• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I am so tempted to buy this series on DVD...
It's been my life for the past few weeks. As someone who never watched it growing up I find it oddly fascinating. (It's just so...bad I can't help but be charmed by it.)

Even if it's just to hold a relic of the past.
Same here friend. I guess after joining smashboards, I realized how badly I wanted King.K.Rool, so I have been trying to get my fill of the croc. I have no idea, why but I decided to revisit the TV show and I pretty much watched every episode. I don't even know why. It is SO bad. The completely random and horribly sung songs (Scurvy's crystal coconut song is amazing), the animation has aged so badly, and half the time the plots have massive holes, or just didn't make sense at all. Despite all that, I just can't help but watch it. It is so bad, it rolls over the scale and becomes good again.

And speaking of all the DKC compared to DKC2, I think DKC2 was a little better, but the first one did well for introducing the series. I will say, I always felt DKC2 music was so beyond magical, and no game since has emulated the ambiance DKC2 created. When you were in the ship, the music made you feel like you were in a ship. If you were in a cave, the clanking of the music made you want to pick up a pickaxe. Thats my favorite part about DKC2, how it just sucks you into its world.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
It has been a long journey for fans of King K. Rool such as myself. Nearly six and a half year has passed and we still do not know anything in regards to King K. Rool fate in Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U. No indication of what Sakurai thinks of King K. Rool, nothing aside from a trophy, he really is a character we don't know the thoughts of from the man that has brought Super Smash Bros. into existence. But despite how little we know about Sakurai's thoughts on playable King K. Rool and his absence in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, fans have remained strong and have not given up.

Those who were around pre-Brawl may recognize that Diddy Kong was among the Top 10 most wanted characters worldwide for Brawl. The push for Diddy Kong's inclusion was massive and relentless as characters, especially since so many were disappointed when he did not get into Melee. When Diddy Kong was confirmed, so many fans around the world celebrated his inclusion as one of the most wanted Nintendo characters had finally gotten in. It was then when King K. Rool and Dixie Kong started to rise in demand with the bigger push going towards King K. Rool. As a matter of fact, many assumed that a third DK character would happen for Brawl and many were disappointed when they figured out that wasn't the case.

Six and a half years later, King K. Rool's future in the Donkey Kong franchise seems uncertain. King K. Rool has been absence ever since Super Mario Sluggers, having not appeared in Donkey Kong Country Returns or Tropical Freeze. Many are worried that King K. Rool is dead and is never returning. Despite this, there is most certainly hope for King K. Rool's inclusion in this game.

King K. Rool is likely the third most wanted character for this game and as such, the most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Not only is he extremely strongly wanted in the West (behind only Mewtwo, Mega Man and probably Ridley), he's also highly requested in Japan; a feat that few characters have accomplished (by contrast, Ridley is barely even requested there). Sakurai does take fan demand into account (although how much remains to be seen, though he certainly did it for Mega Man), so this is likely going to be enough for Sakurai to note.

K. Rool's recent absence does not diminish his importance to the franchise. After all of these years, he is still seen as the main villain of the franchise; he has appeared as the antagonist for the majority of the Donkey Kong games; including the trilogy, DK64, the Donkey Kong Land games, DK King of Swing, and DK Jungle Climbers. Other villains of the DK franchise simply cannot compare; no one has appeared as the main antagonist more than once and as such, have not been able to successfully replace K. Rool as the main villain. As a matter of fact, Tiki Tong and to a greater extent, Lord Fredrik, have inspiration from King K. Rool. There's also speculation that the rock here looks similar to King K. Rool. The Banana crown looks similar to King K. Rool's crown, so while it hasn't been confirmed that the rock was meant to look like King K. Rool, the similarity can't be denied. Regardless, Retro Studio haven't forgotten about King K. Rool and it wouldn't be surprising if they returned in DKCR3.

