• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
That's exactly my problem with this. Sakurai DID say in his interview that he was going to avoid clones as readily as possible. So what did we get? Wolf: ANOTHER Fox clone; Lucas: a Ness special moves clone; Falco, Ganondorf, and Toon Link: returning characters who were barely altered.

Really, I think my only real annoyance is Wolf. Why do we need another Fox clone? And why couldn't they think of a new special moveset for Lucas? Like there aren't enough special abilities in Mother3.
they were really wasnt that many choices for the Offensive PSI moves besides PK LOVE and PK Ground though......though maybe they could have used PK Offense Up or something XDD..forgot the name of it XD

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
they were really wasnt that many choices for the Offensive PSI moves besides PK LOVE and PK Ground though......though maybe they could have used PK Offense Up or something XDD..forgot the name of it XD
But remember, the moves all come from other party members in the Mother games. I'm sure they could have thought of something unique for PK Freeze and could have found some other moves for his other 3 attacks.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Why is this topic not locked yet? O_o

Ness is back after all.... unless it's Doopliss in disguise

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
But remember, the moves all come from other party members in the Mother games. I'm sure they could have thought of something unique for PK Freeze and could have found some other moves for his other 3 attacks.
hmm..well thats what im trying to remember: LOVE (AKA Rockin'), Flash, Fire, Freeze, Thunder, Ground, and Starstorm are the offesnive ones

Recovery PSI: Life-Up, Heal, PSI Magnet, Refresh

Assist PSI: Shield, PSI Shield, Offense Up, Offense Down, Defense Up, Defense Down, Hypnosis, Paralysis, Brain Shock, Teleport

so choose the one to yur liking XDDD

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
So long, Ness.....

...... w/b Ness. LOL!!!

.... yeah joke is a little dry by now.

But I remember how this really ruined a lot of people's days. Well, surprise!! ^_^ I'm glad he's back!

Falco for BRAWL

Smash Cadet
whatever, hes back. and for a good reason....
to save lucas so we can play as him in SSE.
a necessary sacrifice.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
He's not a clone. Lucas is :p

Not to mention their A moveset is quite different indeed, and all their B moves have different effects.

It's great news that the Dojo will be going into depth about differences between "clones". Should give some nice insights.

Captain Falcon and Ganon next week plz :p I'd like that mystery to be solved ASAP.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Captain Falcon and Ganon next week plz :p I'd like that mystery to be solved ASAP.
FYI: Ganondorf's still a clone. I think his FS is still clone-like as well. I believe he runs through you as Ganon and then goes away, returning to fight as Ganondorf; much like how CFalcon hops in his racer, runs through you, and then hops back out to fight again.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
He's back, but I told you guys he would be a clone.
just what Super Link said before me...Lucas is a clone (more of a Luigi to be precise)....Not Ness....why, u ask? because Ness was in the smash world first, not Lucas....its by appearing in the series...not by the appearance in the game

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
FYI: Ganondorf's still a clone. I think his FS is still clone-like as well.
Their FS' are very different really, just as different as any non-clone characters FS (except Landmasters.... lol) CF's hits you, then there is a small cut-scene showing Port Town, and his racer hits you again from down the track. Ganon's just lunges forward and gives you massive damage.

And I want the dojo updates of Captain Falcon and Ganondorf so I can SEE the specifics of their differences, like what Sakurai did here with Ness.

Part of me wishes these leaks had never happened, because for a Ness fan with no hope left at all, this would have been the greatest surprise of all time.

Dark_Cloud

Smash Apprentice
First page of this topic makes me laugh. Some people were dead on right.. where some people were so wrong its funny. "face it, ness it gone"

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I seriously thought about going through all 20 pages of this thread and picking out people who made fun of Ness supporters, and create a post/thread that specifically, in turn, told them how dumb they look now. I still may do that...after class though.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I kind of feel bad for those who deconfirmed Ness a long time ago...I know it's late in saying it now, but really...

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I kind of feel bad for those who deconfirmed Ness a long time ago...I know it's late in saying it now, but really...
y? they were so frigging arrogant about that "Up Until now" comment and the idea that Sakurai had to replace Ness with Lucas almost 7 years ago they didnt even stop to think about the chance that he CAN come back...in fact, in my case... this is a good wake-up call to them not to automatically assume what going to happen in smash....

Fawriel

Smash Master
Or how about you slowly finish the gloat-fest?
You were lucky. Good for you. Time to go on with your lives.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
The thing is, there were about two traps from Sakurai that led us to believe that Ness really wouldn't return:

1) Sakurai had mentioned he was going to avoid clones. We saw Lucas' special moves, and assumed that since there wouldn't be clones, Ness was out.

2) "Up until now..." What this really should have meant was that Ness is gone. What they should have said was something like "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series since the beginning,". I'm just willing to bet that some wires got mixed up.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Or how about you slowly finish the gloat-fest?
You were lucky. Good for you. Time to go on with your lives.
its only gloating if i have ever said that Ness was still going to be in period (^^)v...but i didnt...so its not XDDDDDDDD Im just happy they finally shut up XD (^^)v

The thing is, there were about two traps from Sakurai that led us to believe that Ness really wouldn't return:

1) Sakurai had mentioned he was going to avoid clones. We saw Lucas' special moves, and assumed that since there wouldn't be clones, Ness was out.
how would Ness be a clone if he was the MOTHER rep who appeared first in the whole SSB series????:dizzy:

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Luck is a word used to describe someone who overcomes poor odds. They weren't lucky, the opposition was stupid for making bad assumptions.

@Dyce:

You know Sakurai never actually said anything regarding clones right? That was just made up by some random group of people and then spread around the internet.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
how would Ness be a clone if he was the MOTHER rep who appeared first in the whole SSB series????:dizzy:
I didn't say Ness was the clone. I was saying that since we saw Lucas had Ness' moveset, we thought he was just replacing Ness because Sakurai wasn't going to have clones. Not to mention that Lucas was intended to replace Ness in Melee.

@Dyce:

You know Sakurai never actually said anything regarding clones right? That was just made up by some random group of people and then spread around the internet.
Actually, yea he did. In the interview from the first Dojo he mentions them.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Luck is a word used to describe someone who overcomes poor odds. They weren't lucky, the opposition was stupid for making bad assumptions.
You were luckier than Ridley, Geno and Krystal supporters. All of who would have made more sense than Ness at that point.

If Sakurai operated on common sense, you would have lost, but since he doesn't, you got lucky and won. That's all.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
You were luckier than Ridley, Geno and Krystal supporters. All of who would have made more sense than Ness at that point.

If Sakurai operated on common sense, you would have lost, but since he doesn't, you got lucky and won. That's all.

It was hard for Geno to be in from the start.People kept forgeting that he's not owned by Nintendo, iSquare tells em ''You can't use Geno'' there isn't much they can do now is there?

You guys set your hopes to high.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
It was hard for Geno to be in from the start.People kept forgeting that he's not owned by Nintendo, iSquare tells em ''You can't use Geno'' there isn't much they can do now is there?

You guys set your hopes to high.
Geno is a 2nd Party character. Yes, he was made by a 3rd Party company, but he will only appear in Mario games (1st Party). Just like in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, the only thing Nintendo needed to do was put in a little disclaimer in the credits noting that "Geno is a registered trademark of the SquareEnix corporation..." blah blah blah etc., and then they have every right to use him.

Mario and Luigi wasn't a big game at the time. It was made mainly by a 2nd Party team, for a handheld system, and was speculated by the public to be a mediocre game at best. I'm not saying it wasn't an amazing game, they weren't going to go all out for it and dish out money like crazy for a 3rd Party character they could have easily interchanged with some generic Mario character for free IF that were the case.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
Geno is a 2nd Party character. Yes, he was made by a 3rd Party company, but he will only appear in Mario games (1st Party). Just like in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, the only thing Nintendo needed to do was put in a little disclaimer in the credits noting that "Geno is a registered trademark of the SquareEnix corporation..." blah blah blah etc., and then they have every right to use him.

Mario and Luigi wasn't a big game at the time. It was made mainly by a 2nd Party team, for a handheld system, and was speculated by the public to be a mediocre game at best. I'm not saying it wasn't an amazing game, they weren't going to go all out for it and dish out money like crazy for a 3rd Party character they could have easily interchanged with some generic Mario character for free IF that were the case.
Doesn't work that way.

Square can still sue them if they didn't ask first and they can't use him if SE say no.Btw, they did have to pay SE for that small cameo.

That's how these contracts work

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
just what Super Link said before me...Lucas is a clone (more of a Luigi to be precise)....Not Ness....why, u ask? because Ness was in the smash world first, not Lucas....its by appearing in the series...not by the appearance in the game
It depends on who they made first for this game... we'll find that out through an interview or something, like we found out about Marth being made before Roy.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Doesn't work that way.

Square can still sue them if they didn't ask first and they can't use him if SE say no.Btw, they did have to pay SE for that small cameo.

That's how these contracts work
Ok fine, have it your way. But explain to me why they would allow to put Geno in a small Mario game, but not for the biggest Nintendo mixer of all time on the most popular video game system of this generation? Not only would they get a big check from Nintendo, they'll also be getting a HUGE amount of royalties for him in the roster.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
いままで (ima made) = "until now, so far, up to the present"
eg. "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series so far, and Lucas is very similar."

It's an EASY slip-up. ima made can mean three different meanings in english, and when read by a bunch of Smash Bros extremist (read: us) it can have a completely different meaning.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if Lucas replaced Ness and Ness got the axe. But what I do care is when people take things to an extreme as we always do, that is when problems and other things can arise.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if Ness is the update tomorrow, followed by a caption by Sakurai saying "Did you actually think he was gone?"

I like this guy. He bucks the trend of irrationality that frequently runs through Smashboards. Good show.

Smash Ace
Geno was and is overrated.
with Ness back though, i want to find that thread (Ness is out. come help those in denial) and see who's in denial now...

=2007=

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I am so glad that I was one of the few that argued that "Up until now.." meant every Smash game including this one. :laugh:

EDIT:

Then again, I did give up after Lucas' Special Moves Update..

Top Bottom