• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
@Kirby Kong:you just didn't read what i said? i know it isn't absolute truth but hey,i just can't see Ness
being an unlockable again....
I read it, and it makes sense. But you must know that Ness/Lucas are a special case.

First of all, Ness has been using Lucas' moves the entire time.
Second, Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee.

So perhaps Ness was never meant to be a starter in Melee, and it just so happened because of time constraints. They couldn't get Lucas in, so they just kept Ness and made him the starter (just to fill Lucas' role).

Now with the new game coming out, they've had plenty of time to think this over. And perhaps they chose to make Lucas a starter (though he's basically Ness, since he's using almost same moves... aka his own moves), but since Ness had been in all games thusfar, it doesn't make sense to cut him.

So it's very possible that they'll return him to an unlockable character, and give him a new moveset from his OWN game.

Who's to say they never planned to have both Lucas and Ness in Melee?

You might say that a character who's gone from unlockable to starter can't go back to unlockable, but what if he was never meant to be a starter in Melee in the first place... and they broke their own continuity?

**** happens when things don't get done on time. And we know something went wrong with Lucas and Ness in Melee, so it's only smart to assume this is not a normal case. So we can't apply the normal rules.

Besides, Ness has an established fanbase. He's already known among smash players. He has easy access to a new moveset, since they never used his own moves anyway. It would be really stupid to exclude Ness, and I really doubt it's going to happen.

Ness being playable is an easy way to make the players happy. It's a returning character, so you know people will accept it. That's not something you can assume with the new guys. It's always a little scare wether or not people will like it.

Ness doesn't have any of these disadvantages, and it would be the perfect opportunity to have multiple MOTHER characters in the game for a change. Namely... Lucas... AND Ness.

Now tell me, if you've read all this... you still think it's impossible?

Foe

Smash Journeyman
That changed how I feel about the situation. Ness does have a shot now in my opinion.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I still feel that Ness has a shot, but The_Kirby_Kong, you are wrong in so many places.

Ness hasn't been using Lucas' moves. Ness was using these moves before Mother 3 was even a game.

Ness' moveset WAS from his own game, they just weren't all his moves. He shared some with Paula and Poo.

Lucas and Ness weren't both planned to be in Melee, Lucas was planned to replace Ness. End of statement. But I figure somehow some wires were crossed, and it was too late to develop Lucas the way they wanted to in time, so they had to stick with Ness.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
I still feel that Ness has a shot, but The_Kirby_Kong, you are wrong in so many places.

Ness hasn't been using Lucas' moves. Ness was using these moves before Mother 3 was even a game.

Ness' moveset WAS from his own game, they just weren't all his moves. He shared some with Paula and Poo.

Lucas and Ness weren't both planned to be in Melee, Lucas was planned to replace Ness. End of statement. But I figure somehow some wires were crossed, and it was too late to develop Lucas the way they wanted to in time, so they had to stick with Ness.
Alright, I can't deny that you have a point there. But still, I hold on that Lucas and Ness are a special case. And Ness still has a good chance due to popularity and acces to new moveset.

Also I kinda like the feeling of going back to the roots... Luigi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Ness being back to unlockables. :)

But most importantly, including Ness doesn't hurt anybody, while it surely must make a lot of people happy. So if he's really getting cut, I wouldn't call it a smart move.

Only time will tell, and I have nothing more to add to this debate. :)

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
If Ness returns he'll be an unlockable character because seriously has Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Luigi truly been confirmed yet?

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
oh well...this is really a special case....i aceppt that! =D

and atleast you agree he's in,you don't go like:
"ZOMG NESS IS OUT FOREVER HAHAHAHAH!!!!"

so i like this.

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
OMG @ RegalBuster and fighterkirby7.
What are you guys? Butt-buddies or something?

Anyway, I just don't want to see an original moveset removed from Brawl just because "it isn't the most recent in the series".
what are you talking about?
and yes a agree with you.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
See, what I want to know is why people are so overzealous to say a character is out. How does it hurt to actually wait until the game is out or at least until we have actual conclusive proof that Ness isn't in Brawl?

Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee? So what? Plans change. 'Up until now'? Completely ambiguous language. Lucas has some of Ness' moves? Movesets can change.

You're free to think it's likely Ness won't return. Honestly, I'm starting to have my doubts too. The problem is saying with CERTAINTY that Ness won't return. Just wait a couple months (or even less than that if we get the full roster through some other source) for Brawl to come out and there will be conclusive proof that Ness is either in or out.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
If Ness returns he'll be an unlockable character because seriously has Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Luigi truly been confirmed yet?

Yea, but we all know Luigi, Ganon and Falcon are coming back. It's not like when Brawl was first announced we were wondering if Fox and Zelda were coming back.

Aamon

Smash Cadet
I don't think Ness is gone.
He and Lucas will probably just be semi-clones like Mario and Luigi.

jamesbuc

Smash Rookie
yeah it would be stupied if ness or luigi didn't make it
There would be a lot of annoyed people if Luigi was out of the game as hes managed to gain a pretty suprising (to me anyway) fan base. Ness however has pretty much been replaced with Lucas.

I would sure like to see him make an appearance as an extra character though (Maybe there could be an 'unlock box' when opened replaces everyone with the clone characters :) )

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I would sure like to see him make an appearance as an extra character though (Maybe there could be an 'unlock box' when opened replaces everyone with the clone characters :) )

Doubt it.

I'm calling Lucas to have a Ness color swap, with Ness's shirt, and POSSIBLY black hair.

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
THE BUMP OF JUSTICE!

Ness needs to be in with a new moveset.and Claus too he NEEDS to be in.

so Mother= 3 characters me thinks it should be like this.

SUB Z€R0

Smash Apprentice
i liked ness, i doubt he'll be in, but lucas looks sooo much better and all the things i hated about ness are now gone

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
How to play update:

"It seems my previous update, Lucas: Special Moves, has caused some confusion. For those of you who actually thought Ness will still be in Brawl, he won't. End of story."
if he only he did say that.............but he didnt.....so Ness still has a chance of being in it....end of story (^^)v

courte

Smash Lord
i can proudly say i refuse to believe ness is out --i think he is in without a doubt

i also hear "your logic" as well as george bush hears common sense... with a pretzel

courte

Smash Lord
Does it seem right, though, to take a veteran's moveset and change it? See, Lucas has his special moves (not in general, just what they look like), so w/e you guys say, Sakurai's made up his mind.
...ur sig IS gross... lol

alan8tor

Smash Rookie
you dont know that

it hasent been announced that ness wont return
but personally i would be better off without him

antimatter

Smash Lord
i think he's in, due to the fact no unlockable character from previous smashes have been shown.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Are ther still people trying to deconfirm Ness around here? Look, Ness has a great chance of being in and I really hope that he is. Seriously, if he isn't I'm going to use Lucas as a punching bag at every single opportunity.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Are ther still people trying to deconfirm Ness around here? Look, Ness has a great chance of being in and I really hope that he is. Seriously, if he isn't I'm going to use Lucas as a punching bag at every single opportunity.
No, sadly trhere's still like 4 people in the world that think he has a chance.

Tonight's update definately deconfirms Ness, because he wa sonly good for that one event with Coin Mode, and since he's not in the one for Brawl, he's out.

Top Bottom