• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Vermy

Smash Champion
hmm.

Ivysaur has a long wind down animation for her dash, so she has an amazing dash attack fake. Would we be able to incorporate the two together?
Typh Dash Attack hype.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
WHAT. IS. TYPHDASHING. I'll probably mangle the next level 3 ratatta that steps out from the tall grass in front of me with my bare hands if I can't get an answer. Somebody please answer me because this is REALLY starting to piss me off.

Vermy

Smash Champion
So i just played vs a lvl9 cpu bowser on delfino plaza.
Ibysaur caught him in bulletseed at 0% and he was almost out, the stage changes and he starts to move down the seed stream. hitting him for over 80%. Granted with SDI this isn't a realistic number, we should take advantage of this. It was like an elevator of bullsh*tseed.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Yes. Yes it is. Off to do more testing with other stages.

Btw. Very nice Zard. Decent Squirtle. Ivy needs work. Of course, that might be the matchup. Marth trims her hedges pretty hard.

Also, anyone tried stutter stepping Ivy's fsmash? Gives her a little step back instead of forward. Nerfs the range of fsmash, but works as a safer way of landing it. Retreating fsmash could have a lot of potential.

Vermy

Smash Champion
RUN right and TILT left. Tilt. Meaning don't smash the stick, slightly and softly TILT the stick.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, anyone tried stutter stepping Ivy's fsmash? Gives her a little step back instead of forward. Nerfs the range of fsmash, but works as a safer way of landing it. Retreating fsmash could have a lot of potential.
I do it a lot. It's the best way to land it, really, as it helps you get out of the way of an attack while still maintaining excellent range on your attack.

Luigi player

Smash Master
RUN right and TILT left. Tilt. Meaning don't smash the stick, slightly and softly TILT the stick.
Yeah I try it but it doesn't work... >.<

If I press the 2nd direction too fast I just dash again, if I don't press too fast I'll perform the full dash... :(

T-block

B2B TST
Just keep practising...if you dash again it probably means you're hitting the control stick too far. You want to return it to just past neutral to pivot.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The bulletseed thing is pretty cool, while I never plan it like that, it is pretty sweet to have someone almost free of your bulletseed and the stage forcing them back down into it. Delfino is my favorite stage for all my mains. Does this work on halberd perhaps?

Is more knockback/hitlag= more SDI per hit? Because SDIing out of bulletseed seems alot tougher than getting a very obvious teleport when you SDI a spike or smash.

Vermy

Smash Champion
It works on Rainbow Cruise too. I had a lulz Bullet Seed KO against a Snake there once
Did that to a DK on Castle Seige. Went from the underground transformation to the castle one, and we were on the left hand side. He'd accedentally used up his midair jump, and so i made it bac and he didn't XD

T-block

B2B TST
Heh...mine was BS KO off the top though ;D The stage was moving down towards the ship and I had him in the stream, and it like pushed him right on top of the bulb in the middle of the stream. Then when it ended he was so preoccupied with keeping up with the stage I just hit B again and the pop-up killed him. I survived that too lol

CoonTail

Smash Lord
It's true. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it if you are already going to die though.
Eh I like this concept but honestly if you mindgame them and wait for a sec you have an oppourtunity to tether the edge. Sadly enough people dont realize Ivy has the longest tether in the game.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
I agree with you Ice **** but that is only when the players don't know the Ivy matchup. Once playing with people who are experienced in the matchup and if for some reason you do end up in that situation, the player will know how long they should stay until letting go of the edge.

Also whats up dude! haha I think I remember your name as pokemonmaster or something like that XD Anyways yeah those games were pretty tight! Didn't expect you to SD at such low percent lol.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I deff agree man but then again that same argument applies for stage spiking them with the Vine whip so either way we both know its a horrid situation its jus a matter of whether your opp is quick to assume the gimp or slow to get off the edge. Either way both scenarios if ending positive result in Ivy looking better which is always a good thing lol

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
once you are out of vine whip's hitbox range, the opponent has no reason to get off the ledge, so having the longest tether doesn't help all that much

Vermy

Smash Champion
Elaborate.

I.E. how is it performed, how is it more beneficial than a retreating fsmash etc.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Studder stepped everything is better with PT for some reason its so **** funny. I guess pokemon love having twitchy feet ****ing IV's

Vermy

Smash Champion
Squirtles abilty in the games is Torrent.
Ivysaur's is Overgrow.
Charizard's is Blaze.

These abilities are supposed to give the pokemon's same type attack a 1.5x bonus.

Instead, Sakurai thought it'd be smarter to make them do the exact opposite, but lucario can have it.

Sakurai used Nasty Plot.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Off topic: Sakurai already said he won't be in charge of the next Smash. =D

On topic: what do y'all think of ivy vs pit?

Top Bottom