• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Possibilites

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Recently, I've started to play around with strange jab followups. By strange I mean "Not the standard Jab 1->Jab 2, Jab 1->Grab, Jabcancel". Essentially, it's a bunch of interesting possibilities that I like to employ on occasion. I'm sure most of these aren't combos, as such, they rely on your opponent. I'm just throwing these out there, I'm sure a few of them are known.

Jab to Up Tilt

It's quite wondrous, especially on stages with low ceilings like the Halberd. It's fast, and it does the same amount of damage as jab 2+3.

Jab to Ftilt

It's sluggish in nature, but getting them with this near the edge is a swift KO.

Jab to Dsmash
Metroid told me about this one, and it works well on the lighter characters, as the move does have killing potential, albeit less than Ike's other moves.

Jab to Eruption (Yeah, I know)
I did this just earlier today in a friendly match, basically, the enemy managed to recover from the jab, jab himself, but he fell right into the SA frames. One of the most rewarding kills I've gotten lately.

Jab to Aether
I have a hunch that this might actually be a combo, as in the testing I've done by myself I've failed to escape it (Though it may just be me). I usually do this on bigger characters, and they'll take a boatload of damage from it.

So, feel free to discuss what you like to do after a jab, and tell me if any of these work (Or are true combos, which would be a massive boon).

•Col•

Smash Champion
Meh...

However... the Jab to Aether sounds interesting... o_O Aether in itself does like 20%... xD Are you sure it's inescapable???

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Meh...

However... the Jab to Aether sounds interesting... o_O Aether in itself does like 20%... xD Are you sure it's inescapable???
I'm not entirely sure that it's inescapable, but I've tried numerous things (Albeit only by myself, so there may be a timing error). Air dodging and DI don't work for sure, but I'm going to test some more, just in case. I'm sure Marth's up B would work, but I don't think Snake or Dedede have anything that fast, and the large characters are the ones it affects greatly.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Out of that list, the Jab -> Dsmash is the fastest out of all of them, but it's not very reliable since the 2nd jab kicks your opponent upward slightly. Might be better if you do it after the 1st jab though.

The F-tilt and D-Smash are great mindgame tactics though, but I never tried Aether, so I'll get back to you on that one, but anything that can add Aether into Ike's metagame would be great.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What about Jab->Jab->Dtilt off the stage on larger characters? I think at the right %s, the would bounce high enough up that the Dtilt would hit them before they grabbed the ledge, but still low enough down that the Dtilt doesn't swing at air. I can't test it though, moving.

Jab->Counter could work for mindgames maybe........

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
You may call me a silly fool, but I recently discovered that holding down the A button while jabbing is far more effective than pressing it in most circumstances. Even doing two hits manually and starting over with the automatic helps to advance you a little further if they're just out of reach, and if they dodge the second hit, you can start it over immediately and try as many times as you like if you're doing the automatic.

I'm certain most found that out centuries ago, but I thought I might just throw that out there. As for follow-ups, I really don't know any. Just finishing the combo always worked for me. Better give these a try.

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
What about Jab->Jab->Dtilt off the stage on larger characters? I think at the right %s, the would bounce high enough up that the Dtilt would hit them before they grabbed the ledge, but still low enough down that the Dtilt doesn't swing at air. I can't test it though, moving.

1. Already demonstrated in Rykoshet's video "That's Just Bad DI"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZv0bFeUDSQ

2. And jab->counter wouldn't be of much use seeing that you're already going on the offense.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Jab to aether is escapable but it's a reaction to your opponent jumping out of your jab cancel, my next video is gonna be up in a week or so and itll have a lot of jab variations, including aether and returning use of jab to dtilt

metroid1117

Smash Master
If only DSmash had more power :(...

I can actually see Jab -> Aether working if they DI upward during the second jab to try and escape getting DSmashed. However, some character's aerials like Marth's FAir, Lucas' FAir/NAir, and others are fast enough to hit you after the jab if they start to expect it.

Jab -> Eruption sounds amusing.

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
If only DSmash had more power :(...

I can actually see Jab -> Aether working if they DI upward during the second jab to try and escape getting DSmashed. However, some character's aerials like Marth's FAir, Lucas' FAir/NAir, and others are fast enough to hit you after the jab if they start to expect it.

Jab -> Eruption sounds amusing.
I used to use Jab->Aether (seldomly) against my rival that mains Marth. I stopped using it after awhile since he manages to escape it, or goes for a shield.

As for Jab->Eruption, despite how amusing, the opponent will back away once they see the glow. But then again it's useful for those that try to roll right behind you when using the jab combo.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I've done the Jab -> F-tilt or U-tilt but never really the others. Guess I should start trying them more often in my matches.

D

Deleted member

Jab to other jabs

jab to nothing and watch what they do and react. because this game punishes all non-reactive play methods. A lot. Better to just jab and stand there and punish with something that hits harder.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion

Jab to Dtilt works like a charm, I can't believe I forgot it. Jab to Counter can work, but it's pretty risky. Then again, Eruption is too.

Jab to aether is escapable but it's a reaction to your opponent jumping out of your jab cancel, my next video is gonna be up in a week or so and itll have a lot of jab variations, including aether and returning use of jab to dtilt
Ah, so it is escapable. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm looking forward to the next video.

He stole your idea Kirk 0.0
I..er..am slightly confused.

Jab to other jabs

jab to nothing and watch what they do and react. because this game punishes all non-reactive play methods. A lot. Better to just jab and stand there and punish with something that hits harder.
Jab->Nothing actually seems like it has applications.

That said, would anyone particularly want me to organize this somewhat and update the topic with jab follow-ups?

D

Deleted member

jab or forward throw to final smash. best used around 60%

Royta

Smash Journeyman
A jab->aether near the edge might give you that onehit kill move (dunno if there is a nice term for it).
You know, you use aether, and he gets spiked to death while you grab the legde. Something like that:p
Perhaps that could work..
You could also always try to to a retreating Fair after a jab, if you want to give yourself a nice breather :/

Kirk

Smash Champion

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've been using Jab -> Aether lately on my brawl buddies and I'm actually lovin it. It's a good alternative to D-tilt when going for the kill.

"Aw crap he's gonna D-tilt spike me, better DI upwar--WTF AETHER!?"

D

Deleted member

jab and forward throw both combo to great aether. pretty much a guaranteed KO vs any character on any neutral stage around 60%. GA can start killing around 40% on light characters, but better to just go to 60 and do your free set-up into a free KO.

XACE-K

Smash Master
jab and forward throw both combo to great aether. pretty much a guaranteed KO vs any character on any neutral stage around 60%. GA can start killing around 40% on light characters, but better to just go to 60 and do your free set-up into a free KO.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or actually listen to you. Am I missing something about items now being used in tournies?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Stupid idea that I'm just throwing out there...

Jab->QD(Away)?...
Jab 1 / Jab 1 +2 -> Quick Draw (Reverse) CAN work, but I'd rather just roll backwards, it's faster.

Now, Jab 1 + Jab 2 + Jab 3 -> Quick Draw (Front) can apply pressure and then go into an Up Tilt or a Forward Tilt, but it's kind of risky.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Jab > Forward smash (GREAT FOR LAG) THIS!!! Works when people spot dodge after getting hit by jab

Shouldn't you add Jab > Grab >_> that's like basics

Jab > Nair ;o i think that works (imagine jab > nair > jab combo lol)

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
How about jab->jab->Pivot grab? Usually my opponents try to shield/spotdodge the second or third hit so I go for a pivot grab. Still surprised to see that most people don't see it coming though.

FightCity

Smash Cadet
How about jab->jab->Pivot grab? Usually my opponents try to shield/spotdodge the second or third hit so I go for a pivot grab. Still surprised to see that most people don't see it coming though.
I find that if they're spot dodging the grab in the jab->jab-> grab you can actually fsmash when the grab timing is and it'll hit them on the recovery of their spot dodge. Pretty sweet way to to land fsmash if you ask me. It seemed to work a lot vs my buddy anyways. Anyone else do this?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Canceling after the first hit and hitting them with another punch is always advisable, as it has little knockback and sufficient hitstun to land the second punch without ending the possibility to cancel the jab sequence again.

Top Bottom