• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Tier List by SHI-G March '15 (Version 1.0.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingVexx

Smash Cadet
It has to do with tipper and shield stun, with tipper you get a bit more shield stun in your attacks, which make them "safer". Lucina doesn't have this

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Bottom Tier Battles

I'd like to bring up something that Pidgezero is doing up in Ontario in the GTA: Bottom Tier Battles.

This is a tournament in Ontario coming up in May with only low tier characters allowed.

This is great because:
  • It gives them a chance to get some exposure over the popular higher tiers that get used more commonly.
  • Gives a chance for those players to prove that they shouldn't be low-tiers.
  • This is a great way of exploring, playing, and viewing matchups that are otherwise uncommon.
For N64 and Melee, the Mid-tier and below was used. So for Melee, anyone below the Links, and for N64, Yoshi and below. In Brawl, only the F-tier was used (Mario -> Ganon).

For Wii U, we'll be using this tier list from SHI-G, as it's the most accurate one available at the moment.

Looking at the current tier list, it's obvious that S, A and B tiers are too high to be included: All these characters (wether you disagree with their placement or not) are fairly powerful and have reliable ways to get KOs, wether it's by easy follow ups, forcing frame-traps, or trapping with projectiles.
S :
:4diddy:
A :
(High):4sheik: :4yoshi: :4sonic::rosalina:
(Mid):4wario: :4villager::4zss:
(Low):4fox:

B :
(High):4ness::4falcon::4mario:
(Mid):4pikachu: :4luigi::4rob::4megaman:
(Low):4pacman::4pit::4duckhunt:
Notably, all characters who made top 8 at Apex (Duck Hunt, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Pac-Man, Rosalina) are included in these tiers, and many of the others (Mario, Fox, Ness, Luigi, Yoshi, Zero Suit, Pikachu) have proved to be powerful threats in other tournaments.

The question comes with C-tier. What would you think if it were to be included in the list of allowed characters for a lower tiers tournament?

For reference:
C :
(High):4darkpit::4lucario::4greninja:
(Mid-High):4dedede::4tlink::4olimar::4metaknight:
(Mid-Low):4peach::4bowser:
(Low):4bowserjr::4littlemac:
Notable mentions are all of the high Cs: Dark Pit, Lucario, and Greninja. I believe these three will be fairly dominant in a Bottom Tier Battle.

edit: two of these characters (Olimar and Little Mac) were also featured in top 8 at Apex, albeit they were used as counter-pick secondaries rather than mains.

Regarding the other lower tiers:
D :
(High):4shulk::4miibrawl::4palutena:
(Mid):4gaw::4link::4drmario:
(Low):4miigun::4jigglypuff:

E :
(High):4robinm: :4falco::4dk::4kirby:
(Mid-High):4wiifit::4myfriends: :4ganondorf::4samus:
(Mid-Low):4zelda::4charizard::4marth:
(Low):4lucina::4miisword:
Link being in D-tier with the infinite jab-lock will surely be abused, though it's worth noting that all these characters from C-tier to E-tier can escape it: Jigglypuff, Greninja, Peach, Samus, Game & Watch, Marth and Lucina.

No word on Customs yet, but they will be probably be off as this tier list was made with them off.

So what do you all think? Is C-tier too strong for a low-tier tournament?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A lot about this just seems closed-minded...

"...and anything D and below has their limit capped at top 8." for one is a terrible way to approach a Smash game just 6 months after release and you're REALLY not helping character potential grow.
Secondly, the ruleset here just doesn't look good. 1- I'm pretty sure the timer is too long. Fast characters really can stall if they need to and your defense is up to snuff (this isn't Brawl, you don't need that much time). 2- The stage list is pretty limited, ignoring capable stages like Town & City and (as much as I don't like fighting there) Duck Hunt. 3- Having Miis, but limiting their moves, while appropriate for a no-customs ruleset (ignoring how oxymoronic that is in someways), limits their potential by a LOT.

Its seems like solid tier placement for some recent developments, but I wouldn't trust it.

(This is an analysis that disagrees with approaches to placing ALL characters. The fact that I noted some specific victims does NOT mean that I'm getting upset over character replacement. Do not remove under the "Please do not post comments hating on the tier list just because you dislike the placement of a character." Rule because that's not what I'm here for)

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I somewhat like this list better than the SWF's tier list, but I think that it could be a little bit more accurate. I would move Kirby, Mii Gunner, Shulk, Mii Brawler, and Doc up to C tier. Other than that, I actually agree with this list.

Mambo No.64

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ubernerd
3DS FC
0361-6561-6882
Japan really loves rush down characters. Also honest characters (Falco) don't garner that much attention. I'm 98% this'll change though.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Im not trying to be bias, I just think he is an all around balanced character with an excellent recovery and in MY OPINION should have been placed higher.
Nacho list boi. Plus, this is the Japanese's tier list, there's still time to influence NA.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Im not trying to be bias, I just think he is an all around balanced character with an excellent recovery and in MY OPINION should have been placed higher.
HOORAY MID TIER LYFE!

real talk though, I've always known he's mid tier at best, low at worst.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I just see a whole lot of posts from people that dont know jack about tier lists.

Also, Marth isn't good so stop crying about him.

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
He probably would be higher if Dark Pit wasn't a thing. The reason people prefer Dark Pit is because he is stronger. So if he didn't exist and Pit naturally had Dark Pit's strength, he would probably take Dark Pit's place. Thus placing him higher on the tier list.

EDIT: Forget my post mentioning Dark Pit placing higher than regular Pit. But Dark Pit is the stronger character, and is usually the preferred one of the two.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
He probably would be higher if Dark Pit wasn't a thing. The reason people prefer Dark Pit is because he is stronger. So if he didn't exist and Pit naturally had Dark Pit's strength, he would probably take Dark Pit's place. Thus placing him higher on the tier list.
wait what. I thought Pit was stronger. to my knowledge his F-tilt and Side-B is stronger than Darks. Dark only had that 1% with arrows and even then it wasn't as useful as pits curvy arrows.

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
wait what. I thought Pit was stronger. to my knowledge his F-tilt and Side-B is stronger than Darks. Dark only had that 1% with arrows and even then it wasn't as useful as pits curvy arrows.
First of, ignore my post about Dark Pit placing higher than regular Pit. Second of all yes Dark pit is stronger than regular Pit.

Troykv

Smash Master
Pit F-titlt has more knockback, damage I don't know

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think it's fairly obvious that Pit > Dark Pit, though they're both quite close in terms of placing.

Not sure if Dark Pit should be C-tier instead of at the last spot of B-tier for this reason. Is the less knockback that much more important, or is it the arrows and knockback of the side-B arms that also make the difference?

I'm no Pit main, but I think they're both viable.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
All I know is that Mid-Lightweight characters = Pit and Heavy characters = Dark pit
And because majority of the top tiers are mid/lightweight, pit is more relevant.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Jigglypuff is underrated. I may sound suspect (look at my avatar and Nickname for more informations), but she has some powerful abilities (mainly at the air) and has a much powerful Rest. Ganon is also much better than his Brawl brother, he is stronger than ever...His slowness make him underplayed.

Grass

Smash Lord
I just see a whole lot of posts from people that dont know jack about tier lists.

Also, Marth isn't good so stop crying about him.
This coming from the most respected person when it comes to Smash 4 Marth. The same person who's guide people refer to when it comes to marth. This is by far the most hypocritical thing. I have ever read on this forum. smh

you sir are a disgrace.

Last edited:

PigInATuxedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
PigInATuxedo
3DS FC
0361-7263-5368
I am not hating, but I would place jigglypuff in high c or low b, maybe mid c. And I think fox should be in b.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
This coming from the most respected person when it comes to Smash 4 Marth. The same person who's guide people refer to when it comes to marth. This is by far the most hypocritical thing. I have ever read on this forum. smh

you sir are a disgrace.
How is he a disgrace? If he wants to spend time on a character that he believes isn't a top tier character, is that bad?
No.
Furthermore if he takes his time to make guides and is acknowledged by many Marth players, he probably knows about Marths viability.
Also Mr.R.

PigInATuxedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
PigInATuxedo
3DS FC
0361-7263-5368
Jigglypuff is underrated. I may sound suspect (look at my avatar and Nickname for more informations), but she has some powerful abilities (mainly at the air) and has a much powerful Rest. Ganon is also much better than his Brawl brother, he is stronger than ever...His slowness make him underplayed.
I completely agree!

Grass

Smash Lord
How is he a disgrace? If he wants to spend time on a character that he believes isn't a top tier character, is that bad?
No.
Furthermore if he takes his time to make guides and is acknowledged by many Marth players, he probably knows about Marths viability.
Also Mr.R.
I really hope you can follow a basic train of thought.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Peach and Bowser lower than Meta Knight, Toon Link, and Olimar? Robin hanging in bottom tier? Shulk in D tier? Toon Link a whole tier higher than Link? Wario in A tier?? Oh, Japan...
To be fair, this list certainly has Eventscrubs beat, and heck, I might even venture to say that it's better than the current community voted list.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

you sir are a disgrace.
So because I'm not **** sucking Marth or lying to myself about his viability I'm a disgrace?

Foolishness. People look up to me and message me everyday about this game. I owe it to them to NEVER sugar coat anything. If someone asks me if Marth is good I will say NOPE. If someone ask me hey will you help me become a good Marth, I will say YOU BET YOUR ASS I WILL. I will teach you everything I know and I pray you surpass me in every way.

Little stripling trying to come at me all wrong.

You amuse me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom