• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just wanna throw something out there in regards to the whole ban stick thing

Ijuka

Smash Ace
No he doesn't, no confirmed weaknesses anyway.

Dk has better range and can kill early, but Mk's safe options and rushdown screw him over. 60-40.
MK's potential has been brought up a lot better than DK's <_< So it's still way too early. And MK does have weaknesses in that matchup, like the range and early kills you mentioned. I think that the good MK players just are better. -_-; And I believe you pulled that 60-40 from somewhere where the light doesn't shine, since I've heard and seen otherwise everywhere.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
MK's potential has been brought up a lot better than DK's <_< So it's still way too early. And MK does have weaknesses in that matchup, like the range and early kills you mentioned. I think that the good MK players just are better. -_-; And I believe you pulled that 60-40 from somewhere where the light doesn't shine, since I've heard and seen otherwise everywhere.
He has weaknesses but MK overall outperforms DK in this match-up. Oh and forgot the off-stage game, which MK kills everyone at.

That said, the match-up, like the Snake match-up will eliminate a LOT of Mks, because to be in effect it requires that the players are a reletively high level, moderate DK will generally win against a moderate Mk in my expirience. It's actually the opposite of a lot of close MK match-ups, which get closer as the player skill increases.

As for the 60-40, I'm not alone in that opinion, for instance, it's what Emblem Lord voiced. The match-up has DK at a notable disadvantage, but he still has the tools to win if he plays smart. For that reason it's certainly not neutral, it's not a barely noticable disadvantage (55-45), it's there, but it's not too bad.

I've also noticed that, amusingly enough, a lot of MKs are dead-set on proving he has a disadvantage against SOMEBODY. But really, without metagame developments, he simply doesn't (with the possible exception of Diddy).

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i find it pretty funny when MK mains try and defend how bad their char is in these ban discussions XD

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
It's not the norm, it's the exception. Also, if the metagame is such that, regardless of whom I main, I MUST learn how to fight ONE character, there's an issue.
Wrong. In every fighting game, there are at least a few characters that are so good and widely played that you must learn to fight them if you hope to achieve any success in tournaments. In Melee, you had to learn to fight Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Peach if not C. Falcon, Jiggly, and Ice Climbers.
In Brawl, you have to learn to fight MK, Snake, Falco, DDD, GnW, and R.O.B. There are no two ways about it. Regardless of who you use, you will face them, and you will lose if you don't know how to fight them.

Again, MK is not impossible to beat, he's not broken, etc. It's just that there is no one character that slaughters him outright.
UM, SO? Clearly MK is the best character in the game. And? No one "slaughtered" Fox, Falco, Marth or Sheik either.

Quick, name 5 characters who slaughter Gannondorf!
Quick, name one character who slaughters Metanight in a similar fashion!
Quick, name 5 characters who Metaknight slaughters in a similar fashion!

See what I'm getting at? He's an uphill battle for ALMOST ALL of the cast. And he has no really bad matchups. I mean really bad, like Gdorf bad. More or less every character in the game has at least two matchups who're Gdorf bad or somewhere in that region.
First of all, Ganondorf sucks. Everyone has a good match up against him. And name someone who is a "Gdorf bad" match up for Snake or GnW. There are none. MK arguably has the least bad match ups sure, but that doesn't mean that he's in some league by himself. Snake, Falco, DDD, R.O.B. and GnW also have mainly good match ups, few bad match ups, and no match ups worse than 6-4.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
i find it pretty funny when MK mains try and defend how bad their char is in these ban discussions XD
Or rather, how we try to say that to ban a character it has to be unbeatable and not just something that makes little children cry for mama >_> Some people just don't realize that MK can be beaten. Even if I didn't main him I wouldn't support banning a character that's not absolutely broken, ever. Why don't you add something to the conversation or keep lurking around?

Zinc, exactly.

Quick, name 5 characters who slaughter Gannondorf!
Quick, name one character who slaughters Metanight in a similar fashion!
Quick, name 5 characters who Metaknight slaughters in a similar fashion!

See what I'm getting at? He's an uphill battle for ALMOST ALL of the cast. And he has no really bad matchups. I mean really bad, like Gdorf bad. More or less every character in the game has at least two matchups who're Gdorf bad or somewhere in that region.
Quick, name 5 characters who slaughter Mewtwo in melee. Quick, name one character who slaughters Fox in a similiar fashion in melee. You're ridiculous.

Name a character who ***** Snake in a similiar fashion as Ganon gets *****. Or one who ***** Marth. Or Rob. Or GaW. See what I'm getting at? Why is it whenever I argue that the people I argue against seem to lack common sense? Come on now. (E. oops this point was already covered. Well, can't hurt.)

So you're saying to ban all the top tier characters? Hey, we have low tier tournaments for that.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
sorry they locked the other MK banning threads so ya...

i just think its ironic the way ur trying to defend him is all, i mean no offense
i actually agree that he shouldn't be banned at this point and isn't unbeatable

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Forgot where I found this but it's a quote.

( I think I actually found it in an item thread)

"Every move must have a counter; if there is no counter, than strategically there is no reason not to use it at all times. For an item to be considered 'balanced' it must always have at least one counter at all times. If an item does not have at least one global strategic counter, then it shall be deemed 'broken' and banned from play."

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Forgot where I found this but it's a quote.

( I think I actually found it in an item thread)

"Every move must have a counter; if there is no counter, than strategically there is no reason not to use it at all times. For an item to be considered 'balanced' it must always have at least one counter at all times. If an item does not have at least one global strategic counter, then it shall be deemed 'broken' and banned from play."
Meta Knight is a character, not an item.

The same does not apply.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i can see myself gettin sik of mk's fullstop. whether it wud put me off the game or not.. i'd think i'd just avoid mks..

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but you're right. Noone actually cares yet. And the really only good ones are Lucas' and Lucario's.
Read my All About WaveBouncing (A.A.W.B) thread...

And we've had som really good statements now, those who care to read the thread will know that MK's not getting banned.

ADHD

Smash Hero

The same does not apply.
I'm pretty sure metaknight is a projectile.

You guys, just admit that your character is better than everyone else please by a ward margain except snake. That's all people want to hear.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
meta knight is not that much better, people are just too lazy to find out how to beat him so they complain

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
meta knight is not that much better, people are just too lazy to find out how to beat him so they complain
That's really not true, at this point in the metagame, mk is at a totally different level then the rest of the cast. Yet, it's far from enough to warrant a ban at this point in the metagame. Possibly, after the metagame matures fully, but at the moment, it would be a scrub move.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
You guys, just admit that your character is better than everyone else please by a ward margain except snake. That's all people want to hear.
If someone actually WANTS that to be true, that just means they want to have a better excuse for losing. In that case, wanting something doesn't make it true.

cutter

Smash Champion
Once MK starts dominating tournaments to the extreme (by dominate I mean CONSISTENT 6-8 top 8s with MK and CONSISTENTLY winning tournaments, especially the big ones) then we can talk about banning him.

demodemo

Smash Ace
what a big bump

anyway, at people comparing snake and ddd to metaknight...you just can't

ddd and snake both have plenty of even matchups if not counterpicks, while metaknight has none. people who are saying others are too lazy to find a way to beat him do not make sense since people would not complain unless they tried to find a way and failed.

that being said, i think metaknight shouldn't be banned since its too early + the attitude towards meta mainers are so negative a soft ban may develop. however if he was banned, that would make a lot more of the cast tournament viable, thereby being a better game. (in my opinon)

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure metaknight is a projectile.

yes metaknight is fast, but so is sonic i guess sonic is a projectile too!
and even if hes fast, the char is safe when using a projectile, when metaknight is fighting, he has the danger of getting injured so hes not a projectile. any arguements? i dont think so

SuSa

Banned via Administration

The same does not apply.
Explain why most stages with a wall (besides the temporary one in Delfino Plaza) have been banned from most play. King Dedede's infinite chaingrab. That is neither an item nor a character, yet this rule of not being able to be countered applies, because the only way out is to hope he messes up, or you are one of the few characters that cannot be infinited. (Falco, Pika, Zelda/Sheik, and a few others, don't know them all.)

ADHD

Smash Hero
yes metaknight is fast, but so is sonic i guess sonic is a projectile too!
and even if hes fast, the char is safe when using a projectile, when metaknight is fighting, he has the danger of getting injured so hes not a projectile. any arguements? i dont think so
Mk is an assist trophy tyvm he just is different can be injured

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Explain why most stages with a wall (besides the temporary one in Delfino Plaza) have been banned from most play. King Dedede's infinite chaingrab. That is neither an item nor a character, yet this rule of not being able to be countered applies, because the only way out is to hope he messes up, or you are one of the few characters that cannot be infinited. (Falco, Pika, Zelda/Sheik, and a few others, don't know them all.)
Meta Knight is a character, not a stage.

The same, still, does not apply.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
That's not an arguement. There is a counter: don't get grabbed by the wall. Once you have been grabbed obviously you're in trouble.

By the same logic, Ganon's dair is broken against a lot of characters because once you get hit by it you can't do anything. Well, there's a counter to that too: don't get hit by the dair.

Also, he's not a stage, as Affinity said.

Ok. We all Meta Knight probably won't get the ban Hammer.

But i'm fairly sure that you can all acknowledge the fact that he's really, really, really gay. this itself if the reason why some considered banning him. His status as a dominant character is overwhelming.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ok. We all Meta Knight probably won't get the ban Hammer.

But i'm fairly sure that you can all acknowledge the fact that he's really, really, really gay. this itself if the reason why some considered banning him. His status as a dominant character is overwhelming.
Idk, he's not broken enough but he's just like as good as the melee sheik with a recovery that is the most ridiculous **** in smash and much more priority

Idk, he's not broken enough but he's just like as good as the melee sheik with a recovery that is the most ridiculous **** in smash and much more priority
Oooh...He's broken alright.

Unfortunately, Melee can't even be compared in this situation. In Melee, characters could be played well despite their tier position. It was simply based on the player. The only disadvantage a lower tier character had were match ups.

In Brawl it's simply about counter picking at match ups. And unfortunately, Meta Knight doesn't really have a bad match up besides Snake.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oooh...He's broken alright.

Unfortunately, Melee can't even be compared in this situation. In Melee, characters could be played well despite their tier position. It was simply based on the player. The only disadvantage a lower tier character had were match ups.

In Brawl it's simply about counter picking at match ups. And unfortunately, Meta Knight doesn't really have a bad match up besides Snake.
That happens in Brawl too, certain players can overcome low-tier positions and excell with a weak character.

But Mewtwo, try playing him for a bit. Sure Taj was a great mewtwo, but mewtwo still sucks.

Top Bottom