• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JULIA GILLARD CONFIRMED FOR PM - lol

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
how about u explain yourself why it was nessiary.
as i see it. the goverment should/did acknowledge the wrong which is obvious. and we do reflect upon it and try to not repeat it. but it was someone elses mistake not the current government.
i also dont like it when people say they are sorry when someone is hurt..(they didn't do anything)
the word sorry carries a resposiblity factor with it for me...

but it doesn't really matter to me in the long run.

swordsaint

Smash Master
toby, dont be a **** on other peoples opinions. I didn't like the apology either. it was stupid. None of the current generation did jack **** to what our past generations did. I understand the apology was the recognition of their hard ships, but guess what? They'd been getting constantly recognised for years. They have more benefits than us. It's their own idiotic life choices that **** up MOST aboriginals. I'm not racist, don't percieve this wrong. Some are ok because they do things right, but generally the ones that seek the apology or say they're treated unfairly are the stupid uneducated ones that blow their money on booze and drugs.

get at me.

edit: actually dont. everyone has their opinions and generally they wont matter to anyone else enough to change theirs. Mine wont change no matter what you told me.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
He does make a point_ It's nice it was said and from a political standing it made sense to ease the 'tension', but that's all it was, a political point to make them look better and connected, thus losing some, if any, of it's effectiveness_ The best apology is through recognition and education, not one word that loses meaning if no actions are done to back it up_ Actions speak louder than words and that's all sorry is, a word that's meaning is attributed by it's actions that follow_

I'm happy to see Gillard in, but i'm a little concerned also_ I see the election is coming up and Labour is losing some public interest_ By changing figure head and to a woman no less, you are boosting media interest in the party, alongside creating public interest again not only by the fact that 'oh they've changed PM so maybe they will be different', but also on the fact it is a female and Australia's first female PM, which is also of interest media wise_

I just hope that she isn't being used by Labour for all the wrong reasons and that she could indeed make smarter political decisions and approach those matters with more of a mind than some other questionable PM's have in their time_

Toby.

Smash Master
toby, dont be a **** on other peoples opinions. I didn't like the apology either. it was stupid. None of the current generation did jack **** to what our past generations did. I understand the apology was the recognition of their hard ships, but guess what? They'd been getting constantly recognised for years. They have more benefits than us. It's their own idiotic life choices that **** up MOST aboriginals. I'm not racist, don't percieve this wrong. Some are ok because they do things right, but generally the ones that seek the apology or say they're treated unfairly are the stupid uneducated ones that blow their money on booze and drugs.

get at me.

edit: actually dont. everyone has their opinions and generally they wont matter to anyone else enough to change theirs. Mine wont change no matter what you told me.
I am disappointed in you.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
its true, scoot has no idea what he's going on about (protip, it actually has nothing to do with the aborginals)

also toby did you know that if I have an opinion I'm allowed to feel free to express it, as long as it oppresses your opinion.
take that you ****ing ****.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
So anyway, I overheard certain parts of Rudd's speech this morning. I believe a certain phrase in reference to his aorta operation went a little something like "It feels pretty good to have a bit of someone else in me."

I lol'd

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
There's alot about aboriginals that people don't know about. Partly because they bring it on themselves and partly because australia doesnt NEED to attend to it legally.

But to be concise, the treatment you see the aboriginals getting in the city doesn't follow suit with the treatment of aboriginals in rural areas. Especially in regards to health.

IMO the government should stop giving aboriginals in the city benefits and focus the money on the ACTUAL problem with the indigenous.

megapup

Smash Apprentice
This is one of those fundamentally ignorant and mind numbingly insensitive statements that I hope will be darwin'd out in the next few decades :)

Hooray white australia!
He shouldnt have to apologise. expecting people to take responsibility for something that happened before they were born and had no control over is as fair as discriminating against people over something they have no control over (like being aboriginal).

on a more relevant topic, in my opinion women are not emotionally fit to run a country. am I allowed to say that here?

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I've lived in predominantly aboriginal towns around the N.T for over 8 years. The aus government is doing more than enough to provide them with housing, income, job opportunities etc just as much if not easily more than.. idk white people I guess. The problem is there are those who would rather use all the money or basically steal it, spend it all on booze and do nothing with there lives. The kids aren't force to go to school and therefore end up living the same lifestyle. I was offered weed over a dozen times when I was working there, usually from people under 18. If I said no they just say "oh you want a beer then".

There are currently more than 300 houses being built from scratch in Alice Springs purely for the aboriginal community, and many more being completely redone. This involves all tiling, kitchenware, toilets, bathrooms being ripped out and replaced/refitted. All new roof's as well incl solar panels. They don't pay for electricity, or water or anything. I've seen and even been involved in refitting these houses, then going back within the month to see toilets smashed, kitchen sinks ripped out and walls/doors destroyed.

I went to Alice thinking we probably dont do enough for them. I left 6 months later hoping I'd never have to interact with them again. So before anyone says we need to do more.. It's them who need to help themselves.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I didnt say we need to do more. I said they bring it on themselves by chosing to live in places where they have little access to anything the government has setup, and the government spends money in incorrect ways to compensate.

The fact remains that because of where they chose to live and HOW they chose to live, they ARE disadvantaging themselves as far as good food, health and water supplies goes. As a result, the majority of aboriginals receive a much smaller % of annual health budget than white people but that's because white people are positioned better to take advantage of the public health options AND they voluntarily chose to take advantage of these benefits.

The correct way to help the aboriginals is not give people that are 1/35th aboriginal guaranteed access to university or other crap, the correct way to help them is to educate them to fit in to society normally.

unreon

Smash Ace
let's move the Indigenous population talk to the Sirias discussions thread guys; this is for PM.

I'm not very clued into Australian politics as much as I'd like to be. Hence Toby/Liam, I'd really like to be informed with what you have to say, rather than just read posts about how ignorant everyone else is. I'm interested and I'm listening.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I'd like to point out that although its ironic (and I'm not suggesting toby/liam did so)
but an ignorant man can point out to others that they too are ignorant.

Toby.

Smash Master
Unreon, I'd happily talk to you about it over msn, but scott hit it on the head when he said that no matter what I say I won't change his mind. I didn't (and still don't) want to get into a discussion here where everything is oversimplified and nobody bothers actually considering whether their opinion should be revised. Normally I wouldn't choose to flame somebody like I did on the third page...but this issue is so closely tied with the racism and general xenophobia of the country that I felt I had to at least provide some sort of reply, simply for symbolic purposes.

If people actually want to have an intelligent discussion on the boards then I would be up for that, but usually that doesn't seem to work out well at all.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
people crying out because of injustice... just cant really be delivered.. only the understanding of what is lost and some help to them..
example.. girl gets ***** and bears child (-,- **** examples euugh). guy runs away to mexico dies a few years later. does the child have to pay for the sins of the father... no... does he have to say sorry? no... (he being the child that is...)
point is: there is a different between trying not to avoid mistakes of the past. and saying sorry.

eeyygh its late -,-

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
This just keeps getting better and better.

Edit: I'm been serious, I realised my post sounded slightly sarcastic.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm more interested in the fact that Gillard is the first atheist PM than female PM.
Wait, really? Hmm, interesting. Wonder how that would affect stuff such as the internet filter/R rating for games?

****ing news was talking about her hair and how its a major factor... wtf.
Heh, did you see the old photos though? Man, she had horrible hair in the past XD

swordsaint

Smash Master
The only thing I could possibly change my opinion about, is if you told me the apology was for something different and I didn't understand that. However, seeing as through most of my education all I've seen in my schools and tafes are aboriginals getting special classes and treatment over the rest of us, I have a strong opinion. Where I live most of the aboriginals don't deserve **** that government gives them, I can't tel you how much **** I've put up with from aboriginals here, one such example would be that one of them threw half a brick at the back of my head once. the kicker here is I didn't even know the guy. Then you do have all these aboriginal communities wasting all the benefits provided to them.

so excuse me for having a strong opinion, that quite frankly has been built over time from mostly bad experiences. they dont deserve ****.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
they deserve equal opportunities..... government should still leave the window open for them tho... government is suspose to look after such people. they do take good care of the rich people aswell... -.-

that being said, they do get some benefits i dont... but whateva atm i got what i need.

this has changed from rudds apology to the topic being "scoot hates most aboringals that prove the stereotype".. fine with that hate, its not like hes bashing up aboringnals randomly unprovoked... I guess some aboringnals would get angry about what he said... but the mature thing would be to prove scoot wrong by acting accordlingly..

swordsaint

Smash Master
If he can tell me why I'm wrong I'll gladly listen, I just doubt I'll change my opinion. It's a very strong one I've built over time from **** experiences, I'm not ignorant enough to say I won't listen though. I'm just admitting I'm stubborn enough that it probably won't change anything. As said before, unless you're telling me I misunderstand the apology or the group it was directed at, I probably won't change because everything I've said does happen and is true. So unless I'm arguing something different, it's likely my opinion will stick.

Anyway, Toby. If you feel like it's something a bit sensitive on the boards and that you still feel like I'm missing something. Talk to me on msn about it, I am interested in what you have to say, however pointless it may or may not be. If my opinion, despite being something that can't be wrong, is misinformed, I'd like to form an opinion using the information you think I'm missing.

Just to remind people though, I'm not racist. I just hate the ones that build the stereotype, because they're the ones that don't deserve anything. I can agree that the ones who don't build a stereotype and are civilised should be recognised, but an apology isn't the way to do such a thing, nor are extra benefits over the rest of us. Saying 'I'm sorry' is being apologetic, they're words of regret. I would've been ok with the words, 'I feel sorry for what you've endured' or something to that effect, because that's true recognition in a form that isn't taking responsibility. We weren't responsible.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
swordsaint says things that hold some truth ~ they do get special treatment where it is undeserved (Especially with university).

But they are getting worse treatment elsewhere, the problem is that they need to focus the money and efforts into the real problem and not give people that probably didnt even know they are aboriginal until they checked their history special treatment.

Top Bottom