• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
While there aren't really any victory themes in Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive that Ryu could pull from (I don't know much about his appearances in the Musou/Warriors series), there is a sort of victory theme in Nioh after defeating Jin Hayabusa, an alleged ancestor of Ryu who fights exactly like him and wields the Dragon Sword and wears the classic blue attire. Basically, a small sample of Unbreakable Determination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuQMK-L0bc&feature=youtu.be

It's an "extended" version actually on repeat but I couldn't find a video with just the tune itself.
That could work too. As I already mentioned, they could use a sample from another theme and that's a pretty good one right there. It's taken from the most iconic theme in the Ninja Gaiden series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If Kirby absorbs Hayabusa, I expect his Copy ability to bare some resemblance to his Ninja ability from his own games. Something similar to this...

1590700656942.png

...with a mask on.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/3fU5yYrkmTM https://twitter.com/jonny_tompkins/status/1261000252720664576?s=21 I really hope this means Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, this happened with Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter and then what’d ya know Hero and Banjo & Kazooie arrived, Simon and Richter Belmont had a glitch last update and then Byleth came, and most recently Bayonetta’s arm glitch causing her model to look different and it lead us to the announcement of an ARMS rep in Smash Ultimate, so I really, REALLY hopes this means that Sheik is being used as a base for Ryu Hayabusa

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
https://youtu.be/3fU5yYrkmTM https://twitter.com/jonny_tompkins/status/1261000252720664576?s=21 I really hope this means Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, this happened with Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter and then what’d ya know Hero and Banjo & Kazooie arrived, Simon and Richter Belmont had a glitch last update and then Byleth came, and most recently Bayonetta’s arm glitch causing her model to look different and it lead us to the announcement of an ARMS rep in Smash Ultimate, so I really, REALLY hopes this means that Sheik is being used as a base for Ryu Hayabusa
The glitch is being caused by Item Gravitation. Try equipping Sheik or another character with a Sheik in the same battle with an Item Gravitation spirit. Sheik's Burst Grenade will not work and the dud grenade will slide across the ground weirdly. It's being affected by Item Gravitation which renders Burst Grenade useless so long as any fighter on the field has that permanent effect. Anyone who also finds Burst Grenade not working in World of Light most likely has the Healing-Item Attraction skill tree skill on which gravitates healing items towards the player. Weirdly enough, it affects Burst Grenade despite it not being a healing item so it's definitely a glitch in that instance.

Due to how the grenade part of Burst Grenade becomes a carriable item under specific circumstances which include being taken by Rosalina's Gravitational Pull, Villager and Isabelle's Pocket, Isabelle's Fishing Rod, the Blackhole item and probably some other things I didn't test, it leads me to believe this is just an oversight of the programming of how Sheik's Burst Grenade works and doesn't have anything to do with future DLC fighters but hey, maybe I'm wrong and I hope to be, eapecially if it's for our Dragon Ninja here.

EDIT: Disregard the above point mentioned. I actually had the chance to finally test this glitch pre-patch on 1.0.0 with another Nintendo Switch with no prior Smash Ultimate data since you can't downgrade patches upon updating and found that Burst Grenade works correctly as it should, not being rendered useless by Item Gravitation, although it still gets pulled in a tiny bit and you can't send the grenade as far either when the ability is in effect on Sheik herself. Also, Healing-Item Attraction doesn't affect Burst Grenade at all as it shouldn't since it is not a recovery item. Again, I tested this on 1.0.0, the physical base game when it was first released. I don't have the means to test on later patches before the latest update so I cannot pinpoint when the Item Gravitation glitch was introduced if it wasn't first in the 7.0.0 update.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think Hayabusa should have the same damage animation as Simon and Richter since he had it in his own games on the NES.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I think Hayabusa should have the same damage animation as Simon and Richter since he had it in his own games on the NES.
I just want Hayabusa to be in so bad, I mean think about it, from negotiatiable and recognizable (meaning partners they can negotiate with) choices, they have already asked a significant amount of their partners, as ATLUS, Square Enix, Rare, and SNK were all asked last season, so it begs the question, since these companies have already gained reps who are they going to ask next? Of course sure they could always just ask the following companies again but given how represented they are in the game I’m sure that won’t happen, but who knows it could. So now that these characters are here, who else is going to enter the fray? Of course we could have CAPCOM come to the door and put in another character but they maybe represented enough as there is A LOT of CAPCOM content in Smash Ultimate, the same can be said for Konami as well, as I’m pretty sure the amount of content they already have in the game is enough for them and Sakurai probably won’t twist their hands too much, so who does that leaves us? Companies like Bandai Namco, Arc Systems, Level-5, and of course Koei Tecmo, Arc Systems I’m not so sure about because they had a spirit event and if there was a rep I would think that they would bring those spirits with them, but ARMS is getting a rep so I dunno, Bandai Namco is long overdue for a second rep, especially with almost every company having a second or even third rep in the game already, and of course Koei Tecmo who isn’t properly represented at all yet, as Koei Tecmo only has two spirits and an Assist Trophy and especially with Koei Tecmo working on so many of Nintendo’s titles over the years and with the recent Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Koei Tecmo and Nintendo’s relationship could move even further with an inclusion of a rep in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so please Nintendo, give us the most famous video game ninja in gaming history! (There is also a lot of other reasons Ryu Hayabusa should join, like him being a NES icon, but I won’t go too much into that as it’s already been said )

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So in Min Min's presentation, Sakurai said he was thinking of Ninjara as well for the ARMS fighter before his Mii costume was revealed. This might not bode well because if Ryu Hayabusa really was being considered or already developed as we speak, would he really think of Ninjara as the ARMS rep if Ryu was already coming along? Only because they're both ninjas. I know this sounds stupid but, thoughts?

D

Deleted member

So in Min Min's presentation, Sakurai said he was thinking of Ninjara as well for the ARMS fighter before his Mii costume was revealed. This might not bode well because if Ryu Hayabusa really was being considered or already developed as we speak, would he really think of Ninjara as the ARMS rep if Ryu was already coming along? Only because they're both ninjas. I know this sounds stupid but, thoughts?
I wouldn't look too much into it. Even if Sakurai had considerations for both characters, I doubt he would care so much about both of them being ninjas when they function way differently from 1 another. What would've potentially killed his chances would've been if Min Min released alongside a Mii Costume from a Koei-Tecmo IP or rather if he was a Mii Costume.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Ryu doesn't go punching people from a 50 feet distance so no.

And honestly, if anything this bodes well for Ryu, because it proves to me once again that Sakurai does have a thing for Ninjas in general. Author Appeal will always affect a person's work. Sakurai Likes Fire Emblem? 8 characters, mulitple stages, tons of songs. Sakurai likes Castlevania? 2 characters introduced in the same game and 34 songs. Sakurai likes SNK? A full-fledged character filed with unique mechanis with a stage that is a love letter to KOF, featuring 50 songs from SNK's large game library.

We know Sakurai likes Ninjas. From all the way back in Super Star when he added the Ninja ability, to Shiek beign a Ninja Stand-in, to Greninja, if Ryu's supposed redundancy was a reason for his character's exclusion, then i guarantee that the roster of Smash would be FAR different.

That whole Ninjara thing was just an example of Sakurai going back to an archetype he likes.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I actually think this bodes well for Hayabusa.

D

Deleted member

You know with Min Min, wouldn't it be cool if Ryu can swap weapons from a katana, to the Eclipse Scythe, or the Lunar Staff?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I actually think this bodes well for Hayabusa.
Oh, I agree, James.