Another thing to note is that Kremling are appearing in Smash Run. For the first time in nearly six years, we have seen Kremlings appear. What makes their appearance important is the fact that like K. Rool, they have not appeared in years and we have yet to see any other types of enemies brought back like this (other enemies have been making recent appearance). Clearly, it'd be very surprising if K. Rool was just a trophy in this game so this almost certainly means King K. Rool is going to receive a larger role in Smash. An Assist Trophy role seems unlikely as well since it'd be strange for the Kremling King to be an Assist Trophy while there are enemies as well. At this point, we are probably looking at either a boss role or a playable character here, which no indication of what it is. However, with him being probably the most wanted Nintendo newcomer, being the primary antagonist of the DK franchise, and really no legitimate counterpoints against him, he has a good shot of being playable. The only question at this point is if Sakurai sees him as worthy of playable status.

I am very hopeful that I am right here. King K. Rool has been among my top three most wanted characters here for the past few years (ever since I first became active in the speculation scene in June, 2011) and I have wanted him for even longer. Now that Mega Man is in, King K. Rool is currently my most wanted character. As someone who loved Donkey Kong Country, DKC2, and DK64, I have always liked King K. Rool as a villain and very much missed having him around. DKC was likely one of the first games I've beaten on my own (and the first SNES title at it) and have particularly fond memories of that title. It was great to see Diddy Kong finally appear in Brawl (despite not playing as him too much, he is my favorite Donkey Kong character) and I hope that King K. Rool will follow with Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U.

Very soon could King K. Rool's role in the next Smash game be disclosed to the community. It is possible that E3 2014 will show off the entire roster there for hype purposes. There's also the possibility of mass dis-confirmation occurring just like in the Smash Direct so even if the roster doesn't get entirely shown off, fans should watch out for K. Rool's role there because it is possible that he either gets confirmed or disconfirmed as a playable character. Plus there is also the chance that if there are more newcomers beside the eleven that Sal Romano has leaked (the unconfirmed being Mii, Pac-Man, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, and Chorus Men) that Sal will leak the last batch of characters for this game. This final leak, if true, will determine whenever or not King K. Rool is playable in the game.

Regardless of what happens, we as fans will stick together until the very end. The Kremling King is counting on you to make his come back finally happen. Say it with me:

KING K. ROOL FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 3DS & WII U!
Very well said. I can't believe we're mere weeks away from E3 as well as the game finally. K. Rool is my favorite gaming villain of all time and I remember getting confused as a kid when I didn't see him in Jungle Beat (It was this and the post PS1 Crash and Spyro games that probably got me more aware of wanting to learn more information about games and who is making them). I remember being quite satisfied during Brawl because I felt lucky enough to finally get Diddy back. DKC Returns made me sad that the Kremlings and their King were shafted for new enemies but held in their believing this was just a one shot DKC game....

Then came Tropical Freeze. A+ game, what the hell happened to K. Rool?! It was this game that finally made me break my silence and start demanding for K. Rool's excruciatingly long and overdue return. The wait for the game was an emotional roller coaster over finding out if K. Rool was in or not as I was even resorting to writing blogs about how K. Rool is needed. I gave up once I realized it was Fredrik and kinda shut myself up. Funnily enough, hours before the Smash Bros Direct, I told my friend that I was going to convince myself that K. Rool would be announced and hype myself up just for no reason at all.

Smash Run came and so did the Kremlings. My jaw literally dropped when I saw them, I was genuinely surprised. I started researching more about the Smash Bros side of K. Rool and how he's one of the most requested characters in both the East and West. I discover this place which brings us to now. Here I am meeting people who feel the same way as I do for K. Rool. Nintendo can try all they want, the old Donkey Kong Country elements are slowly stitching itself back together with the Kremlings and K. Rool probably joining in soon. Maybe it won't be this game, maybe it will. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As far as K rool not being in recent games;

well, I didnt play DKCR or TF, but- at least by my vague understanding of the latter, it seems like K Rool is almost not fitting as a final villain, given the theme.
If they are a trilogy, as I do not know, he could easily be the big finale.
Again, without spoilers, just my thoughts; that rock in the pic below makes me wonder... a lot.

Maybe K Rool even is Tiki Tonga and Lord whatever.... 0_o
better costumes

There's also speculation that the rock here looks similar to King K. Rool. The Banana crown looks similar to King K. Rool's crown, so while it hasn't been confirmed that the rock was meant to look like King K. Rool, the similarity can't be denied.
Whoa; where in the game is this exactly? That is insane. The eye makes it seem like too much

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
As much as i love metroid, right now im actually hoping that retro is working on DKCR 3 and that the king finally returns in it.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
As much as i love metroid, right now im actually hoping that retro is working on DKCR 3 and that the king finally returns in it.
It has to be the master plan. What a perfect way for the King to make his return as the Final boss of the final New DKC trilogy. Bring back all the classic Kritter minions. Would sell like hot cakes I swear.

Also, lets say K.Rool was announced at the end of Smashbros portion of the upcoming E3. Given that a bunch of newcomers have these really cool CGI intros, what do you imagine K.Rool's would be like?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whoa; where in the game is this exactly? That is insane. The eye makes it seem like too much
I believe it's in the first level of the Bright Savannah world, Grassland Groove. I don't really lean toward either the people who are somehow certain it's a K. Rool reference and the people who ridicule those who even hint that they think that. That being said, when it came to the attention of some random Retro employee on Twitter, he posted "Haha, I think that's reaching," but not "No, it's not a reference" outright. Take that for what you will.

Also, I'm enjoying this latest trend of everyone discussing their K. Rool-related memories in this thread. Someone brought it up in here before, I remember, but it's just further proof that our support for the character stems from enjoyment of the character and what he represents to us, rather than just from us bandwagoning.

D

Deleted member

What BKupa666 said.

And I did NOT notice the eye. I though it was something else entirely I was noticing.
Also, I'm enjoying this latest trend of everyone discussing their K. Rool-related memories in this thread. Someone brought it up in here before, I remember, but it's just further proof that our support for the character stems from enjoyment of the character and what he represents to us, rather than just from us bandwagoning.
K. Rool has something called the "life support" effect. When a character seems to be in danger of disappearing off of video games/not getting into Smash, instead of supporters giving up, they become even more fierce in their support of said character. That's pretty much what happened to King K. Rool after he was shown to not be in Returns and Tropical Freeze. Similar thing happened to Mega Man when his franchise got drugged through the bushes and he managed to get in. It doesn't necessarily raise a character's chances (see, Ridley), but it does highlight the passion people have for said character.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do you hear that guys? Ike is the sound of 'muh recency' taking yet another hit to the balls.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Do you hear that guys? Ike is the sound of 'muh recency' taking yet another hit to the balls.
Ike's 'descendant' appears in Awakening, so.. I guess not entirely? :beezo:

And I did NOT notice the eye.
I noticed it immediately. It was the centerpiece of the entire picture. It looked like K. Rool, head turned to one side, with big, bloodshot eye staring down at the Kongs.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
That "King K. Rock" was done on purpose. I'm not very serious, of course, but I don't think that would've been accidentally created.

D

Deleted member

I was just about to bring that one up. Honestly, it makes me feel a little better about K. Rool because if Sakurai isn't excluding a characters from a non-recurring franchise for recency reasons, he's definitely not going to exclude K. Rool for not having made a recent appearance where recency "matters" even less (he is the primary villain of the franchise after all; importance trumps over recency every day of the week).

okay, it really doesn't mean anything towards K. Rool's chances, but just let me be optimistic here.

Edit: Now that Ike is confirmed, the only character I care about hearing at this point is King K. Rool. If he makes it in as playable, I will officially retire from speculation for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Except Ike appeared in Brawl and is an incredibly popular character. He may not necessarily be relevant to the Fire Emblem series, but he is relevant to Smash Bros.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
So I haven't been following this thread very well, so you guys may have covered this topic... But Doesn't K. Rool have a bit of competition with Lord Fredrick?

I mean, given they are both giant, obese leaders of their clan, and him being the more recent antagonist of the Donkey Kong series as of now...
That being said, I would prefer K. Rool over him. He's just more familiar and iconic to me, and I think he deserves some time in the spotlight again C:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I haven't been following this thread very well, so you guys may have covered this topic... But Doesn't K. Rool have a bit of competition with Lord Fredrick?

I mean, given they are both giant, obese leaders of their clan, and him being the more recent antagonist of the Donkey Kong series as of now...
That being said, I would prefer K. Rool over him. He's just more familiar and iconic to me, and I think he deserves some time in the spotlight again C:
As cool as the Snomads are (heh), I find it unlikely that Sakurai would put in a one-shot character from the latest game in a long-running franchise.

No, Pokemon and Fire Emblem don't count.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I wouldn't mind Fredrik honestly. But there's him, and then there's K. ROOL, the hugely popular, recurrent and awesome main Donkey Kong bad guy. I'm sorry to say that between the two, I personally feel K. Rool would crush Fredrik like a bug when it comes to getting in Smash. Fred is no competition for the Kremling King.

I'm honestly not sure that Tropical Freeze will get that much representation, tbh. What I would like, honestly, is a brand new design for K. Rool, with his King outfit thrown in for retro fans, much like Mac and Wireframe Mac.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
As said before, I don't know if Fredrick is as popular as K.Rool, especially with K.Rool being much more requested. As well he is much like the Tiki's before him. Fredrick's defeat was pretty anti-climatic. K.Rool's first defeat faked you out, and Kaptain K.Rool you actually had to defeat again after defeating some of the hardest stages in the game.

Since we can assume like the Tiki's he is a one off, it makes him seem a lot less intimidating. K.Rool's kept coming back and kept putting DK and his family's life in danger, making him feel like a bit more of a threat. I would love to find out in a third version of New DKC that Fredrick and the Tiki's were both henchmen of K.Rool who failed and then he decides to get things done himself.

D

Deleted member

Except Ike appeared in Brawl and is an incredibly popular character. He may not necessarily be relevant to the Fire Emblem series, but he is relevant to Smash Bros.
Relevance is synonymous to importance, not recency. King K. Rool doesn't need recency to get in, but he does need relevance and considering he's the primary antagonist of the franchise, of course he has it.

fill

20EggsEggs
What I would like, honestly, is a brand new design for K. Rool, with his King outfit thrown in for retro fans, much like Mac and Wireframe Mac.
this made me think if they made him like his king of swing / sluggers (without egyptian) / jungle climber look but gave him a throwback alt costume like wireframe mac, so krools would be a 3d model in 2d mode like all the country games

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ike having his Radiant Dawn design rather than his "sword-for-an-arm" Awakening design is good news for anyone who wants K. Rool to have his iconic Rare design rather than the polarizing Paon one.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Ike having his Radiant Dawn design rather than his "sword-for-an-arm" Awakening design is good news for anyone who wants K. Rool to have his iconic Rare design rather than the polarizing Paon one.
Paon one? Am I missing something?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Ah. I knew the original Rare design, but I wasn't sure what was meant by 'Paon Design'. Thanks!

Having said that, I think both designs are just fine.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Edit: Accidental Post

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that Fredrik will not appear in SSB4 in any way, shape, or form. I say this not because I dislike the character (although I do), but because neither did Ghastly King, Jungle Beat's one-off main villain, in Brawl (at least as far as I remember). Hell, even alternative Mario villain King Boo didn't appear at all (again, as far as I remember), despite being far more prominent and recurring (and awesome) as a character.

As a whole, I think the Vikings may be lucky to get a sticker or trophy; they're very, very new and, unlike Greninja, presumably don't have a Pokemon Company breathing down Sakurai's neck, pushing for their inclusion.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Idea: Have the new DK stage be based on Donkey Kong Country Returns, but give Tropical Freeze some representation by having the Snomad ships sailing in the background of the Summit/the new Ice Climber stage.

D

Deleted member

Also interesting is that Mega Man looks exactly like his NES design and that the Villager has his City Folk design instead of the one from New Leaf (though I am not sure how much this means). Since K. Rool has been absent since 2008, this will likely give Sakurai more reason to use the Rare design than the Paon design.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I suppose if sakurai had been given any info on the setting themed DKC trilogy currently out; we have tropics, we have tundra.... and ultimately the big plan must be K rool in the end.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It has been a long journey for fans of King K. Rool such as myself. Nearly six and a half year has passed and we still do not know anything in regards to King K. Rool fate in Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U. No indication of what Sakurai thinks of King K. Rool, nothing aside from a trophy, he really is a character we don't know the thoughts of from the man that has brought Super Smash Bros. into existence. But despite how little we know about Sakurai's thoughts on playable King K. Rool and his absence in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, fans have remained strong and have not given up.

Those who were around pre-Brawl may recognize that Diddy Kong was among the Top 10 most wanted characters worldwide for Brawl. The push for Diddy Kong's inclusion was massive and relentless as characters, especially since so many were disappointed when he did not get into Melee. When Diddy Kong was confirmed, so many fans around the world celebrated his inclusion as one of the most wanted Nintendo characters had finally gotten in. It was then when King K. Rool and Dixie Kong started to rise in demand with the bigger push going towards King K. Rool. As a matter of fact, many assumed that a third DK character would happen for Brawl and many were disappointed when they figured out that wasn't the case.

Six and a half years later, King K. Rool's future in the Donkey Kong franchise seems uncertain. King K. Rool has been absence ever since Super Mario Sluggers, having not appeared in Donkey Kong Country Returns or Tropical Freeze. Many are worried that King K. Rool is dead and is never returning. Despite this, there is most certainly hope for King K. Rool's inclusion in this game.

King K. Rool is likely the third most wanted character for this game and as such, the most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Not only is he extremely strongly wanted in the West (behind only Mewtwo, Mega Man and probably Ridley), he's also highly requested in Japan; a feat that few characters have accomplished (by contrast, Ridley is barely even requested there). Sakurai does take fan demand into account (although how much remains to be seen, though he certainly did it for Mega Man), so this is likely going to be enough for Sakurai to note.

K. Rool's recent absence does not diminish his importance to the franchise. After all of these years, he is still seen as the main villain of the franchise; he has appeared as the antagonist for the majority of the Donkey Kong games; including the trilogy, DK64, the Donkey Kong Land games, DK King of Swing, and DK Jungle Climbers. Other villains of the DK franchise simply cannot compare; no one has appeared as the main antagonist more than once and as such, have not been able to successfully replace K. Rool as the main villain. As a matter of fact, Tiki Tong and to a greater extent, Lord Fredrik, have inspiration from King K. Rool. There's also speculation that the rock here looks similar to King K. Rool. The Banana crown looks similar to King K. Rool's crown, so while it hasn't been confirmed that the rock was meant to look like King K. Rool, the similarity can't be denied. Regardless, Retro Studio haven't forgotten about King K. Rool and it wouldn't be surprising if they returned in DKCR3.

Another thing to note is that Kremling are appearing in Smash Run. For the first time in nearly six years, we have seen Kremlings appear. What makes their appearance important is the fact that like K. Rool, they have not appeared in years and we have yet to see any other types of enemies brought back like this (other enemies have been making recent appearance). Clearly, it'd be very surprising if K. Rool was just a trophy in this game so this almost certainly means King K. Rool is going to receive a larger role in Smash. An Assist Trophy role seems unlikely as well since it'd be strange for the Kremling King to be an Assist Trophy while there are enemies as well. At this point, we are probably looking at either a boss role or a playable character here, with no indication of what it is. However, with him being probably the most wanted Nintendo newcomer, being the primary antagonist of the DK franchise, and really no legitimate counterpoints against him, he has a good shot of being playable. The only question at this point is if Sakurai sees him as worthy of playable status.

I am very hopeful that I am right here. King K. Rool has been among my top three most wanted characters here for the past few years (ever since I first became active in the speculation scene in June, 2011) and I have wanted him for even longer. Now that Mega Man is in, King K. Rool is currently my most wanted character. As someone who loved Donkey Kong Country, DKC2, and DK64, I have always liked King K. Rool as a villain and very much missed having him around. DKC was likely one of the first games I've beaten on my own (and the first SNES title at it) and have particularly fond memories of that title. It was great to see Diddy Kong finally appear in Brawl (despite not playing as him too much, he is my favorite Donkey Kong character) and I hope that King K. Rool will follow with Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U.

Very soon could King K. Rool's role in the next Smash game be disclosed to the community. It is possible that E3 2014 will show off the entire roster there for hype purposes. There's also the possibility of mass dis-confirmation occurring just like in the Smash Direct so even if the roster doesn't get entirely shown off, fans should watch out for K. Rool's role there because it is possible that he either gets confirmed or disconfirmed as a playable character. Plus there is also the chance that if there are more newcomers beside the eleven that Sal Romano has leaked (the unconfirmed being Mii, Pac-Man, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, and Chorus Men) that Sal will leak the last batch of characters for this game. This final leak, if true, will determine whenever or not King K. Rool is playable in the game.

Regardless of what happens, we as fans will stick together until the very end. The Kremling King is counting on you to make his come back finally happen. Say it with me:

KING K. ROOL FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. 3DS & WII U!

Great, great, great, post. E3 is almost here and that last line is something we have to keep reading. As a group, K. Rool fans have helped raise the Kremling king's prominence wherever we contribute (Smashboards, Miiverse, etc). That is something to be proud of. It's hard to maintain momentum for a character that the video game developers themselves have cast aside. That is an exceptional outcome, no matter how this all ends.

E3 is almost here and I'm excited about what it will bring us. :-)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Idea: Have the new DK stage be based on Donkey Kong Country Returns, but give Tropical Freeze some representation by having the Snomad ships sailing in the background of the Summit/the new Ice Climber stage.
Wouldn't be the first time a cameo from another series showed up on the new Ice Climber stage (looking at you, Balloon Fighter fish).

Last night, I saw some guy on a seemingly-casual Smash thread on a Survivor forum supporting K. Rool amid clusters of posts glorifying "OMG Wii Fit Lady!" and wondering "Is Meta Knight gonna get cut?" The Kutthroats' territory is growing!

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
The level design is pretty bland and streamlined the whole way through, and when there are gimmicks it doesn't do a good job in combining the platforming with said gimmick. (That one where you have you turn on the lights to avoid the invincible Kremlings? Yeah, most of the jumps you make is to get the lights on.) And if you take away these gimmicks the game is SO basic. Plus enemy placements are random and terrible, it's hard to see what's coming from the screens. (doesn't help the hit detection in the game is actually screwed up.) The game is an absolute mess. DK is my second favorite Nintendo character, only behind Wario, and it's hard to use him when Diddy is just better in every way. Returns and Tropical Freeze handled DK way better than Rare ever did.

DKC2 improved on it in so many ways I still have a hard time believing this is by the same team behind DKC1. But I don't want to derail this thread with DKC1 vs the rest so let's take it to PM if you want this discussed further.
I'm just simply going to say two each his own although I still completely disagree with you regarding DKC1. Let's just say this, if you're the kind of gamer who likes continuity in story or gaming(or both nowadays) then playing the first DKC is worth it anyway being how you leave off in DKC2 from where you fought K. Rool in the final battle from the first game(gangplank galleon).

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I don't know if this has been disproved or not, but supposedly this is the leaked character select screen of the Best Buy demo. And all the characters are organized by game series.

There are 2 locked characters after DK. One of them is obviously Diddy. Fingers crossed.

Same goes for Ridley. Two blank spaces after Samus.

I mean, there's a good chance this is fake buuuuuuuuut speculating is what this thread's all about, right? :yoshi64:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Notice the line going through Marth's head in the second pic.

A big thing to ignore if you're a menu designer.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I don't know if this has been disproved or not, but supposedly this is the leaked character select screen of the Best Buy demo. And all the characters are organized by game series.

There are 2 locked characters after DK. One of them is obviously Diddy. Fingers crossed.

Same goes for Ridley. Two blank spaces after Samus.

I mean, there's a good chance this is fake buuuuuuuuut speculating is what this thread's all about, right? :yoshi64:
Well, so far, there's nothing to indicate this is fake, but who knows? Considering we're getting down close to two weeks 'til E3, well, I'd say it's safe to say Best Buy probably has their demo copies and whatever other materials they're going to need, and enough time to prepare it. It's anyone's guess at this point.

Notice the line going through Marth's head in the second pic.

A big thing to ignore if you're a menu designer.
Good eye, but I'd imagine he's translucent because the character hasn't been properly selected yet.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Good eye, but I'd imagine he's translucent because the character hasn't been properly selected yet.
In that case there would have been a hand cursor holding the coin (if you will) like all other Smash games, wouldn't it?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
In that case there would have been a hand cursor holding the coin (if you will) like all other Smash games, wouldn't it?
Who knows? It's possible that you just control the little dot/icon/thing instead of a hand. I'd imagine that streamlines things a bit, and you can always back out of menus just holding B for a second, which is more convenient overall.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Who knows? It's possible that you just control the little dot/icon/thing instead of a hand. I'd imagine that streamlines things a bit, and you can always back out of menus just holding B for a second, which is more convenient overall.
Well that actually seems a bit inconvenient to me. The cursor was a very good visual indication of the control you have, having it be limited to just the coin seems confusing and unnecessary (for an established thing in the series, no less) in my eyes.

It's a bit weird that you can't hover over a character's icon if you already selected a character, for example.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well that actually seems a bit inconvenient to me. The cursor was a very good visual indication of the control you have, having it be limited to just the coin seems confusing and unnecessary (for an established thing in the series, no less) in my eyes.

It's a bit weird that you can't hover over a character's icon if you already selected a character, for example.
Doesn't seem inconvenient to me. There's no reason to have a cursor anymore. You can change colors/alts with X/Y, the cursor was only good for exiting menus and choosing characters, and after you've chosen your character you can back out of menu's with B, as I said. The only thing that I can see being confusing is opening up CPU's and setting their difficulty.

So, again, who knows? There might be a cursor, but it's off screen.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Doesn't seem inconvenient to me. There's no reason to have a cursor anymore. You can change colors/alts with X/Y, the cursor was only good for exiting menus and choosing characters, and after you've chosen your character you can back out of menu's with B, as I said. The only thing that I can see being confusing is opening up CPU's and setting their difficulty.

So, again, who knows? There might be a cursor, but it's off screen.
But if you can back out of the menu with B, how can you unselect the character.

And just for reference, here's the Brawl demo character select screen.

I don't see any reason for the locks unless they want to give away the amount of characters (and even what series is gonna get repped, like DK and Metroid), which I very much doubt considering how secretive this game is. Moreover, the choice of characters is weird. Why are Bowser and Mega Man locked? Also if they have the time to take two angled picture with a good focus, then couldn't they have just taken a proper picture of the whole character select screen?

It's a really good fake though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom