• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
oh and just a heads up, I won't be doing 2v2 on the 10th so if it's possible Cedrick you should find another partner

If you reeeeeeally wanna do 2v2 and you don't have a partner I'll probably change my mind at the venue

but yeah

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Tomorrow is gonna be sooo hype. Get ready to be bombed... not that I ever get bombs :(

Also, address please!

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I mentioned that because it means I will be able to make Saturday...
Ok, cool.

but you just pissed me off.
Why? (more explanation on my actions below, FYI)

Wow are you serious? Dawson spent so much time practising that if he didn't get upset, I'd be surprised. You may not know, but basketball isn't only just for fun to him.
Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't be upset. I'm wondering why telling him stuff like 'don't worry, it'll be okay' is actually going to help him in any way? Is he unable to get over being upset/use it for positive gain on his own?

I'm severely disappointed in you Arcansi. Better to say nothing than what you just said.
You are logically wrong here. But you don't want to be told why, as this would constitute an argument.

I really hope Arcansi is different in person if he ever decides to show to a Tourney
You missed me @ phoenix 6?

The person you see here is the person I would like to be in real life.

Other people keep forcibly holding me back.

Apparently the human experience is childish.
1. Don't assume I'm 100% sure in what I say. I believe in it 100%, but I attempt to keep an undertone of questioning, so that I can hopefully get answers from people.

People seemed to miss this.

How can i change my views if all you people would do is tell me I'm wrong, and not why?

Just a reminder to everyone: Don't do anything that will cause you to get infractions or anything. If you really don't like what Arcansi posted, report his post, and let mods of this section deal with it. I can't do anything myself since I don't mod the tournament region, but others can take care of it.

And Arcansi, that was completely un-called for and unnecessary. Why you posted that, I have no idea.
To be constructive.

To help Big D in getting better as a player, not sitting around being told his loss is OK.

I don't see the gain in anything like such, and nobody seems to want to tell me where it is.

I'll tell you something. Right after I posted that I told it to my friend in vent. He went on to 'use it on me' while I was playing tf2 when I complained about things.

And I realized right there that what I had said was 100% correct. People telling me 'oh dw it was just lucksman' and stuff will NEVER help me be a better player.

People telling me dodge the arrow next time you noob? Sure helps a hell of a lot more.
Translation:"Don't get sad over losses. Realize your mistakes and win next time! :)"
Why is Crisis the only one able to understand?

@Crisis: Love you bro. Can't wait to team with you, maybe next month :D

:fluttershy:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You said it's childish to get sad over failures. That's a very hard thing to do since emotions are just a part of being human due to evolution. That's why you're wrong. I get what you were saying to him, which is cool and all, but don't straight up tell him getting sad is childish cause it's not.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Rather than telling somebody to suck it up, how about showing some consolation. I think you may not realize that you have actually reached a new low today. Please watch what you say. If you know it's going to piss people off then don't post.

Emotion is always present, and it is silly to expect people to think completely logically.

Reminds me of this Debate Hall thread about how we should just kill off all retired people to save money and help people that are actually supporting society. Logically it is sound, but do you see why it would never happen?

How about an Olympic athlete that dedicates most of their day for years trying to get the gold medal and fails? Do you think that person could get over it right away?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Being sad functions as an aversive stimuli, conditioning you into never wanting to fail again. Without it, humans wouldn't be as successful as they are. The longer the sadness lasts, the more effective it is. Look at it that way Arcansi.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Rather than telling somebody to suck it up, how about showing some consolation. I think you may not realize that you have actually reached a new low today. Please watch what you say. If you know it's going to piss people off then don't post.
But I didn't know this.

I tested it on the only testing thing I have(and can trust). That being myself.

I noted that my kneejerk reaction was anger, and then as I began to understand what was being said I knew it was correct.

Only after this did I post it.

Emotion is always present, and it is silly to expect people to think completely logically.
Is it silly to expect someone to think the way I do? I am human.

Reminds me of this Debate Hall thread about how we should just kill off all retired people to save money and help people that are actually supporting society. Logically it is sound, but do you see why it would never happen?
Because logic cannot work when people are considered about lesser things? Yes.

I came to the same conclusion on my own a long time ago. I haven't pursued it with my friends because not all of them can be expected to react logically to this. Although I probably should, would foster good discussion.

How about an Olympic athlete that dedicates most of their day for years trying to get the gold medal and fails? Do you think that person could get over it right away?
If they understand what they actually need to do to win next Olympics? Yes. I will bet you most Olympians get back up and train the next day, because they understand that's what they need to do.

Being sad functions as an aversive stimuli, conditioning you into never wanting to fail again. Without it, humans wouldn't be as successful as they are. The longer the sadness lasts, the more effective it is. Look at it that way Arcansi.
As long as we have control of our own thinking we have the power to do this on our own and shouldn't require such stimuli, although they help.

I would wonder why being sad for longer helps more.

I would also question how being sad functions as such a stimuli when it is also brought on by actions that cannot be said as such, like the death of a loved one.

It makes no sense.

| Big D |

Smash Master
It's the "You deserved to lose" that got me, I really wasn't upset at that time about the loss, I was upset that you basically insulted my entire team. I don't believe you are in any position make calls and observations from your standpoint, especially as you don't understand... period. The amount of training and fundraising we do is tremendous.
I don't wish to go back in forth, tear this post apart, I won't respond, waste of time.

Anyways, I just found a new Peach tech involving free pulling.

Now some of you may watch Yami and see he free pulls in reverse.

This is done in a method much like RAR except with free pulling.

However if you input a dash at the end, you slide much faster and further.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
It's the "You deserved to lose" that got me, I really wasn't upset at that time about the loss, I was upset that you basically insulted my entire team. I don't believe you are in any position make calls and observations from your standpoint, especially as you don't understand... period. The amount of training and fundraising we do is tremendous.
I don't wish to go back in forth, tear this post apart, I won't respond, waste of time.
What I'm trying to do is understand others and the way they think. My post was not made to hurt you in any way.

Thing is, I can logically know your team deserved to lose because you have to deserve to lose to lose, in the eyes of the game.

I'm not saying anything except that the other team was better then you at the time of the game. This is a fact, and something you shouldn't try to deny ever.

Sorry if I made you mad, but from what I understand this is more your fault then mine. I could be wrong though.

For every person that ignores me I actually feel sad. This is because of the loss of opportunity that is illogical in nature. I cannot change it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
As long as we have control of our own thinking we have the power to do this on our own and shouldn't require such stimuli, although they help.

I would also question how being sad functions as such a stimuli when it is also brought on by actions that cannot be said as such, like the death of a loved one.

It makes no sense.

We're under less control over our own thinking that you might think. Decisions can be made up in your mind before you're even conscience of them. This doesn't just apply to instinctual reflexes or whatever, complex decisions have been proven to at least be partially not under our "own" control.

The longer it affects you, the more it sticks in your head.

Emotions, just like humans, aren't perfect, but their function is very clear. Also, don't take what I say as something I am making up. I am currently a psych major in university, and this is stuff I've recently learned about.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
We're under less control over our own thinking that you might think. Decisions can be made up in your mind before you're even conscience of them. This doesn't just apply to instinctual reflexes or whatever, complex decisions have been proven to at least be partially not under our "own" control.

The longer it affects you, the more it sticks in your head.

Emotions, just like humans, aren't perfect, but their function is very clear. Also, don't take what I say as something I am making up. I am currently a psych major in university, and this is stuff I've recently learned about.
Okay.

What does this mean? That my own evidence, reliant on my own observed reactions, is inaccurate and should not be used for posting?

I don't see what I'm doing wrong here considering that I used myself as a 'genie pig' about most everything.

Asa

Smash Hero

it's equivalent to getting a bad taste in your mouth and being in a hospital in pain when you eat something

the worse the experience the greater chance that you'll avoid the situation

Arcansi

Smash Champion
it's equivalent to getting a bad taste in your mouth and being in a hospital in pain when you eat something

not necessarily the length of sadness, but the intensity as well, tho they're usually related
I can kinda see this.

Is sympathy supposed to represent your best attempt to help someone then? It would seem like a better course to leave the sad person pretty much alone until they get over it.

I don't doubt all of this, I just can't relate to any of it because I can't remember a time I was actually sad and it affected how I reacted to stuff.

Like, I was sad, but I didn't react any differently.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
guinea THERE WE GO.

That took FOREVER. Also that was funny as heck, thx T-Block.

Also rob left me during our conversation, so now I'm not sure if you guys are logically wrong in the way you acted, or I missed something somewhere.

NVM HES BACK ON CONVO GO.

Peepz should join this msn thing.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Okay.

What does this mean? That my own evidence, reliant on my own observed reactions, is inaccurate and should not be used for posting?

I don't see what I'm doing wrong here considering that I used myself as a 'genie pig' about most everything.
I'll elaborate. Yes, the emotion"sadness" can also function in a different way, such as being sad over losing a loved one, but that doesn't mean "sadness" was not evolved to increase human fitness (ability to survive and reproduce). So being sad over a loved one might indicate that sadness also helps us learn how to really care about the people we really care about. Think about it. At a young age you have your grandma that you love, but since you're young when she dies you don't know her too well, but it still results in you being very sad. Then you can generalize this feeling to predict how you'd feel about losing your parents or, in the future, your love partner. With that sad feeling in the back of your head, you make sure you do as much as you can to prevent your partner from going into a dangerous situation because you love them. So in a way, "sadness" is still functioning in the same way, but it just appears differently to you.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I'll elaborate. Yes, the emotion"sadness" can also function in a different way, such as being sad over losing a loved one, but that doesn't mean "sadness" was not evolved to increase human fitness (ability to survive and reproduce). So being sad over a loved one might indicate that sadness also helps us learn how to really care about the people we really care about. Think about it. At a young age you have your grandma that you love, but since you're young when she dies you don't know her too well, but it still results in you being very sad. Then you can generalize this feeling to predict how you'd feel about losing your parents or, in the future, your love partner. With that sad feeling in the back of your head, you make sure you do as much as you can to prevent your partner from going into a dangerous situation because you love them. So in a way, "sadness" is still functioning in the same way, but it just appears differently to you.
I don't remember any feelings of sadness when my pet dog or hamster died, or when I learned that my grandma had some weird cancer that I can't remember.

So I'm not sure I can completely understand due to my lack of being able to confirm this in real life.

Idk...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's not like I am saying everyone experiences sadness in the same ways or through the same means. I am simply saying that to say "being sad over something like that is childish" is actually quite dumb, because it's not like humans haven't evolved to experience sadness, because they were. You can't really argue that (if you believe in evolution) because all natural selection works on is selecting traits that enhance fitness. So I guess technically every trait humans have are supposed to be better for fitness than our ancestor.

Or so they say, but I have faith that they're right cause it sounds pretty legit and there was a lot of research done on how this stuff works.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
It's not like I am saying everyone experiences sadness in the same ways or through the same means. I am simply saying that to say "being sad over something like that is childish" is actually quite dumb, because it's not like humans haven't evolved to experience sadness, because they were. You can't really argue that (if you believe in evolution) because all natural selection works on is selecting traits that enhance fitness. So I guess technically every trait humans have are supposed to be better for fitness than our ancestor.
This falls off once we stop needing many traits we evolved to have to survive.

Or atleast, once we stop needing them nearly as much as our body would use them.

I'm not trying to debunk you, I'm just going through this logically and seeing all this.

My question now has an answer, and I thank you for this. (It was always a question, not a statement).

Does this mean it is impossible to be sad for too long, and that sympathy is warranted as a way to try to help someone? (Although I don't see how that would work, as it would assumedly make it seem like less of a problem then it is by reducing the sadness, therefore making it more likely then it should be that it happens again.)

I'm trying to make sense of it all, and it doesn't.

Or so they say, but I have faith that they're right cause it sounds pretty legit and there was a lot of research done on how this stuff works.
I can believe it, I just find it weird that I can't relate at some points.

Asa

Smash Hero
Is sympathy supposed to represent your best attempt to help someone then? It would seem like a better course to leave the sad person pretty much alone until they get over it.

humans are a social creature, sympathy can be an emotional response to help a fellow comrade out, potentially increasing your survivability as you have a stronger group

Alphicans

Smash Hero
What do you mean this falls off? Humans can't evolve in a life time. Evolutions happen purely by chance, so we can't lose any traits by choice.

The big picture concept here is that every trait we possess is a result of many random mutations being selected for because it offered better fitness. I couldn't hope to list all the functions each emotion serves, but I am sure just by seeing what they do for people you could figure it out.

Anyways I am done giving a lesson on evolution and emotions lol.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
humans are a social creature, sympathy can be an emotional response to help a fellow comrade out, potentially increasing your survivability as you have a stronger group
I see.

What do you mean this falls off? Humans can't evolve in a life time. Evolutions happen purely by chance, so we can't lose any traits by choice.

The big picture concept here is that every trait we possess is a result of many random mutations being selected for because it offered better fitness. I couldn't hope to list all the functions each emotion serves, but I am sure just by seeing what they do for people you could figure it out.

Anyways I am done giving a lesson on evolution and emotions lol.
What I was trying to say is that we don't need it(to a certain level) at a certain point, and it would be better for it to be gone, so the emotions usefulness falls off.

We can make a choice and change this(at least, from my experience), I've changed some pretty amazing things that I would never expect because of a choice.

Skidd knows.

Thanks for that Alphicans.

@Courier: Working on it, youll have to edit the quotes in yourself as I have no way of doing so.

Unless you don't care about it linking to the post number, of course. I can just give you a ready-made post if you want, although it'll be from me.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Erm anybody's free to contribute so feel free to post. Please don't troll - there's enough of that going on.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Of course you change things based on the way you think, but you don't tell a man and his basketball team they deserve to lose and spit in his face. Especially when you can't even relate, I doubt you're on a hardworking Basketball team that does Fundraisers and the like because their dedicated. You might do something similar but the fact is you don't. I'm probably making assumptions but I completely disagree with what you initally said. And for the record, I'm not getting into this thing with you so if you decide to Quote this I'll just ignore it.

Anyways

V3H 4Z5
65 Foxwood Drive #44,
Port Moody, British Columbia
12pm - 6pm ish
http://g.co/maps/nt4xs

My place is a little annoying to get too, & google maps shows you where my mailbox is. LOL. But it's still pretty ez and if you have any problems my number is 604-three five three-6Five7Five. If you follow the road in the screenie it'll take you to a roundabout, on the right is an underground lot with guest parking.

House number is 44, txt/call if you can't find the place.

Let me know if you're taking busses.

who's coming tomorrow?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Oh and forgot to mention doors open iwakeup at 12 noon, but I'm gonna need everyone out by 5pm sharp

not to sound like a hardass but I'm always busy Friday nights and I still need time after everyone leaves to get ready and ish

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Of course you change things based on the way you think, but you don't tell a man and his basketball team they deserve to lose and spit in his face. Especially when you can't even relate, I doubt you're on a hardworking Basketball team that does Fundraisers and the like because their dedicated. You might do something similar but the fact is you don't. I'm probably making assumptions but I completely disagree with what you initally said. And for the record, I'm not getting into this thing with you so if you decide to Quote this I'll just ignore it.
@Everyone: Why do people think they can act like this and find it okay to do so? I mean, why is it okay to talk to me but just say 'but I get the last word because I want too' it seems illogical and bad to do.

So why do people find it okay?

@Sinister: (Hey you never know Big D responded to my quote)

It's a logical equivalent. To lose you have to deserve to lose in the eyes of the game, and it is the game that decides wether you win or lose. (along with your choices inside of it, etc.)

@Courier: I'd love to argue this but it's not about logical things, it's about a MU I have no experience or knowledge of, sorry.

Top Bottom