Looking back at the series, it's clear Sakurai has a thing for ninja. He immediately knew how Greninja would play just from the concept art alone and long before he was revealed, and the new Ninjara Mii Costume and his comments on picking between Min Min and Ninjara seem to tell SO MUCH about it. Considering all that, Sakurai passing over Ryu Hayabusa would be absolutely insane of him.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's possible that Ninja Gaiden may be one of Sakurai's favorite games. He said years ago it was one of the games he bought on the Wii VC.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
While this does not particularly mean much because Sakurai's played so many video games, after all, we saw many of his game consoles including Playstation and Xbox in Min Min's presentation, this is pretty much our only link to Sakurai having shown any interest/awareness of Ninja Gaiden and this was an article from over 10 years ago. I just hope to god he's played the Xbox/Sigma games and Dead or Alive as well. Ryu needs a much more fleshed out moveset than just pulling from the NES trilogy. It wouldn't be a "celebration of gaming" if we only celebrated Nintendo... right...?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
While this does not particularly mean much because Sakurai's played so many video games, after all, we saw many of his game consoles including Playstation and Xbox in Min Min's presentation, this is pretty much our only link to Sakurai having shown any interest/awareness of Ninja Gaiden and this was an article from over 10 years ago. I just hope to god he's played the Xbox/Sigma games and Dead or Alive as well. Ryu needs a much more fleshed out moveset than just pulling from the NES trilogy. It wouldn't be a "celebration of gaming" if we only celebrated Nintendo... right...?
That won't be a problem. It's been shown with other characters that Sakurai takes things from games released on other consoles besides just the ones on Nintendo.

Though in Hayabusa's case, I don't think that would be a problem anyway since one of the latest game in the series (Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) was released on the Wii U. I also can't picture Sakurai not including the Izuna Drop in his moveset or Art of the True Inferno as his Final Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, Hayabusa's being rated in the RTC thread, so if you wanna give your two cents on him (or the two other characters being rated), don't hesitate!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Hey, Hayabusa's being rated in the RTC thread, so if you wanna give your two cents on him (or the two other characters being rated), don't hesitate!
Sure. Can you post the link?

EDIT: Nevermind. I posted in that topic before.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just want things to finally bode well for him honestly. After that roller coaster ride leading up to Terry’s reveal and him dropping out of speculation for the most part it seems like my boy hasn’t had a win in a while.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I just want things to finally bode well for him honestly. After that roller coaster ride leading up to Terry’s reveal and him dropping out of speculation for the most part it seems like my boy hasn’t had a win in a while.
Agreed, but here’s what I was thinking in regards to that, what I think is that Fighters Pass VOL 2 was planned after the Joker reveal and that’s where negotiations started, that’s why at the time you would hear people say “oh it’s Steve” when the negotiations were really about Banjo, in this instance around the time we all thought Ryu Hayabusa was Fighter 5, what may have been happening is that negotiations for Hayabusa leaked out and so instead of him being Fighter 5 he’s actually like Fighter 9 or 10 and leakers just jumped the gun saying it’s Ryu Hayabusa for Fighter 5 when really it was Byleth. The other reason I’m thinking it’s Hayabusa, is that especially now, a lot of the potential picks are gone, think about it, the Fighters Pass introduces Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry as 3rd parties, if we look amongst the realizable and negotiable choices, companies like Koei Tecmo, Arc Systems, and Ubisoft would come to mind, but since Arc Systems got a spirit event and Ubisoft got Mii Costumes, who else is left? We do have Dante, Lloyd, and others, but we also got Ryu Hayabusa, so I’m really REALLY hoping he’s coming as I love Ninja Gaiden and would love to see it in Smash

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm not saying there's a pattern but I've just been thinking about how Splatoon, a recent Nintendo IP, was introduced before Castlevania, an older third-party IP. It would be something if that same thing happens here with Arms, another recent Nintendo IP, being introduced before Ninja Gaiden, another older third-party IP.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Hayabusa would be a great way to represent the actual Ninja Gaiden series, while having just a bit of moves or music/spirits to represent Dead or Alive. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Hayabusa would be a great way to represent the actual Ninja Gaiden series, while having just a bit of moves or music/spirits to represent Dead or Alive. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
Best case scenario, Hayabusa does for Tecmo Koei, what Terry did for SNK.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Since Koei Tecmo & Ubisoft have properties already in the base of Smash Ultimate, I'm hoping in FP Vol 2 that they'll both finally get a playable rep in Hayabusa & Rayman. They both have strong ties to Nintendo and Nintendo history, I just hope they don't pass it by.

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
If Kirby absorbs Hayabusa, I expect his Copy ability to bare some resemblance to his Ninja ability from his own games. Something similar to this...

View attachment 273060
...with a mask on.
Since finding the ninja ability scroll in Mouse Attack, I've always wanted to see Kirby roasting opponents with fire ninpo and/ or windmill shurikens whilst donning the legendary black falcon attire. Seeing Kirby slicing and dicing Mario, Link and Samus with a mini katana would also be pretty cool!
Yes, I have problems...

https://wikirby.com/w/images/a/ad/Ninja_Squeak_Transparent.png

Reading the previous posts about Terry and how he brought various SNK music/ spirits with him like Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug does make me hope that Dead or Alive & Warriors Orochi would also get similar representation providing Hayabusa makes the cut! (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for 50 music tracks lol, but a man can dream). To be honest, i'm not too familiar with the music outside of the Ninja Gaiden series; any stand out tracks from other KT franchises that you guys think would fit perfectly in smash? (original or remixed)

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well especially with what the world's currently going through! I know It's been a while since I was last on here, but work has skyrocketed in the past few months so i haven't had too much time to comment, being a key worker sucks sometim... I mean hooray! You'll probably find me lurking from time to time, but either way let's not give up on our dream, Hayabusa for the win!

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

I’m hoping Ryu Hayabusa is playable as we are now at a point where a lot of the main picks have been done, like Banjo & Kazooie, Joker, Terry, and Hero we’re all choices that were not represented in Smash and now that there all here I’m hoping that companies like Koei Tecmo, Level 5, BANDAI NAMCO, and and more will get their chance to be in Smash

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I also want to point out something very important that I thought would be interesting to bring back up in terms of Ryu Hayabusa coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So awhile back we believed Ryu Hayabusa would be the 5th fighter due to leakers saying it was him and Terry Bogard, however that was not the case and Byleth was the 5th fighter. However, what I think what was happening, was that negotiations for Ryu Hayabusa’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is what was leaked out, this would make sense WHY it was wrong to say he was the 5th fighter by leakers because the leakers just assumed he was the 5th fighter based on this info when really that wasn’t the case. So what I’m saying is that instead of what was intentionally thought about Ryu Hayabusa being fighter 5, maybe instead he was negotiated for Fighters Pass VOL 2 instead and that we will see him be Fighter 9 or Fighter 10 instead, I also want to show this interesting piece of info that Vergeben has thought about Hayabusa as DLC
8F988E50-450C-4610-AF5F-9D862FC338BC.jpeg
E34FF522-CD78-41AD-AA7B-236808F96403.jpeg
DC518F93-AE76-46FB-996E-03BD9C9EE23D.jpeg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess that would make sense. As it is, it looked like it was a hassle to even get anything from their collabs with Nintendo.

Maybe we'll finally get a Hyrule Warriors spirit event when Hayabusa becomes closer to being a reality? Assuming negotiations didn't end up being aborted in favor of Smash 6.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I guess that would make sense. As it is, it looked like it was a hassle to even get anything from their collabs with Nintendo.

Maybe we'll finally get a Hyrule Warriors spirit event when Hayabusa becomes closer to being a reality? Assuming negotiations didn't end up being aborted in favor of Smash 6.
True that, however given how Mr. Sakurai wants to keep improving on this record, I’m sure he would want to at least try to get Hayabusa into this massive crossover as he’s right in the fact that a gathering of Gaming Icons this big will probably never happen again

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True that, however given how Mr. Sakurai wants to keep improving on this record, I’m sure he would want to at least try to get Hayabusa into this massive crossover as he’s right in the fact that a gathering of Gaming Icons this big will probably never happen again
Yeah, but then again he has only so much time and so many resources before DLC closes up shop. Not everyone can get in at one time, and I can understand that.

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but then again he has only so much time and so many resources before DLC closes up shop. Not everyone can get in at one time, and I can understand that.
Ah, but as a wise man once said:

"No fighting game roster is complete without a super ninja!"

-Wise man 20XX

All jokes aside, I completely agree with what you're saying. Not all of our most wanted characters will make it into ultimate for several reasons, mainly due to Sakurai indicating that there won't be any more after this fighters pass, along with other factors that I can imagine like shifting focus to content in future iterations, an inevitable decrease in dev team size as they move on to other projects over time etc.

To be honest I really can't complain given the phenomenal roster we currently have, even before the DLC characters, with many of my long wanted characters like: Ridley, Dark Samus (yeah, you could say I like Metroid just a little bit :p ) and Simon Belmont being added. I'd still be very satisfied if Sakurai and his team called it a day and stopped releasing DLC. For me, Hayabusa would be the cherry on top of an already filling, multi-layered, sugar glazed cake (sorry I have a craving for cake right now, please send help (& sprinkles!)) mostly because ninjas are the coolest thing since sliced bread Ninja Gaiden is one of my favourite game series of all time, with Hayabusa also being one my favourite characters in gaming overall.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Since finding the ninja ability scroll in Mouse Attack, I've always wanted to see Kirby roasting opponents with fire ninpo and/ or windmill shurikens whilst donning the legendary black falcon attire. Seeing Kirby slicing and dicing Mario, Link and Samus with a mini katana would also be pretty cool!
Yes, I have problems...

1594436820559.png
https://wikirby.com/w/images/a/ad/Ninja_Squeak_Transparent.png

Reading the previous posts about Terry and how he brought various SNK music/ spirits with him like Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug does make me hope that Dead or Alive & Warriors Orochi would also get similar representation providing Hayabusa makes the cut! (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for 50 music tracks lol, but a man can dream). To be honest, i'm not too familiar with the music outside of the Ninja Gaiden series; any stand out tracks from other KT franchises that you guys think would fit perfectly in smash? (original or remixed)

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well especially with what the world's currently going through! I know It's been a while since I was last on here, but work has skyrocketed in the past few months so i haven't had too much time to comment, being a key worker sucks sometim... I mean hooray! You'll probably find me lurking from time to time, but either way let's not give up on our dream, Hayabusa for the win!
Dead or Alive has some very cool soundtracks. I say at least most of Hayabusa's themes (such as the Blade of Ryu, The Shooted, and Look Ahead) are very awesome themes. Same for other characters too, such as Zack's DOA1 theme No Money and Hayate's DOA3 theme Reincarnate (two of my personal favorites). So they were definitely be cool and if they appear as Spirits in this game, I expect those tracks to be in the game too.

I also want to point out something very important that I thought would be interesting to bring back up in terms of Ryu Hayabusa coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So awhile back we believed Ryu Hayabusa would be the 5th fighter due to leakers saying it was him and Terry Bogard, however that was not the case and Byleth was the 5th fighter. However, what I think what was happening, was that negotiations for Ryu Hayabusa’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is what was leaked out, this would make sense WHY it was wrong to say he was the 5th fighter by leakers because the leakers just assumed he was the 5th fighter based on this info when really that wasn’t the case. So what I’m saying is that instead of what was intentionally thought about Ryu Hayabusa being fighter 5, maybe instead he was negotiated for Fighters Pass VOL 2 instead and that we will see him be Fighter 9 or Fighter 10 instead, I also want to show this interesting piece of info that Vergeben has thought about
I remember Vergeben saying that. Some people still point this out as Hayabusa possibly getting in. But I'd still wait and see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom