• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan or America

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I've lived in japan (Tokyo) for a few years when i was in high school

it's cool the first week or so but it gets really boring fast. Theres much more to do here in america and it is much cheaper here. although i do miss UFO bowls

meta master

Smash Journeyman
I've been to Japan as well. It's a beautiful country, but that's not the reason 80% of people on smashboards would move there.

Btw, as a note to Japanophiles; Japanese people hate anime***s as much as we do.
Japan is quite nice. and how can you hate anime???!!!

Timbers

check me out
It's amusing as **** to me that the majority who'd prefer Japan over America is heavily centered around the entertainment value of Japan. I doubt most consider its education, government, housing, and economic state. But as long as we have cute anime girls it's kay right? ^____________^

America. There is no other place on the face of this planet I'd rather be. There's some countries I'd like to visit, but the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure that after I started shelling out my first grand or two I'd start to see apparent flaws with my fantasy illusion of said vacation spot.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's amusing as **** to me that the majority who'd prefer Japan over America is heavily centered around the entertainment value of Japan. I doubt most consider its education, government, housing, and economic state. But as long as we have cute anime girls it's kay right? ^____________^
The irony is that their Japanese counterparts over fantasize about America in the same fashion. Thus disproving the Wapanese thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Timbers

check me out
The irony is that their Japanese counterparts over fantasize about America in the same fashion. Thus disproving the Wapanese thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
I live in America, I can criticize Americans. I don't know how the Japanese react to the idea of America but I don't doubt one bit they could be as annoying.

M@v

Subarashii!
I would only want to live in America. I don't care what people say or how bad the economy is, Im proud to be an American and honored to live under the stars and stripes.

The only way I'd live in japan is if I could be a total DBZ fanboy and walk around dressed like goku =P

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I would say america. I believe it is more enjoyable traveling to japan, than traveling from japan to america.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I would say Japan. It's an economic powerhouse and it is high-tech land!
Furthermore, the anime and the computer games would attract me...lol

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I would only want to live in America. I don't care what people say or how bad the economy is, Im proud to be an American and honored to live under the stars and stripes.

The only way I'd live in japan is if I could be a total DBZ fanboy and walk around dressed like goku =P
^ this. Yes i proud ot be an American, and i mean true american, as I am part Native American, and my ancestors track back among the earliest of slaves that were brought to the U.S. Plus, it's not as bad as the media projects it to be lol

Gameboy128

Smash Ace
The US is the greatest country in the world...why do you think everyone wants to immigrate here?

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Tough choice.

Honestly, I would love the general layout of Japan. I love cities. I love easy, inexpensive public transportation. Ever since I got to visit Greece I've been spoiled by the idea that you should be able to get anywhere you want to go in under a half hour. I love it when everything's close and you don't have to mess around with a car to do what you want to do. I like being around lots and lots of people.

Maybe I just need to get out of the midwest and into a coastal city, but right now I'd probably go with Japan... Or New York... Or maybe California... I dunno, I need to live a little longer before I can be sure.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I want to move to Bouvet Island and become its first permanent inhabitant.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
A lot of foreigners only see the "Hollywood" aspect of America because it's on TV. It's all they're exposed to. They think our whole country is like that.
I think most Americans also look at Japan through rose-colored glasses.

I would prefer to stay in America.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Japan!

Much better food, cooler people.

Also, less censorship and more humorous stuff. And also, I can blend in with them.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
If US is overthrive with gangsters or goin through a second depression, than Japan it is.
The voice of reason.

Japan would be a nice place to visit. I wouldn't want to live there for more than a year or two, though. And I would have to learn japanese BEFORE I go there. Don't want to be one of those uber n00b americans goin around with a phrase book insulting everybody unknowingly while asking which way to the bathroom. EPIC PHAIL.

Niiro

Smash Ace
America! **** YEAH! COMING AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHER ****ING DAY YEAH!
we have chuck norris. *****.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
somehow, i knew that most people would say japan
well im going the other way and say either Germany(to drink and get wasted) or Italy(Home of my grandparents)

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
America. As much as I hate 90% of the people here, our government subsidizes everything. Everything is expensive in Japan. Plus, if you're a non-Japanese Asian, ew.

But aside from racism, high prices, and crowded-as-heck areas, Japan's culture does not seem that bad at all.

Blooqkazoo, how would you compare the two educational systems? I personally hate the American one. Its slow-paced and the classes that mean something are a breeze while the crap ones that I doubt will get me anywhere in life have some level of difficulty. From what I've heard from others, Japan's system (and Asia's in general) is much much better than America's. They don't have meaningless projects for "creativity" and are actually drilled on learning things.

But I want to have more opinions on this ^___^

urdailywater

Smash Hero
From the entertainment value in Japan, you would think that the education from there is much superior.

Just nobody can create a well written story and then have the bravery to turn it into something like anime that most people will just assume as another "cartoon" or anything like that.

The education system would seem better in Japan, but I'm too Americanized to even think about it.

Japan has somewhat adapted the Western Culture but not enough for me to be able to live there. And we have adapted their eastern culture a bit but not a lot. Just ways of entertainment really. >.> It's hard to say I'd live in a completely different country when I understand nothing about it.

It's confusing. I'd have to had grown up there or actually learned a lot more about Japan besides what's over here before I could decide something like that.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
America. As much as I hate 90% of the people here, our government subsidizes everything. Everything is expensive in Japan. Plus, if you're a non-Japanese Asian, ew.

But aside from racism, high prices, and crowded-as-heck areas, Japan's culture does not seem that bad at all.

Blooqkazoo, how would you compare the two educational systems? I personally hate the American one. Its slow-paced and the classes that mean something are a breeze while the crap ones that I doubt will get me anywhere in life have some level of difficulty. From what I've heard from others, Japan's system (and Asia's in general) is much much better than America's. They don't have meaningless projects for "creativity" and are actually drilled on learning things.

But I want to have more opinions on this ^___^
The textbooks they use in Japan are way too easy for a lot of kids but America has several levels. The textbooks are designed so that the kids that are at the bottom of the class can solve the problems. That's one of the reasons why we have to go to clam schools and study our butts off.
BTW, I'm not in high school yet so high schools are probably different.

I don't know anything about racism. I have almost never seen any foreign people over there. At least they probably wouldn't insult you. Or even talk to you at all.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Japanese people aren't supposed to be very accepting of foreigners who intend to live there permanently. While a visit would be cool enough (if I had a pocket interpreter or something) for playing some games and stuff, living there sounds not so fantastic. Besides, America is underrated.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
From the entertainment value in Japan, you would think that the education from there is much superior.

Just nobody can create a well written story and then have the bravery to turn it into something like anime that most people will just assume as another "cartoon" or anything like that.

The education system would seem better in Japan, but I'm too Americanized to even think about it.

Japan has somewhat adapted the Western Culture but not enough for me to be able to live there. And we have adapted their eastern culture a bit but not a lot. Just ways of entertainment really. >.> It's hard to say I'd live in a completely different country when I understand nothing about it.

It's confusing. I'd have to had grown up there or actually learned a lot more about Japan besides what's over here before I could decide something like that.
Yeah. I've repeatedly heard that Asia's education system > America's by a longshot from relatives, friends, teachers, etc, etc. Blooqkazoo just seemed to contradict that so that's why I asked ^___^. But you do have a good point with that. They do seem to have a good grasp on popular market and made itself into something "special" for them Japanophiles ;P

The textbooks they use in Japan are way too easy for a lot of kids but America has several levels. The textbooks are designed so that the kids that are at the bottom of the class can solve the problems. That's one of the reasons why we have to go to clam schools and study our butts off.
BTW, I'm not in high school yet so high schools are probably different.

I don't know anything about racism. I have almost never seen any foreign people over there. At least they probably wouldn't insult you. Or even talk to you at all.
Mm. Now it does make sense. Thanks for the insight!
Most of what I hear comes from High school competition/getting into the specific high school.

>___> I'd imagine that would be very very stressful.

Japanese people aren't supposed to be very accepting of foreigners who intend to live there permanently. While a visit would be cool enough (if I had a pocket interpreter or something) for playing some games and stuff, living there sounds not so fantastic. Besides, America is underrated.
Thanks for clearing thus up for me as well.

And I hear the arcade life is incredible if you ever do go! If you play any fighters (i.e. GGXX, BlueBlaz, SF series, MeltyBlood, etc.), you should hit the arcades =D

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Japan is always one place I wanted to visit, emphasis on visit, not live. And hell yea, i'm cashing in my quarters and playing SF4, BlazBlue, and TvC (if in arcades) all during my trip.

Top Bottom