• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Janon social thread : Lair of the Floating Back Slapping Missile Reflecting King of Evil

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
I havn't seen this much energy on the Ganondorf boards in a looong time.
last time was maybe around when the footstool>stomp was being shared around?
or maybe just for stomp u-tilt?

Either way, it's nice to have some excitement around here again =D

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I havn't seen this much energy on the Ganondorf boards in a looong time.
last time was maybe around when the footstool>stomp was being shared around?
or maybe just for stomp u-tilt?

Either way, it's nice to have some excitement around here again =D
Somehow I always love using Aerial Flame Choke to Uptilt when they don't tech it right. I can't even figure out why that combo is a thing. lol

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Sorry for my late entry into this thread. Always used Cpt. Falcondorf in PM and in SSBB. Just always saw him as a secondary until now.

Long live Goodandorf! or perhaps Godandorf?

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
I don't usually do this, but...

Although does this mean Demise is lower tier than Ganondorf? :awesome:

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Changelist for the G-Dorf
Ganondorf Changelist

Tilts
-Forward Tilt
--Animations polished
--Outer hit trajectory raised from 32 to 361 (~45) degrees
--Inside hit trajectory still 32 degrees
--Interrupts frame 30 from 28
-Up Tilt
--Revised animation
--Rising hit lasts frames 5-11 from 3-12

Smashes
-Forward Smash
--Warlock Punch aesthetic adapted from nB to F-smash
--Mostly aesthetic change, timing / hit stats / hit area unchanged
-Up Smash
--U-smash interrupts 5 frames later
--Animation decloned slightly, otherwise same stats

Aerials
-Neutral Aerial
--Startup reduced from 7 frames to 5 frames
--Interrupts frame 38 from 45
-Back Aerial
--New animation (stats unchanged)

Grabs
-Standing grab
--Moved in 1 unit to match Melee range
-Dash grab
--Travels further and grabs slightly lower on inner grab boxes
-Jump Squat reduced from 6 frames to 5 frames

Throws
-Forward Throw
--Throw damage 4 to 8 (9 to 13 total). Stronger and has a darkness effect.
-Back Throw
--Angle 45 to 58, BKB 35 to 30, and Endlag 27->17
-Down Throw
--KBG raised from 40 to 45

Specials
-Neutral Special (Dead Man’s Drift & Volley)
--Replaced Warlock Punch with Dead Man’s Drift & Volley
--Press B on the ground to "volley" projectiles back to the sender at 2x speed
--Press B once in the air to start floating, press B a second time to air Volley
--After a 14fr startup period you can interrupt float with Aerial Attacks or Double Jump
-Forward Special (Flame Choke)
--Fixed minor instances of Flame Choke being techable before final hit
--Finishing a match with Flame Choke results in a victory for Ganondorf
--Due to global ledge grab adjustments you must now hold back to reverse grab the ledge after a grounded Flame Choke
-Up Special (Dark Dive)
--Fixed electric graphics to properly align with opponent during Up-B throw
-Down Special (Wizard’s Foot)
--Ground to Air ending able to go into Special Landing (mostly aesthetic)
--Wall-impact rebound lag reduced from 60 to 40 frames

Others
-Rolls
--Updated with new magical aesthetic (stats unchanged)
-Spot dodge
--Updated with new magical aesthetic
--Spot dodge is faster, invuln 2-15 and interrupts 22
-Taunts
--Down Taunt can now be held to perform a sword attack. 37/35/33/31 DMG, 100 KBG, 40 BKB
Some of these are great, others leave me a tad puzzled. Like, the grab change doesn't sound like it's particularly significant, and wtf are you telling me fsmash still has the same garbage trajectory?

Smaller jumpsquat is great along with always winning Ganoncide finishes (let's hope they actually got that right this time lol)

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Somewhat surprising amount of changes basically amount to fine-tuning appearance. Looks like they were paying attention to those who wanted his appearance decloned further from the Captain.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Changelist for the G-Dorf
Ganondorf Changelist

Tilts
-Forward Tilt
--Animations polished
--Outer hit trajectory raised from 32 to 169 (~45) degrees
--Inside hit trajectory still 32 degrees
--Interrupts frame 30 from 28
-Up Tilt
--Revised animation
--Rising hit lasts frames 5-11 from 3-12

Smashes
-Forward Smash
--Warlock Punch aesthetic adapted from nB to F-smash
--Mostly aesthetic change, timing / hit stats / hit area unchanged
-Up Smash
--U-smash interrupts 5 frames later
--Animation decloned slightly, otherwise same stats

Aerials
-Neutral Aerial
--Interrupts frame 38 from 45
-Back Aerial
--New animation (stats unchanged)

Grabs
-Standing grab
--Moved in 1 unit to match Melee range
-Dash grab
--Travels further and grabs slightly lower on inner grab boxes
-Jump Squat reduced from 6 frames to 5 frames

Throws
-Down Throw
--KBG raised from 40 to 45

Specials
-Neutral Special (Dead Man’s Drift & Volley)
--Replaced Warlock Punch with Dead Man’s Drift & Volley
--Press B on the ground to "volley" projectiles back to the sender at 2x speed
--Press B once in the air to start floating, press B a second time to air Volley
--After a 14fr startup period you can interrupt float with Aerial Attacks or Double Jump
-Forward Special (Flame Choke)
--Fixed minor instances of Flame Choke being techable before final hit
--Finishing a match with Flame Choke results in a victory for Ganondorf
--Due to global ledge grab adjustments you must now hold back to reverse grab the ledge after a grounded Flame Choke
-Up Special (Dark Dive)
--Fixed electric graphics to properly align with opponent during Up-B throw
-Down Special (Wizard’s Foot)
--Ground to Air ending able to go into Special Landing (mostly aesthetic)
--Wall-impact rebound lag reduced from 60 to 40 frames

Others
-Rolls
--Updated with new magical aesthetic (stats unchanged)
-Spot dodge
--Updated with new magical aesthetic
--Spot dodge is faster, invuln 2-15 and interrupts 22
-Taunts
--Down Taunt can now be held to perform a sword attack. 37/35/33/31 DMG, 100 KBG, 40 BKB
Some of these are great, others leave me a tad puzzled. Like, the grab change doesn't sound like it's particularly significant, and wtf are you telling me fsmash still has the same garbage trajectory?

Smaller jumpsquat is great along with always winning Ganoncide finishes (let's hope they actually got that right this time lol)
Hmm, I'm unsure of the implications of the later interrupts on allot of these moves, especially Nair (No more Vortex?)

Can someone clarify what is meant exactly?
It seems like your ability to act out of said moves will be a bit laggier, but i'm not 100% sure.

Edit: I DO like the Slightly faster jump squat though, I've been begging for that for what feels like 2 years.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I am actually curious as to what interrupt frames mean? One term I don't think I have encountered before.

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing interrupt frames are the earliest frames you can input an action and end animation? Not really sure.

In other news: I'm not a big fan of the new upsmash animation. Makes DACUS seem less stylish to me.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Interrupts are IASA (Interruptable As Soon As: when you can act during an animation) and I guess autocancels when it comes to aerial moves.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Ah, so just another way of saying IASA. Then ouch. I mean, I can ALWAYS understand the logic of being cautious about how good a character is if they have vortex game, but still. I imagine they feel that if his anti-zoning is stronger and his approach less predictable, he might not need as good of reward of landing a hit.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
--Interrupts frame 38 from 45 (i.e, changed from frame 45 to frame 38)

It's a buff. Shorter startup, earlier IASA. Hail Ganon.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Earlier startup on nair is real nice. Makes for a much better OOS option combined with a faster jumpsquat.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The D-Throw change may be to make Ganon's chaingrab slightly (keyword, slightly) more difficult, perhaps? It's all I can think of with the higher knockback growth, perhaps it's to prevent the CG at higher percents.

Also looked into D-Taunt sword hitboxes and, yes, you can probably edgeguard with it if you want to disrespect with the disjoint. It is also incredibly powerful and far-reaching, too! Excellent disrespect.

Dead Man's volley also has what I wanted....a pimpslap hitbox. It can hit people up close. I guess that is for even more disrespect.

Everything else is like, improvement city though. Project M 3.Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Yeah dthrow nerf was definitely warranted it was a stupid good move just was attached to a bad character previously so didn't matter.

Also buffs to f/bthrow didn't even notice that on my first read through. Hello throw mixups.
Edit: Okay wait I didn't notice it on the first read through cause they weren't there, guess that got added later. Updated my post.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman

Well I totally read that wrong. Hellz yeah.

The D-Throw change may be to make Ganon's chaingrab slightly (keyword, slightly) more difficult, perhaps? It's all I can think of with the higher knockback growth, perhaps it's to prevent the CG at higher percents.

Also looked into D-Taunt sword hitboxes and, yes, you can probably edgeguard with it if you want to disrespect with the disjoint. It is also incredibly powerful and far-reaching, too! Excellent disrespect.

Dead Man's volley also has what I wanted....a pimpslap hitbox. It can hit people up close. I guess that is for even more disrespect.

Everything else is like, improvement city though. Project M 3.Ganondorf.
The degree to which all of this excites me is only outweighed by my sudden fear that nerfs will be forthcoming...

Last edited:

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
I can't play right now, can anyone test if he can now SH Nair waveland? Probably not, that might be too good.
Either way, it looks like Ganon got solid buffs while nearly every character got nerfed. He probably needed it, but that's really sweet.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
And to top that off less recovery effectiveness mostly across the board (although if anything new hover is that much more of an edge to recover, however slight.)

So, provided these tools don't turn out to be ineffective in practice, is there any glaring flaw in the Dorf at this point? Weaknesses or areas to overcome are fine, just anything like before that leaves him incomplete or 2 dimensional?

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Ah, so just another way of saying IASA. Then ouch. I mean, I can ALWAYS understand the logic of being cautious about how good a character is if they have vortex game, but still. I imagine they feel that if his anti-zoning is stronger and his approach less predictable, he might not need as good of reward of landing a hit.
Ganon's "arti vortex" is more of a safety/baiting/anti pressure tool. not really a vortex in the street fighter 4 sense.

and man, i totally read it back to front >.<

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Its hilarious reading the Social Thread and all the cries of nerfing. I couldn't help but be like "Hey all. Dorf-man here. Sup?"

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Okay, that was just too good, Yoki.

I need to relish this moment. Never before, and never again, will I actually be in the "lucky" category from a balance update.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah dthrow nerf was definitely warranted it was a stupid good move just was attached to a bad character previously so didn't matter.

Also buffs to f/bthrow didn't even notice that on my first read through. Hello throw mixups.
Edit: Okay wait I didn't notice it on the first read through cause they weren't there, guess that got added later. Updated my post.
yea oops

Datnox

Smash Rookie
My game crashes every time I try to float > double jump > forward b. Ganon too strong.

bandi

Smash Cadet
Tested Ganon - feels really good. There are still some major drawbacks :
His nB doesn't properly reflect Mario's Fireballs.
His Aerial DownB has still has no hitbox at the tip of his food - no priority whatsoever.

Other than that, I really like his Float and I'm gonna kick some major ass today against a veteran Melee player, inb4 flame war. What i really like the most is his float - he has a neutral game guys! You can go super deep with them boots, and use downB offstage+float as stalling tool and Fair your opponent to the face.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Can someone check if we can now waveland out of a SH Nair? I won't be able to play for a while.

GeZ

Smash Lord
So after reading the full changelog, we're like, one of five characters that didn't get nerfs, and one of like, two maybe, that were buffed overall.

WE COOKIN BAYBEE

Coastward

Smash Lord
hi, gonna make an appearance again now that 3.5dorf is out.

if you guys didnt know, you can still RAR hover. so what i did was set one of my trigger buttons to special, that way its easier to RAR hover > bair/dair.

i've been ****ing around with **** like RAR hover > wizards foot and RAR hover > flame choke and the POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

you'll see me regularly now.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
hi, gonna make an appearance again now that 3.5dorf is out.

if you guys didnt know, you can still RAR hover. so what i did was set one of my trigger buttons to special, that way its easier to RAR hover > bair/dair.

i've been ****ing around with **** like RAR hover > wizards foot and RAR hover > flame choke and the POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

you'll see me regularly now.
And b-reverse RAR hover is there too, I learned it while trying to find a way to better control my movement options

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
That moment when you can't play PM until next week. Goddamn

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Gonna try more later.

Float is gr8

DMV can be janky. Maybe it takes getting use to though.

Grab is not better but other throws are.

WL is better

New Dacus feels lame.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Uhh... just a heads up that was supposed to be Medium Armor but it looks like my commit didn't work or something... enjoy the Super Armor for now! :p

The shoulder hitbox is intentional. Most sword users have them to prevent whiffing against people right next to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom