• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So I had a dream last night that King K. RoOl was confirmed to be a stage hazard or a boss in Smash Run..1 of those. I have hope for him still..but he seems less likely just because of how I believe Sakurai sees him. I look at the pros and the cons of him getting in as playable and always find myself having more cons as to why he wont be playable..but ugh..I hope he does..hes my most wanted by a long shot..we need villains..and King K. is the best!!!!! LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
So I had a dream last night that King K. RoOl was confirmed to be a stage hazard or a boss in Smash Run..1 of those. I have hope for him still..but he seems less likely just because of how I believe Sakurai sees him. I look at the pros and the cons of him getting in as playable and always find myself having more cons as to why he wont be playable..but ugh..I hope he does..hes my most wanted by a long shot..we need villains..and King K. is the best!!!!! LONG LIVE THE KING!!!
What exactly are these cons?

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

Just a little WIP for my animation for all my homies here on the K. Rool thread.
Experimenting as I go with the K. Rool design I wanna eventually run with and I kinda like this. One of those happy sparks of minor brilliance that come along (quite often in my case) where it just clicks. Did it quite quickly too, just glancing at a Google image search page for extra detail references. Mostly based on the Paon design. As is usually the case with me. (I like that one the best honestly. I think it's because he's so round.)

For context he's saying (or at least trying) the word "been". As in:
Where on earth have YOOOOOOOU been?!
I might modify this slightly for a banner design. Close his mouth or something.

Edit: Fun Fact! I started this as 24fps with the run time of 2:12. Early on but not so early that I hadn't started yet (regrettably) I decided to bump it up to 30fps to give me some more leeway for some of my ideas. I've only just finished fixing stuff but I've clocked it at a fun 3960 frames I'm going to be hand-drawing! Yaaaaay! And I've not even finalised everything yet! That drawing above is just the start of a rough sketch layer!

tl;dr version: Basically, if King K. Rool does not appear in Smash Bros as a playable character I'm going to kill myself. Because this project might do the job for me!!! :O

...Impending eventual breakdown, rhetorical life questions (What am I doing with mine, etc) aside. If I complete this--and I know I can-- it'll be my first successful animation project since university! And it'll be my first big boy project!
(My past efforts have been 12fps because I'm a weak babby.)

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Debbie Downer :(.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, what are some of everyones favorite things about the king?

One of mine? His tiny little cape. I do not know why, but it exemplifies his absurdity and the humor always gets to me here.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Why? From my perspective things seem to be looking good for him, certainly more so than most other characters:

Pros:
- Very popular in fan requests at around the time the roster would've been decided
- Unique from other characters
- Kremlings making appearances in Sm4sh
- Potential Kremling boss for Smash Run
- Little competition for his slot: there aren't any realistic characters who really compete with him in terms of playstyle. Also, one con I see coming up for other character suggestions (specifically Pokemon and Mario) are that they have too much competition from within their series. Regardless of whether you believe this or not, K. Rool comes from a comparatively under-represented series and doesn't really have this kind of competition - Dixie Kong is the closest and I don't think they are really competing as they are distinct enough and that would still only bring DK up to 4 slots, which I think is a reasonable number to have.

Then, in terms of cons, the only one that seems even close to legitimate to me is his lack of appearances lately, although Pit and Game & Watch suggest to me that this is not a particularly damning point for him. Some people will argue Gematsu but thanks to Rosalina & Luma I think that's neither here nor there.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'd say K. Rool's only major downer is that he has an extremely legitimate contender for the 3rd DK slot in Dixie.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd say K. Rool's only major downer is that he has an extremely legitimate contender for the 3rd DK slot in Dixie.
I still think that K. Rool is more likely than Dixie because he's far more pouplar and we could use more villains.

