• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I really hope Sakurai brings back the 80s event again. It just doesn't seem right without Hayabusa. He's one 80s character from the NES era that definitely should have been in this event.

born-in-the-1980s 1.1.jpg

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly at this rate I'm very confident in Hayabusa's chances. Probably the last NES icon, Koei are involved in Ultimate and has had an huge history with Nintendo.

The only competition he has getting in is Zhao from Dynasty Warriors.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Which interpretation do you guys prefer for Hyabusa in his Smash appearance? NES or Modern? I think a mix between the two would be the best bet. Simplify the modern design down a bit and make it less of a hard black could work.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Which interpretation do you guys prefer for Hyabusa in his Smash appearance? NES or Modern? I think a mix between the two would be the best bet. Simplify the modern design down a bit and make it less of a hard black could work.
Honestly I'd be fine with both designs being in the game so he could have an alternate costume, considering that both his classic and modern designs are popular.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Why the need to make a unique appearance just for Smash? Just add both the modern and classic outfits like Wario, Ike, Bayonetta, etc. The moveset is the bigger problem as Ryu's sword swinging style is different among both trilogies with one having the sword at the waist and the other on the back.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Both. His modern look can be his default costume while his classic look can be his alternate costume.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I used to be ok with either one of both versions being his default, but honestly now that I’ve became a little into amiibos, I’m definitely much more in favor of having his classic NES outfit as his default appearance just for that matter, but I guess I wouldn’t be too bothered if it ends up being his modern version.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How do Hayabusa fans feel about my slightly crazy Fighter Pass prediction?
It's pretty solid. The characters that I'm not personally interested in are at least completely understandable why they'd deserve to be in.

Mine's better though(although it's out of date at this point. Replace Spencer with Spring Man/Ribbon Girl. Pass doesn't need two entries with extending arms):
1586885170587.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's pretty solid. The characters that I'm not personally interested in are at least completely understandable why they'd deserve to be in.

Mine's better though(although it's out of date at this point. Replace Spencer with Spring Man/Ribbon Girl. Pass doesn't need two entries with extending arms):
View attachment 269219
Here's mine.
76. Arms Character (Confirmed)
77. Possible Gen 8 Pokémon (hopefully it's Rillaboom)
78. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
79. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
80. Crash Bandicoot
81. Heihachi (TEKKEN)
82. Either Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) or Savvy Stylist (Style Savvy)
Now I added Fighter #82 because I hope Season 2 pulled a Piranha Plant by having one more character that's not part of the Pass

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

View attachment 269219
While I'm not personally invested in several of these franchises, this would be good representation for series familiar to Nintendo fans!

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Koei Tecmo is deserving of a rep, their partnership with Nintendo is incredible and have made many major games for them including Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Hyrule Warriors and more. With this in mind I’m surprised Koei Tecmo has gotten such little representation in Smash, my hope is that they are the ATLUS of this pass with ATLUS having a spirit in the game and then having full on content in the game, I hope the same thing happens with Koei Tecmo. So what I think is that Fighters Pass VOL 2 was planned after the Joker reveal and that’s where negotiations started, that’s why at the time you would hear people say “oh it’s Steve” when the discussions were really about Banjo, in this instance around the time we all thought Ryu Hayabusa was Fighter 5, what may have been happening is that negotiations for Hayabusa leaked out and instead of him being Fighter 5 he’s actually like Fighter 9 or 10 and leakers just jumped the gun saying it’s Ryu Hayabusa for Fighter 5 when really it was Byleth. The other reason I’m thinking it’s Hayabusa, is that especially now, a lot of the potential picks are gone, think about it, the Fighters Pass introduces Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry as 3rd parties, if we look amongst all the realizable and negotiable choices, companies like Koei Tecmo, Arc Systems, and Ubisoft would come to mind, but since Arc Systems got a spirit event and Ubisoft got Mii Costumes, who else is left? We do have Dante, Lloyd, and others, but we also got Ryu Hayabusa, so I’m really REALLY hoping he’s coming as I love Ninja Gaiden and would love to see it in Smash

Attachments

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Spirits that the Ninja Gaiden series could have such as:

Fighter Spirit
1589772106721.png
1620835536477.png
Ryu Hayabusa 1589868477825.png Ryu Hayabusa (Classic)

Primary and Support Spirits

1589771853868.png Irene Lew 1589818472534.png Jo Hayabusa 1589937449101.png Jaquio 1589773112456.png Robert T. Sturgeon 1589772861191.png Rachel 1589773349942.png Muramasa 1589773466078.png Murai 1589937853887.png Doku
1589938231777.png Genshin 1589772422577.png Momiji 1589772886293.png Kasumi 1589773010423.png Ayane
1589773262297.png Mizuki 1589773558432.png Epigonos 1589774639433.png Ken Ishigami 1589774956684.png Regent of the Mask
1589772221141.png Yaiba Kamikaze

Not sure how all these would work but I think they would make good spirits. Anybody want to add their ideas to this can do it.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'd rather Yaiba never again get acknowledged. To me; Ninja Gaiden: Yaiba never existed. I just don't like it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'd rather Yaiba never again get acknowledged. To me; Ninja Gaiden: Yaiba never existed. I just don't like it.
A lot of people didn't like the game but in this case, I don't think anybody would have any issue with Yaiba just simply being a spirit, especially if he's the only one from that game. No harm in that at all.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I thought Yaiba was an enjoyable disaster and I knew it would be when I heard Spark was developing it.

It’s a bad game but it has a certain degree of charm that I can get behind playing through it at least once.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Any ideas what his victory theme would be like? Because the only idea I can think of is the Act Intro theme from the NES games, which was remixed in Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Any ideas what his victory theme would be like? Because the only idea I can think of is the Act Intro theme from the NES games, which was remixed in Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword.
I actually think it would be a taiko-drum remix of the opening duel theme from Ninja Gaiden NES. One, that's the very first thing that the game shows you. Two, it's what sets the mood of Ninja Gaiden. Three, the tune itself is so damn catchy!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I actually think it would be a taiko-drum remix of the opening duel theme from Ninja Gaiden NES. One, that's the very first thing that the game shows you. Two, it's what sets the mood of Ninja Gaiden. Three, the tune itself is so damn catchy!
That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind that as a victory theme and yes, it is catchy.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think they'd go the Metal Gear route and use the death jingle.
I think that's a different story. Metal Gear's theme has been used when completing certain missions and even stages in the case of Metal Gear Solid on GameBoy Color, so it actually made sense for Snake's victory theme in Smash.

For a Ninja Gaiden victory theme, I believe they might go either for the Act Intro or a sample from another theme.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
While there aren't really any victory themes in Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive that Ryu could pull from (I don't know much about his appearances in the Musou/Warriors series), there is a sort of victory theme in Nioh after defeating Jin Hayabusa, an alleged ancestor of Ryu who fights exactly like him and wields the Dragon Sword and wears the classic blue attire. Basically, a small sample of Unbreakable Determination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuQMK-L0bc&feature=youtu.be

It's an "extended" version actually on repeat but I couldn't find a video with just the tune itself.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alternatively, the first 10 notes of Unbreakable Determination would make for a good victory theme.

Edit: did I just get ninja'd in the Ryu Hayabusa thread?

Last edited:
Top Bottom