• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Regarding the title...

I'm not the first one to make the joke, am I?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, what if there actually was a pic of the day post showing off a Gangplank Galleon stage with the caption "And enemy from Donkey Kong's past could appear at any second?" Would that be a confirmation of a boss role? Or could it be that King K. Rool, as well as Ridley, are actually playable and only teased as bosses?

Last edited:

fill

20EggsEggs
You know, what if there actually was a pic of the day post showing off a Gangplank Galleon stage with the caption "And enemy from Donkey Kong's past could appear at any second?" Would that be a confirmation of a boss role? Or could it be that King K. Rool, as well as Ridley, are actually playable and only teased as bosses?
i'd lean towards the boss role if that caption happened

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We'd have to wait to see what happens with Ridley to have a better idea, right? And K. Rool's role still might differ from Ridley's, and the caption must just be a bait-and-switch if that were true.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We'd have to wait to see what happens with Ridley to have a better idea, right? And K. Rool's role still might differ from Ridley's, and the caption must just be a bait-and-switch if that were true.
In all honesty, if that scenario were to occur, I would lean towards both being playable rather than both being bosses. Both Ridley and K. Rool are very highly requested newcomers; while I can definitely believe Sakurai would make Ridley a boss, pulling the exact same stunt with K. Rool seems too much like teasing. I would see it as confirmation that he knows what we want and, to an extent, what we're afraid of happening, and that he's playing with our hopes to drastically increase the hype generated when the characters are finally revealed.

D

Deleted member

I'd think at that point that both would be a boss in some form. However, I highly doubt they'll do such teasing towards King K. Rool this game; the teasing of a boss role wouldn't work out nearly as well as it did for Ridley.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd think at that point that both would be a boss in some form. However, I highly doubt they'll do such teasing towards King K. Rool this game; the teasing of a boss role wouldn't work out nearly as well as it did for Ridley.
You seem to imply that it worked out well for Ridley.

D

Deleted member

You seem to imply that it worked out well for Ridley.
On August 20th, 2013, Sakurai teased Ridley as a boss role by saying "Samus's trauma might arrive!" (or something like that). While there were initial panic, most of us eventually came to the conclusion that Sakurai was trolling us and was hyping up a playable Ridley. Then came Smash Direct where Ridley was teased in the context of a boss again, this time more blatantly. While a large portion of Ridley supporters have given up (myself included) or at least doubt playable Ridley, there is still a large minority who still believe that this helps Ridley's chances, if not outright confirm him. Sakurai's intention was to tease the fan base with stage boss Ridley and it has been successful, even if I disagree with the role Ridley is being placed in.

If Sakurai did it with King K. Rool after Ridley's disconfirmation (unless a miracle occurs and Ridley gets both a stage boss and a playable role), the vast majority of people would know right away that King K. Rool would be a boss. I don't think lightning will strike twice.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On August 20th, 2013, Sakurai teased Ridley as a boss role by saying "Samus's trauma might arrive!" (or something like that). While there were initial panic, most of us eventually came to the conclusion that Sakurai was trolling us and was hyping up a playable Ridley. Then came Smash Direct where Ridley was teased in the context of a boss again, this time more blatantly. While a large portion of Ridley supporters have given up (myself included) or at least doubt playable Ridley, there is still a large minority who still believe that this helps Ridley's chances, if not outright confirm him. Sakurai's intention was to tease the fan base with stage boss Ridley and it has been successful, even if I disagree with the role Ridley is being placed in.

If Sakurai did it with King K. Rool after Ridley's disconfirmation (unless a miracle occurs and Ridley gets both a stage boss and a playable role), the vast majority of people would know right away that King K. Rool would be a boss. I don't think lightning will strike twice.
That, and Stage Hazardley or no Stage Hazardley, the Pyrosphere (or, as people used to call it, Geothermal Power Plant) was always a really likely stage choice, with Ridley making sense as a boss there if Sakurai was never going to include him to begin with. But bringing back the Gangplank Galleon from 1994 (along with Kremlings), just to turn its captain into a shoddy boss? Is that really something that would happen?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That, and Stage Hazardley or no Stage Hazardley, the Pyrosphere (or, as people used to call it, Geothermal Power Plant) was always a really likely stage choice, with Ridley making sense as a boss there if Sakurai was never going to include him to begin with. But bringing back the Gangplank Galleon from 1994 (along with Kremlings), just to turn its captain into a shoddy boss? Is that really something that would happen?
I'd hope that he wouldn't, but we can't exactly put it past Sakurai to do just that. He's done sillier things, that's for sure.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I would think such a thing would be of little concern, especially since K. Rool would have very little to work with as a Smash-styled boss anyway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd hope that he wouldn't, but we can't exactly put it past Sakurai to do just that. He's done sillier things, that's for sure.
I've been giving it thought, and it would have to depend on a few variables, namely: are bosses chosen for stages or are stages chosen for bosses? If Sakurai screws up and thinks K. Rool would be best-suited to be a boss (which...would require a warped mindset, to say the least), he could bring back the Gangplank Galleon for that reason. But if stages are chosen first and foremost, like I would assume they are, there's no reason to put in an SNES era DKC stage unless K. Rool is playable.

D

Deleted member

I've been giving it thought, and it would have to depend on a few variables, namely: are bosses chosen for stages or are stages chosen for bosses? If Sakurai screws up and thinks K. Rool would be best-suited to be a boss (which...would require a warped mindset, to say the least), he could bring back the Gangplank Galleon for that reason. But if stages are chosen first and foremost, like I would assume they are, there's no reason to put in an SNES era DKC stage unless K. Rool is playable.
I really doubt stage are going to be chosen specifically for bosses. I don't think that every stage is going to have a stage boss and Sakurai has always chosen stages first, so why change that now?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
what is this quotation and news update everyone is talking about which I do not know of!?!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm really seeing K. Rool as playable, Sakurai will be trolling us so hard if him is a boss or Assist Trophy, also the Kremlings's presence in the game already gives him a great chance.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I feel like K. Rool's chance is a coin toss at this point. If Sakurai chooses to acknowledge fan demand, then we may be seeing him at e3! If he prefers to appeal to casuals with characters like Miis, K. Rool's ship has sunk.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I feel like K. Rool's chance is a coin toss at this point. If Sakurai chooses to acknowledge fan demand, then we may be seeing him at e3! If he prefers to appeal to casuals with characters like Miis, K. Rool's ship has sunk.
Isn't everybody's chances of getting in pretty much like a coin toss? Either you're in or you're not to make it blunt. Other variables "we" think help or hinder people is only stuff that makes sense to us.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

LOL @ this post, specially the bold parts.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Isn't everybody's chances of getting in pretty much like a coin toss? Either you're in or you're not to make it blunt. Other variables "we" think help or hinder people is only stuff that makes sense to us.
I mean that he has about a 50% chance in my book. Someone like Frederick for example is certainally miles away from a coin toss :)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, what are the chances of K. Rool being revealed at E3? What if he isn't? Is E3 the deal-breaker for him, or could he still end up in the game as a secret character?

D

Deleted member

So, what are the chances of K. Rool being revealed at E3? What if he isn't? Is E3 the deal-breaker for him, or could he still end up in the game as a secret character?
If King K. Rool isn't shown at E3, I bet that there is a chance that he is a hidden character.
I only see E3 be the deal breaker for 3rd party characters like Snake and Pac-Man.

D

Deleted member

LOL @ this post, specially the bold parts.
IIRC, aren't you the same person that claims Ridley is likely going to be playable even after the Smash Direct?
I doubt King K. Rool is going to show up at E3, so I'd hardly call it a deal-breaker for him. If he is in, he will most likely be a secret character.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Nah, he could be revealed at any time. E3 is only a dealbreaker for characters like Ridley and Pac-Man.
I'd argue Ridley could be unlockable, as could K. Rool. Ridley's downfall is if he's shown in Pyrosphere. K. Rool could appear on a DK stage, but it seems unlikely. Pac-Man i think is do-or-die for E3.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think the only characters who are really do-or-die for E3 are the third party newcomers. Every other character has a case to be made for why they could be unlockable. Not Pac-Man, though...that sort of characters would be paraded around for as many eyes to see as possible if they were in. Even Snake, while almost certainly dead if not at E3, could feasibly be shown in a Direct like Sonic was.

Top Bottom