• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Jigglypuff Competitive and Metagame Discussion

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
As of recently, Jigglypuff has had newfound significance because she's one of the new Fairy type Pokemon introduced in X/Y.

I'm actually pretty shocked that this didn't come into play in any of her customs, though. Imagine: Stationary Rollout that launches Star Bits conally ahead, called Dazzling Gleam. Yes please!
This would require effort/good, diverse design choices. Tbh, I'm supprised theres no custom rest that's just a counter

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I myself think there should have been a custom of rest that was essentially Melee Rest (maybe even stronger), but put a flower on YOUR head when you used it. It's a better idea for a custom than Wakie-Wakie, and also somewhat less arbitrary than Leaping Rest.

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
Right now SHFF Up air looks like it could set up for this at some %s. Also Fair at certain %s could too.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Can you take advantage of a missed tech by inputting dair while immediately jumping away? That would be my prime suspect.
Also, is this a weaker hitbox where you're hitting or just one of the weak hits in general?

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Can you take advantage of a missed tech by inputting dair while immediately jumping away? That would be my prime suspect.
Also, is this a weaker hitbox where you're hitting or just one of the weak hits in general?
Wondering the same. If it could be used like Little Mac's down-air, that'd be amazing.

Last edited:

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
You can indeed fastfall it! The timing is strict though. You have to hit with less than 3 hits of the dair, which the main struggle. I'll post a vine of Fair-> FF Dair Jab reset -> rest later today.

Edit: sorry totally missed the point of your post, any hit of Dair can jab reset except for the last one

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
You can indeed fastfall it! The timing is strict though. You have to hit with less than 3 hits of the dair, which the main struggle. I'll post a vine of Fair-> FF Dair Jab reset -> rest later today.

Edit: sorry totally missed the point of your post, any hit of Dair can jab reset except for the last one
I fast fell it several times with only the first hit, never worked...

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
This is awesome. Is there any way we can force people to slide off of platforms (aside from dsmash, which has high endlag) in order to use this effectively?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I think Dair will be more useful to practice myself, though. A jab lock that leads to kill percent and far, far beyond is definitely amazing.

GeeHaus

Smash Cadet
I'm having a difficult time sealing the lock with the drill at the same height level as my opponent, but an easy time getting it if they're on a platform above. Is this due to poor timing? Has anyone else been able to get it when at equal height?

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Jiggly... There is no sourspot on Dair...
It's the area between puff's feet and body. You can't fast fal directly into them with your feet, or do that on the platform. It is the sourspot area, it also has no vacuum box. Or maybe it's just the vacuum box, but I'm pretty sure it is a sourspot.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I have to practice this the next chance I get to play smash. It's awesome just....psjimflidjconefkjvru *incoherent mutterings*

♥ Rd0Lg ♥

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rider0fLightning
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
Although to be fair (heh) fair Oos>Rest at ~45-50% seems like a much easier and more devastating followup. But interesting property of the dair, especially since she didn't really have a good jab reset move.

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
Although to be fair (heh) fair Oos>Rest at ~45-50% seems like a much easier and more devastating followup. But interesting property of the dair, especially since she didn't really have a good jab reset move.[/quotet also strict %s it works at,
Although to be fair (heh) fair Oos>Rest at ~45-50% seems like a much easier and more devastating followup. But interesting property of the dair, especially since she didn't really have a good jab reset move.
it is really interesting, flashy but has very little application at the moment. The fair set up only works at around 35-65 (depending on the char). But there are some interesting platform setups as well. On Fastfallers @ 0, if your underneath a battle field platform you can get up tilt > up tilt > up smash. Then forces them into a tech situation on the platform above

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
it is really interesting, flashy but has very little application at the moment. The fair set up only works at around 35-65 (depending on the char). But there are some interesting platform setups as well. On Fastfallers @ 0, if your underneath a battle field platform you can get up tilt > up tilt > up smash. Then forces them into a tech situation on the platform above

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
It seems like the endlag on Usmash wouldn't give you time to Dair lock them :(

MK.TWO

Smash Rookie
Flippant you are amazing! :D
You change the metagame , jab reset was fundamental with jigglypuff in melee
an now in smash 4 , Jigg mains Get Hype !!
Edit: i find a best set up than Fair to Dair lock :
- Around 50 %Sourspot nair to Dair lock is better because the opponent have less time to tech
- Sourspspot Fair at higher % is his principal set up to lock at this %

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
- Around 50 %Sourspot nair to Dair lock is better because the opponent have less time to tech
I hope, the timing is so strict, idk if it would really be all too applicable in the competitive scene. I hope I'm wrong though!!! :D

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! Also try some of the platform set ups, up air at various %'s on different characters can setup for a tech situation. Also on falcon, iirc you can get 3 up tilts to true combo into each other at 0%. Which puts them into tumble. So if your underneath a platform that could be a tech situation

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Since we're on the subject of jab resets and how awesome they are with Jiggs, has anyone tried with Jab 2? It's something that randomly occurred to me yesterday as an option, though I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I doubt it works at kill %, but it's always worth trying.

In the meantime, I need to practice with Dair...

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Since we're on the subject of jab resets and how awesome they are with Jiggs, has anyone tried with Jab 2? It's something that randomly occurred to me yesterday as an option, though I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I doubt it works at kill %, but it's always worth trying.

In the meantime, I need to practice with Dair...
jab 2 has more KB than jab 1, so I doubt it...

Flippant

Smash Apprentice
I'm so glad this is catching the attention of some lurkers, we need to find the most practical set ups for this. Put Puff at the top :D

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I managed to pull off up tilt > up tilt > dair > rest against Captain Falcon in training mode at 0%. It was a true combo and did 52% damage, but came just short of actually killing. I also managed up tilt x2 > dair > footstool. Can Puff get anything guaranteed from a footstool jump?

Top Bottom