Guys, please keep the wishlists out of this thread. That one was made by a GameFAQs troll.
I read it. He said "to prove my legitimacy, Wario will be announced by the end of next week." Almost EVERYONE things Wario will be next, anyway. (Frankly I agree with the whole list except Dixie over K. Rool, as much as I want both Dixie and K. Rool. Well, I do think its incredibly possible Chrom got shafted after Sakurai thought he was too similar to Ike.)

Generally I agree, but I don't like it when they bash Dixie.
A couple of people do that, but most people don't. I certainly don't like bashing Dixie myself, considering the fact that she's my favorite DK character. I just want K. Rool in Smash Bros. more than Dixie.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Personally, I think Dixie is unlikely to get in at this point unless she's a secret semi-clone. The biggest point in her favor is her relevancy due to Tropical Freeze, but so far in-game evidence suggests that Tropical Freeze was too late and will not be receiving content in Smash. When Tropical Freeze is taken out of the picture, Dixie and K. Rool suffer from similar "relevancy" issues, putting them on more equal footing. In that case, I think K. Rool is clearly the superior choice.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Personally, I think Dixie is unlikely to get in at this point unless she's a secret semi-clone. The biggest point in her favor is her relevancy due to Tropical Freeze, but so far in-game evidence suggests that Tropical Freeze was too late and will not be receiving content in Smash. When Tropical Freeze is taken out of the picture, Dixie and K. Rool suffer from similar "relevancy" issues, putting them on more equal footing. In that case, I think K. Rool is clearly the superior choice.
We do at least know that Sakurai was willing to use Dixie as she was nearly on Brawl (and despite popular belief, random text on a random Japanese website is not a credible source for saying she was to be a partner for Diddy).

Dixie has been generally used more than K. Rool too, she was in a couple party games (hoops and Diddy Kong Racing both spring to mind) and I think she was used in one or two of the Donkey Konga games.

I personally think it's 50/50, it could go either way. Though I'd rather have K. Rool.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
We do at least know that Sakurai was willing to use Dixie as she was nearly on Brawl (and despite popular belief, random text on a random Japanese website is not a credible source for saying she was to be a partner for Diddy).

Dixie has been generally used more than K. Rool too, she was in a couple party games (hoops and Diddy Kong Racing both spring to mind) and I think she was used in one or two of the Donkey Konga games.

I personally think it's 50/50, it could go either way. Though I'd rather have K. Rool.
Dixie isnt in diddy kong racing...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

And Dixie was not in the original DKC or DK64, nor was she in the main story of King of Swing except a brief cameo. She was in Jungle Climber, but once again not in the main story (she's only playable in Multiplayer and one of the side modes).

K. Rool and Dixie have been used about the same number of times really.

Dixie isnt in diddy kong racing...
She was in Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Personally my thought is that Dixie has her hair spin attacks replace Diddy's tail spin attacks, and maybe a few of the same of Diddy's punches plus a slightly modified Peanut Popcun to shoot Gumballs, with everything else being updated to something that's more Dixie. Her side smash being a bubblegum blow, recovery her ponytail whirl TF and side special her original ponytail whirl. No idea on down special, maybe hair pound.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not that I've added them up or anything, but if I'm remembering correctly, Dixie has a single appearance over K. Rool thanks to Tropical Freeze (unsure if ports were counted). It is worth noting that, in the vast majority of his roles, K. Rool is front and center as the main villain, whereas many of Dixie's roles are as a side character with no plot relevance. Not that this has any real impact on Smash at all, but it's noteworthy trivia.

I don't think there's anything you can point to as a definitive 'con' for K. Rool other than Sakurai being Sakurai and doing Sakurai things.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I personally think DK could see them both appear.
Because why does it have to be one?

D

Deleted member

Everyone blames Miis for development costs yet conveniently ignore Palutena having 12 different Specials...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Was more referring to development time.
At least a lot of the moves the Miis use are clearly borrowed from other fighters, so they wouldn't have taken up as much development time as three completely unique characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I AM happy that the Mii's are in, I do agree that they should have been lower priority.
For all we know, they WERE lower priority, hence why it took Sakurai this long to announce them, while characters like Dixie Kong and K. Rool have been in the game the whole time and they're just not planned to be announced before release. Or Sakurai felts that Mii's deserved to be in other characters because it allows people to create a larger variety of characters. Personally, I think Mii's count as a "customizable" option and not as actual characters.

Everyone blames Miis for development costs yet conveniently ignore Palutena having 12 different Specials...
I don't think Palutena having 12 different specials means much. Pit already used all those attacks in Uprising anyway; Sakurai just had to port them directly from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I personally think DK could see them both appear.
Because why does it have to be one?
I do think K. Rool and Dixie should both be in, but the chances of that are slim at this point. We seem to be getting a smaller cast overall and smaller list of newcomers. In the past two titles at least two franchises got new characters, but I doubt it'll be the case this time. (I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, though.)

Although, if either K. Rool or Dixie are announced before release, I'll personally believe that the other is unlockable in the game.

At least a lot of the moves the Miis use are clearly borrowed from other fighters, so they wouldn't have taken up as much development time as three completely unique characters.
This, too. They borrowed moves from existing characters. For all we know, Sword Mii is based on a few of Isaac's moves and that Cannonball/bowling ball move is based on one of K. Rool's (dropping cannonballs down onto the battlefield, based on DKC). Gunner Mii's Final Smash is just cloned from Samus as well.

D

Deleted member

Make no mistake, I'm not happy about that either. Though it's mostly personal dislike for the character, and my growing suspicion of the 'Sakurai favoritism' theory.
Just wait until Meta Knight is revealed.

....he hasn't thus far because he too has 12 special moves! :laugh:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...no comment.
Obviously the specials had to be tweaked to work in Smash Bros., but as a whole, I don't see how it adds that much more development time to everyone else having 12 specials anyway. They're not fully different specials, but they still had to be balanced separately.

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice

One of mine? His tiny little cape. I do not know why, but it exemplifies his absurdity and the humor always gets to me here.

The fact that he's alot different from alot of other villains, how it seems like he kinda has personality disorder, King , kaptain, scientist, boxer etc etc, he truelly seems crazy and that makes him seem so intimidating yet loveable and funny, that and his look, how he dwarfs all the kongs and that insane bloodshot eye.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

K. Rool only has a tiny cape in the cartoon (probably because it was harder to animate), K. Rool's cape in the games is always full-length.

The fact that he's alot different from alot of other villains, how it seems like he kinda has personality disorder, King , kaptain, scientist, boxer etc etc, he truelly seems crazy and that makes him seem so intimidating yet loveable and funny, that and his look, how he dwarfs all the kongs and that insane bloodshot eye.
Ugh yes, his expressions and hilarious and so awesome. I absolutely love all of his alternate personalities and his complete insanity. Its just great.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
I kind of doubt that considering Tropical Freeze was planned to be launched in november, a month after X and Y which has it's own representation in Smash, including it's own character (Greninja).

I still think that K. Rool is more likely than Dixie because he's far more pouplar and we could use more villains.
I agree that Smash needs more villains but as of now, Sakurai seems not to be focusing on them. Also, females seem to be getting a bit more focus than past Smash games.

For all we know, they WERE lower priority, hence why it took Sakurai this long to announce them, while characters like Dixie Kong and K. Rool have been in the game the whole time and they're just not planned to be announced before release. Or Sakurai felts that Mii's deserved to be in other characters because it allows people to create a larger variety of characters. Personally, I think Mii's count as a "customizable" option and not as actual characters.
You know, Miis probably were low priority as they are in the multi-man brawl for this game. Sakurai probably just ported them over to playable status.

Edit: If you don't believe me on the Miis, watch the 3ds Smash trailer again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRq5bz6ZNYU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I kind of doubt that considering Tropical Freeze was planned to be launched in november, a month after X and Y which has it's own representation in Smash, including it's own character (Greninja).
Pokemon is kind of its own unique thing when it comes to choosing characters to represent it. And we've known about the presence of X and Y content in Smash for quite some time now, long before Greninja was ever revealed. We still have yet to see any content or reference to Tropical Freeze, and instead have seen content pulled from older Donkey Kong games and Returns. I think the evidence is clear.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon is kind of its own unique thing when it comes to choosing characters to represent it. And we've known about the presence of X and Y content in Smash for quite some time now, long before Greninja was ever revealed. We still have yet to see any content or reference to Tropical Freeze, and instead have seen content pulled from older Donkey Kong games and Returns. I think the evidence is clear.
I don't think you should count it out just yet. The DK franchise itself isn't getting much representation which is... weird. :laugh:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Here's my two cents on the Dixie issue: I'm going to say that K. Rool is more likely to make the initial roster, but Dixie is still very likely to be added as DLC. Even if K. Rool makes it into the initial roster, that doesn't mean that Dixie is completely out of the running. I personally don't think it's worth it to argue about who is more likely in this case, because in my opinion, it's very likely that we'll get both.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This pertains to the K.Rool DLC thing, so I'll post it here.

We have our group for DLC support and discussion. Feel free to ask BKupa or myself for an invite. The Twitter for K.Rool seems to be working well (getting a retweet from Grant Kirkhope is freaking awesome) and the one for Snake was started today.

If you're interested, let one of us know and we'll add you.
---

Anyway, K.Rool seems to have maintained his popularity over all this time, so hopefully not being in a few games wouldn't stop him. I mean it could, but it would be stupid reasoning.

Tropical Freeze content not being in the game thus far may not mean much. For all we know, they could combine both DKCR and TF into one stage. Make it normal at first, but then get frozen over time. Could be cool.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sooo... I heard a leak is floating around, and it contains Dixie.

Where did it come from?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I agree that Smash needs more villains but as of now, Sakurai seems not to be focusing on them. Also, females seem to be getting a bit more focus than past Smash games.

You know, Miis probably were low priority as they are in the multi-man brawl for this game. Sakurai probably just ported them over to playable status.

Edit: If you don't believe me on the Miis, watch the 3ds Smash trailer again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRq5bz6ZNYU&feature=youtu.be
Mii's being the multi-man event in this game does not surprise me whatsoever, I figured that'd be the case. Also, Mii's are based on existing characters, even if they're not 100% identical they're still quite close to existing characters. Heck, people have noted that Mii Swordfighter greatly resembles Isaac. Mii Gunner definitely looks very similar to Samus, too, even with a cloned Final Smash (yeah, its three beams, but the three beams work identical to Samus' FS).

Sooo... I heard a leak is floating around, and it contains Dixie.

Where did it come from?
The leak stated that Gematsu + Ridley, Isaac, and Dixie Kong were the remaining newcomers (note that unlikely Gematsu, he said REMAINING), and Mewtwo is back. He also said that for further proof of his claim, Wario will be announced by the end of next week.

Which anyone could've guessed anyway. Wario is already the character almost everyone thinks will be announced next anyway, and people are expecting an announcement very soon, either this week or next week. So yeah, even if Wario is announced it was just something expected, and based on what I'm seeing so far, K. Rool looks more likely than Dixie Kong due to all this Kremling love, and I'm even going to go over this in my K. Rool video (which probably won't be ready for a couple of days; I did the vocals last night but that's the easiest part and I still have other work I need to do :p).

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I am trying to piece together every single Pro and Con of King K. RoOl being in the initial roster, but I am not sure if I have seen all the Directs or Smash media thus far. Does anyone know what is against King K besides relevance...because obviously that did NOT stop Megaman...

If someone could make a complete pros and cons list for his playable inclusion from the news we have thus far that would be great! As far as I can tell he has more pros...but some of his pros like the Kremlings being in Smash Run people say that they were just randomly put in like the Tikis....what do you say to that? Help my mind y'allll

Top Bottom