• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Janon social thread : Lair of the Floating Back Slapping Missile Reflecting King of Evil

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
well, the fact that ganon is kind of bad overall, matchup-wise, helps to temper the amazing awesomeness that is playing him : p
like, if they're shielding, it makes them drop shield?

FOOTSTOOLS DO THAT?! all this time i thought you would just bounce off their shield, giving you a muddier approach. if they drop their shield, that's the sickest : o
Yea it forces them out of shield into the footstool animation. I have a footstool video for diddy on youtube and i was going to record one for most of the cast tonight.
Ganon isnt in a siutation where he is on peoples shields like that too often, but its a nice tool to keep in mind for when it comes up.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Went to a tourney today, sadly didn't make it out of pools (was only top two move on) which was kind of disappointing. Still had some good matches though. Had one against a link player where I was just on point, and somehow this match gathered a sizable number of spectators so people were actually getting into it when I was pulling of chain grabs or getting flame choke follow ups, and then went nuts when I won with a Ganoncide. It was hype, felt so awesome.

...and then I went and lost the next two matches against him. I don't know if I choked or he got the download on me, it was kinda sucky :\
Freaking boomerangs man.

4 stocked some other guy in my pool though, didn't feel so bad after that haha.

Last edited:

Breezy

Smash Ace
Hello again. Been to a couple more tourneys and think I've been getting 5th consistently. I'll post some results and bids if I can find them!

Spralwers

Smash Ace
At the monthly, made it out of pools into bracket but lost my first two matches. I played pretty poorly overall that day. maybe that was the price to pay for staying up late for the weekly a few days prior, doing sick stuff like those down b edge cancels, and not getting the chance to rest properly <_<

I lost a Ganon ditto that I really shouldn't have. I hate Ganon dittos because one stray hit is all it takes for a stock to end. Ganon combos himself too well. Generally I opt to go Captain Falcon if my opponent plays Ganon and I probably should have done that. I was so salty after that loss.

I just ordered a mayflash GC-USB adapter. Gonna do some dolphin netplay and get some much needed practice. My overall inexperience with smash (I think this is my 4th month of competitive smash) is holding me back too much and I need to catch up to everyone else asap. Especially in PM where there are so many viable characters.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Got a 720 warlock punch in a 1v1 last night. The guy's excuse was that he didn't know you could turn it around twice. Still celebrated it.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Even though it has such limited use, I will miss WP if they change it, so rewarding if it hits.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
they could always just make WP into one of his taunts or something *shrugs*
Use it's animation for his Fsmash with the darkness effect and all.

It would be superior cause it has a little added range and it's a unique animation for Ganon.

Only thing the PMBR would have to do really is change te hitbox slightly and edit the WP animation abit so it would look nice when being tilted up or down. Also to cut Ganon's grunt when the fsmash isn't fully charged.

I think this is a win-win cause we get a new B and a unique fsmash to Ganon while keeping WP somewhat.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
At the monthly, made it out of pools into bracket but lost my first two matches. I played pretty poorly overall that day. maybe that was the price to pay for staying up late for the weekly a few days prior, doing sick stuff like those down b edge cancels, and not getting the chance to rest properly <_<

I lost a Ganon ditto that I really shouldn't have. I hate Ganon dittos because one stray hit is all it takes for a stock to end. Ganon combos himself too well. Generally I opt to go Captain Falcon if my opponent plays Ganon and I probably should have done that. I was so salty after that loss.

I just ordered a mayflash GC-USB adapter. Gonna do some dolphin netplay and get some much needed practice. My overall inexperience with smash (I think this is my 4th month of competitive smash) is holding me back too much and I need to catch up to everyone else asap. Especially in PM where there are so many viable characters.
When I come back to MA next month you'll have to deal with me at tournaments. I'll be at the upcoming Mass Madness, if you're going to that. I'm a melee ganon and I literally don't practice PM at all so we'll see.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
When I come back to MA next month you'll have to deal with me at tournaments. I'll be at the upcoming Mass Madness, if you're going to that. I'm a melee ganon and I literally don't practice PM at all so we'll see.
If you're at Crow's level of skill or better, you'll definitely beat me. I don't know if I'll be going to mass madness since it's melee only, but I might enter doubles. Do you plan on coming to the Smashing Grounds weeklies (which has both melee and PM)?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
If you're at Crow's level of skill or better, you'll definitely beat me. I don't know if I'll be going to mass madness since it's melee only, but I might enter doubles. Do you plan on coming to the Smashing Grounds weeklies (which has both melee and PM)?
Yes. I've attended one before and got like 9th in melee but didn't enter pm. I'll probably enter pm every time I go from now on though.

I think I'm approaching crow's level. My goal is to be the premier ganon in new england, which I think I can accomplish given that I'm spending the next two years in Boston and have received some very good training from upstate new york's finest. So although you haven't heard of new, you will.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
My goal is to be the premier ganon in new england, which I think I can accomplish given that I'm spending the next two years in Boston and have received some very good training from upstate new york's finest.
Well since NE is ass, you're already multiple steps ahead by training in NY :chuckle:

Are you gonna try to be the premier Ganon in both melee and PM?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Well since NE is ***, you're already multiple steps ahead by training in NY :chuckle:

Are you gonna try to be the premier Ganon in both melee and PM?
Well NE actually has some good ganons in PM so that would be a lot harder. If I became the best ganon at PM, that would be cool but I'm not trying to get that title. I'll enter all the PM events that are at Melee tournaments, but I'm primarily focusing on Melee.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Just won my first tourney reppin' the dorf. It was a small tournament, but I still got my first first-place finish under my belt and a whopping $16 in my wallet.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Nice one Scuba.

In honor of @ Hungry Headcrab Hungry Headcrab I did a footstool -> stomp on a Snake player on FoD and eventually converted it to a full stock, all on stream :D

http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/b/524941067 <--- start at 02:19:10 or a little before that.

Overall though my Ganon play was pretty poor at yesterday's tournament. Tired johns. It's alright though, nothing that can't be solved by just getting better sleep the night before.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Nice one Scuba.

In honor of @ Hungry Headcrab Hungry Headcrab I did a footstool -> stomp on a Snake player on FoD and eventually converted it to a full stock, all on stream :D

http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/b/524941067 <--- start at 02:19:10 or a little before that.

Overall though my Ganon play was pretty poor at yesterday's tournament. Tired johns. It's alright though, nothing that can't be solved by just getting better sleep the night before.
u lost cuz of ur tag
ur names not even bill u lier

But seriously, that footstool stomp was some good ****.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Nice one Scuba.

that was sick.

but you gotta stop trying to use side-b every combo and in the neutral. what you should be doing instead is taking control of center stage, coming in with some fairs, waveland ftilts/jabs, and other forms of ganon psychological shield pressure. you condition them to start shielding and then you pull out some side-bs. don't just approach with it. like, it goes through shield, but most moves will just outrange it and out-prioritize it in the neutral. and when you do get side-b, tech chasing with down-b is a terrible idea most of the time. you should chase with fairs, dairs, and side-bs instead.

the commentators were hilarious in how little they knew about ganon. "IT'S ALL HE HAS MAN. GANON ONLY HAS SIDE-B"

something that was really cool though was your use of edge canceled down-b. i'm actually gonna try that **** out in melee

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
/begin rant

It took me serious conscious effort to do that. Like I was sort of fishing for it the entire match. There were so many things I wanted to try out during all my Ganon matches: footstools, baiting jumps at close range and immediately stuffing them with up airs, wavelands after bairs, dtilt and ftilt zoning, DD away + side b to avoid any attack and immediately punish, aerial side bs when the opponent expects a fair, footstools out of dirt nap, arty vortexes, and a few more things. But nope I was so tired that I just went on autopilot and forgot about all those things usually <_<

I very often run into the scenario where I decide between staying up a little late for extra practice, or getting extra sleep to be better rested. I think from now on I will 100% always go for extra rest, because the more tired I am, the more likely I am to autopilot. And if I autopilot, I'll only resort to my most ingrained habits, which means I'll forget to use anything I learned in that extra practice anyway. And then my decision making will go down. It's basically getting negative experience o_o

I blame my tiredness on my job though. The hours (7am-3pm) do not in general cooperate with my sleep habits and more importantly, my social life. I'll be gone from this job by the end of the month though, so I don't have to be stuck in this rut for too much longer. And any job that I will get afterwards will be much friendlier to my overall life style. Can't wait!

/end rant

Also, heading to SKTAR. Gonna have to train hard. Anyone here gonna go and rep the Ganon?

that was sick.
but you gotta stop trying to use side-b every combo. and when you get it, down b is like super risky to use after.
something that was really cool though was your use of edge canceled down-b. i'm actually gonna try that **** out in melee
Yeah, my brain was in really bad autopilot mode. I generally never do so many side Bs or wiz kicks. Also you can't edge cancel wiz kick in melee. New PM technology. Don't remember if it was added in 3.0 or 3.02. Also, I was just watching a video on some 2.6b Ganon tricks and there was a sequence where Ganon was jump canceling grounded wiz kick. I've had that exact same thing happen on multiple occasions by accident, need to test that and see if it's still something you can do on command in 3.02.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Awwww I thought I was on to something there for a second. Dude another thing you should be doing is taking advantage of ganon's ridiculous waveland. PMers don't know about it as much because they're locked in this "ganon was bad in brawl so hes bad in pm" mindset. Practice moving around all the platform stages with it and doing aerials off of platforms. It will change your ganon game completely and give you so many new options.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Yea true, so far I've just been using platform wavelands as a way to cover ground more quickly (especially to extend combos). I have a mental block that just stops me from doing empty lands (and as a result, wavelands) in neutral unless I'm using someone like Roy that has a low SH and a quick FF. I'll get over it with practice.

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Nice one Scuba.

That was great, ha. We all need to footstool more if only because the reactions are priceless.

Also, how many Ganons does Smashing Grounds have? I swear I saw four on stream. So much stomp.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I'd go with the elder Link picture. It appeals more to my artistic side.
Shoutouts to @ Hungry Headcrab Hungry Headcrab for showcasing his nasty Ganon on Zodiac's stream. Oreo didn't know what hit him.
Could I get the link to the youtube video (if there is one)?
I now have two monitors
Glorious

Featuring guest appearance of @ Hungry Headcrab Hungry Headcrab beating on some fools
Having dual monitors is amazing. Especially when you want to watch smash streams/vids and do work at the same time.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Ha, I feel so popular.

Ended up in 9th out of 77, going all Ganon of course. Bummed I didn't reach top 8, but I'm happy with my performance. Even got my revenge game on Toby's Charizard.

I doubt the videos are on YouTube yet, but you can probably find them on zodiacsmash's twitch page.

Never mind, only subscribers can watch past broadcasts. They'll end up on here eventually I assume: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mofat

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
damn, really good placing, man!

i think the best i've pulled is like... 17 out of 70-ish at a dfw regional.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I got 9th once!
It was only out of 25 but shh

But what's up with that 77 man bracket. I assumed you guys didn't do pools, but apparently you did?
How the hell do you get 77 people out of pools?

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I got 9th once!
It was only out of 25 but shh

But what's up with that 77 man bracket. I assumed you guys didn't do pools, but apparently you did?
How the hell do you get 77 people out of pools?
It went straight to bracket, despite the schedule explicitly saying there were PM pools lol.

Top Bottom