking at it, but you cannot expect it be to 100% accurate ever.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
True, but the overall relevance to that appearance is minor. He was an unlockable character in a spin off to a series that isn't even his own. This is a HUGE demotion from his previous position as DK's villain.

As for Ness, I've never played the Mother series but I consider him the face of the franchise. But like I said, i've never played it.
You should pick you up a new copy. It's only $4000-5000. :p
And K. Rool not being in Donkey Kong Country Returns is kind of like Bowser not being in Super Mario Bros. 2. K. Rool is still the main villain of the DK series, much like Ness is the face of the Mother series.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You should pick you up a new copy. It's only $4000-5000. :p
And K. Rool not being in Donkey Kong Country Returns is kind of like Bowser not being in Super Mario Bros. 2. K. Rool is still the main villain of the DK series, much like Ness is the face of the Mother series.
Thing is Bowser reestablished his role pretty quickly. K.Rool hasn't. That's where the problem lies.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He's the face of 1 game, not the series. The second game of three.
Wasn't in the first or last. That makes him seem like an odd choice.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'm sure the big guys in Nintendo have quite a bit of influence.
Also, there are no real "patterns". There just haven't been enough games in the series to look at and say, "Ooh! A pattern!"
If Sakurai, by some crazy chance, doesn't put K. Rool in, then how many characters honestly have priority over him?
Statistically it is unreasonable. But it is the only thing we have. I am all for K. Rool. But your Ness argument of inclusion falls flat because the inventor of Ness is the big bossman overseeing Smash. I think you are right, but using a flawed argument in protecting K. Rool's slim appearances. Except for your baseball example which does seem to hold water.

In any case, if Sakurai likes K.Rool he will show up. If not he won't. But, we do know that Sakurai was going to include Diddy and Dixie as a tagteam. Diddyn't pan out. However, mechanic or not, that does mean Sakurai dreamt about three DK reps.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thing is Bowser reestablished his role pretty quickly. K.Rool hasn't. That's where the problem lies.
No, the problems lies with Nintendo money-milking the hell out of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon and not really giving a **** about it's other beloved series.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I think King K Rool shouldn't be in smashbros because hes ugly. And ugly people should be avoided in our gaming fantasy worlds if possible.
(Wario forced his way in, Hes the exception)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think King K Rool shouldn't be in smashbros because hes ugly. And ugly people should be avoided in our gaming fantasy worlds if possible.
(Wario forced his way in, Hes the exception)
What about old man Gdorf?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Patternism is a way of looking at it, but you cannot expect it be to 100% accurate ever.
Patterns are a valuable tool though. Not to just accept them, but to understand why it is they exist. Obviously some patterns are either imagined or coincidental.

Top Bottom