• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac is like a B or C of how wanted characters were.
Are we seriously gonna put Little Mac against Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, etc? The heavy hitters of popularity?

To answer the above, most people wanted an AC character not villager. And Rosalina definitely catered to a very specific crowd, not at all even the top Mario character people wanted.
Actually it seems little mac was actually highly desired. I actually never played any of his games, so I didn't think he was that popular, but surprise, surprise. I have seen plenty of places and a few youtube vids, and surprisingly everyone was going nutts.

Moral of the story is just because you don't like or follow a certain series, dosent mean people the characters aren't popular. I tend not to post in threads about games I dont play for that reason. I have never played a fire emblem game, so posting in a thread for Chrom really carries no weight to any argument I make.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Little Mac is like a B or C of how wanted characters were.
Are we seriously gonna put Little Mac against Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, etc? The heavy hitters of popularity?.
S: Mewtwo
A: Ridley, K.Rool, Little Mac, Palutena

This is pretty much how they went.

Check around the internet. :4littlemac: is and was super popular.

Do some research.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That post by @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei is basically right...with the Western fanbase, that is. Ridley and Little Mac drop a bit when you consider how one-sided their support is, region-wise, compared to guys like K. Rool and Palutena.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That post by @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei is basically right...with the Western fanbase, that is. Ridley and Little Mac drop a bit when you consider how one-sided their support is, region-wise, compared to guys like K. Rool and Palutena.

Eh, I've been around the internet a lot. I'm fine with little mac, tis not about my preference, he did not get nearly as much in want as the others listed.

But another difference is that the others had been wanted in past games, as well.

Rosalina, across the board, just had a cult following.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, I've been around the internet a lot. I'm fine with little mac, tis not about my preference, he did not get nearly as much in want as the others listed.
He kinda did.

Little Mac was a hugely requested character.

But another difference is that the others had been wanted in past games, as well.
Little Mac had a pretty big following in Brawl too.

The remake isn't why he got so much popularity.

Rosalina, across the board, just had a cult following.
I agree. Same with Greninja.

Regardless! Back to K.Rool!

Anyone know why he was so popular in Japan?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'd imagine the same reasons he's popular in the west. He's a fun character and a great villain in a popular series. For Smash Bros. popularity, it's probably the same as well. Long overdue, represents an under-repped series with villain cred to his name, and absolutely loads of move potential. I don't think the fans overseas really aren't that different from us, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
K.Rool is such a painful character for me right now. The only characters I need back in the game are Wario and G&W and I have pretty much every character I have really mained. But with those characters I feel will be in with little worry. While there are many newcomers I would be happy to see, K.Rool is the only one I truly cant stop hoping for. He is a character I would of though would be in already. So instead of feeling confident such a unique and interesting villain character will be back in, I have to anxiously wait for several more months for even a chance to see if he will be brought in finally. Really for me he is the only character that if he doesn't make it as a playable character, I would be pretty upset. I'll especially be upset if Dixie makes it in over him. Not even saying I dont like Dixie and that she couldn't be unique and interesting, just that all she really is, is a female Diddy. K.Rool would bring such a uniqueness to the DK roster.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have faith in K. Rool finally becoming playable for oodles of reasons. Like I said before, the Kritters are the biggest piece of evidence he's got going for him, can't have them without thinking of their leader, right? Then I'll say the Donkey Kong Land games hitting JP virtual console is another for me. They may not be new games but it shows that Nintendo isn't afraid of acknowledging the Kremlings (in Japan anyway). Reason the third for me will have to be, well, who the hell else is left for bringing into Smash Brothers? Brawl practically grabbed everyone that everyone wanted minus a select few and this Smash Bros looks to be picking up the stragglers now and then some. All people want this game is more villain representation and the return of a Melee fighter. How easy is that?

The reasons why King K. Rool should be playable I would imagine has been said over again around here, because why not?! Despite what i just said, K. Rool can just as easily get shot down like that. The only obstacle in K. Rool's way now is whether Sakurai feels like doing it or not. Sigh, only E3 will tell I guess. On an even more personal level, is it me or should it be guaranteed that K. Rool should be in just because of his facial expressions alone? Sakurai is really going all out on the characters facial expressions this game and K. Rool has had a history of having that goofy yet manic face while staring directly into the player as he tosses his crown, how he zooms through the arena using his blunderbuss giving a passing glance or when that blunderbuss blows up on him.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
S: Mewtwo
A: Ridley, K.Rool, Little Mac, Palutena

This is pretty much how they went.

Check around the internet. :4littlemac: is and was super popular.

Do some research.
The below list is how I'd rate characters' popularity and fan excitement before they were (or are) revealed as playable , as measured by my general sense of the amount of chatter and support on about 10 websites I visit (Smashboards, GameFAQS, IGN, Reddit, lots of blogs, Miiverse, etc):

Popularity of potential Newcomers for Smash Wi U/3DS, before their confirmations:

• S tier : ----- Megaman, Mewtwo (because Mewtwo is just as wanted in Japan as in the West)
  • A+ tier : ----- Ridley, King K. Rool (it's impossible to miss how much Ridley dominates discussion just about everywhere on the internet; his thread here is 681 pages. And K. Rool has the 2nd biggest support thread by a large margin. K. Rool is highly requested in Japan too).
  • A tier: ----- Palutena Post Leak
  • A- tier : ----- Little Mac (a good portion of his support pre-reveal came from a large number of people who seemed to be more casual Smash players, on lesser known websites, although he still had a really big following on the bigger sites). He was hardly known in Japan, however.
  • B+ tier : ----- Chrom / new fire Emblem rep, Palutena Pre Leak (I'm counting hype only pre-leak for Palutena: she wasn't discussed nearly as much before her leak and the subsequent hints/teasing from Sakurai)
  • B tier : ----- Villager (most people thought Sakurai had ruled him out completely, so he wasn't discussed or hoped for nearly as much as he would've been. Pac-Man, Krystal (Krystal has a large number of dedicated followers, despite what I believe is a very low chance of being playable. Her thread is 60 pages), Shulk, Isaac
  • B- tier : ----- Waluigi, Ghirahim, Bowser Jr.
  • C+ tier : ----- Rosalina & Luma, Bandana Dee (although Bandana Dee's thread is bigger than Krystal's on Smashboards, I don't see him talked about nearly as much on other sites and forums).
  • C tier : ----- Medusa, Hades, Robin, Takamaru, Professor Layton, Geno (it's crazy how many of Geno's fans abandoned him since pre-Brawl)
  • C- tier : ----- Wonder Red, Bayonetta, Tingle
  • D+ tier : ----- Ashley, Dillon, Skull Kid
  • Z- tier : ----- Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Kids, Greninja

Last edited:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Characters that are the first and only rep for their series probably have it a little easier. Villager was a little harder as said by Sakurai in Brawl, when he claimed he just couldn't figure out a way to make such a peaceful character fight (when he did Villager became well known for being a psychopath.) Little Mac had a lot of good stuff going for him this time, including having an updated new game on the Wii, and being pretty small means he cant fall into any sort of boss status. Its nice to see the two though, I am very excited to see how Villager turns out.

K.Rool really has no reason to not be playable at this point, but this is such a huge game and I have no idea if Sakurai will put him in, so its pretty stressful to have to wait. A lot of newcomers I will be happy to see, but K.Rool is another character I would love to try maining.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This was my list of popularity from the Roster Discussion thread a few weeks ago. It's a tad rough, but I think it's mostly correct, with the possible exception of Palutena being more competitive with Western-onlies Ridley and Little Mac.

S: Mewtwo, Mega Man, “DK Newcomer”
A: K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, “Mario Newcomer,” “Joe Schmoe As Long as He's Flashy and Unique”
B: Pac-Man, Shulk, “Fire Emblem Character Not Named Chrom,” Chrom, “Retro Newcomer,” “New Series Newcomer”
C: Dixie Kong, Takamaru, Isaac, Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, “Zelda Newcomer,” Ghirahim, Krystal, Roy
D: “F-Zero Newcomer,” Waluigi, Mii, "Animal Crossing Newcomer," Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow
F: Pretty much every individual new series newcomer and most remaining veteran series supporting characters
I (for Individuals Turn These Characters into Memes): Impa, Anthony Higgs, Bandana Dee, Kawashima, Nintendog, Brash the Bear
N (for Not Requested Once Before E3 2013): Wii Fit Trainer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's say that K. Rool does get his three costumes, but here's the catch. K. Rool has more than four special moves. How so? Well, K. Rool has his King outfit, his Kaptain outfit, and his Roolenstein outfit. While playing as K. Rool, he can change between his costumes to obtain his special moves by pressing the Down B button. The original would have his special attacks from DKC/DK64, his Kaptain outfit would have his attacks from DKC2, and his Roolenstein outfit would be from DKC3. The attacks and Final Smash would remain the same as well as the Down B, but the netural, up, and side B would change based on costume. This should give K. Rool a total of ten special moves to work with.

Not sure if it's a good idea, just though I'd mention it.
For what Xzsmmc said.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Nintendo's fan base today are from the late N64/early Gamecube era (I started to game in summer, 1998 for example). Donkey Kong 64 sold over a million in Japan and obviously K. Rool was the antagonist of that game. It's because of so many Japanese gamers remembering K. Rool fondly around that time that there's a high demand for him oversea.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Changing the specials with costumes is a good idea in theory - but the rest of the moveset would largely end up consisting of generic scratches, bites and body slams if that were to happen - in order to keep all 3 in-line (keep in mind that you can't see the tail when he's Kaptain or Baron). K. Rool's moveset needs to have quirky attacks to match his quirky characteristics. I'd much rather have a blunderbuss slam with his fsmash than say, a punch.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That idea could actually work well if enough effort is put into balancing it.

Kaptain K. Rool could focus on projectiles, but his recovery would be terrible, while Baron K. Roolenstein would focus less on attack, a bit more on defense and would have the best recovery of three, as some examples. The costume changing should also definitely have some limits, taking a few seconds for the change to complete and restricting the move to being usable only on the ground.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
K. Rool's moveset needs to have quirky attacks to match his quirky characteristics. I'd much rather have a blunderbuss slam with his fsmash than say, a punch.
I want a blend of quirky and brutal.

Like attacks that when you see it you can practically feel the impact. He's supposed to be a giant crocodile after all, being ruthless is in his nature.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I want a blend of quirky and brutal.

Like attacks that when you see it you can practically feel the impact. He's supposed to be a giant crocodile after all, being ruthless is in his nature.
Of course he needs brutality in there. But by trying to do a K Rool set where all the costume characteristics (the blunderbuss, the crown toss, Baron's sciency stuff) are only present on the specials, it eliminates a lot of his potential standards and smashes.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
K. Rool shouldn't be a stance dance character. His moveset potential does indeed come from is different personas, but individually, they're rather bland.

DKC1? Trample all the things
DKC2? Shoot all the things
DKC3? Shock all the things
DK64? Box all the things.

As I have previously stated in a very similar post, the common factor between them is being a bigass croc that moves way too damn fast for how big he is... and smashing into his enemies with dat girth.

KingKRool

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about a charge attack that when released sends K Rool sprinting across the stage, sending all enemies in his path flying? Sorry if this has already been suggested. It just popped into my head just now when I was thinking about the way he runs back and forth across the ship during the fight in DKC1.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Of course he needs brutality in there. But by trying to do a K Rool set where all the costume characteristics (the blunderbuss, the crown toss, Baron's sciency stuff) are only present on the specials, it eliminates a lot of his potential standards and smashes.
I don't think that will heavily deteriorate K. Rool, after all specials are only 4 moves out of like 26. You can still highlight a character through standard attacks, aerial attacks, and throws too. Which isn't hard to do considering this is a character that is pretty unstable and brutal.

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Holy crap it's been a while since I came here. XDD

Still supporting ol' K. as strongly as usual, if not more. If E3 doesn't reveal him, then I'll be just slightly discouraged. But I have faith in the awesome Kremling King. He deserves his time in the spotlight.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just mentioning this again because I still haven't been added
I'll add you when I go back through the thread's recent pages in my next update, never fear.

@ Davidreamcatcha Davidreamcatcha I absolutely understand where you're coming from with the standards, how could I not after MYM, but in trying to look at what Sakurai will likely do, I don't expect to see any of his weapons expanded upon outside the specials, other than maybe a blunderbuss vacuum grab. If it took sacrificing a few unique projectile standards to bolster the common perception of K. Rool as unique with a stance-changing special, I wouldn't really mind all that much.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I could also see the blunderbuss used for some standard attacks. Like for example, one idea is K. Rool scooping up the opponent and then firing them as his forward throw.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Well it's more that I just don't want a moveset that could easily be interchangeable with any other reptile heavyweight outside the specials. If you could port like all of his moves to Bowser with no changes, that'd be disappointing.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I spent 20 minutes explaining to my friend why K Rool is a good choice.

He has unrealistically high standards.

D

Deleted member

Well, he's all like "K Rool wouldn't even do anything cool" and he hates Wii fit trainer's guts
This statement is pretty funny since King K. Rool can do even far more cool things than Wii Fit Trainer can ever hope to do.
I would be surprised if he didn't go back on his word after the King K. Rool trailer...

Speaking of which, we are getting 90 minutes of Smash, aren't we? I'll be surprised if we didn't get multiple newcomer trailers. If that's the case, King K. Rool should be one of them.

Groose

Smash Champion
I spent 20 minutes explaining to my friend why K Rool is a good choice.

He has unrealistically high standards.
See, pal, that's why you get better friends. My best friend (the one who is probably doing a midnight release with me) also has K. Rool as his most wanted character.

Actually, K. Rool is the one character that all three of my friends that play Smash agree would be awesome. Must be a side effect of growing up when the GBA ports of DKC were cranking out. There is one toobigot that doesn't want Ridley, and all three of them are pretty indifferent on Palutena. The only character they all agreed on other than Rool is Waluigi, and he's gone now.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
See, pal, that's why you get better friends. My best friend (the one who is probably doing a midnight release with me) also has K. Rool as his most wanted character.

Actually, K. Rool is the one character that all three of my friends that play Smash agree would be awesome. Must be a side effect of growing up when the GBA ports of DKC were cranking out. There is one toobigot that doesn't want Ridley, and all three of them are pretty indifferent on Palutena. The only character they all agreed on other than Rool is Waluigi, and he's gone now.
Ironically, he's probably a better friend than who I consider close friends.

Mostly the reason why he didn't think he could work is cause he only knew of the first boss battle. I showed him ask the other stuff he could do and he warmed up to it.

Anyways, K Rool and Isaac are the only ones left for me that have a realistic chance, and I'm pretty confident in K Rool. that's going for me, I guess.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Ugh I wish I had some more friends to talk about smashbros with. My one friend I do get to see a lot was so disappointing in Brawl, that he doesn't want to get hype at all for smash, so he is assuming the worst right now so he can't be brought down if the new smash turns out bad. It sucks because while I wasn't happy with Brawl, I know this time around just not to assume it will be the best game ever and to be just a tad cautious. So I really cant speculate much with him because he just assumes we wont see much in the way of new characters. Always a real downer when the subject comes up. Which is why I jumped back into Smashboards, so I have a place to vent the hype I keep getting.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm lucky. I've got a friend who's into Smash Bros., and he likes a lot of things I like.. but we still wind up getting into surprisingly in depth arguments about why some characters should and shouldn't be in.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
God I would love for that. My friend isint very open to many characters getting in. The only one he agrees with me getting in is K.Rool. He feels Palutena has just about as much chance getting in the game as a character from Custom Robo though. He hasn't really played Kid Icarus, and I think he misjudges her chances, cause while I dont know if a Custom Robo character has huge chances, I know Palutena has a lot going for her. But its really hard to talk to him about this sort of stuff, as once again he is in the mindset that the game is going to be awful, even going as far to say we will likely get only two more newcomers who would become clones. Oii..

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I told my friend K. Rool should be in Smash. He said "Who's that?". We are no longer friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom