• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i know

i didn't react to the roll fast enough but if i did it would have been the greatest thing ever

Bomber7

Smash Hero
OK so I was in training mode and I started out with Ivysaur to just practice edge option with Ivysaur. Well when I was on the edge, I jumped away from it ( one full hop length) and as I did my vine came with me then I just fell naturally. The odd part is that there was no gap seen between Ivysaur and the ledge it was weird. It reminds me of Link/TL's option on the ledge where they drop and hit Z and they drop down with their chain and then shoot back to the ledge to replenish invincibility frames while edgeguarding only that's not what happened.

_ = FD
o =Ivy

>>>>>>>> o
________

just picture a vine connecting Ivy to the stage. Like I said, there was no disconnection from the ledge and as I jumped the vine stayed on the stage, it didn't shoot out. Even on instant tethers, I can catch when the vine comes out.

Thoughts?

never mind I think I found out what I did. carry on.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Vermy used revive!

Baiting airdodges with Razorleaf and punishing with usmash is awesome. Discuss.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Apparently it's not that reliable.

If you're gonna punish with usmash, you must be on the ground, meaning they must near the ground too.

They must be just landing because everyone who's actually on the ground would just powershiled rather than jump and airdodge .

But apparently an airdodge cancels when it hits the ground, meaning they could escape/punish you.

Or do you mean actually hit them wit hrazor leaf, then rush in with a hyphen smash anticipating an airdodge? That used to work for me online sometimes but apparently that's unreliable too.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Here's what I mean:

You've knocked an opponent offstage, and they're getting back on with their second jump. You throw a razor leaf at mid range. It hits, and they're in a bad position. They dodge, you dash usmash on reaction.

Tech chase, baby.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Sounds good to me.

I think I just discovered a new AT for Ivysaur!!!!!!! (sorry; this is a big moment for me if it's true: I will actually have contributed to this board in a good way!)

Ok, here goes: as some of you may know, those of you with reeaaaaaaaally long memories, i briefly became an olimar main because I could beat my best friend's Kirby with him easier than I could with PT. Well, I remembered an AT for Olimar and thought it might work for Ivysaur, too. I magine it would work for any other character with a tether recovery as well. they call it Tether-platform cancellng. Here's how it works: if you jump through a platform and do your tether recovery, if you land while still doing the tether, you will land with absolutely no lag and immediately be able to do any move (that was as doubly redundant as saying the same thing twice). To know if you do it correctly: if Ivysaur lands on his back and then bounces onto his feet, you're not doing it. He should just straight land on his feet and look like he has been standing there. If you do it, you'll get what I mean. If this was known to work for all characters wth a tether recovery, i give full credit to Shrinkray. if not, cool. Thoughts? There's a vid on the oli boards showing Shrinkray doing a ravage combo with it. I'll post it in just a sec.

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSnh3q1-WQ4
at 0:29

Vermy

Smash Champion
Sorry to burst your bubble Beastie Boy, but its known.
=/

Its good, but not as useful as Oli's. Oli is a combos like an F1, ivy combos like a tractor.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think at Voodoo Smash I'm going to start as Ivy just to get the feeling of her more. She is my second best pokemon.... I think. Charz still has it pretty decent too. I dont feel as immobile with him, I feel fluent which is good.

Charizard is still my least favorite to start with (kinda feel like I want to save him as my ace in the hole)

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Instant Aerials is the new rage.

Like you instant tether straight into aerials.

Its really hot, and I think I might also change the properties of aerials.

Like I instant tether canceled a Bair and it knocked Snake of his Cypher....

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Instant Aerials is the new rage.

Like you instant tether straight into aerials.

Its really hot, and I think I might also change the properties of aerials.

Like I instant tether canceled a Bair and it knocked Snake of his Cypher....
Was it a fresh B-air miles.....because Im not sure if a fresh b-air can knock a snake out of his cypher but if his damage was high enough and Ivy had no fatigue along with the b-air having been used 0 times before hand it may have been enough to knock him out of it.

Critical hits FTW!!!!

Magik0722

Smash Champion
no way a bair knocked snake off the cypher, a move has do to 7% in a single hitbox to knock him out of it, the snake most likely just let go just before getting hit

Tesh

Smash Hero
Magik is likely correct, but aren't there move that can directly destroy the cypher?

Kith

Smash Ace
I think this was more relevent to a snake who was far enough from the ledge for that to not work.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Look.

You can cancel a lot of the lag on an Ivysaur D-Air by landing on a platform early.

It's relatively easy to do on Battlefield, although it takes a little while to get used to the timing. Just fullhop and C-Stick down when Ivysaur is passing PT's head, more-or-less.

If you do it correctly, the "push" you get from the D-Air will put you "inside" the platform, and you'll land almost immediately. Granted, you still have to "right" yourself, but it's not nearly as much time to wait as normal, so it's relatively safe on shield. It can be done on any platform, as far as I know. I do this against Dedede all the time, and it works quite nicely, since it goes through the platform.

Also, F-Air can go through platforms if you time it correctly...Battlefield is probably my favorite Ivysaur stage. I'm convinced that Ivysaur is much better than people give her credit for as long as she has platforms to play around with.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
That's sooooo wicked. We could all use tips for our Reflexsaur.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
I'm convinced that Ivysaur is much better than people give her credit for as long as she has platforms to play around with.
You're now may favorite person in the world for the next en minutes. Enjoy!

And thanks for those tips. I've messes around with D-Air on platforms before, but never got anything consistant. Have to look into it again. XD

:051:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Look.

You can cancel a lot of the lag on an Ivysaur D-Air by landing on a platform early.

It's relatively easy to do on Battlefield, although it takes a little while to get used to the timing. Just fullhop and C-Stick down when Ivysaur is passing PT's head, more-or-less.

If you do it correctly, the "push" you get from the D-Air will put you "inside" the platform, and you'll land almost immediately. Granted, you still have to "right" yourself, but it's not nearly as much time to wait as normal, so it's relatively safe on shield. It can be done on any platform, as far as I know. I do this against Dedede all the time, and it works quite nicely, since it goes through the platform.

Also, F-Air can go through platforms if you time it correctly...Battlefield is probably my favorite Ivysaur stage. I'm convinced that Ivysaur is much better than people give her credit for as long as she has platforms to play around with.
dont forget your bulb spike people. don't forget your bulb spike.

that is all.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol still to this day nothing is better than an n-air spike on fox or falco leading to a perfect bulb spike. Double spiking space animals really makes me love PT even more

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Look, I'm practicing again, so it's time to help get the ball rolling.

You know how U-Tilt allows you to dodge moves (not like you should get anything out of it)?

I did it on my older brother's Dedede, who was coming from the ledge with a ledge attack. I avoided it and was able to get a free Bullet Seed.

In my head, it seems that Ivysaur U-Tilt covers a LOT of options from the ledge. If they ledge attack, you avoid it and you're in their face.

If they just move forward, the timing's about the same for an attack (usually), so you should still at least be on equal footing as far as frame advantage goes.

If they jump from the ledge, the U-Tilt would hit most characters. That's not saying a whole lot for Ivysaur, but it still covers the option in a positive way.

If they roll from the ledge, you have more time than normal to react, so you should be able to give chase with a grab or something easily.

Depending on the character (especially Dedede, hahah), if they try to ledgehop an aerial, you can often avoid it, since the opponent tries to hit where you would be if you didn't U-Tilt. If you do, it usually puts you at frame advantage, so you may be able to give chase with something.

Seems worth using against people on the edge more often. You just have to look at the timing for when they would release to get the most invincibility frames, usually, and act accordingly. If they start waiting for a second to catch you off-guard, you can just D-Tilt, heh.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-Reflex I have definitely messed around with U-Tilt avoidance, in the mean time I'll just call it U-tilt dodging for now but your correct obviously in the fact that it works great against D3. I didn't know the u-tilt had such good ledge guarding applications. I was aware that on stage you can manage to avoid even D3's grab if you timed it properly so I definitely see what your saying.

My question now becomes are there more legit options for U-tilt dodging is will it be too much time wasted on necessary perfect timing for something that is an attack with a spot dodge stitched together?

Kith

Smash Ace
Well, I can see how this could be useful. I actually want to try to implement this. Up-tilt has veery little ending lag, it may be fun.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Dash attacks are very nasty against Ivysaur--Falco, Snake, and Meta Knight all come to mind. Perhaps we should start throwing U-Tilts in and seeing what happens.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Can we uptilt over those?...I've never actually tested it o.O
I'm pretty positive about Meta Knight's. I'm fairly sure about Falco's, and I only hope it would for Snake.

If I go to Kismet's house today, I'll be sure to test it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We don't have a list of what we can and can't avoid with utilt yet?

Kith

Smash Ace
Sounds good...we need new stuff for Ivysaur and Charizard. They're gettin real jealous of squirtle and all his slidy stuff

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Well it seems that even tho it doesnt do much damage at all, the trajectory that it sends the opponent at leads to lots of follow ups.

And they often dont tech it leading into a tech chase.

But the cutest thing by far is, you can use Ivysaur's Dsmash to jab reset people.

Aerial > Downsmash > READ.

Idk mess with it.

I am also really curious if any one has the frame date to tell me if it is possible to have invincibility for 3 tethers in a row if done perfectly.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, I confirmed that it's very much possible to avoid Falco and Meta Knight's dash attack with U-Tilt, and it's very much impossible to avoid Snake's dash attack with U-Tilt.

Cool thing is, dash attack is usually excellent to hit someone who is near the edge, since Ivysaur is forced to recover at that point, and because they stay close to Ivysaur if shielded, but with an outright avoidance, you can punish them fairly easily for it.

Top Bottom