• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's no way to know that, BUT, we do know for a fact that King K. Rool is the 2nd most recurring villain in Nintendo's history, behind only Bowser.
Ganon is more recurring pal but I do think Sakurai knows of his emmense popularity he's even popular in Japan.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It appears he thinks that the Kremlings are, so logically that should also mean K. Rool is as well. Or if nothing else, he's aware of K. Rool.
I wouldn't say that inclusion in Smash Run counts as "a big deal." Then you could say the same thing about Chandelure or Roturret.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Ganon is more recurring pal but I do think Sakurai knows of his emmense popularity he's even popular in Japan.
I'm pretty sure K. Rool has been in more games than Ganon or Ganondorf, but not both of them combined (depends on whether or not you consider them as the same character). IIRC

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I wouldn't say that inclusion in Smash Run counts as "a big deal." Then you could say the same thing about Chandelure or Roturret.
I see what you're saying, but I think what makes it such a big deal is the fact that the Kremlings have been missing for a while. Their last appearance was in Mario Super Sluggers, a spin-off title. Yeah, Chandelure and Roturett, they're unique enemies Sakurai decided to include, but it means a lot that he would decide to dig up the Kremlings.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's no way to know that, BUT, we do know for a fact that King K. Rool is the 2nd most recurring villain in Nintendo's history, behind only Bowser.
That's REALLY iffy. Especially since most of his appearances are from outsourced companies. (Wait, all?)

Also even considering I highly doubt he appeared more than Dedede and Ganon(dorf)

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Correction, http://www.mariowiki.com/King_K._Rool , I misread this following line

"After Bowser, King K. Rool is the second most recurring villain in the greater Mario continuity."

He's probably...3rd overall? I think he's been in more than Dedede.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Considering that the vast majority thought that the Kremling Krew had been lost in Nintendo history (or worse, owned by Rare/Microsoft), I'd say it is pretty significant. Chandelure and Roturrent don't relate to the situation at all.

That's like saying a new StarFox game is the equivalent to a new Pokemon game. One is clearly more significant then the other in terms of appearance.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Correction, http://www.mariowiki.com/King_K._Rool , I misread this following line

"After Bowser, King K. Rool is the second most recurring villain in the greater Mario continuity."

He's probably...3rd overall? I think he's been in more than Dedede.
Wow looking at this, K.Rool never appeared in a first party developed game aside from his trophies in Smash.

I never realized it, but that's interesting.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Chandelure is one Pokémon among hundreds that the developers thought would work as well as any other and served as an advertisement for the latest Pokémon games. The Kremlings are a specific group of enemies that haven't appeared in years, and haven't had any notable appearances in even longer. Both Chandelure and the Tiki Tak Tribe are from recent games and are included as advertisements for those games. The Kremlings are nothing more than the former enemies of Donkey Kong, and have more or less been forgotten by their actual creators. And yet Sakurai still thought they were important enough to Donkey Kong's history to warrant being enemies, even over the Snowmads, the enemies from the latest game.

Yes, this is a big ****ing deal.

Wow looking at this, K.Rool never appeared in a first party developed game aside from his trophies in Smash.

I never realized it, but that's interesting.
Smash is developed by HAL, actually, so it's no more a first party game than the actual DKC games were, really.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Smash is developed by HAL, actually, so it's no more a first party game than the actual DKC games were, really.
So even when gets in Smash he'll still never be in a first party Nintendo game, haha.

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Well I will agree that this by no means confirms his inclusion, I still think its cool that this stage hazzard/platform mirrors King K.rool boss fight in dk64.

If k.rool joins the roster I would like a third reskin of that stage were you get red, blue, yellow and green corer posts with stars on, King K.rool's face on the mat surounded by red stars and maybe even kremling silhouettes in the audience.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
^^

Watch that actually be a thing, and the reason we haven't seen any new DK stages yet.

He's just been waiting for K. Rool's reveal or something. I can dream.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I think that we have a good chance at seeing him at E3. Another thing, do you guys think it is odd that we have seen very little DKC content? All we have seen is Donkey, Diddy, Kremlings, Tikis, and Jungle Japes. We have not seen any new DKC stages, items or assist trophies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Aren't the Tikis also in Smash run?
Yep. I actually think its even more significant that they're also there. He could've just picked the Tikis and been done with it, but didnt, and added Kremlings as well.

It's also worth noting he could've used Snowmads, but chose Kremlings over them.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's also worth noting he could've used Snowmads, but chose Kremlings over them.
Easier to port the Kremlings which have low quality models over the very high quality models of the Snowmads, so I don't think it's a significant point.

A lot of Smash run models are practically ported over.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Double post GAH!

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I think that we have a good chance at seeing him at E3. Another thing, do you guys think it is odd that we have seen very little DKC content? All we have seen is Donkey, Diddy, Kremlings, Tikis, and Jungle Japes. We have not seen any new DKC stages, items or assist trophies.
That's what I've been wondering. Starfox hasnt gotten much love either.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not necessarily saying he didn't want to use Kremlings (he could have just left it with tikis), just that the "he could have used the snowmads" point doesn't hold water. All the enemies shown so far are ported low quality models.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Then forget about the Snowmads. The fact remains he could've just used the Tikis.

There. Done. I have nothing else to add; go push the discussion in a more positive direction.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For all we know, there still are Snowmad enemies, they just didn't appear during the trailer because "the enemies appear at random." By the same token, there could also be other DKC enemies waiting in the pipeline.

The conscious choice to revive the Kremlings certainly proves that consideration will be given to franchises' entire histories, not just the parts message board users deem "relevant."

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
If Sakurai brought back the Kremlings in some form other than a trophy, then I expect King K. Rool to get an appearance too. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Number of Nintendo Antagonist Main Game Appearances :

Bowser: 15
King Dedede: 14 (not always as an antagonist)
Ganon(dorf): 10/9 (Only appeared as end game sequence in Link's Adventure)
Ganon: 8/7
Ridley: 5/7 (Depends on if you count the clone or not)
King K. Rool: 4
Andross: 4
Ganondorf: 3/5 (Only mentioned in two games)
Wolf: 3 (?)
Medusa: 2

I love K. Rool, but he's not even close to that recurring.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why are we distinguishing between main games and non-main games again? An appearance is an appearance, is it not? Also, the fact that some main games are far more successful than others is worth consideration as a factor as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Why are we distinguishing between main games and non-main games again? An appearance is an appearance, is it not? Also, the fact that some main games are far more successful than others is worth consideration as a factor as well.
Let me make a list of total appearances in a second.

Something of note, though. Are the Donkey Kong Land games distinct games or ports?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

You forgot the Donkey Kong Land Games.
So he's up there just not most recurring.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let me make a list of total appearances in a second.

Something of note, though. Are the Donkey Kong Land games distinct games or ports?
The Donkey Kong Land games are distinct games that use their respective Country counterparts as bases. They're often mistakenly dismissed as ports, but some even offer all-new worlds and enemies, such as Hogwash the Flying Pig.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DKL are distinct but they were meant to be DKC lite more than anything.

Speaking of, did anyone else listen to the DKL2 OST lately? Grant Kirkhope did a great job porting DKC2's OST to 8-bit.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

This list is all messed up, what are you counting as a "main game"?

Because I would call the Donkey Kong Land games, and even the Paon handheld games, "main games". As opposed to things like Barrel Blast and Donkey Konga.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You forgot the Donkey Kong Land Games.
So he's up there just not most recurring.
The Donkey Kong Land games are distinct games that use their respective Country counterparts as bases. They're often mistakenly dismissed as ports, but some even offer all-new worlds and enemies, such as Hogwash the Flying Pig.
Thank you. Honest mistake.

Edited list (with all game appearances)

Bowser: 42/43 (Depends on if you count SSB4 as two games or one)
King Dedede: 23/24 (Depends on if you count SSB4 as two games or one)
Ganon(dorf): 18-12 (Depending on how you count it. If cameos and remakes count, it's 18. If they don't, it's 12.)
K. Rool: 12
Ridley: 9(ish? Counting the clone as the same entity.)

King Dedede and Ganondorf are still waaaaay more recurring still, though.

This list is all messed up, what are you counting as a "main game"?

Because I would call the Donkey Kong Land games, and even the Paon handheld games, "main games". As opposed to things like Barrel Blast and Donkey Konga.
Honest mistake of not realizing the Land games were distinct from the original DKC games. It should have been at about 8.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Thank you. Honest mistake.

Edited list (with all game appearances)

Bowser: 42/43 (Depends on if you count SSB4 as two games or one)
King Dedede: 23/24 (Depends on if you count SSB4 as two games or one)
Ganon(dorf): 18-12 (Depending on how you count it. If cameos and remakes count, it's 18. If they don't, it's 12.)
K. Rool: 12
Ridley: 9(ish? Counting the clone as the same entity.)

King Dedede and Ganondorf are still waaaaay more recurring still, though.
Okay cool, this is about what I expected. Still pretty high up there, outpacing even Ridley.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Okay cool, this is about what I expected. Still pretty high up there, outpacing even Ridley.
Not much of a feat when there aren't that many Metroid games to begin with. :p Poor Ridley.
12 is p. good tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aren't the Tikis also in Smash run?
Sure, but the fact that Kremlings are showing up has to mean something. If not playable, then at least a larger role in Smash.

Also, if anything, this shows that Kremlings and Tikis can co-exist in Sakurai's eyes.
The DKL games aren't actually that bad either for what they are, honestly. I'd give the first one a try at least.
I'd like to give it a shot someday as well. Hopefully they'll come to a 3DS Virtual Console (else I'll just hunt a Game Boy down like I will eventually... when I start retro gaming).

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
Welp, the Ridley thread is doing it right now and I couldn't help myself I'm sorry aaaaaaaaah

Looking at it again, the "crown" looks like it goes up quite a bit higher than my outline and I can see a pretty clear cape but I'm not going through all the trouble to remake this just for a stupid joke post. :yoshi64:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Welp, the Ridley thread is doing it right now and I couldn't help myself I'm sorry aaaaaaaaah

Looking at it again, the "crown" looks like it goes up quite a bit higher than my outline and I can see a pretty clear cape but I'm not going through all the trouble to remake this just for a stupid joke post. :yoshi64:
It looks like a Ninja Turtle. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Smash 4!

Top Bottom