• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Janon social thread : Lair of the Floating Back Slapping Missile Reflecting King of Evil

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Nope.

At nsa2 (our biggest tournament here in new england), I did fairly ok. 64 entrants, split into two brackets of 32, with the top 4 of each bracket advancing to top 8. I got ninth in my bracket. Lost to the guy that made it to grand finals. A Ganon player by the tag Secret Sauce did get 5th though, and he went Ganon the whole time, so a huge congrats to him.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Nope.

At nsa2 (our biggest tournament here in new england), I did fairly ok. 64 entrants, split into two brackets of 32, with the top 4 of each bracket advancing to top 8. I got ninth in my bracket. Lost to the guy that made it to grand finals. A Ganon player by the tag Secret Sauce did get 5th though, and he went Ganon the whole time, so a huge congrats to him.
will there be vids up eventually?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Why don't you guys use double jump Warlock Kick past the ledge as an edgeguard? It takes a second to set up but it eats a lot of recoveries.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Why don't you guys use double jump Warlock Kick past the ledge as an edgeguard? It takes a second to set up but it eats a lot of recoveries.
Umm.... I would assume that we don't do it because the risk of us missing the opponent and then not being able make it back to the ledge is too much. Double jump -> wiz kick -> miss -> opponent edgehogs.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Umm.... I would assume that we don't do it because the risk of us missing the opponent and then not being able make it back to the ledge is too much. Double jump -> wiz kick -> miss -> opponent edgehogs.
But still it can be situationally killer. Like if Marth uses his side B twice and is below the ledge within Up B distance, You can use Warlock Kick and have the worst case scenario be a trade. It's specifically a tool for edgeguarding people who are returning from below the stage but with proper timing I can't see why it can't be a good edgeguarding option.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
but with proper timing
That's the really tricky part. that and like you said it's situational. I'll explore it though since it's so deadly if it lands. The b reversal will come in handy I think.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
April fools, man. Also change is always good, what doesn't change is bound to die.

personally, because of the ****ty hitbox that doesn't even properly covers Ganon's foot. Dair's hitbox is much more interesting in that regard (that chin hitbox lmao).

Bazkip

Smash Master
Got 4th at a monthly going all Ganon.

Made a cool $8.

Spent it on pork.
Oh wait, I was watching that. It didn't click that that was you until just now, derp. That was some solid play.

I noticed that you scarcely used ftilt, dtilt or sideb. Those tilts come out super quick and have great range, they can put in a lot of work.
And sideb can lead to whole world of pain for your opponents if you read them properly. Just don't be too reckless with it, of course.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Oh wait, I was watching that. It didn't click that that was you until just now, derp. That was some solid play.

I noticed that you scarcely used ftilt, dtilt or sideb. Those tilts come out super quick and have great range, they can put in a lot of work.
And sideb can lead to whole world of pain for your opponents if you read them properly. Just don't be too reckless with it, of course.
I noticed that too, ha. Specifically, in the third game against Prime I tried peppering in more Flame Choke when I realized that would be landing crazy frequently if I just, you know, used it. Didn't really start landing them until my match against #FreeToby, but I played like trash in that set anyway so it didn't really matter.

I'm honestly not too happy about my play overall. Not sure how I ever win what with all of the blatant mistakes I constantly make.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
You don't win by being good, but by being less bad than your opponent. May this wisdom increase your power.

Also 4th is nothing to be ashamed of, do you have any vids ? Who did you lose to/win to ?

bandi

Smash Cadet
You don't win by being good, but by being less bad than your opponent. May this wisdom increase your power.

Also 4th is nothing to be ashamed of, do you have any vids ? Who did you lose to/win to ?
Musashi Miyamoto, one of the most famous Samurai, said something similar once “The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions” . There is another quote about winning - in order to achieve victory, one should concentrate on not losing. Hope that makes sense.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace

Vids aren't up on Youtube yet (I'll post them to the video thread when they are), but here's the twitch archive: http://www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming/b/517362608?t=494m0s

I beat Caped, Oreo, Iceman, and ThePrime. Lost to Silent Wolf in winners and #FreeToby in losers.

Also, I'm stoked to get 4th, it's the best I've done in bracket thus far. I just can't help but dwell on the mistakes in my play I guess, especially when there's video evidence to back my dwelling up.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Just watched the set against theprime and damn those are some sick dash attack follow ups. That late DA to Utilt son, gotta add this to my game somehow.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Vids aren't up on Youtube yet (I'll post them to the video thread when they are), but here's the twitch archive: http://www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming/b/517362608?t=494m0s

I beat Caped, Oreo, Iceman, and ThePrime. Lost to Silent Wolf in winners and #FreeToby in losers.

Also, I'm stoked to get 4th, it's the best I've done in bracket thus far. I just can't help but dwell on the mistakes in my play I guess, especially when there's video evidence to back my dwelling up.
Grats dude, you've done better than me, I've only been as far as top 8s a few times >.<

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Just watched the set against theprime and damn those are some sick dash attack follow ups. That late DA to Utilt son, gotta add this to my game somehow.
Ha, personally, it's my favorite way to kill fast-fallers. Seeing all the pieces fall into place is very satisfying.

Utilt put in so much work in that set, it was crazy.

You should embrace that video evidence rather than dwell on it. Watch those vids and see what it is you're doing that's getting you hit, and what it is you could be doing that would work better in some of those situations.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord

good stuff. 8:30:45 i didnt realize you could jump from the ledge into an aerial so quickly in pm. you cant do that in melee lol

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
good stuff. 8:30:45 i didnt realize you could jump from the ledge into an aerial so quickly in pm. you cant do that in melee lol
It's incredibly useful, I would recommend working it in to your repertoire. That, along with ledge invincibility, gives you a lot of extra range while edgeguarding.

You should embrace that video evidence rather than dwell on it. Watch those vids and see what it is you're doing that's getting you hit, and what it is you could be doing that would work better in some of those situations.
Will do.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
wise words indeed.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Did fairly decently at a weekly, knocked a couple of people out of winners before going up against one of the top players there. Still managed to JV 3 stock him match 2, though he went his main for the third match and beat me. Afterwards he told me that I was more of a challenge for him than he expected, guess I'll take that as a compliment?

Got 2-0'd by a Ness in loosers, knowing how to SDI out of PK Fire doesn't help any when they've immediately grab you. Though I found out that Wiz Foot from onstage to offstage beats out their recovery, that'll come in handy against Ness/sometimes Lucas in the future.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Which of the top players there did you fight? Kingkong? VWins? Ally? Holy? Pest? Yeah Ness is a really tricky match up. I've been spending lots of time in the lab conditioning myself to powershield/reflect projectiles based on a mix of visual cues on where the projectile is relative to me and watching their start up (so Ness's applies here) and hopefully it'll make a real difference. Good job though. Bair and the firey part of fair are good for edgeguarding that recovery too, as long as you keep in mind that 10 frames of initial invincibility. I've used side B against the recovery too. I'd take the damage but still grab lol

Also, I plan on coming up to the next major smash event in montreal, smash till you crash. Train hard or else I'll dunk and stomp you

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Which of the top players there did you fight? Kingkong? VWins? Ally? Holy? Pest? Yeah Ness is a really tricky match up. I've been spending lots of time in the lab conditioning myself to powershield/reflect projectiles based on a mix of visual cues on where the projectile is relative to me and watching their start up (so Ness's applies here) and hopefully it'll make a real difference. Good job though. Bair and the firey part of fair are good for edgeguarding that recovery too, as long as you keep in mind that 10 frames of initial invincibility. I've used side B against the recovery too. I'd take the damage but still grab lol

Also, I plan on coming up to the next major smash event in montreal, smash till you crash. Train hard or else I'll dunk and stomp you
Ah good, you're coming to that, we can finally get in those friendlies that never happened at Polybash.

Unfortunately those guys, save for Holy, don't come to the weeklies. It was Morks, who didn't enter Polybash for some reason, but he MM'd M2K and took him to last stock, and also I think he plays with Ally's group, so he's pretty good.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Is it the Snake player that teamed with Leon at some tournament ? From what I saw he's pretty good, though doubles don't seem to be his forte heh.

Also if you see Leon at smash till you crash be sure to play his Marth and say hi to him from me.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
If Morks trains with Ally's crew then he'll be pretty legit, judging by how good Kingkong is from how long he's been playing with them. It's always good to be able to bring M2K to last stock, although a big part of that now depends on what character he's using lol. Some people have 2 stocked his Fox only to be 3 stocked or worse by his Falco, Mario, or M2 o_O

Bazkip

Smash Master
Is it the Snake player that teamed with Leon at some tournament ? From what I saw he's pretty good, though doubles don't seem to be his forte heh.

Also if you see Leon at smash till you crash be sure to play his Marth and say hi to him from me.
Maybe? Though if Leon were to team with a Snake player I would think it'd be TO Joe

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I dont know if this is common knowledge, but footstool > stomp is guarenteed on the whole cast, and gets them out of shields. I was messing around with footstool stuff and i found this and i jizzed.

EndY

Smash Rookie
so i just wanna say that even as a longtime m2 fanboy (he's actually the reason I got pm)... Ganon is just so. ****in. cool.

I don't even focus on playing or anything really. I don't care if I win or lose with him, it's just such a blast to pull off a good play. He's reviving my wispy spirits with regard to actually having fun in smash. He feels so much more fluid and potent than ever before, and words cannot describe his aerial sideb.

How have the lot of you enthusiasts survived the dopamine explosion that is Ganondorf?

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
so i just wanna say that even as a longtime m2 fanboy (he's actually the reason I got pm)... Ganon is just so. ****in. cool.

I don't even focus on playing or anything really. I don't care if I win or lose with him, it's just such a blast to pull off a good play. He's reviving my wispy spirits with regard to actually having fun in smash. He feels so much more fluid and potent than ever before, and words cannot describe his aerial sideb.

How have the lot of you enthusiasts survived the dopamine explosion that is Ganondorf?
It take's experience brah! :p

I dont know if this is common knowledge, but footstool > stomp is guarenteed on the whole cast, and gets them out of shields. I was messing around with footstool stuff and i found this and i ****ed.
Yeah, i think Bandi mentioned it a few days ago too.

Quote below:

Sup Guys!?

So... I don't really know if this technique known, if not, naming rights belong solely to me - I call it the "StompStomp". It's probably a surefire stock, if you ask me.

How it's done :
1.)Adhere the footstole function to a button of your choice.
2.)Condition your enemy to shield your attacks. Spam Bairs/Nairs/the Foot.
3.)If your enemy shields, do a short footstool - the opponent can't shield for a few seconds and is probably caught offguard
4.)STOMP!
5.)???????
6.)profit!

Caught the best P:M player in Austria with this technique offguard, disrespected him and got a boner at the same time. It's just so much win!

After that I pretty much lost.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah I messed around with it some more on different characters. A lot of characters it is guarenteed, like kirby/puff/ganon. Some character's footstool animation has their head lower so you can't stomp on it. The distance ganon goes after a footstool is really short so it works on most of the vast.

Frame wise, footstooling puts the stooler in 8 frames of lag, and the one being footstooled in 28 frames of lag, so 20 frames advantage to the one footstooling. Dair hitboxs are out on the 16th through 20th frames, so that's definitely a 3-4 frame window for inputing the dair where it is guarenteed for it to hit (if the character's footstool animation is one that allows for it to hit).

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Whether it's garanteed or not it definetely needs more attention, because being able to force someone out of shield from the air is no joke.

Now I only need to find which button I should put taunt on... Goddamit I use everything already.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Whether it's garanteed or not it definetely needs more attention, because being able to force someone out of shield from the air is no joke.

Now I only need to find which button I should put taunt on... Goddamit I use everything already.
Why not X? I always use Y to jump so that's what I have it set to. And yeah, this tech is good ****. Someone actually just brought it over to the Mario forums too so everyone's freaking out over there, though we don't have a stomp to capitalize with.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Somehow I managed to get 5th at the weekly out of like 53 people (tied with Secret Sauce LOL). The funny thing is I wasn't actually intending on competing, I was feeling really tired and wanted to rest up for our monthly saturday. But as I was setting up the stream and stuff, I noticed a lot of good players showing up and I decided I might as well compete. Maybe I perform at my best under the mindset that I suck o_O

I don't have work today (YES) so I'll try to get the matches up today.

CORY

wut
BRoomer

well, the fact that ganon is kind of bad overall, matchup-wise, helps to temper the amazing awesomeness that is playing him : p
, and gets them out of shields.
like, if they're shielding, it makes them drop shield?

FOOTSTOOLS DO THAT?! all this time i thought you would just bounce off their shield, giving you a muddier approach. if they drop their shield, that's the sickest : o

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
like, if they're shielding, it makes them drop shield?

FOOTSTOOLS DO THAT?! all this time i thought you would just bounce off their shield, giving you a muddier approach. if they drop their shield, that's the sickest : o
It's even better than that. It makes them bounce on the ground if they miss the tech, which they probably will at this point in the meta, and leads to a free dair that will pop up them up. At low percents, this can lead into ANOTHER FOOTSTOOL, which leads into another dair that pops them up. I can't remember who posted it, but somebody has a video up where they combo a Snake at 0% with a down throw -> footstool -> stomp -> footstool -> stomp -> stomp and it could have even added an aerial flame choke onto it. **** looked so sexy.

Edit: found the vidya

Credit to Hungry Headcrab: http://www.twitch.tv/punkpanda777/b/520534996?t=86m

Last edited:
Top Bottom